Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Nice looking car, great looking child. :)
  • flint350flint350 Posts: 250
    jbianco, not sure of the rules here on this but I obtained my update from lexus-parts.com (Sewell) for $288. Installing it yourself takes all of about 5 minutes. The update is nice, has some road and map icon changes from my ver. 2000 which came with my 2001. Plus the claimed 5 million POI's. (I'll be a while checking that out). Let me know if you need more info or on how to install (very easy - do not pay some dealer $150 to do this). Hope this helps.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    I'll start shopping the LS in the January/February time frame so we may be on the same schedule again. I don't need three cars anymore so I'm likely not going to need the car until April. I'll need the LX in January as I only took a 30 month deal before. I'm not sure what version LS I'm going to go for. I may go the full ultra route or I may stop at the sport suspension version. But I'm not going anywhere else. The car and the experience are too good for that.

By the way LexusUS.com sounded like really good people to deal with.

Flint350 - What do you typically drive the ultra in. Sport or lux ride and do you notice any material differences between them. If you were doing it again today would you go the ultra route?
  • feverhartfeverhart Posts: 144
    Thanks for the update on the NAV for the "o1 LS430. I'd appreciate your installation instructions, just in case...
  • flint350flint350 Posts: 250
    ljflx - almost always in "normal", not sport mode. I use the sport occasionally, but i really can't say i see much diff - just a little bit. If I were doing it again I'd do the same - ultra - unless the custom lux was available. At the time we ordered the custom wasn't an option. I'd not mind losing the rear a/c and controls, seat massagers (prefer in front with me).

feverhart - install is nothing more than removing carpet in trunk (just roll it to the left side), take off the obvious cover on right side of trunk to expose the unit. Remove the two side screws and tilt the machine up, exposing the front insert slot. Have the car powered up, slide the left little slot cover open (just left of DVD slot)to expose the eject button. Push that and exchange the DVD's. Be sure car is powered (doesn't need to be running, just key in the accessory position) for the exchange - the update will begin automatically and display on then nav screen. Once complete, just tilt unit back down and resecure screws and cover. Your version should now show 3.1 versus our old 2000 1.0

There are some small changes to map icons and displays, but the voice sounds the same to me (thought someone said the voice had changed). I don't know the cutoff date of the database, but I was disappointed in some of the POI's I looked for that still weren't there - restaurants that have been in existence about a year or so. But others are there. Overall, seems ok, if still expensive. I also have a Garmin Street Pilot III that I use in my other vehicles - they are offering an update to that system and want $150 for one CD (not DVD)and it is for full country.
    But you don't get the air suspension with the custom lux package. It is only on the ultra. Given that would you still pick the air suspension and ultra over the custom lux? Or would you pass up the air suspension?

I'd tend to opt for the custom lux if they let you take the sport suspension with it.

Paul - how do you like the air suspension on the LS? By the way I side with Mrs. Chiu. I can't go black on black again. That's what I had in 1998 on my LS400 and I got tired of it. I would have also taken the brilliant silver in 2001 if I had taken an S-class so I like your ex-car.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Posts: 378
    The air suspension on my Ultra LS is very buttery, and that gliding sensation is even more noticeable on good roads than my S500. On average New York city roads (meaning bad to potholes hell), the ride is about the same as on the S500. It is FAR better than the BMW 7 series on bad roads.

I think the air suspension is better than the regular version on bad roads, but very hard to perceive on good roads.
    Leonard,

I will finally take that 1st 400+ miles trip on my LS this Saturday to the Poconos. I vividly remember all my drives there in my S500.

I am not waiting this time for 90-100% "colors" and will see if 50-70% colors is better.

I also hope that the annoying door noise does not sneak out during the trip.

Now planning for the CD's to use is the hard part!

Do you have any favorite routes or restaurants there?
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    I'm not one to take folliage trips, but you could also try the Berkshires (western Mass.) some year if you've never been.
    What's good to visit there? Sounds like a great idea. As the weather seems even more promising there.

68 and sunny this Saturday there....

An even longer trip too!
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    I went there once years ago in the summertime, and visited Tanglewood (outdoors, classical music concerts) and Jacob's Pillow (modern dance place)...the latter may well be summer only. Try http://www.massvisit.net/ or http://www.westernmassvisit.net/ as a start (found them on google, haven't checked them out).
  • feverhartfeverhart Posts: 144
    Thanks, Flint, for the info on the Nav update. I agree that the update is still too expensive. The updates for Travroute CoPilot Nav is $99. It's an excellent voice (male or female) actuated unit. I'm using the Pocket PC version with the GPS intergated through bluetooth on the Ipaq 2210 in my Suburban. Works great.
    Though not offered directly, and it is unlikely you'll ever see it on a Lexus car lot, I have been told that you can make a custom order for the custom lux package in combination with the euro suspension and the 18" wheels.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Posts: 246
    Got a letter from lexus on this. What does this amount to?
  • As it turns out, Lexus delivers different models to each region of the country per prior sales in that region. The west coast apparently sells more Ultra models than Custom models and therefore very few Custom models are delivered to the west coast. On the other hand, the east coast sells more Custom models than Ultra models. Therefore, more Custom models are delivered to the east coast. The Custom models are currently available on the east coast and very few if any are available on the west coast. In order to have a Custom model delivered to the west coast (Arizona) the transportation cost is somewhere between $1500 and $4000 depending on the deal that can be negotiated between regional managers.
    Lionel Ritchie's greatest hits (double set) sounds fantastic on the ML. I'm also a big Bryan Adams fan and his music also is a must for me on long trips. The Righteous Brothers Unchained Melody remains my favorite song of all time so I always have their best hits cd on hand. I also can't be without Steve Perry and Journey and I love Paul Mcartney's live CD, particularly Hey Jude which remains my #2 alltime favorite.

By the way did you see Paul Mcartney in Red aquare on A&E. It was fantastic.
  • zdudezdude Posts: 22
    liflx, I asked my dealer about ordering a Custom with Sport Package and he said it couldn't be done. Where did you hear a LS430 could be ordered like that? I would appreciate any info since that is exactly how I want to order my car.
    Contact Lexus US.com - that is who told me. You can get their phone info and e-mail data on the website. If you have a problem let me know and I'll pass on an e-mail contact there to you.
    Missed Paul, my hero. Such a good looking man in his 60's. With his new honey, the baby's got to be a doll!

I love Separate Ways, and you give me the idea to try the Journey Greatest Hits on the ML.

Oh, I forgot to say yesterday that the Stereo in the LS is FAR better than the S500 Bose. NO comparison there. At LOUD levels, the cheapo materials in the cabin of the S500 actually starts to resonate while the LS sucks up the highs like an anarchic chamber. Sure, others like a live sound stage. I don't. I want an accurate one.
    In the past they have been anything from a gift from a catalogue that they send you to $1,000 off your next purchase or lease.