Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    Hi All,
      An unfortunate incident with the 92 LS (AGAIN!!) A contractor doing some repair work dropped a moulding on the car. The damage was limited to the RF quarter panel, chipping the paint in two (small) places to primer.

This part of the car was repainted about 7 mos ago due to an accident. It seemed like the panel didn't have as many coats of paint on it as the rest of the factory original finish. It sure doesn't seem nearly as durable.

The LS is supposed to have a Total of 4 coats of paint. Do the body shops repaint it in the same fashion? The shop that did the work, does all of the body issues for the local Lexus dealer. The bumper that they also painted seems to chip easily as well. Anyone have any experience with these body shop issues?

Thanks,
    SV
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    And just what will your recourse be if the dealer holds your deposit until 07 and then decides to renege on the deal?

Barrier Motors in Bellevue had my deposit (may of 98) on a year 2000 911 C4 allocated at the factory for me specifically and ordered under my name. Barrier sold it to a higher bidder the day it arrived.

They even denied having my money and said, "so sue me". The deposit refund arrived in the mail a few days later.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Nothing prevents your scenario, but if the car does sell above list for awhile, then once it falls back to MSRP, hopefully the early-deposit customer would be able to get the first LS hybrid from the dealer that goes at MSRP.
  • tdo123tdo123 Posts: 102
    Ok, I admit I read a post a few months back about running down the battery if the trunk is left open. I was caught in it this time and it was a trap that cost me.

I got to work and parked in the garage and popped the trunk just like every morning. This time, when I got out, I remembered that my briefcase was in the backseat and not the trunk. So I grabbed it and walked in the building.

Later, when I came out, my battery was completely dead because when the trunk is cracked, it kept my headlights and interior lights on all day. The car would not even turn over, and then, Lexus link kept coming on asking what is the emergency. Finally, after telling them I am fine, the cars system locked me out of putting the car in Neutral. I needed to back the car up to get the jumper cables in reach of the car. I tried to dis-arm the alarm with the keyfob, but them the battery was totally dead. After an hour, lexus link called again (battery must have found a bit of juice) and they "released" the lockout. Then I was able to get the car in neutral so I could back it out. It was a crazy day. That system should shut down if the battery is draining for more than 20 min. like on other cars.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    You are absolutely right. Lexus' software is definitely below par by American standards. Another example is the window lock switch. It prevents everyone from controlling the windows, even the driver! In American cars, it locks out the passengers (usually the kids), but not the driver.

By the way, what model year is your car? I am wondering if there is any trend of Lexus fixing these problems that have been commented on, here and elsewhere.
  • There are so many items on the LS that can be adjusted by your service Tech...It would be worth while if you asked them if the window lock could exclude the drivers window.

It they say no, I would call Lexus and ask the same question ...Just to be sure...

That does seem dumb...I never lock my windows so I never noticed.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    I prefer it that the driver can only open the driver side window when windows lock is on. There have been a number of times I accidentally tried to open one of the other windows while driving. It's no big deal as the unlock is right next to up/down window switchgear anyway.

Edspider1 - We seem to be enjoying the new cars about equally. Really phenomenal car I must say. Today I had the steering wheel lock on me and had to jiggle it to be able to turn on the smart key switch to start the motor. It has happened to me before on just about every car I owned but when it happens the first time with smartkey it makes you think something is wrong with the smartkey control. You'll get a message that "the ST switch is locked" if this happens. It simply means the steering wheel didn't find its proper lock position when you shut the engine the last time you drove thus jiggle it into position while turning the smartkey switch.
  • edspider1edspider1 Posts: 195
    I've never seen "switch is locked", but sometimes, I do need to turn the wheel a bit to turn the starter. I guess I don't think about it. What I can't figure out is when I dial a call on my cell phone the "conversation" screen pops up. But half the time, my call is still on the phone and half the time - it's hands free. I can't seem to figure out how to force hands free. But then I haven't played with it much.

Everyone comments on the color. Flint Mica is a winner.
    Haven't utilized bluetooth yet. I'll let you know my experience when I do.

smartkey - you'll only see that message if you try to turn the smartkey switch to the far right and keep it in the turned position. If it is unable to move to the start position because the steering wheel is in a locked position then the message shows up. It may have said "unlock ST switch" instead of what I wrote earlier. I forget exactly what it said but the term "ST" is key.

I have also gotten a number of compliments on the black color and on the cars overall looks. People definitely notice the taller tires and the sharpened headlights as the distinguishing features from the prior edition. The flint mica is unique in that it is the first year for the color on the car and hence it is not often seen. When I picked my car there was a mod lux flint mica with ash parked right next to it. Buyer was picking it up the nexr day. The LS was a knockout in both the black and the flint mica to my eyes.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    I'm sure you're all very busy, but if you 2004 owners get a chance, can you take digital snapshots of your new '04's (inside and out) and post them? I'd love to see them. I find the best way to see what these cars REALLY look like without dragging myself to the dealership is to check out ebay (the one's on the lexus website are either too "artsy" or downright horrible (build your own vehicle, etc.) -- but there aren't many '04 for sale on ebay yet as you might guess!

I know its a pain to do but I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see your new babies firsthand in full digital glory! :)
    The trib auto column last weekend was about the LS 430. www.chicagotribune.com. You have register to read it, though. I'd cut and paste the whole thing, but I suspect that's not allowed. Sort of a light humorous review extolling the car's features, but also making light of its price and mileage.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Copying and pasting a copyrighted source is not allowed either by the source or by the Town Hall. ;-)

If you'd like to post a link to the article, that would be welcome - folks can register to read it if they'd like.
  • rockyballrockyball Posts: 22
    Took my 2002 LS430 in for 25k checkup-asked them to perform the Lexus Link message update-boy was I surprised-thought it was going to eliminate the message-but it was replaced with new message saying Lexus Link not activated and if I wanted it activated to press services button!! The new message appears to be longer than the old and more irritating!!
    You should sent that post to Letterman. He'll have the whole country rolling with that one.

Sometimes you just need to leave things well enough alone - I guess. There's gotta be a way of poisoning that woman's voice though. It's nice that the 2004 non-ultra models don't have it anymore.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    You mean there is no way to shut her up? I thought you could at least lower the volume on the thing or mute it or something.
  • chicagoedchicagoed Posts: 69
    I was curious about the report of the window lock switch locking ALL windows including the driver's, so checked my '04 LS. I am happy that Lexus has "fixed" the '04 so that the driver's window is NOT disabled by the window lock switch. Now if they had also "fixed" the seat memory so that it can be memorized or recalled while in motion (like my '01 Cadillac), I would be really happy. I agree with Rennybosch about Lexus' software being inferior. Yes, the dealer can select options, but in other cars, the driver can do it without test equipment.
    It never locked the driver side window - just passenger and rear. It's been the same since 1995 and probably before. I think rennybosch meant that the driver should be able to lower any window regardless of whether the window lock is on or off. But I prefer it as is.

I agree with you on the memory switch. If you change to a better position while driving you have to remember to set it before your spouse or someone drives the car and changes your setting. It's kind of stupid to shift the car to park at a traffic stop to store a the new setting or reset your old one but I've done so. What is really irritating is to pull out of a parking garage after a valet parks your car and changes everything but your seat position. Your tricked into thinking everything is fine until you need the outside mirror when you are in motion. I doubt this is bad software and somehow I see the lawyers at work behind the scenes.
    I rather doubt of anyone would relish being "crushed" forward against the steering wheel at 75MPH having accidently activated the slender 5' trophy wife's memory button.
    Called service advisor concerning new message-he said that under warranty that they would "take out" the Lexus Link and that would eliminate the message (but of course could not activate in the future) or they could turn down the volume so that it would not be as loud. My choice--
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,284
    As far as the bluetooth phone is concerned, which phone did you get? If it's the Nokia 3650, all you need to do is go to the main menu & search for "connectivity". Then go to bluetooth. It will give you options about hands free or not hands free. You need to click "yes" for hands free operation.
    Agree - but maybe if you are in motion it can be set to fix only the mirrors and not the seat position. It's pretty obvious this is not really a Lexus software issue and is tied to legal responsibilities as set by each manufacturer. Ever since that ridiculous hot coffee incident they are all very careful about any "on the fence" issues. Even my hot cocoa packets say use only hot (as in not boiling) water.
  • sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    Rockyball,
       You can lower the volume of the message. Look on near the sunglass compartment, the Volume button next to the Lexus Link Buttons. (Next to the Memo Button) I had the same issue on my LS430 and managed to lower the volume so that message is a tolerable whisper.

Hope this helps,
    SV
  • sstrichsstrich Posts: 2
    I am about to take delivery of 2004 ls 430. How good is the bluetooth? Is the hands-free sound quality/phone reception good? Does it drop calls or encounter a lot of interference? Does anyone think/know if the brand of phone makes a difference? Overall, does this function work as well as advertised? Thanks.
    I'm almost deaf and have never been able to carry on a conversation in friend's built in cell phone cars. But I find the sound quality is outstanding in the LS. Even humming along at 75mph (oops, I mean 55), callers don't known I'm on a speaker phone. In the future I would be hard pressed to buy a car without it. I hope it becomes more common place as it's the best application of bluetooth I've seen. I don't experience better or worse call dropping. I don't think the brand is important - but each brand has different ways to set up and connect. Some are easier than others. I have Sony Ericcson as that's all Sprint supports. I like the phone and SE is big in Europe where Bluetooth is also big.

You will love your LS. I came from an 2001, so I was pretty spoiled when I took my 2004.
  • chicagoedchicagoed Posts: 69
    The way to protect against the "crushed against the steering wheel" scenario that wwest describes is to require that the button be held depressed (rather than a momentary press) to move the seat while in motion. This is what my Cadillac did. Plus it could also be memorized to a new position while in motion.
    the 911/996 works that way too, allows me to have the last memory button position tilt the outside mirrors down about 3 degrees at night.
  • sstrichsstrich Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. Do you also have "smart access." If so, do the two ever interfere with each other. This will be my 3rd LS...have loved each one. Thanks
    Thanks for the tip-it does indeed lower the volume-wonder if that was what the service dept was going to do? I'll see if I can live with this for a while-
  • THANKS! for this tip (of turning the memo volume to the lowest setting)

P.S. ...and if you leave your favorite CD on at an ambient volume level - when you first start up the car you won't even hear the
    "whisper" of the annoying Lexus Link message)
    You just missed a great business opportunity. I'm sure every Lexus buyer would have paid you $10-$20 for the luxury info you just provided. With about 80k or so unit sales in 2001-2003 you could have made a cool million.