Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• Famwald:

My dealer will give you a loaner but if you would rather they will also have someone drive you to where you want to go.

I would also suggest that after the car is purchased ...It is the service dept that you are dealing with...I would only call the saleman if I had a problem with Service Like NO LOANER..

The Lexus USA number is very helpfull...calling them works...they always call the dealer just after you talk to them.
  • pisciottapisciotta Posts: 54
    I live in nyc and when I brought my new infinity from kings infinity my dealer never mentioned the survey which I was surprised but when I received my survey from infinity the survey asked if anyone from kings infinity asked me about this survey and if they asked me to give them high grades!! but besides all that the dealer was great!
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    "....they fixed my radio station that kept skipping (traffic button on for those that had similar problems), lighter needs a new switch which they have to order meaning i have to go back and they replaced the battery which was low.."

Lexus Customer Service should cover these for your "pains" even though you may be out of warranty. I have had a similar situation which Lexus CS covered for a defective mirror that did not tilt down when car is in "R". There was a TSB on this for the '98 LS, mine is a '99, but I convinced them to cover the cost for mine as well. Cost was $400 + labor.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Posts: 124
    I agree, give them 5 stars at sales time. If they aren't competent then get another sales person.

I've been dealing with a Lexus salesman for some time (haven't bought yet) who in my opinion has been outstanding as far as his sales job, reliability and follow through. But the sales manager has been far too tight with discounts as the local dealership is the only game around. I'd be willing to give them a thousand to keep from driving a hundred miles, but not the 2 or 3 thousand that I think I can save.

Being overly critical of the sales experience will gain you nothing. There may come a time during the service life of the car when you will need some "political capital" to expend with dealership management.
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 333
    Guess I have a different view of the dealer's communicating with me on the surveys sent from Lexus Headquarters (checking on dealer performance). The Survey is almost always preceded by a letter from the dealer stating that they hope my visit was 100% satisfactory and deserving of the highest possible rating. Should I have any concern or problem that was not handled to my satisfaction, please contact the dealer (service manager, sales manager, owner manager) to resolve my concern or problem. I have always done that. In one case the dealer contacted Lexus Headquarters and got approval to replace a tire that was punctured in the sidewall and could not be fixed properly and was not covered under the car or the tire warranty. This is just an example of the dealer taking that extra step for the customer. Also, the Salesman (now retired) indicated that I should call him anytime I required anything, including servicing. The salesman gave me the impression that he wanted to serve as the "point of contact" for my dealings with the dealer. Needless to say, when I was ready to trade again, I looked up the same salesman.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Happens all the time! How else do you think they achieve and maintain this status? If you can't give them all truly outstanding ratings, they don't want you to mail it in, therefore, the preponderance of surveys go in with top ratings, giving them their elite status. And, BTW, it's not just Lexus dealers who do this trick. I'm amazed at how the companies are not wise to how many dealers do this.
  • Hello and thanks to all for the great info. found here. In the market for 05 LS430 in Philadelphia Pa area and have a couple of questions.

1. Does lexus/toyata ever come up with any financing better than bank credit union or am I wishing on a star (could get 4.75% from my c.u. any day of the week) My time frame to buy is next 60 days.

2. Leaning towards Silver/Black or Black/Tan in Modern. Would like to see a Flint Mica / Saddle in the flesh. Is this an unlikely combo? Any thoughts on color combo's would be appreciated. Is there a real "white" in this year?

3. Are there any "loyalty" programs. I bought an "01 LX470. (Best machine I ever bought!)

Thanks for any help.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Posts: 202
    I cannot speak to the financing as I just leased my 05 LS430.

My silver/black with modern package is awesome. I do covet that saddle interior color though. There is a real white LS430 with saddle interior (but has comfort package) about 1.5 hours from philly in PA.

We purchased an RX330 last year and got no loyalty discount.

Good hunting and welcome to the forum!
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    Loyalty program has been dead for awhile and was replaced with choosing a gift from a catalogue. It may come back in 2006 - just a wild guess - as that will be the last year of the current model.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    Okay, I feel like I'm nit-picking at this otherwise PERFECT car.. BUT.... Over the weekend I committed what the builders of this car must feel is a HORRIBLE faux-pas... I LET THE WASHER FLUID GET TOO LOW!!!!!! OH NO!!!!!

First I get the dreaded red exclamation point in the speedo with a "DING!!" and "low washer fluid" in the message center. Then EVERY MINUTE THEREAFTER my wonderful, hushed, luxurious ride would be interrupted with a loud "DING!!" to remind me that the washer fluid was low. I traveled over 60 miles with the minute-by-minute "DING" coming on. I almost felt like driving to a store to get washer fluid to shut the darn thing up.

I know, I know... I am REALLY being picky here. This car has by far been the best I have ever owned. I just think the manufacturers have gone overboard in trying to warn the driver that "DING!!" the washer fluid is low.

Remind me once -- great, but EVERY MINUTE while I'm driving?!?!?!?

Sheesh!
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    Didn't you just go through something like this about a week ago? If you reset the reminder (per page 95 in the manual), won't this DING stop as well?
    Now, that MUST be more annoying than the click from the analog clock every minute in the Navigator, eh, gteach?

Good to hear from you old buddy!! NV
    Hi nvbanker, garyh1.....

Yes, I went through a similar "ding" experience with a "main't required" message. That ding however, only occurred once at car start-up but the red exclamation mark stayed put. Thanks to some advice from this board I was able to reset it. The washer fluid "ding!" comes on EVERY 60 seconds! Yikes.

The fact that this car is so smooth and quiet only serves to make the "dings!" even more obtrusive and startling.

I'm not sure If I can reset the washer fluid message but I'll sure give it a try next time -- even if I have to pull over and do it.

The message center on this car is proving to be quite pushy! I guess I can just turn up the Levinson sound system to drown out the "dings!"
  • Guys:

Doesn't the washer fluid ding go off when you fill up the container?

If the ding stays on ....Can't you just call Lexus service and ask how to turn it off. What do they say when you do call them...

I would make my second call to Lexus USA...
    ...after you fill up the container. I just happened to be on a 60 mile trip when the dinging started. 60 miles with a "Ding!" every 60 seconds.

I was all dinged out by the time I got to my destination!
  • It would have driven me crazy...you are a lot tougher then I am.
    Yes, that would make me dingy!!!!!
  • topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    This was reported on another board and I myself have experienced it. Where in my BMW after a turn I could "glide" around and then accelerate, in the LS it feels like it breaks a bit and then I have to give it some gas. Anyone experience the same sensation? Is it inherent in the "drive by wire" which I hear mentioned?
  • I always thought it was recommended to slow down going into the turn then accelerate through through it? At least that is what I did in my youth.
  • chicagoedchicagoed Posts: 69
    How are you people with the chrome wheel option doing on longevity? Mine have a deteriorated finish after 14 months - microscopic pits that will not polish out.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Posts: 202
    My driving instructor at high school taught us to brake for the first third of a turn, glide/coast for the middle third and finally accelerate for the last third of a turn for the smoothest drive.

A very limited look at some of the racing cornering literature, I see many brake for the first one half of a turn and then accelerate out of the last half of a turn.

This is what I understand currently.

I believe the transmission on the LS430 (and most other automatics) tends to upshift whenever the accelerator is not depressed for better gas mileage. Holding a lower gear may be inherent in a BM or certainly when the ECT control is switched to sport on the LS.
  • ckennedyckennedy Posts: 82
    In short the dealer holds to the point that the car was not purchased their so we would not be entilted to one. We would get one only after we have had the car serviced a few times. Headquarters apologized but there is nothing they can do as they have no control over the dealerships. Seems like the dealer is looking at it from a money perspective and not from a service perspective.
  • ron36330ron36330 Posts: 69
    I have an 03 LS 430 Ultra with chrome wheels and they are blemish free. Look as good as the day I bought the car(Jan03). If the car is still in warranty I would check with dealer and have the defective wheels replaced.
    Ron
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 333
    Factory Chrome or Dealer Chromed Wheels. Not all LS430 Chrome wheels are the same. Some dealers have them chromed locally. Even so, Ron's comment is still valid. Good Luck
  • What is the name of the Dealer...

If possible I would try another Dealer.

It will not take many complaints like yours for him not to be an Elite dealer.

I would definately get even when those service Inquires came in....

I personally think you are being had by this dealer.
    Something is not right.
  • topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    Having experienced the slight hesitation in my 04 LS 430 and reading in many places that it was inherent, part of the LS experience etc. I then came across a posting that told of a tech bulletin TSB TC006-04 for this symptom. I decided to stop in to my dealer today and he gladly performed this "computer download" to adjust the shifting. I drove home and found the car noticably crisper in accelerating and that annoying microscopic but perceptible pause seemed like it was gone. The power of information. Keep up the good work everyone.
  • jbeejbee Posts: 4
    I was wondering if you could get the p.scan (program scan) feature that the manual discusses to work.

It doesn't do anything for me.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    That is unbelievable, yet true. Sorry to hear that. Seems like there will always be exception to the norm, and this is the outlier of the bunch.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I test drove an '06 S500 this morning, and was impressed. I'm thinking about trading my '01 LS430 for one. Or, I may go for an '05 LS430. Is there anyone out there who traded an LS430 for an S500? How do you feel about it now? I see a lot of advantages both ways, most of which are on the LS430's side. But the S500 sure is beautiful!
    (Eddie Fisher said that "a pretty face is just a pretty face"; that principle may apply here.) I looked at the A8L and 745iL, but they don't do much for me.