Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Are all LS430s being delivered with 18 inch wheels now? Makes no sense to me. It seems that most car makers have now decided that 6 cylinder cars should have 17 inch wheels and 8 cylinder cars should have 18 inch wheels. I don't agree with this kind of thinking.
  • mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
    rcf8000: I do not know if all ls430's are being built/shipped with the 18" wheel and dunlop bicycle tire $ 190 upgrade . the customer service center in torrance pleads the 5th on that one .

the only thing they do say is "lexus is moving toward a more aggressive larger wheel/tire combination to meet the competition " .

lexus distribution ( of cars ) is done by zones . each zone's dealers get together on a regular basis and colusively decide what options to order on the cars destined for their zone . therefore , all automobiles in any one zone have the same monroney sticker prices . i was told by several dealers in my zone that the new york dealers pushed for the 18's , claiming " market competition " ... and they won out .

no one would tell me if there are zones that ordered the ls430's without the $ 190 tire/wheel upgrade. i have not phoned any dealers in florida or texas etc.

i most certainly 100% agree with you ... that this kind of thinking eliminates those of us who were the backbone of the ls430's sales . we became accustomed to a very tight cadillac ride without the floating , plenty of power , toys that work , bluetooth , and few visits to the dealer other than routine service .

mitchell rowe
  • dorothykdorothyk Member Posts: 31
    This is an excellent discussion. I am in the market for a 05 LS 430 and had numerous discussions about the tires with the dealer. It would be helpful to potential buyers if Lexus put the a warning in their brochure similar to Mercedes: “High performance tires are optimized for performance driving and may provide reduced ride comfort, increase tire noise, substantially increased tire tread wear and greater susceptibility to damage compared to normal tires”. The LS 430 was not designed as a performance sedan. Lexus is shipping cars with the larger wheels because they “look better” but at the expense of everything that makes a Lexus a Lexus. Our test drives of several 05 LS 430 have been disappointing. Although the engine is very quiet, road, tire, and wind noise are noticeable and unacceptable for this class of car. I never had the opportunity to drive the original LS 400 but the term “whisper quiet” does not match our experience with the car. In Chester Dawson book “Lexus The Relentless Pursuit”, Jim Perkins (Toyota VP) told Ichiro Suzuki (Chief engineer on the LS 400 project) during a test drive that he thought he could heard a “slight wind noise” on the driver’s side. Suzuki spent the next few hours straining to hear the noise without success. Obviously, this level of soundproofing is no longer a priority at Lexus. We were expecting the LS 430 to be an order of magnitude better in terms of interior noise and ride quality than our 2000 Toyota Avalon. This has not been our experience. The dealer did agree to try and order the LS 430 with the standard 17-inch wheels but the wait could be on the order of several months.

In a recent article entitles, “Lexus Eyes Performance Crowd”, the author makes the comment “How much more quiet can your car be?” Well, in my opinion, a lot.
    I wonder who the competition is that Lexus is trying to meet. The LS is already the number one luxury sedan. Why would they try to make it like the other guys' cars. Why not just make two flavors: a base car with 17" wheels and all season tires and a "sport" version with the euro suspension and 18" wheels with summer tires.
    dorothyk : i enjoyed your writing . thank you .

in my case : i ordered a 2005 ls430 that was on an early december boat . it had 17" wheels and dunlop d 5000 tires ( v ) . how did i know ?

the zone manager located the car for me . my dealer showed me on the order " run" the difference in the car's # with 17's or 18" wheels. when my car came in , it was sold to someone else . obviously i was offered one with the 18" wheels and bicycle dunlops . they balanced the tires/wheels to an almost , as the wheel vibration in the steering wheel and seat was still apparent on black top flat roads at highway speed . enough said .

IF THE LS430 IS FITTED WITH THE 17" WHEELS AND OEM DUNLAP D 5000'S , THE CAR IS AS QUIET AS A CHURCH MOUSE . PUT MICHELIN MXV4'S ON , AND IT STAYS QUIET , AND GRABS THE PAVEMENT LIKE A BEAR CLAW. ie : the car has not changed , the wheel/tire setup changed . many people i know share my opinion ... they over did it this time . worse : they are ignoring it like it isn't happening . like plain old vanilla car people , not the " chosen few " at what was lexus .
  • ggeorgeggeorge Member Posts: 4
    Tks oac, Your info is very helpfull. One other question, "What kind of tires are you using?" I have been unable to find out what was on the LS when it was delivered from Toyota!!
    ggeorge : answer to your question : need your info :

what year is your ls ? different years had different tires .

me : i do not have an 05' ls430 anymore .

the dealer and i made a deal . the car went back to the dealer with 600 miles on it , i took a gx470 ( new also ) with michelin's , nav & levinson ... back up camera and bluetooth .. with the extra horsepower . the vehicle is reasonably quiet , more than enough power , and is extremely comfortable .

i would buy an '05 ls when they give up on these mickey mouse tires and 18" wheels .
    Just as a follow-up… The original LS 400 shipped with 15-inch wheels. Doing some tire math, the 18-inch tires currently being shipped on 05 LS430 are 19.5% wider with a sidewall height (important for ride quality) that is 17.4% less than the original tires on the LS 400. As a market point, the 05 Mercedes S430 also is available in the identical tires sizes. The dealers may be more to blame than Lexus for the current situation but Lexus is slowly moving to larger wheel sizes as compared to the original LS 400.

At least we can see the changes in the tires; does anyone know if the level of soundproofing has been reduced from the levels used on the LS 400? I would love it if Lexus offered a “Ultra Hush” option that added additional soundproofing. The Custom package does offer laminated side windows but it not clear if the additional benefits are noticeable.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    I am freaking out on this topic. I have had my '05 LS with the 18" Dunlops for a few months and have loved it, but virtually all my driving has been non-highway. I took it out on the highway briefly this afternoon, and I did not notice any "shimmying", "bouncing", "grumbling", or "wandering", but I did notice some vibration coming through the steering wheel. Is this the a manifestation of the tire balance problem?

Coming out of an E320, I frankly found the ride with the 18" Dunlops absolutely comfortable enough, and the handling was also completely acceptable (despite the comments of over-softness expressed by some German car aficionados). I attributed the latter as a positive due to the 18" Dunlops. But I certainly don't want to find my highway driving to be uncomfortable, especially if it gets worse as the tires age.

Are there others out there with the 18" Dunlops that are satisfied with the driving experience at highway speeds? Or is this really a universal problem?

BTW, my '98 E320 came with Goodyear Eagle LS tires which I hated (VERY noisy, bad traction), which I eventually replaced with Michelin MXV4+ which I like much better. So I know that the right tires can make a big difference with any good car.

Anyone think one should be able to get the dealer to change out the 18" Dunlops for 17" MXV4+s? Can they even be found anymore?
    dorothyk :

the current model ls430( 2001 to 2005 ) , in my opinion is quieter than the 1990 /1991 first version . the difference is simply a consequence of the 18" wheels with rock hard sidewalls and less tread on the ground multiplied by 4 tires .

the 17 " wheels on the '03 , ' 04 & early '05's

with the oe dunlap d 5000's create a serene interior environment . when the d5000 - 17's are a mismatch ( one of the tires has a bad belt - etc ) they are replaced with michelin mxv4 energy.
    garyh1 :

is your '05ls a sport model or standard model >

the sport model has summer tires , the standard model > all season . the highway speed referred is a recently laid blacktop @ 60 62 65 70 72 and 75 mph . or an older blacktop where the heavy trucks have made indentations over time in the passing lane where the tires will try to follow the crown .

cannot say it is a universal problem , no scientific study .

the vibration in the steering wheel is a symptom . if that's all you get is a vibe , let it go... as the tires are going to die at 20k miles anyway ( see sticker that was on your upper passenger side exterior windshield - warning the buyer that the tires had a 20 k mile life

( + or _ ) ... lexus ls430's are not supposed to have any vibration ... they are supposed to feel like the road isn't there .

dealer changing 18's to 17's etc ....

you'll need new wheels ( 17's ) what's he going to do with your 18's ?

mxv4's are not built in the 18" oe size ... only 15 , 16 and 17's .
    Mine are the all-season Dunlops ($190 option).

Yes, I assume I would have a real battle with the dealer to have to change out the wheels and tires.

So what tires would I even replace the Dunlops with when they wear out that will be any better?
    garyh1 :

the michelin is a " pilot " ... rated " w "

cost is $ 325 each - retail ... rediculous .

if you are not leasing and own the car for the long haul , you'll call " the tire rack " and

order a set of 17" 's with mxv4 energy...

they ups to your door or mechanic already mounted and 100% in perfect balance .

or : if this 18" tire thing get's out of control ... eventually the factory ( lexus ) will

relent and admit they have a clown in their midst ... and buy everyone 17's with dunlopd 5000's ... ( pipe dreamer ? )
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Dorothy,

I have my original 1992 LS still..I'd say it rides smoother and is definitely soundproofed better. If you turn on the stereo in the '92 get out of the car and shut the door, you can barely hear anything..On the '02/05 you can hear alot more..I find the '92 more of a "cruiser" whilst the 2005 is more involving..Granted, I haven't driven the car on 18"s yet..

Gary,

I wouldn't freak out.. The Vibration may have been due to the road surface. If it is a tire issue, you'll notice it will occur at a specific speed.. Try varying the speed on various roads..If this becomes a real problem take it to your dealer ASAP..It will be easier to get a new set of tires when you have such low mileage.

Actually the easiest solution is to simply buy used 17" LS430 wheels off Ebay in the long term. You'll be rewarded with longer tire life and a more comfortable ride..Not to mention the lower tire price will help offset the new rim cost...

17" wheels as a package probably are near 1K retail and lower used..Keep in mind the LS430 has been around since '01 so used examples should be widely available.

Mitchellrowe,

Great posts so far. Back in '02 the dealer was more than happy to swap the rims for me. They likely sell those 18's as replacements or something..I'm surprised you gave up your LS for a GX..I would have pushed for the 17 inch wheels..They have plenty of used LS430's lying around..If this becomes an issue for me, I'll advocate that solution to the dealer. I agree these 18 inch wheels are fashion nonsense. I didn't like the 17" in my Euro Suspension '02 to begin with..

SV
    Hi George,

Congrads on your purchase..I had a '98 and it came with Dunlop SP 5000's..It was an okay tire..I'd slap michelin MXV4's on it for a smoother and quieter ride..The winter traction is pretty good...I've taken my '92 LS in bad weather with those tires and it was great..However, the mileage on those tires are around 40-45K..

The timing belt is pretty standard at 90K..I'm not sure whether the 98 is a non-interference engine. Check with your Service Consultant..If it is not the belt snapping will cause significant damage. Also, it is convenient to replace the Water Pump while the have the engine apart..They'll only charge you for part cost. That service should run you around $1,000...I negotiate my service prices all the time and save around 20%..You'd be surprised how much dealer prices vary.

Also, have them change the Power Steering Fluid and clean the screen..This is a little tidbit they don't put in the Owners Manual..If you leave it alone, the pump will leak and take out the alternator with it..The dealer might tell you it's "Lifetime fluid" but don't buy into it..The P/S pump is a $725 repair.

Another thing..The Lexus cars I've had tended to be sensitive to Carbon buildup (I do alot of around town driving)..If you've just bought the car get a can of BG44K fuel treatment. (~$20) It will clean out the fuel system completely. For routine service use a bottle of Chevron Techron every other oil change.

The only other things I can think of are suspension bushings (Relatively cheap $125 to replace) and shocks. They charged me $325 to do the rear.

Hope that helps!

SV
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    "What kind of tires are you using?"

The standard OE wheel size on your '1999 LS is 225/60/16. OE tires are typically the Bridgestone Turanzas LS, H-rated. This is a very good tire and well recommended on your LS. I am on the factory 16" rims, wrapped with a set of Goodyear Eagle GT, H-rated tires. Very good on wet and dry traction. The ride is firm and noise level is real low. I swapped out of a Dunlop A2 Sport (terrible tires, I won't recommend). But for more help on tire choices, check out tirerack.com

BTW, sv7887 has given you a whole lot of extremely good advice on maintaining your LS. Good luck.
  • ggeorgeggeorge Member Posts: 4
    My thanks to all, Mitch, SV, and OAC. Great tire and maintenance advice. Will copy and use. Thanks again.

G. George
  • billsoterbillsoter Member Posts: 49
    A few months ago a stone hit the windshield on my 2003 LS which necessitated the windshield being replaced. It was replaced with a Lexus windshield. The rain sensor was moved from the old windshield to the new one. Since then, however, my automatic windshield wiper setting has worked erratically or not at all. Does anyone have any idea what is involved in repairing/replacing the sensor or whatever else is involved?
    Hi Bill,

On my old '02 I had to have the rain sensor replaced twice to get it right. I think it detaches from the winshield by grabbing it from each side. The dealer only took a few minutes to repair that. I had it done when I sent it in for it's 15K and then 20K oil changes. There is a TSB out on the sensor as it wipes in really hot weather without any rain. Your car is under warranty so I'd have the dealer replace it.

SV
  • billsoterbillsoter Member Posts: 49
    SV

Thanks. I was afraid it might be much more involved.

Bill
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    BILL:

THAT SHOULD BE COVERED UNDER WARRENTY, Call your dealer.
    I don't care about the back seat ammenities, but I presume the door closers, laminated windows, and air suspension are intended to reduce the noise levels and improve the ride quality. To those of you who have driven both the base LS430 and the UltraLux: is the UL significantly better with regard to ride smoothness and noise?
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    My 2004 custom lux appears to me to be smoother than my (wifes) '01 ultra which has air.
    Do both cars have the same diameter wheels?
    My O1 ultra has 17 in.
    Hi Michael,
    How has your 01 treated you so far? I'm wondering whether all of this added electronics is going to affect the long term reliability of the LS..It's not that I don't enjoy my backup camera, but just wonder if it will end up costing me a fortune to replace..I think part of the durability of my 92 has been the lack of toys in it. (Compared to the newer models)

My '05 seems to ride smoother than my older '02..They claimed to have made some suspension mods. I haven't driven it much however as I'm here in London on business. My wife has it all to herself now..I bet when I get back she won't give it back!

SV
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I have totally lost control of my car situation. The GX was supposed to be my wife's and the LS was mine, or at least it was supposed to be. Don't know how or when I lost it but these days I'm driving the GX 75% of the time. Next time I'm getting this in writing.
    ljflx,
    No kidding! I bet she won't even give mine back once I go back home. I don't mind driving my old LS400, but I bought that '05 for a reason!! Dammit, that's MY toy..Maybe I need to get her a cuddly dog to distract her. I see alot of West Highland Terriers here in London that she'd love...

There is a saying about men: "Men don't grow up, the toys just get more expensive.." Which in my case is true..There was nothing wrong with my '02..It only had 25K miles when I traded it. But all those cool toys in the '05 just made me go for it..Quite addictive these cars..I also don't need a XJ8..But I sure wouldn't mind having one to play with. Knowing my luck she'll take that one too!

SV
    My car has very low milage...Just at 30,000..other then a rock busting the Laser Cruse control (Paid by my ins.) I have had no problems what so ever...Even got it replace with Radar Cruse (I haven't noticed any difference)

The Japanese are masters of Electronics...I don't forsee any problems for years to come.
    You might want to Take a look at a Cairn Terrior..Look like Westies but a little smaller and I think a nicer looking face..Also come in colors ...White is tough to keep clean..Almost the same terrior personality but I am told a little nicer to visitors.

Very sturdy Dogs (both)
  • jvcnjvcn Member Posts: 50
    quote:
    I'm wondering whether all of this added electronics is going to affect the long term reliability of the LS.
    quote:

I'm wondering the same thing. How are the early LS430s doing in terms of high mileage? Do we have many reports of problems at the 90K mark? There should be a few 2001s at that level by now.
    I have written a few posts here on maintainance issues on my '99 LS400, loaded for that period of model year. No mechanical or electronic glitches to date with 98K miles. Oh, I remember, a glitch with the outside mirror not tilting when the car is in R (with mirror control set to L). Fixed by dealer based on TSB. That's it.
    Hi Len:

Just so you know that you are not losing much with your GX (vs LS), it is the best of the whole bunch in its class, according to Edmunds. See the comparo here:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=10- 3624/pageId=61244
  • jvcnjvcn Member Posts: 50
    Yes, but that's also an LS400. I wanted to know if the new **LS430s** were built to last as long as the LS400s. [I myself have a 96k mile 1995 LS400]

We know that the LS430s have more features. What I want to know is if the 2001-2005 LS430s are as reliable at the 100K and 150K marks as the entire LS400 1990-2000 series. Most of the stories heard about great long term LSs seem to be about the 400 series. One Lexus mechanic I talked to suggested that the new 430s may not be as good in the long haul as the LS400s.
    Jvcn,
    My Lexus dealer Service dept tells a similar tale..When I was getting frustrated with my LS400's issues after the accident they strongly advised me to keep it. On one hand, they'd love the $$$ that I would have to dish out to keep it working order, but on the other it hasn't had a single issue. After I got the accident issues sorted out, it's been back to its bulletproof ways.

Given that the LS400 was Toyota's first shot, it was probably overengineered to some degree much like the old S Class Benzes it was to compete with. If anything the LS was probably built to a better standard than even that car.

My '92 has 93K on it now..Other than services I've replaced shocks and suspension bushings..All of these are strictly wear related that any car would need..I never changed the Power Steering Fluid, so it started to leak..They replaced it when I had the 90K done at 84K...That's it..I never thought this car would hold up so well when I bought it..It's not in my nature to keep cars beyond their warranty period, but this car has been a sheer pleasure to own.

My '02 LS430 had it's rain sensor replaced twice, the steering column assembly replaced all around 10K. It wasn't a bad car but compared to my LS400 it doesn't exude that "Built to last an eternity feel" I just don't see all of these electronic toys being flawless in 13 yrs. Especially the Nav screen..

SV
    When the Nav. Goes the car Goes...It is my very favorite feature.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    sv7887, I can understand your position. My
    '90 LS400 purchased in August 1989 and sold in 2000 with 130,000 miles on it was the most trouble-free car I've ever owned- more so than my '98 LS, and my '01 LS. However, so far I've had no problems with the '04 LS with 13k miles.
  • jbeejbee Member Posts: 4
    Is there a list of all the voice commands for my new LS430? I can't find it documented.
    I took delivery of a new LS430 which I love. Lots of road feel on the various surfaces we have here in downstate NY.

Are the 17" wheels going to give a much softer ride? The dealer says if I want I can have them.

Any advantages to the 18" wheels?
    The general concensus is that the 18' give more of a sport ride..a little stiffer in the corners but also a more noisy and firmer ride...

I have 17" and like them, the tires have a higher sidewall then tires for 18" which allows for a smoother softer ride. Tires make a big difference I have All Season Dunlaps and wish I had Bridgestone Turansa's ...since I have little opportunity to drive over 100..I will get the H rated which I believe are a little softer then higher speed rated Bridgestones
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    A little bit tricky, took me about 3 minutes to find it again.
    (1) With key on or accessory, depress the "Voice Command" button on the left side of the steering column.
    (2) Command/Speak screen will appear on Nav system.
    (3) On the right side of the screen is a block "Operational Guide", highlight that and you should have access to whatever you need.

also, try the "Vocie Command" button and say "HELP", I think that will do it, but I did not try it recently. Good Luck
    I also got a list of voice commands included in the cardboard quick reference sheet for the nav system. Don't know if you have that.
    I'd like to find a list of the voice commands available for the LS430 (05).

I can't seem to find the documentation.

All help is appreciated
    I can't find the post I made last evening on "Voice Commands". Anyway, depress the "Voice Command" switch on the left side of the steering column and the screen will come up with two selections, one being "HELP". Press Help and then the next screen will have a choice on the right near the top "Operational Guide". Press on Operational Guide and the different selections on voice commands will apprear.
    Good Luck.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Is this the post you couldn't find? rgsw, "Lexus LS" #6973, 21 Feb 2005 1:00 am

You can always find links to your last 5 or so posts by clicking on your profile.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Pat, I forgot about that....
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    I had my SC for three days before losing it to the head of household. No real complaint as I ended up "stuck" in another LS.
    Advantages 18" vs. 17" Tires

1. Slightly better wet/dry braking
    2. Slightly better emergency handling
    3. Slightly better wet/dry cornering
    4. Slightly better ice braking
    5. Visual Appearance

Disadvantages 18" vs. 17" Tires

1. Significantly worse hydroplaning
    2. Significantly worse ride comfort and noise
    3. Significantly worse performance in the snow
    4. Significantly more expense to replace
    5. Increased risk of damage from potholes and
    curbs
    6. Significantly less tread life
  • brewer10brewer10 Member Posts: 6
    Hi folks...long-time reader but rarely post. Here's my question. I have an '04 LS and have successfully connected my Motorola V600 via bluetooth (also had success with a Nokia). Just got a new Treo 650 and can seem to get it to connect. Anyone have any ideas or heard of this issue. Thanks in advance.
    PalmOne has posted an software update for the Treo 650 that apparently makes it work with the Lexus Bluetooth. See my post #6807 for the link. Also, to get it to work with a Lexus, you apparently need to go through these steps (taken from a post on a Treo forum):

"After making sure that "Allow Bluetooth to wake up" is enabled in your Treo,

1) Initiate pairing from the car;
    2) Respond with passcode from Treo;
    3) The Treo will say you connected, the car says it is still waiting;
    4) Disregard the car's message;
    5) Select the Handsfree as a Trusted Device in the Treo Bluetooth;
    6) Initiate a call from the Treo;
    7) The car handsfree will pickup the call.

Notes:

1) Incoming calls to the Treo popup on the car screen as well as the Treo's, but even with the ringer on in the Treo, I don't hear an audible ring from the car.
    2) Outgoing calls placed from the Treo reliably get routed to the Handsfree;
    2) Once paired as above, the car Handsfree will re-pair every time you get in the car or turn the car off then back on"

Hope this helps!