Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Other than an M5, I've never seen a manual equipped 5-series that I can recall. Let alone seeing a brand new 550i. I'm still in shock.
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    Here is a bit of trivia for you - BMW magazine went through the production figures a few years ago, and found that the manual 540 (E39) was actually produced in fewer numbers than the M5 - Go figure.
  • I passed 100k miles Sunday driving back from Hilton Head. I have a 2002 530i SP, 5 speed, Euro Delivered.

After 100446 miles, I have averaged 52.5 MPH and 26.7 MPG. My costs that would have been covered by an extended maintenance/warranty package was $1402.45; but the right hand mirror quit lowering when shifted into reverse this afternoon.

My costs by year are: 2002, $117.59; 2003, $43.38; 2004, $1819.35; 2005, $1741.21; 2006, $1609.38; and 2007 to date, $1940.08.

My costs by category are: Scheduled, $2240.56; Recurring, $3019.07; Damage, $621.00; and Unscheduled, $1393.06.

Additionally, my gas mileage to Hilton Head was 30.37 MPG at 80-85 MPH and return gas mileage was 30.04 (more uphill) at 80-85 MPH.

I still love the way the car rides, drives and handles; I intend to keep it another 5 years and 100k miles.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,379
    but the right hand mirror quit lowering when shifted into reverse this afternoon.

Make sure that the selector switch which controls which mirror you're adjusting is set for the driver's side, then it should lower when you hit Reverse.

My experience with a 2000 MY 528iA has been similar to yours except for a warranty repair to the Air Bag Control Module
    ($appx. $700 IIRC) and a non-warranty fix of the VANOS control thing-ama-jig ($1200). Other than that not much has gone wrong at 102,525 miles and counting. :shades:
    Interesting to hear that there are actually people out there who get to 100K! Soooo many folks talk about cost to own, then tell me that they did 50K in 5 years...

I'm at 133K in my 2003 540I. It was the last of the E39 series. I've spent a bit more, since I've done a few things like replaced the cooling system (radiator, water pump, thermostat etc) brakes a few times, and more tires than you can shake a stick at.

Unfortunately the machine has left me stranded a couple of times - Blew an upper radiator hose in my driveway, at the end of a rather spirited 70 mile run... (ok, at least it was considerate enough to wait until I got home). Alternator quit, resulting in a tow, and those water cooled alternators are NOT cheap!

I still find it the best car, even though not as reliable as my Camry.... I still glance back when I walk away from it.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. My wife drove some yesterday and adjusts the mirrors and seats separately instead of using the memory button.
  • sdg380sdg380 Posts: 109
    About the mirror problem, I have the exact same model, and while it could be that the switch is incorrectly positioned, this was one of the very few problems I've had with the car (was fixed under warranty, but I'm not sure exactly what was replaced.)

Unfortunately, more recently, the climate control has acted erraticly, hoping that it is an electrical gremlin that will settle down. Ever had any problems with yours? Curiously (or maybe not), my E34 (which was still running great at 102k miles when I sold it) also had some climate control electrical problems.
    I know you did not ask me, however... I'm having some issues with climate control too. Some possible solutions were suggested by Roadburner, over on the 5 series maintenance and problems board. Once I have time to chase it down I'll post what the cause was.
  • sdg380sdg380 Posts: 109
    NY, thanks for the 411, would much appreciate any info, sdg
  • The mirror was the switch.

The AC fan sometimes speeds up or stops when you think it shouldn't, but it always soon corrects and I do not want it screwed up by someone trying to fix it. The radio has also increased in volume twice in 5 years, same decision.
  • I just picked up my 2008 535xi.....it is an awesome car!!...I can't find any central location for the many voice command options, not in the owner's manual or the internet. Can anybody help?
  • The i-drive on my 535i decided to quit working last evening. The car is only 2+months old. Needless to say I'm a tad frustruated. I'm bringing it to the dealer Thursday and am hoping for a quick fix...
    Anyone have a similar problem on a new 5?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Did you try saying "Help?" That gets an audible listing of available commands on some cars with voice command.
  • wolfer2wolfer2 Posts: 10
    I had a similar problem on my two month old 535xi. One out of every 10 times or so the I-drive would not come on when I started the car. Then it would suddenly come on after about 15 minutes (apparently it was rebooting or something). I took it in. They said there is a Service Bulletin out on the issue and reloaded all the software. So far, it seems to be working.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,379
    The mirror was the switch.

Good, it's kind of a strange way to engineer the thing but that's how they do it. It's funny how useful that little curtesy is when you're parking.
  • Thanks, that gives me hope for an easy fix.
    Issue with the HVAC was solved... as Roadburner suggested, it was a part called the final stage unit.
  • "Help" provides some commands, as does the owner's manual, but not all...thanks.....
  • After less than 20 months and 14k miles on the third manual transmission, this one is popping out of second gear just like the original (lasted 22k) and the second one (remanufactured- lasted 14k) all replaced under factory warranty. I have an appointment to have this looked at and appreciate that the dealership sounds interested in having this fixed under warranty. I am wondering though if this is what I have to look forward to every couple of years ?

I have posted this situation every time this failure has occurred but no one else seems to have experienced this problem. We really like this car and have not had any other problems in 5 plus years of ownership and the plan is to keep it many many more years and miles.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Can't say that I've ever heard of this problem. My 2002 530i 5-Speed was completely solid for the three years that I had it, ditto the 1999 328i (with the identical 5-Speed that's in your 530i) that I had before it.

Best Regards,
    Shipo