Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    But the LS400 was what put Lexus on the map in the luxury car game. Even in 1992, it's third year of existence, it was getting raves. Buy 1992 Lexus had Benz shaking in thier boots. Look at them now. They've gone totally bonkers with twin turbo V12's and stuff.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,683
    Having had an LS400 in 95, another one in 98 and now the 01 LS430. I can say without any doubt the LS430 is not only better than the LS400 (which was a spectacular world-class car in its day and probably one of the best pre-owned cars to buy today) but it is also one of the best cars made altogether. You need 100k+ to beat it and I think you only beat it with what hardcore enthusiasts care about - even at those prices. The RX is a nice vehicle but its ride, luxury and handling pale in comparison to an LS430. I wouldn't hesitate to take an RX330 for a second. It's fabulous. But the class of Lexus is - without question - the LS430 and to a lesser degree the SC430 and LX470 in their niche segments.

gee35coupe - I think it went right to the top in year one.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    You amaze me. You go from well informed statements about a wide variety of Lexus problems and solutions, to a statement like that. Before I say any more, I must say, you are entitled to your opinion. In the opinion that I am entitled to...The comparison hardly makes sense. Well anyway,put me down with those who disagree. Yes...I have owned a 1990 Ls400,and my son now ownes a LS430.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    My 92 LS has the air suspension, Trac, heated seats, etc. The only desireable thing the LS430 has that my 92 is missing is HID headlamps.

Am I missing something?

Yesterday I would have added VSC to the list, but not after today's trip in the RX.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Suppose you had your choice of buying my 92 LS BRAND NEW, say for the base LS430 price, or a new LS430 with air suspension.

What would be your choice?
  • paulchiupaulchiu Posts: 378
    Suppose I had the choice of buying the 55 Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing brand new, say for the base 2004 SL500 price. I WOULD RUN DOWN TO THE DEALERSHIP WITH C A S H !!!!

Otherwise, it's silly to buy ANY car of yesteryear! Unless you have some sentimental feelings; say 1st car after college, high school car with the prom queen, etc. etc.

Any luxury car with a few generations of improvements will be better than the original, in safety, performance, comfort, and noise (except maybe with the Mercedes S class) :-)
  • I have read this forum for over a year and have found that most of us are as bright and successful.This makes us also opininated enough to debate old vs new. I have friends with a 92LS, 93LS,1999LS and I have my first a 04LS. All wonderful cars. None of them are for sell when all could buy new ones. This conversation or debate goes on with all kinds of new vs old. Harleys,Vettes,Porsches even sports teams.I am not sure who can ever claim to win. Although it is fun to read. FYI I have had to reset my low tire twice because temps temps dropped for 55 to 38 twice in the last three weeks on my 18 inch tires and wheels. Only in Chicago ! Not a problem on the older ones HA.
    The handling is tighter, the ride is smoother, the cabin is quieter, the trunk is bigger; then you have more air bags and an overall safer car, more wood and a far more luxurious interior, in dash CD player, better traction with VSC, better leather, HID lights, a nav system that I now find invaluable and then of course you have the mark levinson stereo which is just plain fabulous. The Nakamichi was also great but it's not in the same league as the ML. I'll leave out Lexus Link though. It's far superior to the 95 and 98 cars I had and the price has hardly changed. I do wish they were more flexible with the air and sport suspension options though.
    The engine is more powerful with a lot more torque.
  • Do anyone know what would be a good price for a 2004 LS with UL package? If any owners can tell me what you have paid for, that would be great. I live in New Jersey.
                                         Thanks
  • swiftmswiftm Posts: 68
    LS 04 with UL with all pos. options except XM radio, I paid $63500 for it in soc cal. Thousandoaks lexus is my dealer and delivered the car without a problem, I hope this will help you. swiftm
    for an ultra - Wow. No hope for a deal like that in NY/NJ area unless you were talking about a 2003 or a demo with plenty of miles. Southern Cal must have a huge oversupply of LS430's. In December there was one LS430 (a premium edition - no nav or ML) on ray catena's NJ lot and it was a demo. Catena is a big volume dealer.

Landspeed - even fleetrates is listing the ultras at $66k plus it will cost you a grand to ship it here. I'd bet a $68k price is the best you can do here. But I haven't as yet priced it. When I was in for the GX the salesman told me the ultras and most LS430's are sold before the ship docks.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Consider buying out of state and truck-transporting your LS. Local dealer will still service under warranty and after.
    It would have to be a sensational deal for me to do that plus I'd have to be buying rather than leasing. $1-2k - which after shipping is about the best you could do isn't worth it. On a lease that is only $30 a month.
    Where are you early Friday this week? I am pretty sure I will be driving my baby in for servicing, and a witch hunt for mystery noise.

I am scheduled for 8AM. So, maybe I am done 11-12PM ??
  • I AM WANTING TO PURCHASE A LS400 WITH MOST ALL OPTIONS: I CAN'T MAKE A DEAL HERE IN LAS VEGAS. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A DEALER WITHIN 400 MILES. I DON'T MIND ORDERING.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I am enjoying my '95 LS 400 but am finding the lack of headroom a problem.

Do the 2001 and later cars have more headroom?
    Would love to meet you. I'll give you a tour of the beautiful areas of Monmouth county. Give me a day or so to see what I can do with my schedule as I should have some flexibility. By the way my friends call me Len.
    Sounds great. Email me if your schedule opens up.

Paul
  • I was able to get the car with Modern Lux Pckg, Euro suspension with alloy wheels for a bit less than $3,000 over dealer's invoice at Bob Casiulli Lexus in Little Falls NJ.

I spoke with several dealers in the area and they were the most accommodating for everything, including price. And, in the color and configuration I wanted it had to be ordered. Hope to have it by end of Feb.

Jaime
  • I just noticed that the fog lights turn off while you flash the high beams, and then go back on with the low. Any ideas why they were designed this way? (probably a wwest question).
  • stevestein,

As far as I know, the Federal DOT or NITSA requires all cars sold in the USA to not have any other factory installed lights illuminated when the high-beams are on (including just "flashing" the high-beams).

On a similar matter, since the 2001 model year, Lexus also enables the dealer to deactivate your DRL lights if you do not like them on. The exact codes were posted here a few months ago. I have the post bookmarked if you what the number.

Jim
  • Does anyone with Smart Access know how it works in the following situations?
    1. Will the car lock without pushing any buttons when the Smart Key is carried away from the car? Or must you press the button on the outside door handle?
    2. Can I lock one of my Smart Keys in the car using a second one in my hand when I exit?
    I'll be in touch tommorrow night.
  • zdudezdude Posts: 22
    The car will not lock without pushing the outside button, safety reasons I guess.
    Concerning #2, that is a little tricky. The keys are not duplicates, so to speak. I think there might be a *main* key that if you open the door with that key it becomes the primary. I believe if you lock the door with that key on exit (pushing the button) the second key could probably be left in car. I did this when I first got my car, I left the extra keys in the glove box and I was able to lock my doors (that was a couple of months ago).
  • Can't comment on '95 and 2001.

When I sit in a '97 Coach Edition. My hair touch the headliner. With 2003, I still have <1".
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Thanks. I was thinking the 2001 and up cars had more headroom.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I had a '90 LS400 years ago and have a '01 LS430, and I can tell you that the 430 has a lot more headroom. That's one of the big advantages it has over the 400. Along with that, it is easier to get in and out. There's more of every kind of room in the 430. Before the 430 I had a '95 Mercedes S500. When Mercedes shrank the S500 for the new model, choosing the LS430 was a no-brainer for me. I see now where the next generation S class is going back to the larger size of the previous generation.
  • jamesfletcher2:

How about fog lights and only parking lights on together like BMWs?
  • cheapower,

To the best of my understanding the only limitation the Feds make is when high-beams are engaged no other lights can be activated. Therefore, the fogs with parking lights combination would be up to the manufacturer.

Jim