Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• Thanks for the info. intersting stuff...I also have the keyless entry system that I use and never actually press the FOB to enter into the car. I think I will experiement a little to see if this is part of the problem.

Can't say I have noticed a distinct pattern here but perhaps my car is usually in "sleep" mode? When this happens, it is a 25 sec delay for full power. I tried a few scenarios today and so far the only time I can get the idrive display to respond immediately is when I have just turned off the car and turned back on the electronics (or ignition) within 2-3 min.

Any further information or thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Will,

I do not have comfort access but it should work the same way. Also, if you were to open any door or trunk before you start the car, the i-drive will come out of sleep mode and initialize. After you do this, you will notice that the "lawyer" screen appears immediately and it never goes to the "BMW" screen.

25 seconds seems to be longer than I have experienced.

Good luck.
  • I'm looking for clarification on a Bluetooth question. Cell phones allow for several phone numbers under one contact, i.e., home, work, cell, etc. When using the Bluetooth in the 5 Series and scrolling through the address book, which of the several possible phone numbers under a given contact will come up? Is it the first one stored under a particular contact? Is there a way to choose among the two or three numbers you might have stored under a given contact? Thanks.
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    I have the BMW BT phone kit installed in my 2003 530i and use a Motorola RAZR V3i (with iTunes). The BT phonebook downloads all the V3i entries (Home, Work, Mobile, Main), so there are multiple entries for each contact. When I display a phonebook entry, the name appears first and then the associated phone #. The BT system cannot interpret the different catagories so I need to know which number is which before I press the "dial" button. I just scroll thru the entries until I see the entry I want to dial.

Hope this helps.....JL
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    I come back at least once a week here and when it was gone it was as though I'd lost contact with an old friend, glad it's back.
  • Thanks for all the feedback on whether I should keep my 525i. After reviewing all of the feedback and sincere prayer, I have decided to keep my 525i and forego the additional warranty. Aside from the routine maintenance, it has been trouble free.

Thanks again.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Don't hesitate to check back in should you have any service or repair questions.
  • My wife's X3 will do the same thing. It seems to be based on how long it has been since the last time the car was turned off.

Here is what I notice. If we pull into a gas station, turn the car off, pump the gas and then restart the car, the BMW screen comes up as if there is a re-boot going on.

However, if we turn the car off, go grocery shopping for an hour and come back out the lawyer screen "almost" immediately appears -- as if, I had assumed, we had been gone long enough for a full, orderly, normal shutdown and re-boot. IN OTHER WORDS, it almost seems backwards to my laptop with Windows XP.

We do not leave the key in the car overnight, BTW.

Sometimes, too, we'll notice that the phone seems to have to wait perhaps 30 seconds before the handsfree functionality (we have the BMW in arm rest cradle) comes on line after a shutdown of some short duration.

Is there a "hard drive" in these things? Remember my wife's X3 with factory Nav and Bluetooth is NOT iDrive (its a 2005.) It almost acts as if there is a sleep mode as if the electronics get shut down and your "settings are saved" to either a hard drive or a flash drive and the transfer speed is not fast, so we wait for the reboot, so to speak.

I have a HD DVD player from Toshiba at home, it too takes time to boot up from "rest." Maybe since both the BMW and the HD DVD are "computers" the initialization process needs to restart from step "0" sometimes and other times it can restart from a "checkpoint."

I'm fresh out of ideas, but we have the same situation.

My Audi A6 (2005) used to have the same issues, but then I got the 2007 MMI software update which now eliminates the lawyer screen and boot up appears damn near instantaneous.

Perhaps there is a newer iDrive version you are entitled to.

:confuse:
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Does Audi have the update to get rid of the lawyer screen too? I knew BMW's progman updates were doing it, but this is the first I hard of the Audis.

Did you have to do anything to get that update (as in report some kind of MMI problem)?

-Paul
  • Just curious if anyone here considered the 7 series and then opted for the 5 (or the other way around). I was on the BMW site and compared the specs of the 550i to the 750i and they seemed quite similar in terms of interior dimensions. Also, the feature content seemed to be very close. I'm sure that the 5 is a sportier ride vs the more lux of the 7 though. Any input is appreciated.
  • Funny you would ask this question! I am considering a used 750i with many bells and whistles from an independent dealer in NVA vs a new 525i or xi. Hands down the 750 has more room and a flashier interior, but the value and reliability are not as good. In looking at Consumer Reports, they gave the 06 750 a very low score for overall reliability and interior materials. One dealer (Farid at Passport BMW) in MD gave me a deal I could not refuse, so I am picking up the 525xi tomorrow.

Good luck with your decisions.
    I've been looking for a new commuter sled, and I've found several nice E39s. The one that really caught my eye was a gorgeous CPO 2003 540iA Sport at my local dealer. I especially loved the color(Topaz Blue) and the M Technic bodykit. It also had a Dinan ECU re-map and CAI. The only drawback was the slushbox(BLEAH!!!), but I figured I could live with it for as little as I'd drive it. I finally got a chance to check it out today and the bloody thing has every BMW option EXCEPT HEATED SEATS! What kind of idiot orders a $60,000 car -in Cincinnati no less- and leaves off the heated seats? Didn't even stick around to drive it. I'm about ready to get in touch with my inner redneck and buy a Charger Daytona or SRT8. Then again, I'm also looking at an E39 M5 tomorrow.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,390
    '03 V8 powered E39s are sweet cars! Dude, there is no way you'll be happy with a slushbox (maybe an '03 540iA) or an American car. The E39's driving dynamics would help ease the pain of owning a slushbox, but the Charger...I don't know.

I'd love to get my hands on an '03 540i Sport or '03 M5 in a couple of years!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

In addition to the M5 I'm going to check out a 2003 530i Sport tomorrow. The knock on the 530 is that it's painted that boring Sterling Gray color. I can't understand why everyone wants a Bimmer in black or silver. Bleah!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "What kind of idiot orders a $60,000 car -in Cincinnati no less- and leaves off the heated seats?"

Hey! I resemble that remark! I ordered my 2002 530i 5-Speed, PP, SP, Xenon and Premium Audio and specifically didn't order either the heat-seaters or the CWP. Why? I had them on one car, used them once, HATED the uncomfortable feeling and never used them again. So, no heat-seaters for my cars unless they are standard equipment. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,390
    Funny you should say that. My Dad's '04 X5 3.0iA SP is Sterling Grey/Black Leather while my Mom's '05 E60 530iA (non-sport) is Black/Black Leather :P The Sterling Silver on the X5 looks really sharp with the black trim from the Sports Package. After over 58,000 miles it still looks near perfect after it is washed. One of the many "perks" when you work for your Dad and it is the day after Thanksgiving and business is a little slow...."Here, go get my truck washed."

I do agree that there are too many silver cars out there. I was behind a 996 911 Turbo coming home from work today in Silver... Don't get me wrong, it was pretty, but with colors like Speed Yellow & Lapis Blue on the Porsche Pallet how do you pick Silver?

I really dig white BMWs, the blues are nice too. The black BMWs look downright sinister with Sport Packages.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

No offense intended, it's just that I like heated seats. Whatever car I buy will be my commuter sled for at least five years, so I'm going to make darn sure it's equipped EXACTLY the way I like it. On top of that, I was ready to buy the car Friday -just in time for a nice weekend trip- and finding the heated seats missing was just incredibly frustrating.
    When you have a long gravel driveway a black car NEVER looks clean. My black M6 was gorgeous but it only looked pristine for maybe ten minutes out of the four years that I owned it... Stirling isn't a bad color, it's just that it seems 99% of newer BMWs are either silver or black. Anyway it's a moot point; today I arrived at The BMW Store just in time to see the Stirling 2003 530i manual Sport being delivered to its new owners. And that was after being ignored at Jake Sweeney BMW, which you can read about in the "Stories From the Sales Frontlines" topic. Hopefully I'll be able to tell you how the Charger SRT8 drives tomorrow. My wife says that I'm getting in touch with my Inner Redneck... ;)
  • I am currently in the market for a new 2007 5 series vehicle. I've narrowed down my wish list to either the 525 or a 530. I have a couple of questions that I hope folks can help me with.

1) HP
    I am not a performance nut, however I like to have adequate power while driving. I am a little concerned that the 525 w/ the 215hp is potentially underpowered especially w/ A/C on and a full load of passengers. I've driven both vehicles and I really can't tell the difference on the performance side.

Should I buy the 530 or go w/ the 525?

2) AWD
    I live in VA and we get bad weather from time to time. Is purchasing the Xi version of these cars worth it? I'd like to be able to drive the vehicle in the winter and I worry that the RWD i just won't cut it.

Should I opt for the AWD version?

Thanks in advance for your help and recommendations.
  • Live in NVA and just picked up a 525 xi from Passport BMW. Had very good experience with Farid (salesman) and his manager. No pressure and willing to negotiate. I heard from another dealer that you can boost the engine horsepower output by installing a chip, as both the 525 and 530 have the same engine. Not sure if this true, hopefully someone out there can let us know. The 525 xi has decent power and we do not have many moutains to climb around here. The all wheel drive ought to help in the winter. Watch out for the add-on costs.