Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• feverhartfeverhart Posts: 144
    I can only give you my experience. I owned a 1990 LS 400 for 11 years before buying the LS 430. I had no problems for the 130,000 miles. I replaced the timing belt at 120,000,whether it needed it or not. After the warranty period I only had it serviced every 30,000 miles. I did change the o & f every 7500 miles (Mobile one)myself. Still had the original rear brake pads and muffler & tail pipe when I sold it.

Would I buy any other car than a Lexus? Not with that experience.
  • ideal2ideal2 Posts: 1
    I took delivery 2 months ago of my LS 430(Black,Ecru,Chromewheels,17" summer tires)and after owning just about every Luxury including
    a 1997 E430, put a fork in me I am done!
    LS 430 is the best at any money.
  • robh3robh3 Posts: 157
    Lexus RX300 is the home run that edged Lexus past MB in total sales. Also, the new IS helped as well. The RX was Lexus' top selling vehicle of all of its models. I haven't looked in a while, but through September 2000 the sales numbers for its CARS where actually low.

Leave it to America's ridiculous love affair with trucks (and truck-like vehicles) to have made the difference here for Lexus. Anyone who has taken a good look at the Mercedes ML will probably agree with me that it is a piece of crap. I can't believe myself how low-grade the interior materials they use on it are. Just like the Lincoln Navigator sales fueled Lincoln's total vehicle sales past Cadillac last year for the first time in many decades, we'll probably see Caddy come screaming back with it's new '02 Escalade hitting the streets any day now.
    It's all about trucks now.
  • tomkuntomkun Posts: 10
    I got my LS430(blue/ecru, nav/ml) last week, i found the ride is lot firmer than LS400, i think about to get 16" wheel/tire, 225/60/16, same as LS400's, instead of 225/55/17 in LS430, but i dont want lose too much handling, any suggestions?
    thanks!
  • Edmunds.com shows a price REDUCTION effective February 2001.

Is the luxury car market softening with the economy?

Hmmm...I smell some better deals on the horizon.

Jim
  • Has anyone succeeded in playing a DVD movie in his LS430? I have heard it is supposed to work if the car is in Park. My salesman said he had seen it done in an LX470 by loading in into the dash slot. Thanks for any advice. Mine just says, "CD Check", indicating a bad CD.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Posts: 246
    Not much of a change in the TMV from Edmunds, but it's going south....$2000 off from large dealers if you buy via the net. This is a very slow economy... close to recession. Just look at the Daimler Chrysler situation.
  • does any one know when custom lux pkg will be available and at what cost thank you.antlers1
  • Last time I checked, Lexus had dropped it from their website.
    No dealers have been able to give a date, but an earlier post said the MSRP would be about $62,000. Lexus brochure says Spring 2001...
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Posts: 266
    Nice car. Why didn't Lexus copy the styling of the current MB instead of the last generation MB. The profile looks like the old MB...geez it looks like a tank! What a dissapointment in looks. Lexus could have done better. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very nice automobile.
    How many former BMW, MBZ, whatever, will make the same choice. I will join you soon; this is not rocket science....the LS430 is a better vehicle that the Germans currently offer. It's anyone's guess if they will make the ground up anytime soon.

And, all this fuss about the LS exterior; I think it grows on you....and who cares anyway. Enjoy your ride!!
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    As I noted to you on MB board i'm now in market for another car. Here's a couple of deals I worked with my dealer on phone. First two are 39 month deals (0 down etc.; 6% sales tax - but 20k miles per year); GS430 - $799 (I didn't get residual)and LS430 - base car with Premium package (no nav or levinson) plus Lexus link and sundry items like mats etc. $999 with residual of 53% of list ($57,890) and 56% of actual price. Because I bought car so recently and have been customer since 95 my dealer is willing to give me $2,500 off list and swears they have done this for no one. They only have a few cars like this equipped, mostly white but one that is that midnight pine. I saw one parked and thought it was black until I looked closer recently and thought the car looked great in that color. I told him to hold it for me. Another deal I got was from MB (my Lexus dealer also owns a MB dealership) on E-320 for $825 per month (it wasn't even the 4-matic). For $175 per month more I wasted all of about one second on this one and cut him off before he even gave me the residual. By the way my LS430 is millenium silver with ecru. Great color and the ecru interior is so cheerful. Have youever seen the car in black cherry or parchment - I think I've seen every other color except Blue but I'm not a fan of blue in car colors. Can you believe that guy who just bought the S-430 already has a problem with his dashboard? This will never happen with Lexus. The S-430 pales in comparison to the LS430; the S-500 gives it a good fight but to me it still falls short. If you go with S-class take the latter - I had ruled out the S-430 and though I could easily afford the S-500 I could'nt justify the price. Now that I need another car I'm glad I saved the $300 per month. Good luck and let me know what you do. By the way I'm also 48.
    Great to know you are 48 too....
    re: GS430...my impression that it was a rocketship with superb handling...since you have the LS already, I would buy this one for sure. I need more room than the GS has, but what great fun to drive.

I won't go back to S-Class board anymore...mostly a bunch of snobs who realize they made a mistake, but can't stand to hear anymore about the many virtues of the LS430...can you believe someone who just purchased an $80m+ MBZ car has a dash that makes porpcorn crackling sounds...? Seriously, the older MBZ were great vehicles, but the new ones just leave so much to be desired.

My only experience with Japanese luxury cars was a Q45 10 years ago...it was OK but nothing special. I do some pretty serious homework on cars, and I am going to buy an LS430. I specifically want silver with charcoal interior(I've had too many black cars)...NAV, Lev, but no UL. I have asked dealers to take me out of a lease that has about $3000 in payments left (June Exp). I will then pay MSRP, so I know I'm asking for a $3000 discount. Since my firm has bought a few vehicles from Lexus and can buy many more, I want them to do something for me.

Bottomline, I would like to make the deal tomorrow, if I can find a good experienced Lexus salesman who knows the value of making the right kind of sale... I am a real advocate for the LS430 and will send them more buyers.

Anyway, I've gone on too long....thanks for all your insight and info...it's of great value to me and the LS board.

Bill
  • I do believe the LS is on the same level as the MB. Lexus may even be a better car overall for the money, but if you were to purchase a 2001 MB and Lexus today, and 10 years from now, the MB in mint condition, would still be a MB (classic) and the Lexus will be a 10 year old Japanese automobile in mint condition... and that's it. It will take years or decades for Lexus to aquire the heritage MB has earned. I'm not saying MB is better, it's just the name Mercedes Benz, will make you think....Money to burn, and I don't care if it's in the shop more than the Lexus, because in a pinch, I'll drive my other German auto, the BMW. The person who purchases the MB over Lexus doesn't care if the latter is a better car, it's all in the name.
  • flint350flint350 Posts: 250
    I just bought a Black Cherry, ultra, ecru and it is gorgeous. The color changes intensity and hue in different sunlight. It draws lots of attention. I have seen the parchment, but didn't like it as much (I like darker colors).
    I, too, was reading the MB-S board, and find it interesting to see all the complaints, yet steadfast loyalty. I have been reading both for some time in hopes of making an informed decision between the S and LS (obviously, I chose LS) and find it curious that they don't exactly welcome non-MB thought over there and, in fact, suggest all of us non-believers go elsewhere. I guess they want to be alone to enjoy the various clicks, pops and rattles of their cars while proclaiming "name" is everything. I only intended to take part in a "discussion", not expecting to be chased for not playing to the party line.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Ok guys - tell me if it's me or if you see this connection. I just came back from lunch at Giambelli's on 50th street just off Park Ave.(great restaurant if you ever come into New York)and as I'm walking past the Waldorf I see 4 black chauferred limos parked. Two were LS430's, one was an old style S-500 and the other a new S-500. I was drawn much more to the stately looks of the old S and the LS430 than I was to the new S-Class. They do look similar except I actually prefer the LS' more aerodynamic design. As you said wbwynn the LS style grows on you.The new S has what I thought was a very different look - one that I like - but one that is sporty rather than elegant. Then a Ford Taurus pulled up to the traffic light and for the first time I made a style connection between it and the new S-Class. Does the new S-Class look like a super elegant Taurus to you guys? Flint 350 - you started this off between wbwynn and me - glad your in the group. Did you guys see the LS in midnight pine? What do you think of that color? I swore i'd never get another dark car - I had black LS 400 previously - but I thought the car looked great in that color.
  • My stock portfolio is starting to come back around; about time to buy.

Is the Ultra Lux otption available with any other than the bordeaux maplewood or the ecru?

What discounts is everypone getting now?

I was only able to negotiate $1,500 last November; I think I can do better now.
    I have seen the LS in midnight pine...like the black cherry, it is a deep dark color that changes with the light angles. Both of these colors are a nice change from black; the paint job from Lexus is just superb.

I'd like to meet the owners of the chauffer-driven LS's...obviously smart people.
  • flint350flint350 Posts: 250
    I've seen the Pine also. It is very, very dark. It looks nearly black unless you get really close in good, strong sunlight. It's very elegant, but very dark. While I like dark colors (my black cherry is deep, but not that dark) the Pine is almost too dark. It's a close call for me, but I do like it.