Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,148
    how worn is the used one on ebay?

if you could replace it and be confident the car will be good to you for at least another year, then its probably worth $1500 considering you aren't going to find a car as nice for that much, right?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• I am going to be ordering a 2008 535i shortly and I want to confirm whether or not the transmission is the same if I get the standard "free" Steptronic or the optional Sport Auto? Is the part number for the transmission itself GA6HP26ZTU regardless??

Thanks
  • anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    Why do so many people COMPLAIN about the lack of a dipstick in new BMW engines? It's a regular complaint in the forums.

You don't need a dipstick. You check oil levels using iDrive or the onboard computer. Instead of warming up the engine, parking, shutting off the engine, getting out and fumbling around a dirty engine compartment, you push a couple buttons while driving and it shows you the oil level, even at highway speeds. A dipstick is less accurate and people are more likely to check their oil levels if the process is more convenient.

One person in a post last year actually said that s/he paid a mechanic to drain the oil, measure it and then put it back in because the mechanic told him/her it was the only way to check the oil level.

Honestly, I don't know why people pay a premium for a vehicle that's loaded with technology and then not even bother to crack open the owner's manual. Look in the index under "oil".
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "Why do so many people COMPLAIN about the lack of a dipstick in new BMW engines?"

Two reasons:
    1) Many of the oil level sensors have proven to be problematic when condensation gets into them, and
    2) Many of us (me included) prefer to perform oil changes by using an oil extractor, and that requires a dip-stick.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    Honestly, I don't know why people pay a premium for a vehicle that's loaded with technology and then not even bother to crack open the owner's manual.

This statement is actually pretty funny - I was in Florida with a friend... new 5 Series while I am driving his sister's older 3 series. Suddenly his flashers go on, and his speed drops. My cell rings and he asks me to do a look see around the car as we rolled - I-drive indicated low tire pressure. I see nothing. We pull over (first leg of a 300 mile trip), use a guage, and the tire is fine. Complete the trip, get the car in to the dealer, and get told "yeah, some of them do that". Point I am making is that simply touting that the oil pressure monitor makes a dipstick completely unneeded is not reasonable at this point. As a compromise, why not leave the dipstick, add the electronics to make it "easier" (though I believe that anyone who was not bothering to check the oil by opening the hood is not going to bother to check it otherwise) and satisfy those of us who actually do things like change oil, or check levels?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,287
    As a compromise, why not leave the dipstick, add the electronics to make it "easier" (though I believe that anyone who was not bothering to check the oil by opening the hood is not going to bother to check it otherwise) and satisfy those of us who actually do things like change oil, or check levels?

That makes too much sense. BMW appears to be committed to making their cars impossible to service outside of the dealer network. The people who wear their Bimmers are leasing them and don't want to risk breaking a nail by opening the hood, which suits BMW just fine. Did you know that BMW has now eliminated the drain plug on the final drive? I found that out while I was getting the ATF and TC fluid changed on my wife's 2004 X3... :mad:

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ... Instead of warming up the engine, parking, shutting off the engine, getting out and fumbling around a dirty engine compartment, ...

You've never changed/checked oil a day in your life, have you? :sick: Most of us check the oil level when the engine is cool/cold (as in, before even starting it for the day or next day.) And there's no "fumbling around," the dipstick is just right there; one of the first things you (normally would) see when you open the hood. It is faster to manually check the oil than fumbling around in iDrive. If you've even used iDrive to check the levels, you'd notice that it takes a little bit for the computer to take the measurements.
  • On my '08 550i only after 2,600 miles the oil sensor indicated I had too much oil. I took it to the dealer and had it checked out. After they changed the oil it again indicated too much oil. So now I am being told it is a software problem. So are you saying you feel comfortable paying over 71K for a vehicle and only have "idiot lights" to warn you if there is a problem? If there is a software issue then how can you trust any of the other information? And what if there was a problem, like the water pump failed and the defective software didn't alert you. NO, these cars should come with proper instrumentation that indicate oil pressure and water temp.! You can damn sure bet I am going to research and find what aftermarket company makes these type instruments for BMW.
  • jeqqjeqq Posts: 216
    Actually, I was taken aback by the tone of Anon's criticism about my "lack of dip stick" opinion. So thanks for all the replies in my defense.

BTW, Audi lacks a dipstick to check the auto transmission fluid level. Something I never agreed with. Any flames on that :)
  • Just my own opinion, but we have one car with a dipstick, '06 X3, and one with the iDrive readout, '08 535Xi. I prefer the iDrive readout.

This assumes the iDrive method works correctly, and I don't change my own oil.

As an aside, I was very skeptical of iDrive from all that I had read in the motoring press, but the more I use it the more I like it.

Bruce
    As posted above, why not have both?

BTW, I can usually tell if my oil is 1/2 a qt. short, based on engine noise and my temp gauge but I don't expect others to be that tuned in to their cars.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,593
    BTW, I can usually tell if my oil is 1/2 a qt. short, based on engine noise and my temp gauge but I don't expect others to be that tuned in to their cars

I seriously doubt that there would be any detectable change in engine note or temp unless you were seriously low (i.e. a couple of quarts or more).

FYI most modern cars have temp gauges that point straight up once you reach operating temp and do not go past the mid-point unless they're seriously out of range because BMW and other car makers have decided too many customers complain if their cars run slightly hot or cold as they do in very extreme ambient temps.

IMO eliminating the temp gauge as BMW has done in the new E90/92 is worse than having no dipstick since a failed fan or radiator leak is more likely than being low on oil between changes.

It goes without saying that I'd rather have both. I go back to the days when a sports car or sedan would tell you the oil temp and pressure as well as the generator/ alternator output. The more i9nfo the better!

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• I am debating between a 528xi and 535xi, and looking for anyone that might have faced a similar dilemma. I am coming out of a 4 cyl Honda accord with 185k, so either car will be a dramatic improvement. 528xi probably has all of the power I "need" but I want to be sure that I have no regrets. I have driven both and both are great cars. I am leaning toward the 528, but am wondering if I will be craving the extra hp in a few months.

I typically drive my cars a long time, so this is a 5-7 year decision.
    As I stated above, I definitely can see and hear the difference. It's okay if you don't, I find no fault in you. Try in your heart to believe me.

BTW, I drive an A6 which has a temp gauge and oil dipstick but minus an automatic transmission dipstick.

BTW, BTW: Some of you BMW guys are really hostile. On the Audi sites I usually don't see that many negative/attack posts. Would you believe I almost leased a 535 xi. Good thing I didn't lease that 535 xi ..... jeez :D ;)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,148
    If you drove a 4-cyl Accord for 185k miles, I don't see you craving anything with a 528. :)

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    >On the Audi sites I usually don't see that many negative/attack posts

I've spent time at AudiWorld. Compared to them, we're Gandhi. :P
  • You base your car buying on website dialog? Are you kidding? :confuse:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,667
    .. that we couldn't be nicer, though.. :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• mqc99mqc99 Posts: 6
    We fit almost the identical profile... My last car was also a 12-year old 4 cyl Accord (I still have it), I also tend to drive my cal for a long time. But, I just recently bought a 535i. I must say that I am very happy with my decision. I tested both the 528i and the 535i and ended up getting the 535i. I wanted to have the extra pick-up in the 535i. I am not a fast driver. But, I want to have that extra power available to me when I need it. The few thousand dollars difference in price will not matter that much - especially when you are going to keep the car for a few years. But, you will enjoy driving it more. I'd say go for the 535xi. ;)
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    bug4. In all honesty, it'd be difficult to say that I'd prefer my 550i Sport to my '05 Mustang GT overall. There's just "something" about driving a Mustang; especially the current gen one. My GT was more visceral than my 550i, as it should be considering the type of car it is. I guess if I thought hard about it, I'd choose my 550i overall, but not for drive dynamics or status, but because it is more convenient; four doors and such.

The 550i Sport is a great performance sedan. That in and of itself puts it at a natural disadvantage to the Mustang GT sports coupe. The Mustang's smaller and more nimble. Barreling down and around a twisty mountain road, I'd feel more confident in my GT than my 550i Sport. HOWEVER, I must admit that I had some minor suspension modifications to my GT. I swapped in some 18" wheels, Eibach Pro-kit springs, and BMR tubular subframe connectors. Just with those, the handling limits skyrocketed. (Embarrassed more than a few 3-series Sport drivers. ;) ) Now stock-for-stock, I'd probably feel better in the 550i Sport because it has the stability control to help me out if things went squirrely. (I've caused it to kick in a couple of times already. :surprise: ) But a stock GT would still probably get around the bends faster, given equal drivers.

I love my 550i Sport, to be sure! I truly miss my '05 GT. The sounds. The feel. The giddyup. The limited slip differential! :P The fact that my 550i Sport has some V8 rumble, muffled though it is, and a manual transmission eases the sting a little bit, but I still have a little twinge everytime I see/hear a new Mustang GT go by.