Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    Has anyone seen the 2004 LS in Cypress pearl or Flint mica? If so how did it look in those colors.
  • I just received and installed the 2003 NAV DVD update on a 2001 LS 430. Few pointers:

1. I purchased it from lexus-parts.com for $288 plus $10 UPS shipment
    2. Followed the procedure in msg #4769, thanks to flint350.
    3. Be careful when removing the screws. I had to spend 20 min. retrieving one screw that fell underneath the DVD player.
    4. The DVD player is difficult to handle in the limited available space. Re-attaching the screws was not easy.
    5. The new DVD has many updates for the northern San Diego area (where I live), so I feel it is well worth it.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Bellevue Lexus parts department expressed reluctance to sell me an update since new revision will be out soon.
  • I saw flint Mica at my dealer on the show room floor...I liked the color chip in the 04 brochure but just HATED the color on a full sized car.

It has been about a month but as I recall it just looked like kind of an ugly dark brown.

The dealer people liked it, so please keep in mind this is just my opinion and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    That color looks good on an MB s-class so I thought it would look good on the LS. The color that intrigues me the most is the Cypress pearl. I'm very curious to see it in that color. Even car and driver indicated a preference for the color in the lux comparo they just did. I thought the briarwood pearl would have that dark brown color.
  • I'm sorry...It was the Briarwood....you are absolutely right.
  • For those with 2nd gen LS (1998 - 2000), this may be of help:

I just had my HD-based Nav updated to the 09/2003 version on my '99.

The good: I really like the update. The changes are subtle but give it a nice touch. Two key changes: font size, and screen brightness. Not to mention the 1million POI on the updated version. The white background is very nice indeed ! I like it a lot. I am going to try it out on the newer communities built recently (2001 and up) here in the north county of San Diego, and see if how well it locates these.

The bad: I drove into my garage and wanted to mark it as my HOME. Rather it marked the house with a wrong house #. Yikes !

Two local dealers gave quotes that were $140 apart. One quote was $300 (part) + $100 (labor). The other quoted $230 (part) + $30 (labor). The point here: Shop around.
  • My opinion is that neither the briarwood or flint do the car justice. I believe you need to go with a traditional color for it, such as black or white, etc. My opinion. And briarwood is awful
  • yeah sorry one question i dont think anyone really clarified was: does the update also update the system's new look with new icons and stuff?
    I was told by the dealer to not bother because only POI's will be updated because I have a 2001. He said the look and everything else will stay the same.
  • zdudezdude Posts: 22
    I think it is a beautiful color. It looks black in low light and kind of a metallic dark gray in bright sunlight. I also ordered with euro sport package.
    I will have to see that Flint mica in person. I'd expect the car will look great in that color but having not seen it yet who knows. I'm between black, cypress pearl and the flint mica right now when I re-up a new lease in early 2004. I wasn't crazy about the LS in white in the 2001-03 years but maybe the styling tweaks will make a difference. One thing great about white and silver is that they hide dirt real well.
  • You should have more choices for the LS430 for younger clients who can afford this car, such as cobalt or azure blue, pale yellow, aquamarine, or fire engine red, rather than just multiple shades of white, silver-grey, or black.
  • Although the dark colors can look great, they are really a pain to keep up. After the first zano, and the newness fades --pay attention- Tony
  • Agreed Tony - I will NEVER own a dark car again, they are a royal pain to keep clean. My car now is silver, which is a cinch. Almost always looks good. Only thing that really needs cleaning to make it look great is the wheels!
  • I just bought the 2004 LS in the Briarwoood Pearl color. It is magnificant!!. Especially with the gold package and chrome wheels. I had a 2001 LS Blue Pearl , which was a pain to keep clean. It showed every bit of dust, and water mark. The new Briarwood, shows no dirt, and shimmers in the sunlight. Thank goodness not everyone likes the some color. Also I won't have any difficulty identifying my car in the parking lot!!
  • I own a 2001 LS430. I cannot comment on what the dealer told you, I can only tell you about my experience. The look of the new DVD is largely the same as the old one, even though I noticed certain features that I have not seen before such as signs of churches, golf courses, etc. The new DVD has definitely a significant map update. It is difficult for me to guess the cut-off date of the new map, since at least in one place a road which is still under construction is already in the map, while in another place, a freeway on/off ramp that was finished about 6 months ago is not yet in the map. I live in a rapidly expanding area, and my guess is that at least 2-3 years of additional road construction have been added to the new map.
  • Being young myself I understand what ou are saying. But when you look at the LS, it just wouldn't look right in any other colors. (Could you imagine what it would look like in fire engine red?) The LS is intended to look more luxurious, rather than share colors with an IS, SC, SL, etc.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Posts: 378
    Saw this magazine at the newstand this morning. The LS430 is the top premium car. The "cons" were small rear seats and tiny trunk. I guess people were probably comparing the LS430 with the S500. I agree after owning the S500, that the overly space in the LS430 is indeed tighter. But this also makes the LS430 sportier.

The "pros" were supreme quietness, among others. This point I do not agree 100%, as minor creaks makes it on par with the S500.
  • cacmancacman Posts: 40
    One - I want to let you know how much I appreciate your advice/knowledge of the Lexus. My question is - Having just purchased a 98 LS with 67k miles - what maintenance - other than normal oil changes - would you perform? I noticed that you stated you would not change trans/brake fluid, or anti-freeze etc. - Also, is there any particular type of oil I should be using with the LS - I live in the north, therefore, the car will see winter driving. One more question, when I press my VSC button, nothing lights up on the dash - ie VCS off. Should it light up if I press this button? There are no errors that show up upon start-up of the car. Thanks in advance for your help.
    I'm surprised at the trunk comment because I remember stories about how the trunk was supposedly one of the larger ones (or maybe even the largest) in the group back in 2001. I don't remember the size of the S-class trunk and never looked at any of the others as these were the only two cars I had evaluated back then.
    I was surprised too. The only thing I can add is that the width of the S500 is larger, so bigger luggage can be transferred easier. The BMW trunk is deeper. Overall, I think you are right as to the cubic inches space among the big three.

Or perhaps the JD Powers folks were comparing the LS430 with the American luxos. We all know that the Town Car can even make Tony Soprano happy with its trunk capacity !
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    First, go to a Lexus dealer and find what maintenance has been done, regularly scheduled, etc.

I only use Mobil 1 and I always buy my filters, oil, engine air, at Lexus. Each fall I test the anti-freeze to be sure it's still up to snuff.

I probably change the engine air filter more often than the factory recommends. And that's definitely true of the pollen filter (home depot), 8,000 miles seems typical for it.

I don't have VSC that can be turned off, does anyone? Dealer might be the best source for that question.

The one on my C4 can, but not the RX.
  • My understanding is the LS430 trunk is 20 cubic feet...That is pretty big (I admit I did think it was smaller when I first saw it)

It easily holds two sets of golf clubs with pull carts...What more does an old guy need.
    The towncar is set up as a limo so it needs that huge trunk. But our friend Tony Soprano would use the trunk storage for different purposes of course. I am amazed at how I never get a cadillac limo anymore when I am going to the airport or on those infrequent weekend hotel stays my wife and I sometimes do in Manhattan. I once had an S-class take me home from JFK. Best limo I was ever in. But nothing can displace the charm of the London taxis.
    If you enjoy London, I am sure you will love Hong Kong. The Four Seasons and the Mandarin Oriental are some that has airport pick ups with vintage Rolls.
  • Of course it's so subjective when colors come into play... I'm about to order an LS430. I decided on black based on the brochure color chips. Went to a dealer to see a black one in person. Something just didn't look right. I have always liked silver but those didn't look particularly great either. I went back to a dealer this weekend and figured out the black issue as well as the silver. The black, while imo a gorgeous color (and really not that hard to maintain if you stay on top of it) sort of 'emphasizes' the boxy look of the LS430 (compared to the MBZ S430). The reason the Mercury Metallic silver looked so bland was that (1)the alloy wheels it sported were also gray/silver and so they just 'blended in' with the body color. (2) the car also had been sitting in a back lot and had a thick coat of dust on it. Then I happened to walk by the detailing garage and saw a Mercury Metallic inside. It absolutely sparkled and the color looked gorgeously translucent. What really set off the looks of the car was the wheels. Although they were standard size (no reduced mileage issues), they sported the chrome rims, which contrasted nicely with the body, lending it a luxurious and sporty look. Thats my choice and I am very comfy with it.
  • Has anyone bought a 2004 with XM radio? Was it factory installed or dealer? How much did it cost? (I bought an ES 330 and was told it would be available later) - thx
    Is the mercury metallic really any different than the millenium silver (which I have) on the 2003 and earlier models. If so what is different about it?

Paul - I love London but have never been to Hong Kong. I'll have to get there before too much longer. My favorite hotels to date are the Ritz Carlton in Naples (Fla) and the Peninsula in Beverly Hills. Dining at the Ritz in Naples in the Grand Dining room or the Grill room is a great experience. In the latter I had, quite possibly the finest individual steak I've ever had (Peter Lugers of course is alwasy steak for many). I also love the Palace on Madison near St Patricks when I go into NYC and just about any hotel that overlooks Central park.
  • I wouldn't stake much money on my expertise in colors. While the chips look alike to me, my in-person experience reflected a much deeper 'transluscence' or 'depth' in the Mercury Metallic. Sort of a liquid metallic appearance if you get out of direct sunlight. Thats imo only.
  • When I returned from a business trip, I found the new issue of Car and Driver over the weekend and it had a comparison of the 2004 Lexus LS, Jaguar XJ, Mercedes S430, BMW 745i, VW Phaeton and Audi 8L. The great news is that the LS430 came in 1st place!

The authors noted that the LS just does so many things well that it just overwhelms you. The amazing thing is that the completely redesigned BMW 745i only came in 3rd and the S430 was last place. The Jaguar was 2nd with the Audi and VW ahead of the Mercedes.

Unfortunately, Lexus did not give them a LS430 with the optional Euro-tuned Sport suspension with its 18” wheels and more aggressive rubber or the score would have been even more tilted (a fact noted by the author with a suggestion that buyers go for the Euro Sport suspension). It got some lower scoring in certain performance areas where the optional suspension would make a positive difference.

I will post the link once Car and Driver puts the new issue on their Web site. Obviously, they must hold off a little bit for the new issues of the magazine to be read by subscribers. Of course, each of these trade magazines has their prejudices but in the past Car and Driver has seemed to go out of their way to be hard on the Lexus LS.

Any way, three cheers for the new LS.