Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Thank you for that valuable information, LJFLX!
    I will get back in touch with this dealer in mid to late June.
    Then buying out my lease in early July wouldn't cost them anything since I made a one month security deposit and my lease is up at the beginning of August.
    Regards,
    hpowders
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,679
    What they will do is write you a separate check from the dealer for a one month payment of your lease. that is seaparate from your Lexus deal. keep completely mum on any security or prepaid one month on the Bimmer.
    Great. Thanks again!
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    This link is what Len and I are refering to:

http://img19.exs.cx/img19/3486/06is3009oa.jpg
    All of the Florida retirees just had a collective heart attack!
    "All of the Florida retirees just had a collective heart attack!"

Explain, pls....
    The well-to-do retirees out here are used to a more conservatively-styled car. The current LS fills the bill as evidenced by how many of them I see in my neighborhood which is a typical Florida retirement community. I can't see many of these folks going for that spy-photo design. Can you?
    You know there was a story I read once that said Toyota and Honda attract the oldest and youngest buyers for the same reason. The reason - trust in the car's reliability. I know I feel the same way. It's the only brands I'll buy for my older mother (157K flawless miles on a 1994 and 2001 Camry) and it's the car of choice for my son later (he actually wants the IS). Trust in the car outweighs everything else. Older buyers won't be put-off by sportier styles. Anyway it will be not be as racy as that sketch. But the style will be on that order. But reliability is and always will be the issue of the older buyer.

hpowders - the deal for them to write me a check for one month lease payment is what I did a year ago. Tie it into the deal (otherwise they have to 1099 you technically) but separate it out from the lease. June should be looking good. Tell that sales guy he's 3 months too early and that you expect a great offer in 3 months and he'll put it in his system to re-contact you then. Works every time.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    My personal guess is that the next LS will share alot with the new GS and IS, but will be more conservative than either, and less conservative than the current design.

IMHO all the sketches and photoshops we have seen are just guesses or artists conceptions based on nothing more than what we as outsiders know...basically Lexus' statements about the new design philosophy, plus concepts they have put out for other models, and the new models themselves (GS and IS).
    Thanks, LJFLX. Will do. The salesman got back to me last night and accounting for the $2000 buyout was "only" $210 per month over what I would pay for a 36 month lease.
    Yup. Those sketches always seem to be more radical than the real cars. Some folks were disappointed with the GS because they were hoping the sketches would be closer to the real thing and they weren't.
    I read that the average age of LS buyers is 62.
    I believe for that reason the new LS will still look pretty conservative.
  • famwaldfamwald Posts: 114
    The well-to-do retirees out here are used to a more conservatively-styled car. The current LS fills the bill as evidenced by how many of them I see in my neighborhood which is a typical Florida retirement community. I can't see many of these folks going for that spy-photo design. Can you?

I think the main issue for your neighbors will be whether the golf clubs will fit in the trunk. It's always the first question we ask. (VBgrin)
  • famwaldfamwald Posts: 114
    I read that the average age of LS buyers is 62.

Is that just in Florida, or a national average? Gee....I'm feeling older than I am right now. . .
    National average. I also read somewhere that Toyota admits the Avalon is intended for the "mature buyer." A lot of Avalons here.
    Meanwhile, in Tampa, quite a few Tampa Bay Bucs own LS 430's.
    So we can't let the stats. influence us too much.
    Out here we are a golf cart community; so very rarely, do golfers use their trunks for clubs.
    They buy Toyota products for reliability, comfort and conservative styling.
  • feverhartfeverhart Posts: 144
    "I read that the average age of LS buyers is 62.

Is that just in Florida, or a national average? Gee....I'm feeling older than I am right now."

62? Hey, you're feeling older and I'm feeling younger. It's the best of both worlds.
    Here is a link for a story with a table. Don't know if anyone posted this before.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-02-16-seniorcars-usat_x.htm

By the way - NY Times has a special pullout today for the auto show. Interesting interviews with Danny Clements and Tom Purves (BMW USA head). Clements says NO to I-drive. Purves says it can be challenging. Each MFR. is listed with their US sales
    Very apropos to what we were talking about.
    I notice the average age for Lexus buyers is 49. They can thank all those SUV sales for that.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    There has been a lot of discussion in these forums about the location of the XM antenna. I bought a new LS430 today, and asked about installing the XM radio system. The service guy said that they mount the antenna on the left side of the trunk lid, as I have previously seen and discussed. He said that they had mounted the antenna at the center of the forward edge of the trunk lid in several cases, and that the satellite reception was degraded and the navigation system was also adversely affected. (I'm an electrical engineer, and I can maybe understand why the satellite reception might be degraded, but I can't imagine how there could be any effect on the navigation system.) Has anybody else experienced these problems or been told the same thing by their dealer? They told me they'd install the antenna anywhere I said, if I insisted on it. I don't know what to think, except that the side-of-the-trunk-lid mounting is seriously ugly, expecially on a mercury metallic car like I got.
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 333
    I had the crystal white (metallic) and now have the Cypress Pearl. They first mounted the xm antenna on the side of the trunk lid like you describe. It was ugly (black) on the white color and the extra wire was wound around the wiring harness that retracts into the top of the trunk. This interfered with the retraction of the wiring harness. I later asked the dealer if they had received any word from Lexus on the positioning of the antenna and the decision was to place it in the middle of the forward edge of the trunk lid. It works just fine and does not interfere with the nav system. When I took delivery of my 2005 Cypress Pears, they transferred the antenna to the middle forward part of the trunk lid and it is still working fine.
    That's good to know. I think I'll go ahead and have the antenna mounted as you describe, even though the service guy swears that it will not work. Amazingly, he said that the antenna has to be placed on the left side of the trunk lid, and that it won't work if placed on the right side! This boggles the mind, from a technical perspective.
  • topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    I think that the price has a lot to do with it. The S Class, 7 series and A8 probably also sku high in age. IMHO people who can spend upwards of 60-80 K would tend to be older on average. I don't discount that the "non sporting" image and conservative styling also contribute but I would be willing to bet that the price is key.
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 333
    I thought that the left side was the closest place to the receiver and the easiest for the installer. As I said, I have had the XM in the 2004 and the 2005. The 2004 the antenna was both on the side and the front of the trunk lid and I couldn't tell any difference. The 2005 works fine as I said. I drove from ABQ to Oklahoma City and it worked fine. If it don't work, they can always move it, they don't drill any holes. Good Luck.
  • ron36330ron36330 Posts: 69
    The best place to mount the XM antenna is inside the center stop-light. Reception is not impaired and it is aesthetics are obviously improved. Good luck.
    Ron
    Sounds good. I'll have to look into it. Is there room inside the brake light housing for the square antenna that comes with the Lexus XM system?
  • feverhartfeverhart Posts: 144
    Thanks for the very informative posts on this site, I had the computer tuned today to overcome the hesitation in the 04 LS. While at the dealers, I received a printout (not official)of the 2007 LS (called LS 500 GT) now susposedly being beta tested in Russia, Germany, and Italy.

Specs: Hybrid AWD 400 HP V-10 with 200 HP electric, total of 600 HP; 0-60 in 4 sec; ungoverned top speed 202 mph; 36 mpg highway, 32 mpg town; 19" front & 20" rear wheels; US cost $100,000. It is supposed to be QUIETER and faster than the LS 430 and with "road holding and handling in another plane."

The line forms on the right.
    Ok - That 600 HP engine is the same thing, same 400+200 power that a very high up guy at my dealership told me about a few weeks ago - but no one on the 2007 LS board wanted to believe it. Instead I got a bunch of lame reasons that tried to make Lexus look like an angel that would never do such a power thing. Another guy told me not to believe what a dealer says - as if I was talking to a salesman or sales mgr. You have even more data re the 0-60 time and tire configuration. This is a highly specialized car though. Supposedly there will be a less-tuned mid 400's HP V-8 hybrid as well. So you have gas (350 or so), mid-level hybrid at 450 or so HP and then the super LS at 600HP. The V10 only happens though if they do that LF-A. Otherwise it will be a 550HP tuned V8 hybrid. But from what I was told the LF-A is a 90-10 sureshot. The LF-A and that super LS are going to get big headlines in 2007. I'm glad my lease runs through March 2007. It will need time for the 2007 model to cool off. I'm not sure 6 months will be enough though.

For the HPX crowd - yesterday's NY timnes showed a Toyota version of the HPX in the auto section pullout and said it arrives in 2007. Probaby means the HPX will also becoming to market for Lexus at the same time.
    You got to be kidding me, feverhart. Which dealership gave you this print out info on the new LS500 GT ??? OTOH, maybe its not wise to reveal the source publicly here.... But, a 600HP LS will be the anti-thesis of what Lexus stood for (in the past), right ? I mean, Toyota has never been about high output motors; leave that to the AMG, M and R/RS type cars.

In the April 2005 MT article, one finds these high performance cars from Bentley, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, Ford GT, etc. with V10 to V16 engines, and up to 950HP selling in the stratosphere price-wise. If Lexus has a car in this class at a *mere* $100K, with such performance (0-60 of 4s, 32-36mpg, top speed to 202mph, etc...) that would be an unbelievable price. Dirt-cheap, that is...
    OAC - They supposedly will also come out with a $150K-175K car that is competitive to the Maybach, Bentley & Rolls in a few years. Whether that wears a Lexus badge or a higher design label - I don't know. But if it happens it will be sold at Lexus dealerships just like a Maybach is sold at MB ones. It will probably use the same engine or tuned variant. This car that feverhart listed is an S600 killer not the ultra car that will play in that higher class. I heard the 0-60 was in the 4.5 range so feverhart has it even faster. I was given a price range of $100-110k I believe. It was going to ultimately be determined by where the exchange rate was headed.

I think many people are badly underestimating the splash Lexus is planning in 2007 with world-wide branding. They are reading the future with a narrow focus that is just an enhancement of today. That's not how you bring out a global player that is intending to become the no.1 lux label in the world. On top of that Toyota is far richer and more powerful than they were in 1990 when they caused the first major shake-up. This one will be much bigger and more far reaching. As well the main competition they are shooting for is bleeding right now in image and money.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Posts: 246
    Got the computer upgrade, and it cured the acceleration-hesitation immediately. Mount the XM antenna in the the middle of the rear trunk deck...it works just fine there and looks better. Let's hope for a direct MP3 plug-in for future models.
  • ron36330ron36330 Posts: 69
    The unit will NOT fit with the cover on. Remove the outer cover and just mount the internals inside the center stop-light mount.
    If your SM has not done this before, then have him check it out first.
    Ron