Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• bmms8bmms8 Posts: 86
    he has a lot of money, and i think that he actually saves a lot considering that he has a 3 bath, 2 bdroom house, i have seen the same episode. so i think, he has more money into his 3 cars then his house, but not a lot of people would do that, look at cas oney, vvery nice house, and vvery nice cars, u cant g wrong with that.
  • vcso2279vcso2279 Posts: 5
    My 94 LS driver side seat belt does not retract. Per arroadrunner's article on 02-10-02, She advise that Lexus warrants the seat belts for life. Can anyone confirm this ? Thanks in advance for any info.
  • toddg12toddg12 Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2002 LS430, gold, with Mark Levinson stereo, Nav system and Lexus Link. After just one week, I'm absolutely in love with the car. While shopping for it, I drove the Lincoln LS and the Acura RL. These cars arguably are not in the same class, but I couldn't bring myself to shell out the $$ for a BMW 745il or a Mercedes S430. The LS 430 is such a wonderful package of quality and value that I'm now a convert.

I called around the Los Angeles area to shop the numbers my local dealer (Lexus of Valencia) quoted. I could only find Base models (no ML/Nav, just moonroof and heated seats) or Ultra Luxury (MSRP=70K+, ouch). I even had one internet manager look around for a day, then call and tell me to take the deal at Valenca. I paid $56K (Invoice = 54.7K, MSRP = 63.2K).

My only "complaint" so far is that my local dealer said they have had so many problems with the integrated Lexus cell phone, that they are no longer installing it.

Does any one have any experience (positive or negative) with the cell phone? cost and performance experience would be great.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,662
    Got my auto issue of CR in the mail yesterday and the results of owner surveys shows clearly Lexus gaining momemtum and MB falling while BMW seems to be doing just fine. The only Benz cars that scored well were the E and C which had average reliability (that is the highest ranking MB buyers gave any of their cars) and above average satisfaction. The vaunted S and SLK models were below average in reliability and above average in satisfaction. The S seems to be depreciating faster than ever these days. The CLK and M class were much below average in reliability and above average and average respectively in satisfaction. Lexus models scored very high across the board. The LS430 and ES300 were both much above average in both reliability and satisfaction (the drivers apparently have a very different view than the auto mags). The GS series was barely below that scoring only above average in satisfaction but maintained the much above average score in reliability (also very low depreciation which surprised me on the GS) and the IS3000 was rated average in reliability (worst Lexus score) and much above average in satisfaction. The LX470 wasn't evaluated (or was mixed in with the Landcruiser) but as I lease one I can say my experience is right there with the LS430. The Landcruiser had Lexus type marks with much above average reliability and above average satisfaction.

BMW's pretty much had much above average satisfaction ratings with average to above average reliability (except the X5 whose reliability was much worse than average). The 7 wasn't scored because it's too new. Interestingly Audi's reliability was rated poor and seemed to be worse than I would have thought but then I thought of how often my boss's A-8 is in the shop. Infiniti models also scored well, all much above average in reliability and average to above average satisfaction levels(though the Q wasn't rated probably because of lack of sample, it certainly has been around long enough). But it's also clear that for whatever reason CR is no Infiniti fan based on its own brief write-ups.
    Sorry - I left out the RX300 in that last post. Same scores as LS430 - much above average reliability and driver satisfaction. The SC430 probably lacked sufficient sample as data was unavailable. So the weakest Lexus links were the IS300 with average reliability and the GS300/430 with above average driver satisfaction. Every other mark for the brand was much above average. By the way the LS series rated a low depreciation figure as well. Pretty difficult job for anyone to slow the Lexus juggernaut down. How will consumers who rate cars that highly ever switch brands.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    That was actually the Cash Money Millionares that had the stretched LX470. Ludacris has a X5, DTS, Acura Legend and a Escalade.

ljflx,

Just how many Lexi do you have?

M
    I'll explain at another time. Right now the BMW7 board is in need of your expertise.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Posts: 134
    I thought it was pretty lame! They didn't bring any of the competitors on! They just drove it around a speedway at 90MPH.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    What LS430 competitors?.

The way I see it there aren't any.

To even come close to matching the MB S500 in price you have to use the UL version. The MB and the LS430 UL, get real!

In there a price and/or performance competitor to the base LS430, no?

What would YOU chose to test drive against the LS430?
    I'm waiting to buy an LS430, I have no doubt that it will be well worth the wait when I finally get it.

Lexus, are you listening?

Black Cherry/Ivory/maple accents and air suspension, no Nav.

Hell, I'd even accept an LS330.
  • bmms8bmms8 Posts: 86
    i was wondering what wasthe "cool knob" in the custom luxur option. i was also wondering if u had to buy the nappa leather to get the custom luxury, is that true, or no??
    ALL of the CL's have front seat cooling and I think that REQUIRES the perforated Nappa leather.
  • mpyles1mpyles1 Posts: 90
    I've just ordered an LS 430 with sport suspension. I found the handling pretty good for a car of this size but feel one of the reasons it doesn't quite hold up to the German competition (i. e., BMW and Audi) is the relatively tall and narrow tires (225/55/17).

I'm considering increasing wheel size to 18" with 245/45/18 tires (almost identical rolling diameter, so gearing and speedo stays to spec). Has anyone had any experience with this kind of changeover on the LS 430? Thanks.
  • feverhartfeverhart Posts: 144
    You may want to consider how it would impact the turning radius. The LS has a shorter turning radius than compable cars in this class. You wouldn't want any scrubbing.
    You should have bought the GS, the LS will never be sporty, and you're probably headed for TOO FIRM.
  • pai7pai7 Posts: 35
    This week marks 10 years of my ownership of 92 Lexus SC400.It has slightly more than 102k miles but still drives like new.Apart from routine scheduled maintainence ,2sets of tires ,2 batteries and a window motor nothing else has been replaced.The paint,finish leather have held up well.Based on this ownership experience I bought an 01 Lexus 430 with Nav and ML after seriously considering Mercedes S 500.I am glad about my choice.During last 4 to 5 years Mercedes has had Quality issues and this has been validated in the recent Consumer Reports.My wife and daughter Drive MB ML ( 99 ML430 and 98 ML 320).They had to take their vehicles for more number of times in one year for repair than I had to take my 92 SC400 in 10 years.They are looking at Lexus for their next vehicle.
    You have a 92 SC400 and yet you still "seriously" considered an S500. I'm very dissapointed, I wouldn't have thought that would happen, EVER.

But..Girly vehicles...

The early ML's did have relaibility problems, no question, but to sorta compare apples to oranges, so did the early Ford Escapes. All indications are that ML has addressed its problems with the ML and it's pretty clear that Ford is also on that road.

We had a really heavy snowstorm here on the eastside of Seattle, pretty much localized to Bellevue though.

MY 01 AWD RX300 PERFORMED ADMIRABLY.

Because of my expressed concerns about the AWD setup I wasn't as brave with it as I might have been with either of my previous Jeeps, but it was clear that the ABS was up to the task at hand and seemingly the AWD was kicking in at some level when appropreate.

Two things did surprise me, I got it into a large vacant parking lot and was able to create s significant level of yaw yet the VSC, seemingly, never kicked in. This really surprised me because I'm quite sure that previously I have had it go to work as I turned left and "plowed" through a water puddle. Maybe the yaw I cranked in last night was so quick and extreme it "bailed"?

Same was true of the TRAC. I was able to get the wheels "spinning" in the deep snow but as far as I could tell the TRAC applied no braking, not even moderately so, and it certainly didn't dethrottle the engine.

Of course it could have been that all four wheels "spun" at the same rate, but that would mean the AWD is more up to snuff than I have ever though, so I won't go there.

But for a multiplicity of reasons I would still suggest that the ML and X5 represent better SUV implementations overall. As far as AWD setups are concerned I'm beginning to suspect the Ford Escape engineers have that one figured out best.
  • pai7pai7 Posts: 35
    wwest--- The S 500 came out in Aug 99 and since that time every car magazine available was raving about it.One of my friend purchased it but I wanted to see what the redesigned Lexus LS had to offer in 2001.My experience previously with Mercedes has been good.My 1986 300 E was an excellent vehicle which I drove for 12 years and 125K miles.Intrestingly the 86 300 E outperformed 1986 560 SEL (the flagship) in both 0 to 60 and also the top speed.A year or so later they detuned 300 E to correct this anamoly.IMO 300 E was one of the best vehicle on road at that time.The deterioration of the quality has been a recent phenomenon and I hear the fix is on the way.I agree with you that a Lexus owner will probably look at Lexus again but as a car enthusiast one should critically look at the competition.The new Lexus LS430 is also way ahead in design,performance and comfort over the past LS400.
    IMMHO the MB "E" series is just a cut above the Lexus GS series, and just a cut below the LS series. If the E430 were just a tad more roomier then I might consider it a competitor to the base LS430.

Somehow, I cannot think of the LS and the MB "S" series as being competitors, the MB is undoubtedly roomier, but along with that comes a disproportionaty much higher purchase price.

Also, in the GS and MB E class I see absolutely no need for anything larger than the V6, except if you happen to be of the "boy racer" mindset.

Given the size and weight of these vehicles you simply don't need anything larger to "haul" them, at least in "normal" driving fashion.

My sincerest appologies to mooretorque.
    I'm with pai7 on this one. Why limit your choices. I also looked at the S, coming out of two flawless LS400 leases. I'll do it again at the end of this lease. Most probably I'll stay Lexus because the experience all around is very satisfying and it's wonderful to almost know nothing will go wrong with the car. The E is far removed from the LS430. Not even close to the car in any way but price. Size-wise it's got the dimensions of the old Camry. The LS430 may only be 7 inches longer but it's laid out like a large luxury car and the rear is plenty spacious. Still I would hope they lengthen it to about 200 inches on the next go round. The E is narrow and confining with a small trunk and a totally different mid-size type of ride.