Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,898
    Okay.. I'm surprised.. :surprise:

That said, he already has a set of winter tires in the stock 535 size.. I'd just get wheels for them, and be done with it... Unless the 16" tires are appreciably narrower, it isn't going to make much difference, anyway..

I'd double check the 16" thing with a phone call.. The stock size on the 535 is 225/50-17.. That is for the base model, not sport. Not sure I'd want to downgrade from that. Even the 528i comes with 17" standard.

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Nope, all E60 cars can be fitted with 16" wheels (per TireRack), SP or not, I6 or V8, it makes no matter. That said, the situation is very much like that of my old E39, while there were 16" wheels that would fit, they were very few and far between.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Remember the good old days, when 14" wheels were an upgrade?

Yeah, I was so proud the first time I bought a car with 15" wheels. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    >"That said, he already has a set of winter tires in the stock 535 size.. I'd just get wheels for them, and be done with it."

I'm trying to find out how much better the traction would be between 16 and 17.. probably tough to measure. Since I already have the 17s it makes sense to go with those, but since I'll have the car for many years I don't want to have worse traction every year just to save a few bucks on the tires this year.

>"I'd double check the 16" thing with a phone call.."

BMW lists 16 inch tires on the accessory page for the 2008 535i (star spoke 115), but you're right - better safe than sorry.
    "I'm trying to find out how much better the traction would be between 16 and 17.. probably tough to measure."

Assuming the same section width (i.e. 225), probably impossible to measure. I've never seen any compelling evidence that proves that a winter tire of any given width and diameter will perform better if the wheel is smaller.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    My mistake - I was confusing the aspect ratio with the tire width. :blush:

So, given that the 16 and 17 have the same width (therefore the same traction as well), would there be any major reason to go with the 16 other than cost?
    Assuming the 16" tires are sized properly, they'll be the same overall height... With 1" less wheel, the sidewall will be 0.5" taller than the corresponding 17" tire.

If you have bad potholes, or your spouse is maybe not as careful as you would like, then you do have a small amount of increased protection from pothole damage.

But, traction/winter handling improvements would probably be too small to calculate.

If you stick with 17" wheels, you'll have a lot more choices... Personally, I like my car to look just as good in the winter as the rest of the year, which is why I don't like to downsize... (but, that's just me).

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

EDIT: Some people think that extra 1/2" of sidewall lets the tire flex more, and find better tracton in deep snow.. Not sure that makes sense to me, but there you have it.

Good info - thanks. Since I already have 225/50 17 tires, I guess I'll stick with those and pickup some wheels.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    ...at the BMW CCA Oktoberfest in Fort Worth. Great engine; lots of torque and relatively free of compression ignition rattle. I would have liked a stick but the slushbox did pretty well. The rest of the car was okay, but not really my thing. It was a european SP which had several new/unique features. The HUD worked well, but didn't supply enough info. The car also had the lane departure warning system; I guess Munich wants to attract some customers from God's waiting rooms at Cadillac and Lincoln dealerships. The handling was above average, though I still don't care for BMW's Active Steering. The SP run flats were noticeably more harsh in terms of bump/thump when compared to the 21" go flats on my B7 loaner. Go figure...
    On the diesel evaluation sheet I stated:
    "Put this motor in a 3er coupe with the European M Sport package and I will buy one. Put it in a 1er M Sport 5 door hatch and I'll buy two."

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Wow!! Great idea!!! Will do that next time for sure. I actually ended up going with the E350 and added the AMG rims for $2000.00

I still think the 535xi is a better car, but I need something for weekly driving as I am putting to many miles on my M35x. The E 350 4 matic will be my commuter car and the M35x wil be my weekend car. The 535xi performed as well as my M35x, so I decided to go with something less powerful with better gas mileage.

Thank You again for your advice.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    Did they announce the raffle winners? How do you find out who won?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    Did they announce the raffle winners? How do you find out who won?

The names should be on the CCA site shortly, if they aren't there already. My son was at one party when they announced that one winner was from KY. Wasn't me, sad to say. :cry:

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ... I actually ended up going with the E350 and added the AMG rims for $2000.00 ...

You could've saved a bunch of money on those wheels if you had gone to The Tire Rack's website. You can get the exact same wheels for, IIR, much less than $1K.
  • I actually leased it. But Thank You for the helpful information. Greatly appreciated.
  • 2007 530xi with standard radio. If I turn off the car with a CD in the dash, when I restart the car, it has gone to a completely different place on the CD. This is true whether or not I pause the CD before shutting off the car. This issue is compounded by the fact that the fast forward and fast reverse functions are barely faster than regular play. So, on a long track of music, finding where I was before stopping is very tedious. I know, it's a BMW so it's about driving rather than listening to music. But does anyone know a fix or technique to keep this from happening?
    I think this is a known issue, and is fixed with a software update. I'd call your dealer.
  • I'm curious to know if anyone else saw the write up on the 535i in the Nov 07 issue of Sports Car International, as an inset in their article on the '08 CTS. If so, I was wondering what you thought about the critcism of the ride and handling of the 535i, which had the sports package.

I'm not familiar with this magazine, or their reputation, but they apparently liked the ride and handling of the CTS better, but preferred the engine and transmission of the 535i.

FYI, I have a 535Xi and think the balance between ride quality and handling is outstanding.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    I spotted the Dodo bird yesterday!! I've always read the myth about it's existance, but I never thought I'd actually see one! I could NOT believe my eyes! I was 100% flabbergasted! I literally gasped and exclaimed aloud, "Oh my God!" My heart skipped a beat! I almost fell completely over!

What on Earth would cause such a reaction?? Ladies and Gentlement, I spotted... On the dealer lot... A new 550i Sport with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!!! Just sitting there! In the open! Unabashed! For all to see!
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    Actually, this is not so rare... many dealers have one or two of the higher performers in manual - when I ordered my 540 a few years ago, there were two manual 540's on the lot, (one a barely used demo).