Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• My experience is that you should simply tell them that you are confident that you can get the car for 1K over invoice and that if they give you that deal on a car ordered to your specs, they can have the deal right now. If they balk or tell you that you won't get that deal anywhere, I would tell them that if that's the case you will be back but for now your going to walk and take that offer elsewhere. And then walk. Because I am sure you can get that deal or very close to it if you call around and are willing to travel just a bit (50-75 miles).

Just my suggestion.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Well, I bought the friggin' thing! :) So far, so good. I already did a few setup items, and found some nitpicks. Biggest one so far is that the garage door opener doesn't work unless the car is on. :( About gave myself carbon monoxide poisoning trying to get it setup. :P I-drive is a pain! (so far) The trunk lid will take your head clean, smooth off if you're not mindful! :sick: And the trunk handles are in the dumbest place ever. I still have to touch the paint to close the trunk all the way.

But to recap the car:
    2008 550i
    Carbon Black Metallic (blue)
    6-speed manual
    Sport
    Nav
    Logic7
    Shades
    iPod/USB
    Heated seats

BTW, I was only able to get them to come down $3K off MSRP.
  • Congrats! So the lease price that you mentioned of 880 tax included was calculated on 3K off?

I have a similar car due in this week (sport auto instead of stick). After you take a few laps, would love to hear your review.
    Are you going to get winter tires and wheels?
  • rbleland,

I'm surprised you haven't gotten any responses to this so far. Asking about AWD vs RWD always seems to stir up interest, and sometimes controversy. If you search, you should find some (but not all) postings on this topic that are very objective and helpful.

I feel it boils down to a combination of factors, such as weather conditions, traffic, terrain, dependency on the car in winter weather, etc. plus your own personal priorities.

With snows on both cars, I think they will both handle winter driving but, and this is just my own personal opinion, the AWD will go better and be more stable in adverse weather conditions. Not sure the AWD affects stopping or turning.

I think the big question is given you have some degree of preference for the 550 over the 535Xi, is that a higher priority to you than better winter weather performance?

In my own case, I chose AWD as I have a high priority for year round versatility in a variety of conditions and driving environments. I came to BMW by way of moving from FWD to AWD. I currently own a 535Xi, and I am very pleased with the dry road handling. Last winter, I still owned an '06 330Xi, and it was definitely better in winter driving than any RWD or FWD car I have previously owned.

YMMV,
    Bruce
    I don't remember mentioning an $880 lease price. That must've been quite a while ago (I've been working on this for 1.5+ years!) I won't be getting any snow tires. I'm in the South, so that's not really an issue. I can't believe how low the profile of the tires is, though! Like rubberbands.

I took a friend for a ride last night and she said the ride was stiff. I don't find it stiff at all; not yet, anyway. Just goes to show that different people have different tolerances. Reviewers always talk about how wonderful BMW shifters are and how short the throws are. I find them to be flimsy and the throws too long. And the clutch could be a firmer. Not the best shifter I've experienced, but not the worst either.
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    Thanks, Bruce, I have searched a ton on this site and others regarding the trade-offs between the AWD 535xi and the RWD 550i and I know the main trade-off is the V8 grunt and sharp handling of the MSport package vs the winter superior handling of the xi. Our winters here are not as severe as many Canadian centres, come later (late Nov to mid Dec) and are usually gone by early/mid March. BUT, we can get big dumps of snow, and icey conditions at any time in those months. I do have hills to drive from home to work, and I will have to take the car every day year round (our AWD Highlander will be driven by wife daily).

My really large concern is whether or not the 535xi (as it doesn't have any of the Sport packs) will give me the sharp handling that I remember from all my other/older BMWs.

I think I know the answers, I just really need to make up my mind which way I want to go. Every time I see and drive a 550i, it thrills me. Will it thrill me when there is 3 inches of new snow on the hills??

Probably no one can answer this but me; but I keep wondering?1?
    ... Will it thrill me when there is 3 inches of new snow on the hills?? ...

Are you kidding?? :surprise: There's no greater thrill than hanging a V8 powered, RWD car sideways on ice/snow! :P Really gets the blood pumping! ;)
  • My mistake. It was another poster who mentioned the lease price and he lived in the NE. Give us the full review after you put on a few miles. Mine is due in next week. Enjoy!
    So I'm fumbling around in the trunk and I keep moving around this soft polyester bag with the license plate holder in it. Had picked it up, tossed around, moved it aside several times. Then the thought hits me, "Why in the world do they have a license plate holder in a bag??" :confuse: So I pull it out and voila'! It's paint-matched to the car! I always said BMWs aren't worth the money charged. As I look around and get more acquainted with the car, I notice all the little considerate things provided for your hard earned dollars. :) Granted, it's still insane money to pay for those "little things," but it's nice to know they're there. ;) I might actually become a BMW convert.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    Seems like the BMW strategists read these message boards for styling input :) See comment about "frown" in a post I made a couple years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/05/automobiles/autoshow/NUGGET_BMW_5.html?_r=1&or- - - ef=slogin
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,569
    I might actually become a BMW convert.

Whether you like it or not, you already are.
  • Very cool. Shouldn't the dealer have installed it for you?
    We don't use front plates here, thank goodness.
    Whether you like it or not, you already are.

:surprise:
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    might actually become a BMW convert.

Sooooo... $50-60K later, on a car you "researched" for over a year, you think you "might" actually be a convert???

LOLOLOL

And I "might" actually need oxygen.
    It's sort of like Applied Sciences. I can't reliably criticize a product if I don't have first hand experience, can I? I'm trying to lead by example here. ;) There's too many people that criticize based solely on some magazine writer's opinion. I'm simply formulating my own personal experience. :P
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    Yeah, yeah, yeah....

No more Lexus for you.

lol
  • I currently have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and have been test driving luxury sedans (E350, 528i and will test drive the 08 M soon). My goal is to have a comfortable luxury feel without getting too big in car size. The 528i seems to have it all but I am confused with the sport package and run flat tires. I want a comfortable ride that has good pickup especially when I am on the onramp of the freeway (my Jeep has no get up) but I do not need a power horse either. The car will be my day to day car for work, errands, tennis, etc. and used for longer trips to Vegas, mountains, wine country, etc. so I want the tire ride to be smooth. We are in the O.C., S. Cal. I've waited a very long time to upgrade.
    Any feedback?
    P.S. My husband always has the smaller car and is also looking for a new car. He will most likely end up with a car with run flat tires.
  • jamesgjamesg Posts: 19
    i am wondering if there are any rumors out there on the power train for the 2009 550i?
    it seems to me that the current 4.8l v8 is too close in perofrmance to the 3l turbo 535i, and there is enough of a power gap to the m5 to allow a bump into the 400 hp range.
    a few options could include the new m3 v8 power plant, a turbo v8 or a detuned v10?
    the v8 is usually a trickle down from the 7 series, but i don't see much new up there. turbo v8 would improve fuel performance - a side bonus.
    any such upgrades would be enough for me to pull the trigger on an 09. otherwise, i'll probably stick with my e39 540i6.
    any other thoughts or rumors?
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,403
    I dunno if it'll happen in '09, '10 or '11 but sooner or later we'll get the excellent 3 liter BMW Diesel and be able to get 40 mpg driving a 5er. :)