Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    I was thinking about his comments recently. I think that he's right on the money (no pun intended) with Audi, but not BMW. For some reason, Audi maintenance is, as he says, "breathtakingly expensive".
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    >"German cars are never going to be as cheap to keep up as a Toyota or a Nissan"

A friend and I happened to be car shopping at the same time a couple of years ago. I decided to get the Lexus GS300, and he chose the 530xi. Within a week, his iDrive display died, and his car was down for a week. I was feeling pretty smug.

Since then, my car has been in the shop a total of nine times for "unscheduled" service. I've done all the math - I've had to bring it in, on average, every 70 days. It has spent 7% of its entire life in service. I'm about to start the Lemon Law process.

My friend's 530xi has been humming along quite nicely, thank you very much. He's nice about it - even offered to give me a ride when my GS was down for three weeks with busted power steering for the third time. :)

Even if I wasn't planning on trading my GS in for a 335i, there's no way I'd keep it past the warranty.
  • zoelmanzoelman Posts: 15
    okay, i'm a new bmw owner, just bought a 2004 cpo 545i.

my wife had a 1995 318i. to charge my cell phone in that car you had to buy a bmw adapter to plug into the cigarette lighter socket, you couldn't just plug in the universal charger like you can on american cars.

question: is that still the case? do i have to buy a special bmw adapter in order to charge my cell phone with the cigarette lighter in the 2004 model? or can i just plug it into the lighter like i can on my jeep? just wondering.

thanks.
  • topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    So I took one out of for a spin yesterday and it was a very impressive machine. It drove sportier than I had anticipated with very quick acceleration and fantastic brakes. The interior has been upgraded for 08 and I particularly liked the bamboo wood trim which looked grey to my eye. The car handled very well and felt very solid. The I drive can be a bit frustrating (it took me a few minutes to turn on the radio) but I think after a short while it would be easy to master.
    It will be on my short list.
    Afterward, I jumped into the E Class to compare. The 550E was a bit more on the lux side of ride and didn't handle as well but offered a very plush ride with lots of power. The E350 felt underpowered and lacked a bit in the engine for my tastes of a 50K car. I think the 535 and the E550 are direct competitors and in that case the BMW seems like a better deal providing you want a sporty ride.
    As an aside, I checked the Edmunds review of the 2000 M5 and compared it to the 08 535. Back in 2000 they called the M5 the best car in the world and said you could spend 100-300K and not get as good a car. I think it listed for around 75K at the time. The 0-60 time was 5.3 vs 5.5 for the 535. The brake distance was 116 ft compared to the 535 at 113 ft. It pulled .90 g vs the 535 at .89 and it's gas mileage was 13/21 vs 17/26 for the 535. The M5 beat it on the slalom by 4 mph. And all for about 15-20 K less. Just shows you how much better cars have gotten in a few years.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    Just shows you how much better cars have gotten in a few years.

I'd still take the E39 M5 over an E60 535i. Now an E60 M5... that's a tougher call to make. I think I'd go for door #3 and take a new M6.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• 530ir1150r530ir1150r Posts: 263
    I added columns to my spreadsheet. The costs are:

Scheduled; $2139.42, all fluid changes,filters, tire rotations, etc.

Recurring; $2606.07, mostly tires and alignments

Damage; $621.00, wheel and wheel repair

Unscheduled; 1393.06, everything else.

I'll repost periodically.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    do i have to buy a special bmw adapter in order to charge my cell phone with the cigarette lighter in the 2004 model? or can i just plug it into the lighter like i can on my jeep? just wondering.

Just give it a try; if you don't have to use a hammer to fully insert it you should be OK...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

the guy at BMW i talked with a few days ago said i still need to get an adapter that plugs into the glove box where the flashlight goes - otherwise i could possibly blow fuses and/or cause damage because it's only a 4 amp lighter? so not sure whatz up with this.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,906
    I don't need an adapter for my '05 330.. Just plug it right in... Motorola..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

well, i guess i'll give it a try. i do have the warranty.

on another note, how accurate is the gas guage and when you run out of gas? when it says i have xx miles left before running out of gas - is there any grace miles in there? just wondering how exacting it is, or if it says 2 miles left, then, it's just 2 miles left and that's it.

on my jeep, i could run for maybe a dozen or more miles AFTER it said i had zero miles left.

new owner...
    thanks.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I believe that there are two gallons of fuel left in the tank when the count-down mileage goes to zero. On my 530i I once had occasion to have to drive fifty miles after the count-down hit zero.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Real men run out of gas. ;-)
    Sorry, my bad. ;-)

I actually did run out of gas in my 1995 Passat GLX one time. I had my two year old with me and by the time I strollered him up to the closest station, and then strollered him back to the car with a gas can, I saw that he was covered in ticks. Yikes! I threw his little butt in the car and pulled no less than twenty ticks off of him (I found several on me as well). Ever since then I've really tried not to run out of gas. :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,395
    You could always go in and fill your tank when it says you have 2 miles left and calculate how much gas was in the tank (assuming you know the tank capacity).
  • sdg380sdg380 Posts: 109
    On my '02 E39, I think the "range" starts to flash when it reads less than 9 or 10 miles, and after a couple more miles, I recall filling it in excess of 18 gallons in an 18.5 gallon tank. So maybe "about a dozen" miles remaining is about right (or maybe a half-dozen), but running out of gas is such a PIA, I think it's worth avoiding (real men, notwithstanding!)
    I believe that the Owner's Manual for my 2002 530i stated that the tank was 18.5 gallons plus a 2 gallon reserve. The time that I drove fifty miles past "zero" (a service island on the Ohio Turnpike was closed but the prior signage never indicated that little detail) I did in fact put in just shy of twenty gallons of gas.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,906
    Our E46 325i hiccupped a couple times with 46 miles still showing.. I never took a chance with it, after that.

Our current E46 330 has been down to single digits, with no ill effects.

I've always heard you shouldn't run your tank near empty, as many cars use fuel to cool the fuel pump. No idea if that's how BMWs work, though.

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

"I've always heard you shouldn't run your tank near empty, as many cars use fuel to cool the fuel pump. No idea if that's how BMWs work, though."

I believe that is the case with BMWs as well. Regarding the incident I related above, I didn't really have an option as there was no way I was going to get off the turnpike at oh-dark-thirty in a rural area hoping to find an open gas station. I simply soldiered on to the next service area and got gas.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • sdg380sdg380 Posts: 109
    Well heck, 20+ gallons, I've been worrying needlessly, I'm going to put some of that Click and Clack black tape over that annoying yellow warning light!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    I believe the fact that the fuel pump uses gas to cool. There has to be something going on. I ran out of gas in my '01 Prelude a few years back. The manual says my car has a 15.9 gallon gas tank. After I pushed the car down the block to the nearest gas station, it wouldn't take a drop more than 14.5 gallons.

Before owning my Prelude, I leased a 2000 Saab 9-3 (36 months/36K miles). It had one of those DTE computers like the BMWs have. When I went to turn the car in, I hit a LOT of traffic and started sweating that I was going to run out of gas beofre I got to the dealership. I stopped and put $1 worth of gas in the car (back when gas was $1.50 per gallon). When I pulled into the dealership, the DTE said 0 and the odometer rolled to 36,000 miles. When signing the odometer statement, the salesman said he's never seen a car with exactly 36,000 miles (from a 36K lease). After he asked me about the mileage, he jokingly asked me if there was any gas in the car ;)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation