Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• Same here w CR. I bought a 4runner which was on its most-reliable-ever list and nearly wound up lemoning it.

The twin turbo BMW engines, which are in the 535 but not the 528, have had problems with high pressure fuel pumps failing.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    I agree re: CR; their surveys aren't even close to being a representative sample. The only problem with the E60 535i is, as mentioned above, the HPFP, and BMW now covers it for 100K miles- CPO or not.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• bbrimmerbbrimmer Posts: 32
    Thanks for the response. No, there was no explanation. The interesting thing is that they did recco the 535 in their 2009 April Cars Edition, but did not in the 2010 edition.
    BMW has shifted to a single turbo 300 hp this year. But I am glad to hear you have had no issues with yours.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Well, after a five year hiatus from driving BMWs (due to starting another business), my economic fortunes seem to be changing for the better and may once again allow me to get back to driving something I really want to drive.

With the above in mind, I paid a long over due visit to the BMW USA web site and was shocked to find that one cannot configure a 528i with a manual transmission. What's up with that? :confuse:

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    edited August 2010
    It appears that the 535i is - but the 528i is not...
    Odd

[ edit ]
    Even more odd - this combo appears to have
    been available in 2010...

http://www.unitedbmw.com/detail-2010-bmw-5_series-4dr_sdn_528i_rwd-used-5955366.- html
    Yeah I saw that, but given that I have a 16 year-old at home, there's no way I want to (occasionally) turn him loose with a 535i 6-Speed. :P That and my feeling is that the 2011 528i (with the unobtainium grade 6-Speed) will have about the same performance as my (former) 2002 530i 5-Speed; which was more than enough for my needs (but not necessarily my wants and desires). I wonder if I order a 528i 6-Speed via the European Delivery program like I did with my 530i.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,107
    I'm glad you're on your way to turning around your fortunes. Your kid is 16 already! Wow! Good luck & keep us posted!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    shipo, you need to find a dealer with a close working relationship to BMW AG. Sometimes they can accomplish much more than the average dealer.
    Anyway, I'm glad to see you are returning to the BMW fold :D

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Thanks for the tip. ;)

Regarding the return to the BMW fold, I'm not there just yet, but things are definitely starting to look brighter :shades: .
  • Can I hear from some 535 owners who don't have the Dynamic Handling package and your thoughts on the car.

I have a 2011 535 x drive without sport and dynamic handling package on order (with Premium 2, ventilated seats and a few other nice options). It seemed fine during the test drive without the dynamic handling but based on some of the posts, many are saying it's something to get. My basis for comparison was my 2008 535xi. I didn't get dynamic handling because it required the sport package and I'd prefer to stay with the 18 inch all season tires. I do expect to drive in slippery conditions and snow (thus the x drive). :)

Are folks who don't have dynamic handling happy with the drive?

Thanks
  • I've been suffering with poor AM radio reception for years in my 2004 BMW 530i especially when near power lines, but wonder is there anything out there, after-market or otherwise that I can install to help boost the AM reception?
    I don't believe I've ever heard of an AM radio that didn't buzz and pop when near power lines.
  • Hi All...
    Any input on AWD vs RWD? Specifically, a 2008 CPO 528. I live in the northeast and have driven FWD for years and am considering the xi.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,107
    go with the RWD 528i and get yourself a set of 4 dedicated winter tires mounted on 4 different wheels. This way you get better gas mileage & performance the other 359 days a year it doesn't snow here in the Northeast.

The RWD car with snow tires will be lighter and therefore stop shorter and manuver quicker around objects.

The perceived notion is that AWD will help you get going and you'll never get stuck. While AWD does help you start, it doesn't help you stop. What's the only part of your car that has contact with the road? The tires.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,393
    I concur with nyccarguy. I drove my '00528iA as my sales sled in NH and had no problems getting to/from work or around on sales calls.. I found out the hard way that even an AWD w the wrong tires will get stuck on a slippery hill so I figured if I'm gonna need snows anyway I might as well enjoy RWD the remaining 3/4 of the year.
  • Thanks, guys. AWD sounds appealing and I was tempted. The idea that you can "do more" in inclement weather and somehow be safer is an urban legend, I guess. My brother agrees with you, and also mentioned the expense that goes with it should there be a problem. But, how much of an investment do I need for 4 winter tires and wheels? You can tell I haven't researched that yet!
  • A set of aftermarket wheels with winter tires and TPMS sensors from Tire Rack would probably run you around $1400-$1500... Keep in mind, that when you are on your winter tires, you aren't wearing out your other set, so it isn't entirely an added cost...

It's funny.. I'm helping an acquaintance try to sell her winter set-up (off an '08 528i).. Two seasons on the tires... .she is asking $695 (tires/wheels/sensors). I've seen similar set-ups for sale in forum classifieds for $450-$900.... so, there are options besides new..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• james27james27 Posts: 433
    Snow tires, regardless of the wheels that are driven will help you stop faster, and get going in inclement weather. BUT, AWD will also get you around a corner faster and with less drama (actually it will get you started quicker, too). There are some interesting videos and discussions on www.tirerack.com that both show it and chart it. At 25mph, the rear-wheel drive vehicle (with the same tires) ran off the corner while the AWD one just drove around it. The differences in time to speed were enlightening, too, even with the traction control and the same tires on the same cars. For most of my driving time, I've lived where it snows, and prefer good snowtires to an all-season in the winter, and they're required if your other set are summer only tires (which really are crap when it gets cold and/or slippery in the winter). If you happen to want to drive into most parts of Canada, snowtires are now required, from what I read, during winter. All-seasons don't cut it anymore.
  • I have a 2006 550i which is still under the CPO warranty. last week the navigation screen stopped working (no navigation, radio etc.) oddly enough my cell phone still showed the blue tooth was engaged. I took to the dealer and he advised me the diagnostic tool was not communicating with the i drive. They did a " soft" reset which they said did not work. I was then advised that they would need to due a software upgrade for $500 (they said not covered by CPO) to see if that fixes the problem. They said if this did not work, they would have to install a new CMC $2100+500 already spent, to possible fix the problem. Mdoes anybody know what the problem is (they dont) yet they claim it not covered under the CPO!! Am i getting the run around? BTW i love the car.
  • The ABS light will come on and the transmission will not shift properly. What could be the problem? Thanks.