Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• Thanks....and Barbados indeed........... 21 years of spending vacations on the island....you?
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    Me?

B'dos visitor... Trini native, and NYC dweller.

Don't know if this is your first Bimmeer, however they are all smile machines... Got 130K on my 2003 E39 (as of yesterday... lol) and I still glance back when i walk away from it. Enjoy
  • wow, what a great site, lots of great info besides the owner's manual...thanks much Ray.....I'll be well prepared when my car gets here!!
  • Question for the group -

Any word on when the 5 series gets overhauled? I heard online it is for the 2009 model year, but also heard some for 2010 -

Also looking when the desiels might be coming?
  • I plan to order a 550 Sport tomorrow and there are a few options I can't decide on. Some help would be great.

Active Steering- I hear mixed reviews on it. I love the BMW steering feel and I would be hard pressed to order something "new" without trying it. My dealer doesn't have one to try and I'm not sure when or if they get them. Besides being easier to steer when parking or low speed maneuvers, it's being marketed as a safety feature. One of the reasons I want a bimmer is for the steering feel, so as I said I'd be wary here unless I can get a long test drive.

Vent seats- So from what I've read they aren't cooled (like in my Lexus) but simply have air recircluated through. It's about $1,000 option (ouch!) Is it worth it?

Anthracite headliner-From what I can tell it's a black inside roof vs grey. Any difference other than color? About $450. If it's just color I would pass.

Lane Departure warning. Another safety feature. I'm not sure. Any comments?

Thanks
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,396
    Any word on when the 5 series gets overhauled? I heard online it is for the 2009 model year, but also heard some for 2010 -

2009 isn't very likely as the facelift was just done. I'd say 2010 or 11. Let's hope they return to classic BMW styling ala E92.

Diesels may be out by '09.
  • Not that I have personal experience with a 5-series, but the only one of those that I could see getting would be ventilated seats, but not even that at $1000.

I've tried Servotronic steering on an X3.. That just changes the low-speed ratio, without all the extra stuff that you get with Active Steering... I thought that was worthwhile at $250, but that didn't change the steering at speed.

You can get a lot of worthwhile, expensive options on a 550i.. I wouldn't put any of those on that list.

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• My Infiniti M35x has the ventilated seats and Lane Departure System. Both are almost never used. If anything, the LDS is more of an annoyance. The ventilated seats work OK, but not worth the extra money. Save your money. Pass on those two options.
  • I am in the market for a 535xi with Sports Package, but I hate the Style Spoke 124 rims on the 535, but LOVE the Double Spoke 172M rims on the 550 sports package.

I told the dealer I wanted the 172's in place of the 124's. They said its not possible!

Does anyone know of any dealer that will do this for me?

BMW did a horrible job by keeping the 124 rims. I actually liked the style 123 rims that were on the 530 Sports Package. Yes they were outdated, but much nicer than the 124 rims.

Those darn rims are keeping me from buying the car.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,569
    My Infiniti M35x has the ventilated seats and Lane Departure System. Both are almost never used. If anything, the LDS is more of an annoyance. The ventilated seats work OK, but not worth the extra money. Save your money. Pass on those two options.

I had the options on my M35 Sport. I totally agree!
  • My two cents: I have a 535 with black interior and live in Texas. I did not get the ventilated seats and its no big deal. The AC works fine and I have yet to soak a shirt. I also chose against the lane departure system. When I was looking at the M, it seemed most folks in the forum turned it off as it was annoying. Lastly, I kept the grey headliner and it looks just fine. I'd vote for getting the good stuff like the ipod adaptor, logic 7 stereo etc.
  • sb55sb55 On an Island in VermontPosts: 157
    I had a 2004 545i 6 speed and sport package. It had the Active Steering packaged with the sport package back then. I thought the active steering was great and wish I had that car back!!

2007 Miata, 2010 BMW 535xiT, 2010 GMC Sierra SLE, 2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon

• I am looking at a 2008 535xi. I emailed BMW about thier re-design timetable because I intensely dislike buying a new car and then it is re-designed the very next year!! Here is an excerpt of their response:

"The 5 Series received its last major re-design in 2004 and was freshened for the 2007/2008 model years. We do not anticipate another major overhaul until the 2011 model year"

Hope this helps!
  • Sure Does!!! Thanks for the great news! I too dislike driving a car that has been redesigned.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    I too dislike driving a car that has been redesigned.

For me, it all depends. There are certainly plenty of vehicles out there where an older design is better looking than a newer one. :)

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    Well, I just had to do this.... the E 39 rules. And, ironically, I got my E39 in 2003 (last year of production), knowing that the redesign was coming. Some cars are just timeless.

I felt the same way about the older Jag XJ6...
  • mmoreno1978,

FWIW, my experience ordering a 535Xi is the sport package per se does not include the style 124 wheels. They are an additional option, if you also get the sport package.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    Me too! And I drove the 2004 e60 in Germany prior to the US launch. Still loving my '03 e39 530SP. Has been a flawless ownership experience to date...