Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• blehrlichblehrlich Member Posts: 92
    Why does it seem as if all of the LS430 owners have to justify their purchases? ANYONE who has driven both vehicles would give the performance edge to the MB, especially with the 18" wheels/tires. The LS does, however, excel in other areas.The acceleration gap actually increases with speed (apparently it has something to do with the shape of the torque curve), but who cares...enjoy what you have chosen for its own merits..
    Too bad the LS is really ugly (I had to say something provocative).
  • denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    in the latest comparo between it, the BMW 7-series, Jag and LS (the BMW came in first -- no surprise). Both the BMW and Merc were V8s, due to a reasonable attempt to compensate for the price factor, and the LS was still the least expensive (the Merc stickered at $79 -- some $18k more than the LS). The BMW won for handling and fun, the LS came in a close second (only half a point behind) for build quality, performance (it placed first) and general dynamics, and the Mercedes came in third -- criticized for its lack of performance, poor quality interior materials, and price.

I don't think LS owners need to apologize for anything -- perhaps you're confusing their assurances with your own insecurity?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    You got a real good deal. Now go and enjoy a truly great car and drive it well friend. And you, Flint350, denniswade and I have to have drinks at some airport someday. We certainly made a lot of noise on that luxury board.

denniswade - your a great teammate - every bit as good as the car.
  • denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    Love to take you up on that drink....
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    I'm with you edspider. In 89 when I bought my LS, it came with a CD player (fairly new for cars at the time). I didn't especially want it but got it any way. Sure glad I did. Bought my wife a 98 LS that came with the NAV. Again I really didn't need the NAV but since that particular car came with it, got it anyway. Am I glad; I know now what I would have missed without it. So I went for all the marbles when I got my silver/ecru ULTRA. I'm the only one who drives the car but not the only one who rides in it. Again, I'm glad I did.

Now everyone enjoys all it has to offer. Come to think of it, I'm getting ready to take a 1200 mile trip. Might let my wife drive a little while I soak up some back massage in the back seat
  • wndrwndr Member Posts: 4
    I have been following this board for sometime and found a lot of useful info. Thanks to all those posting constructive and helpful messages.

Just bought LS430 with Mark Levinson, Navigation, Lexus Link, 17" alloys, euro suspension, etc... MSRP $61,230. It is parchment crystal with ecru interior. Leased it for 36 months, 15K miles with zero down for $917/month plus tax (in South Orange County, tax is 7.5%). Drive-off included lux tax, ca state license, doc fee and 1st months payment. No surprizes anywhere. Got it from Longo Lexus (Bill West).

I was offered similar good deal (and exceptionally professional attitude even when I did not buy the car from her) by Lisa Tabori at Fast Imports (www.buyorleaselexus.com).
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    OK, pro-fit doesn't have a unit yet for the ls. someone said an installer modified a different unit to fit the ls. any information. i don't want a stem mount, but if i have to is it safe to put the screws in the center tunnel i just worry that it might puncture something. any help is appreciated since i would prefer hands free.
    has lexus made any changes to the car phone system. i've got a nokia 8860 (chrome unit) too bad they don't make there own "pro-fit" style mount.
  • whybuy1whybuy1 Member Posts: 43
    I just took delivery of an LS430 UL and after a day found it to be everything I hoped for. It is truly an incredible car. When I demonstrate some of the features to my 15 year old daughter she says, "scary." Well, it got a reaction.

I always thought that styling was this car's weakness, but I find the styling to be growing on me.
  • rmginsburgrmginsburg Member Posts: 4
    I finally convinced an installer to try various pro fits. The unit for the 2000 Cadillac worked just fine. It is mounted just to the right of the tune knob for the radio, perfect line of sight for the driver and out of the way for the passenger.

He indicated that it was very similar to the ls400 installs.

One note, we could not find where the antenna on the roof terminated in the car. Does anyone know? (Dealer refused to answer our question)
  • trentpatrentpa Member Posts: 26
    Just ordered an LS430 in mystic sea with ecru standard leather (couldn't justify the cost of the ultra lux package, although I did go with navigation and levinson). My problem: the only LS430's I've seen at the one dealership in my area are black or parchment and both have ivory interiors. Has anyone seen the mystic seamist opalescent? From the brochure chip it looks silvery green (which I like), but from the website it appears to look like a lime got in a fight with an egg yolk! Also, the ecru leather looks like a tan from the brochure, but from the website it looks lighter than the ivory (I wanted something a shade darker than the ivory interior). It's probably not too late to change my order, since I'm told it will take about 4 months to arrive.
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    I've seen the mystic sea - it looks more green/silver than silver/green (a little more sea green than the brochure - less silvery). It's nice, but not vivid. The ecru leather (I have the Ultra version, perforated) is MUCH lighter than the brochure shows. Hope this helps.
    Thanks, Flint. Any idea whether the ecru leather is lighter or darker than the ivory? I didn't think the ecru could be any lighter than the ivory, but you never know . . . Also, heard that you could actually load a DVD movie into the trunk and watch movies on your navigation system while driving (cool, but maybe a little dangerous). Anybody confirm that this can be done? If so, is there sound?
  • barb85barb85 Member Posts: 54
    I heard the DVD would only play a movie if the car is in park; although I haven't tried it.

If one wears a car color like clothing, mystic sea is a good color for blondes (or grey heads with fair skin) but it's especially good for redheads . It is not generally attractive for most brunettes.
    I was getting worried about you until I saw your brief post on the luxury board. Did you get the car? I figured you did and didn't have time for the board during the honeymoon period.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    My LS430 came off the boat last weekend in Jacksonville; it's due to be prepped and trucked to me by this weekend. I will have plenty to say after I finally get behind the wheel.

You do know that I bought my car down in Florida, because the locals would not make a deal. As per my post, I did my lease with Lexus Financial (your advice) and arranged a nice package with a little over $2200 off MSRP. The dealer came back and said he would match...I told him to go to H...that I would stick by the dealer who treated me fairly upfront with no games, even if it was not the most convenient thing to do.

I was treated very well by Lexus of Palm Beach and can recommend someone if anyone is looking to buy; I will let you know when my LS arrives. Thanks for asking...have you discovered anything new about your LS that you especially like or dislike??
  • ifpskenifpsken Member Posts: 39
    Is it possible to ask either of you the residual value used in your lease contract and the cash required to drive off the lot??

It appears that the lease route might be the best route for me being self-employed due to the much, much higher tax deductions allowed for leasing as opposed to purchase. For those who are not aware, the first year depreciation deduction for an outright purchase is approximately $3000 and second year approximately $5000. With a lease payment of $1,000/mo (including tax) x 12 months = $12,000 deduction as opposed to a first year maximum deduction of $3060.

Additionally, if the bank is assuming an optimistic residual and the actual residual is lower than contract residual, the lesee benefits.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    Went to my installer (he installed all my phones last 3 years) showed him the above posts and he tried. Used a honda profit mount and placed it just to the right of the cd door slightly lower. the limiting thing was the wire length given for the nokia phone kit.placed the mic left of the overhead console near the lexus link stuff. plugged it into the console power outlet and bingo it looks clean.
    My residual was 57% of the $61230 MSRP on 39 mo lease.

My driveoff was $1205 ($994 of this was the first month's payment)...so my tag and other docs were only $211. My lease payment includes both 3% North Carolina sales tax and the lux tax too.

If you use a car for business, leasing is the only way to go. Hope this helps....
    I'll give you my only gripe. When you put a child's seat in the middle of the back seat you can't use the rear seat heaters or the other gadgetry of the ultra. Now of course you could put the seat by the window and this problem goes away but I'm not going to go into details of how my wife feels about a car seat by the window. And as you can surmise I don't have this problem in the pine. The ML radio sounds better all the time and I love the Nav. The ride is spectacular and the acceleration is scary. Watch your speed - I was up to 90mph the other day and didn't have a clue. Brakes are also excellent. Do you live on the coast? If so go down 17 and watch how awesome the ocean looks on the nav. I'm familiar with southern part of NC as I've been to Myrtle beach several times and may drive down again this summer.
  • tv1db1tv1db1 Member Posts: 12
    Trentpa, the ecru is lighter then the ivory. I did see the mystic sea LS430 this weekend with black leather at my dealer. The mystic sea is a nice color, but it didn't seem to go with the black. I think you picked a good combo. I went with the silver with ecru, ML and SP and I should have it by this 3-3. It's been 4 months, but the can is in Port Newark in NJ.

I'm buying the car and just got approved through Chase at 7.6% which was better then Lexus could do, but just a tick over e-loan at 7.39%.
    Thanks so much. Will stay with my original selection, although if the ecru is lighter than the ivory, why is the ecru sample in the brochure significantly darker? Strongly prefer the wood that comes with the ecru leather in the non-ultra over the other wood. I guess nothing to do now except wait, and wait, and wait for it to come in. As another aside, I've read with interest the discussions comparing the LS430 with other competitors. Since I've been driving and buying cars for almost a quarter-century now, I've ALWAYS bought GM, and had every intention of buying a Cadillac STS, until I sat in it and drove it. Although it handles OK, it simply isn't comfortable. On a lark (and based on a list I saw about shrinking headroom in cars), I went to Lexus dealer and sat in the 430 and knew I'd be buying one even before I drove it. Although not the sexiest car on the road, it is nice looking, but it handles like a dream and is so very comfortable. Can hardly wait until it arrives.
    My residual was 57% on 36 month lease. The drive-off was $2560 which included:

$986 1st pmt (= $917 pmt + 7.5% sales tax in Orange COunty, CA)
    + $45 doc fees
    + $5 CA tire fee
    + $780 CA state license fees
    + $744 Luxary tax

Hope this helps.
    It's been a week and love my new LS Nav/ML. One problem - the speech command for the Nav does not seem to work. I followed the direction exactly as described in the manual (press the speech command button and talk into the microphone when the right icon is displayed) I have tried many many times, also had my friends (just to make sure that it was not my voice/accent) try but no luck. Can anyone help?

Thanks
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Suggestion on speach command: Press and release command button. While icon is displayed recite an exact command. Repeat it Try different commands ( those given in the manual). If that doesn't work, blame the California accent.

Hope this helps.
    I have tried exactly what you said, still no luck. Must be the aceent. Actually, I have also had a couple of friends try it as well. I guess, I will have to take it back to the shop.

Thx.
    Does speech command require the hands free phone? If so, will it work with a Nokia after market installation?
    Actually, if there is one glaring weakness in the LS, it is the implementation of the phone and speech command. To answer your questions, tho', speech command doesn't require the phone for use with the nav system. It works separately thru the wheel mounted switch and built-in microphone. To use it you just press and release the wheel switch, a speech icon appears on the nav screen with a beep, then you say your command such as "show restaurants" or "I'm hungry". As for the phone, there is no factory install right now. They were installing a Sprint only system with (I believe) Nokia phones, but there were many complaints and they have stopped selling it. Supposedly they are working on an updated system. Only time will tell. I was told that Lexus has even offered to buy back previously installed Sprint phones. There are some after-market systems being used, but with varying results and limitations. Hope this helps.
  • afinegoldafinegold Member Posts: 57
    If any of you are looking to buy an LS430 and want to see a complimentary review and a variety of exterior and interior photos, or just want some detailed info on the various options, try the following link:

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/LexusLS430/Index.htm

Even though the review is several months old and was based on the reviewer driving a pre-production model, he does a good job of explaining the availability and workings of most of the options on the car.

I think that most participants on this board will enjoy the article and photos.

Al Finegold

• tv1db1tv1db1 Member Posts: 12
    Trentpa, it's odd that the ecru looks darker then the ivory in the book, but it's not. And yes, the light wood looks perfect with the ecru.

I never really looked at the caddy, but I did fall in "lust" with the BMW 740iL. However, I fell in "love" with the Lexus.

As for sexy! It grows on you and I liked the looks for the old S-class MB which I've read the LS looks like.
    Scroll up about a month or so and look at pix of Flint350's Black Cherry. He put it on the board. Seems to be a rare color and looks awesome. Flint - I still haven't seen one on road here in NJ or at my dealership. I do love the pine color though.
    About two days ago I learned from two different dealers that Custom Luxury will not be available until June, and by order only. I also learned that all future LSs with any Luxury package will have chrome wheels.

Has anyone seen the dark red leather interior? Is there too much red? How would you describe the interior? Rich? Elegant? Sporty? Can a person relax in the midst of all that red?
  • pai7pai7 Member Posts: 35
    I got tired of the unpredictable availability of the Custom Luxury package,I ordered a LS430 with Levinson,Navigation and Lexus Link about a month ago.The car was delivered yesterday.It was Silver with black leather interiorand Golden Birds-eye Maple wood trim.This car is very much improved over the previous model(LS400) in every respect.The fit and finish,ride handling and performance is First Class.For last two years I had considered the MB Sclass as I have owned quite a few MBs in the past 2 decades.But a long test drive on the new LS changed my mind.
    I wish to thank all persons who regularly participated on this board whose input played a part in my selection of this awesome car.
    Thanks. I haven't seen a blk cherry other than mine yet either (Maryland). My dealer told me I got the only one in this area so far (I got on the list early). I thought it was gorgeous when I first got it and it keeps growing on me. The darker colors, like the pine, have a tendency to change intensity and character in different light. It gets lots of looks! (uh oh, I'm beginning to sound like a Benz nut needing the envious glances of others!?!? lol).
  • antlers1antlers1 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone actually SEEN a Sunset Mist Pearl LS430? My wife likes lilacs & pink tones, & is interested in this color. Our dealer hasn't had one in, & isn't sure that they're even being made, even though they're listed in the brochure & Lexus website. Also, how dark is the charcoal leather interior that it comes with -- more of a light grey or almost black? Antlers1
    A woman at Lexus Customer Satisfaction told me that the Sunset Mist Pearl is pinkish. You can see colors on the Lexus website under "Build Your Own Lexus". I was interested in this color too; however, I think it may be harder to resale because it would appeal to mostly women. It may sell well in Florida and California (but I'm not there). I do think, though, that the dark red interior would be stunning with the sunset mist pearl. The production number for that car in February was zero, according to that same Customer Satisfaction woman. Having a sunset mist would be like having a one of a kind!
    Sunday (tomorrow) morning I'm expecting a flatbed to deliver an Ultra Luxury black cherry pearl with bordeaux interior from 650 miles away. I wanted Custom Lux, but I'm not waiting any longer. I'm apprehensive about all that red, but red is my favorite color... I haven't seen the red exterior or red interior in person before. They emailed me a picture of the inside but the light was too bright, and there was still plastic packing material on the passenger seat. I'm so excited!!! I hope I did the right thing.

p.s. Only two of these are in the country.
  • 97mazda97mazda Member Posts: 9
    I have a 94 LS400 and engine is a little noisy,is it the injectors?Sounds like ticking.I only have 80,000 miles on the car.So it could not be the lifters.Does anyone else hear this?
  • 97mazda97mazda Member Posts: 9
    Someone said they felt vibration at high speeds.I had my 94 LS400 up to 110mph and didn't feel any vibration.I have Michelin Pilot's on the car.I give this vehicle an a+++.
  • slexyslexy Member Posts: 31
    My Lexus dealer service manager just told me that the Euro-Sport suspension model has been discontinued. Can anyone verify? If so, then why was this done? All the car magazines liked it, and chat room comments were positive!
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    Sounds fishy. Mine is being delivered next week.
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    I have been reading this board for months and want to thank all involved for the info. Now that I am about to order, I have a slew of questions: (1) can anyone give me guidance on the diff. bet. the 16 and 17 in. wheels w/o the Eurosport suspension? I like the way the 17's look, but wonder whether there is an adverse impact on ride quality and whether you get the same tires just in a larger size. (2) Has anyone figured out how to stop the recording on the Links system at start-up? I can't imagine listening to that thing every time I turn the key; its enough to make me order the car w/o. (3) my dealer tells me that special orders are still running 90-120 days. Is this consistent w/recent experience? (4) Finally, my dealer (in Northern VA) thus far is willing only to absorb the destination fee (~$500); no other discount, even though I bought 2 other Lexuses from them (90 LS w/ 120k & 99 RX 300). Are others finding better deals? Thanks very much!
    When are you getting the car? I believe you took the silver with the ecru which is the car that my wife now refers to as "her car". It's a beautiful combo.

For the poster wondering about the ecru interior the book depiction of the car is far darker than the actual color. This is almost an off white color and thus very bright and cheerful.
    I just bought an Ultra Luxury MSRP $71,085 for $66,800. Yes, that's a $4,285 discount.
    I got my LS430 last week.It is Silver with Black interior (a beautiful combination which comes with Birds-eye Maple trim),Levinson,Navigation,17" ,Lexus link, MSRP$61230, sale price $57730 a discount $3500,after serious but civilized negotations.So shop around.
    You've bought two cars from the local dealer, and they won't cut you a deal?? You can see from the posts....shop around. I got $2500 of MSRP of $61,230.

RE: wheels...get the 17s...no loss in ride quality with much better handling. No need for the Euro with these...

TO:ljfix....my car arrives today
    Don't feel bad. My local dealer wouldn't do any better for me than $2,500 discount, so I went elsewhere. My local only gets in 2 Ultras a month and has a waiting list of about 10. Why should he cut a better deal? Go to a big dealer that gets lots of cars--they'll cut you a good deal with serious negotiations. They want the turnover.
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I sent out axes this am.. soliciting bids from 10 dealers I/in a day's drive; I will let you know what they turn up. With respect to the debate about the AS's "sedate" styling, I haven't seen anyone connect the car's supposedly unexciting silhouette and the exceptionally low drag numbers. Surely the design team had to make compromises to the engineers to produce the drag coefficients achieved. Maybe nexus could still have done more, but perhaps not. Any engineers out there want to chime in on this?
    wow did the spell check do a number on that one! apologies from the new guy!
    What are your thoughts on the black interior...any worry about heat in the summer? Did you deal with your local Lexus dealer to get $3500 off or did you have to go out of state?
    Thanks
    I selected the black interior as I really wanted the birds-eye maple wood trim and the other alternative would have been ECRU which would have been too light for my taste.I agree that I will have to pay a price in terms of heat during summer for selecting the black interior but the combination of silver exterior with maple trim and black interior is stunning....Just like the designo Silver option on MBS 430,of course they will charge you almost $10000 for this trim.I dealt with the local dealership and I and my friends have bought 7 or 8 new Lexi from the same salesman within last 3 years.By the way the dealership is located about 100 miles south of Charlotte on I-77.Another friend of mine saw my car today and he and his wife are planning to visit the dealership this weekend.Incidentally I also own a 92 SC400 which was bought in Altanta and this local dealership has given me outstanding service so far.