Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• eadlueadlu Posts: 13
    The driver's seat comfort has been a problem on the LS (at least for me) on long trips since I purchased the first one in 1990. In my situation it manifests itself in a painful left hip. It was because of this problem that I drove MBs for about 9 years (no hip pain) and then bought a 02 LS about 3 years ago. I too just returned from a 3200 mile trip early this week and again I experienced the hip problem which I overcame by stuffing a hand towel under the left side of my but. I recall talking to a Lexus representative about this problem at the NYC auto show in 1993 and he told me that they were aware of other complaints and a redesign was in the works. The redesign if in fact it took place wins no cigar from me but I will replace my current LS with a new one in the next year or two because I am very satisfied with the car and the very few long trips I take I have found a work around, a five dollar hand towel.
  • HAS ANYONE TRIED TO EXTEND THEIR LEASE FOR ANOTHER 1 OR 2 YEARS ON AN LS 430?
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,675
    Not sure that is a smart move. Most of the time those lease extensions are short duration events (month-month, 6 months at most) to hold you till the next model year. Two years is long-term in leasing and if you wanted to do that on your current car you'd probably pay 80+% of what your current lease is anyway. Why not look for a 24-30 month new LS lease as a holdover? I don't mind having my car for as much as a year after the new one debuts as that will be a hot car when it comes out, particularly in hybrid engine options, with potentially premium pricing. After 6 months to a year it will calm down.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Thanks for the welcome. I can see you are doing your best to keep the board alive. Good job. Glad you are enjoying your '04 LS. I almost pulled the trigger but will happily wait for the '06/'07 judging by quotes from Denny Clements (see post #6347). It is exciting if Lexus will go after BMW and remove the mystique of BMW's driving, handling and performance machines.... Won't that be just like Lexus to take on another German brand after putting significant hurt into MB in the North American market ?

I say, let the battle begin --- circa MY 2006 !
    Toyota is so incredibly capitalized and profitable it can do whatever it wants. I think you'll see improved handling and sportiness in all the Lexus cars and more powerful engines via the hybrids rather than wasteful V-12's. The latter will become increasing unpopular over time and will be viewed as outdated in a few years. The spike in oil prices will exacerbate this and over time it will be almost embarassing to own such cars particularly because there is a new and improved way to get that power. Prestige and success demands new technology anyway. Just my opinion but I don't think they will mess too much with handling on the LS and ES as both cars dominate their segments. They'll get the hybrid treatment, tighter handling and have sport suspension options more readily available. If that market goes toward sport (which I doubt) than they will be ready for it. If not they haven't messed with their success. Now with the IS, GS and an SC variant at some point (likely that Toyota supercar) they will hunt BMW. Toyota does heavy market research and I'll bet a lot of money that their research shows BMW vulnerability with those terrible re-designs. Hence the new IS and GS will give it a big shot. Put some hurt into the 3 and 5 series and BMW has a boatload of problems. They are small in size, need a decade to earn what Toyota earns in less than a year and are heavily dependent on both model lines. Infiniti and Acura have some great cars coming there as well but both are far down the stature ladder from Lexus and will only do minor damage. Nevertheless the Japanese luxury segment is now entering the performance arena. They haven't failed at anything yet and they won't fail here either. Anyone who thinks the Germans come out of this untouched or unhurt is really in fantasy land.

Glad your back.
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    I have found on long trips that for me the seat works best raised in the front all the way, lowered in back all the way, and the seat almost as short as it will go...I start out and slowly aim in the direction and am there in an hour or two...It seems to shift the pressure point ..If I don`t do this it becomes almost agony in three or four hours. I also think the seats are too firm as Mercedes is...The old American boats were very comfy, and I would not regret a return to plush comfort..

WWEST the Bridgestone tires are doing fine..I noticed they have a flat spot when you start out, but it goes away quickly..Anything I shoul do? Or is this ok. ? Tony
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 333
    Agree with your setting of the driver's seat on long drives. I do much the same except I don't shorten up the seat much.
    I do much the same as you except I lengthen the seat extender out to the crease behind my knees. I find the seat very comfortable for long or short drives.
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 333
    Lexus has updated their web site to the 2005 LS430. MSRP $56300... They show 17" wheels standard with the Sport Option having 18" wheels like in 2004. Could not find any changes from 2004, many have said that 18" wheels would be standard? Take a look.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I recently had the padding in the bottom driver's seat cushion replaced under warranty on my '01 LS430. The seat was beginning to feel too hard. My wife noticed it, too. It is better now, but still a little firmer than I would prefer. I checked out the seat in an '04, and it seemed about the same as my '01. I don't know who figured out that luxury car seats should be firm (Mercedes, maybe?), but this issue needs to be revisited by most luxury car makers. I have rented a variety of cheaper cars recently like Taurus, Impala, and Century, and I find their seats to be fine. The firmness of my daughter's new Camry's seats is perfect. I drove my brother's new CL600 last weekend and thought that it's seats were too firm, like most Mercedes seats. BMW seats are too firm, too. What good are all these 12-way or 16-way adjustable seats if the bottom cushion is too hard? The most comfortable driver's seat I've experienced recently: 1999 RX300.
  • Perhaps these luxury cars with both heating and cooling functions can't have conventional padding in the driver's seat. Maybe the stiffness you're feeling is due to the limited cushioning that's used in order to get functional performance from these amenities.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    My car doesn't have cooled seats. It does have heated seats, though. I suppose that could be a factor...I never thought of that.
  • So the consensus seems to be that indeed the LS seats are too hard. Possibly the heating/cooling is part of the culprit, although I believe there are air-transparent cushioning materials that they could use. It seems to be a cultural thing: They (the manufacturers) acually believe that we the luxury-buying public prefer harder seats.

I also set the seat front to maximum height and back to minimum. In fact I asked my dealer if it is possible to adjust the limit stops so as to make the front go higher still. She said there is no adjustment for that.

Lexus, if you are reading this, please make seats more comfortable. Thank you.
  • mfprmfpr Posts: 41
    I bought my '04 LS at the end of July and recently took a trip where I drove 9 hours, only stopping for gas & food. I found the seats extremely comfortable and could have driven for longer period. Prior to my LS, I had a Jaguar S-Type which had rock hard seats with limited adjustments. For me, my LS has the most comfortable seats I have had in a car. The LS is one fantastic car.

Mike
    I'm not in the consensus and have always found these seats very comfortable. The european cars have rock hard seats and Lexus has actually been criticized in some circles as having seats that were too soft.
  • Len -
    Sorry it took so long to reply. While 18" wheels are "available" outside the sport package the allocations from the factory are coming in with 17" and all seasons (what I wanted anyway). The demo had 17's as well. Mostly pros for the differences in the 01 to 05, but I'll miss the two glove compartments, and I liked the red sticks on the guages more than the white. I'm amazed how much more they can put into the car for only around 1.3K more MSRP and even less in real $ given exchange differences. Steerable headlights, rear color camera, park assist, rear shade, cooled seats & perf leather, smart key, and the rear seat mirrors that I'm sure our dog (the only rear seat passenger) will learn to enjoy once my wife teaches her about lipstick. BTW - I just learned that you can leave the fog lights switch on and they'll work with the daylight sensors and come on with the headlights. I asked about this because I'd seen quite a few LS with both sets on recently and thought it was a new 2004/5 default setting from Lexus. Only took over three years to learn how the lights work.
    On the SC, my wife loves her "baby Lexus". It's put Sunday drives back in our vocabulary. We just got back from a jaunt to Princeton on the back roads. Days like today are perfect for the car. That said, I wouldn't want it for my daily driver as I prefer the smooth luxury of the LS (or other quality sedan)to a sportscar. I must say the complements we get on the SC just keep coming. Everyone looks at it, and many people comment. We have the midnight pine and saddle and we really like the combo.
    They had a 2005 Palm Beach SC on the floor at RC when I signed the paperwork on the LS. Can't say I really cared for it. I thought the wheel covers were too busy with the outer half chromed and the inner part dark, and the red seats might have been OK if the carpeting wasn't a washed out version of the same color. Maybe a black carpet to match the wood might have saved it. As my salesman said, "If it was hot it wouldn't still be here now."
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    "Perhaps these luxury cars with both heating and cooling functions can't have conventional padding in the driver's seat. Maybe the stiffness you're feeling is due to the limited cushioning that's used in order to get functional performance from these amenities."

Naw, my Lincoln seats are heated & cooled (something, by the way, I'll never go without again), and the seats are soft & comfy. I have the left hip problem too, but not in my Lincoln, ever. I can drive it all day and feel good as gold. So, it's not the equipment, it's by design.
  • Keep your wallet in that pocket by any chance?
  • I forgot that the Lexus Link has been dropped. That was 1K they had to play with in pricing, so I guess an apples to apples difference is plus 2.3K, still amazing! I'd take the smart key and Lexus link as a push. Given the choice I probably would not have paid 1K for either, and only got them because of their standard configurations of option packaging. I would have easily paid much more for the camera, park assist and cooled seats.
  • eadlueadlu Posts: 13
    No. My wallet goes in the center bin when I am driving long distances in a LS because leaving it in my left back pocket just exacerbates the left hip problem. The seats in my opinion are not too firm they just are not formed properly. As I pointed out in my prior post I never had the hip problem with any MB that I have owned (and the seats in the MB are a tad more firm than the LS). I also repeat what I said in my last post, I am comfortable driving the LS for long distances when I stuff a small towel under the left cheek of my butt.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I think that's an insane workaround though in a car that costs that much. Maybe in a rental...that would be acceptable. #1 when I choose a car, is how does it "fit" my large, American [non-permissible content removed].
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,271
    Maybe this news was already posted by someone else, but I don't think so. About a week ago I received a letter from the Vice President of Lexus Customer Service Group. In short, the letter was apologizing for any incovenience caused by the fact that the transmission & fuel pump had to be replaced on my 2004 LS430. But the thing that astounded me was that along with the letter of apology, Lexus included 2 $100 BP-Amaco cards to use in purchasing gas, food, etc. I am sure that all of you that had the transmission & fuel pump replaced will get this gift as well. This is another example of why Lexus is NUMBER 1 with me. By the way, I didn't think it was an inconvenience at all. My dealer picked up my car at work early in the morning and delivered it back by 1:00 PM just as they promised. I did not need a loaner, but they would have gladly given me one.
  • Thank you for responding. Your solution is a good one, I guess I am attached to my 2001 LS 430 Ultra and am waiting for the AWD model [2006]. My LS has served me well, though I have some minor complaints [mostly on the dealer end]. I am leery of the 2004 model because of the transmission and fuel pump problems and it appears that 2004 has been an aberrant year for the LS 430.However on my next service visit to lexus I will discuss your option. Again, thank you for your response.
    Best of luck. Don't hesitate on a late model 2004 or a 2005 for that matter as the updated LS is just plain fabulous. You'll love the keyless system and the ride, handling and supreme luxury appointments of the car are better then ever.

Steve - thanks for the detailed response.
  • I noticed you have a 2001 ls 430. I am considering buying one from my brother in-law and had a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. What is the recommneded oil change intervals?
    2. How does it handle in the snow?
    3. Do you know where I could get a manual?
    4. Do you use 93 octane?
    5. Did you add the 7/70K warranty and if so what did they charge you?

Thanks
  • wbwynnwbwynn Posts: 246
    Other than auto locking functions, are there other CBEST adjustments that have proven useful? I am going in for the 1000 miler tomorrow. Thanks
  • aggie76aggie76 Posts: 265
    I changed the trunk opening to just one button push and the door unlock to open all four doors at once with a button push for me.

There is a complete listing of the functions somewhere here on this board I believe or I know it's on the other Lexus board if you want to search for them.
  • LS 430 is a great car with a magnificent smooth ride and great torque. It is also a very safe vehicle. I have 45,000 miles on mine and it rides as if it were new.

1- 7500 miles
    2 -terrible
    3- there are on line sites for manuals or buy Hemmings which has manual sellers, or even try Lexus.
    4- yes
    5- no
  • I also received the $200 BP credit. They certinally know how to do it right!
  • apparently some jerk, smashed in my front passenger window last night, by the looks of it, most likely with a baseball bat. it was a mess inside, glass everywhere stuck between everything. my cup holder wont work cause glass is stuck inside. i got a police report but id rather deal with this myself than going through insurance. i got 2 estimates. one from a lexus dealer, and from some third party auto shop.
    the dealer, for the window, tinting of the window, and replace the black side panel on the door(which was also bent in) = $850
    the other shop i went for same stuff: $750 for lexus glass, $650 for generic glass.
    i went for the $650. he told me it would be virtually impossible to tell the difference, there just wouldnt be a lexus sticker. will i notice any difference, noise,anything between the two? the panel will be coming from lexus. also would the alarm have sounded? this happened in a rather crowded parking lot. also what can i do to rid the interior of the glass, not the big pieces the little crystal sized specs that are everywhere? thanks for any help