Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    with a very cupped set of Michelin run flats. They were totally shot so there is no comparisn. The X-ones are nearly silent running though. I have the 225/60/16's the only problem is the T-rating which means I'll never know what she'll run wide open.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    I had the original OEM Dunlop SP5000s that were causing a vibration despite balancing. Yes, I do find the Michelins quieter and better riding. I drove only 800 miles on the new set though, before putting on a set of Michelin Pilot Alpins for the winter. I can't wait to go back to the MXV4s in the spring.

gee35coupe: I am not sure putting on T-rated tires is a good idea. Even if you do not run over 112 mph, there are a number of other factors, including design parameters for the suspension, not to mention possible legal issues if you burst a tire on the highway. Please be careful!
    supensionwise. They are the right size. i just can't run it up to 150 mph. As long as I know what I am getting myelf into there's no problem. I think I'm probably in more danger having the OEM shocks still on a 120,000 mile LS400.
    There's much more to tires than the size. Speed ratings are based on heat buildup and distortions in the tire carcass during sustained high speed running. The sidewall compliance is also different, as is the flex rate during cornering for different speed ratings, all of which is taken into account by the engineers when designing a suspension. You can check Michelin's website, plus several other manufacturer's sites where they explain why it is important to maintain the original speed rating or better for a car's repaclement tires. If you feel okay ignoring this, by all means!

I would agree with you that the shocks might need some attention by that mileage.

Hey, it's your car and I fully respect your right to put whatever tires you want on it.
  • tisliztisliz Posts: 13
    Found the website with the CBEST settings. Thanks for providing the link.
    I mean the circumference of different brands of the same size can be different. So is the construction of the tires. There are several different wear rating and traction setting of the same size and rating.

So if you want to take it to an extreme you can say don't put any tires on a car other than the OEM model. Or don't upgrade a size or two. What will those folks buying 22" rims say to that?

Just the speed rating will have negligible effect compared to Eibach springs and set of 255/30/20's.
    All I was trying to say was that there are several variables. Please note that what I said applies to UPgrades, that is meeting or EXCEEDING OEM specs, not DOWNgrades with specifications INFERIOR to OEM.

And of course, I continue to fully respect your right to do whatever you want to do!
    upgrading the speed rating does not necessarily indicate a stronger or better tire. A T-rated Michelin I'm sure is a better bet than a Z rated Kumho.
    "A T-rated Michelin I'm sure is a better bet than a Z rated Kumho."

If you think that, fine, so be it. I will not argue.

However, I think I would choose the Z-rated Kumho, everything else being equal or better.
  • My wife wanted a different driving experience, after four years of trouble free rx300 driving
    Her first thought was a bmw 325 convert. While in showroom I checked out 7 model. One thing I liked over ls430(my car) was the auto trunk closer. You press a button on underside of trunk door and it closes. Outside styling is subjective. The inside had a quality feel to it.Next to Mercedes, and 320clk conv. She had a respectful salesman and the car is quiter with a much more padded and thicker top. Mercedes has always had a super conv. top. That is what she got. Mercedes is trying to catch up to Lexus, in the niceness department , and if my observations are right they are doing well. I want to give the rx to my daughter, and because of small children , I asked about disconnecting the front pax airbag. Against the law. I think they should have a switch to de activate bag, but maybe that would cut a new or used car sale . Poor dealer. The speal is to get a car for every need. I at one time had a truck with the switch. Answer is there is no other place for child so that is ok for truck.. I remember hearing about a seat that did not activate a bag un less there was a certain amount of weight. Does anyone remember that? It is sort of frustrating with all the new changes. Tony
  • Does anyone know why the driver side seat belt does not retract ? What is the problem and the correct way to fix it ?
  • I recently got new polarized sunglasses, and to my disappointment find that they block the light from the nav screen. If I turn my head to the left about 45 degrees, I can see the nav fine; if I turn 45 degrees to the right, the nav display looks totally black. Do any of you know if there is something in the nav system that can be changed to solve this problem? Or do I have to get non-polarized sunglasses?
  • When purchasing tires, there are several considerations:
    1. Speed rating (T,H,W) doesn't just apply to the speed limit of the tires, it also indicates the amount of traction, performance and cornering ability. Normally the higher the speed rating the better the traction and performance capibilties.
    2. Different tires in the same size can have different over-all diameters, e.g., both the 16" and 17' OE tires have a diameter of 26.7' with 780 RPM, whereas the Michelin Pilot Sport W has a 27.1" diameter with 764 RPM revoluyions per mile). Thus the speedomter would show a slower speed than the actual (1 1/2%error) and the computer generated MPG would show lower than actual. Just the opposite direction for the Michelin T with a 790 RPM.

My opinion is to not limit the perfomance ability of the Lexus by getting cheap low performance tires.
    Just T-rated. They have separate ratings for traction and load carrying. If anything knowing my tires are T-rated is safer for me since I won't try out the 155 mph top end. Believe me I would.
  • After being assured by the dealer that Lexus no longer offers tan seat belts...only black for my 92 ls400 I called the Corp customer assurance number. Thanks to the board I mentioned the seat belts are supposed to be guaranteed for life. He has promised to talk to the dealer and get back to me. I have mixed thoughts about black seat belts in a tan interior...and one or a pair. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    finclguru
  • Well, maybe I shouldn't have said "cheap." This T tire does have one advantage. With a UTOG of 700 AB, it should have realy long tread wear.

The LS 430 will not top out at 155 mph. It is electronically limited to 131. But that's fast enough for me.
  • I gave up on polarized lenses cause I couldn't see the LCD screen on our LX470. So, last time I got clip ons I deliberately stayed away from polarization and can see the screen just fine. I was told once that polarized lenses were not a smart thing to use because you can't see the glare of ice on the roadway.
    would do 150. I wouldn't know. But if I didn't have these tires on my car I surely believe I would.
  • hello i have recently purchased a ls430 w/ the ultra luxury pacage and it is GREAT!!!! This is a wonderful car.
  • My advice: find the best tire and wheel expert you can in your area. A good one like the legendary Paul Ross at RNJ tires in Pickering ON will work through all the tradeoffs with you, including your own driving style and expectations. Paul put H rated Continental CH95s on my 92 LS400 after he concluded that I would be happy sacrificing some performance for better ride quality and tread life. Fabulous tires, standard on many upscale European sedans and about half the price of comparable Michelins.