Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Hey, thanks for the clue! (JK) :P

Seriously though, the man up top is right - your registration and address are in the car, a thief knows that. So, what's the big whoop, eh? Except, Christine (name I call the voice behind me) will more easily direct the thief to your home. I think the "key" is in not losing your "key", because these guys are hard to steal without one.
  • Noise near the engine... First Lexus said replace the fan belt, that should rid the noise...did that...noise is still there....now Lexus is saying the water pump is going bad...will replace for 1050.00. I feel duped, because prior to buying the car, the 90k mile service was done at 101k miles and they didn't replace the water pump, while replacing the timing belt....now 13k miles later,the timing belt and other stuff must be replaced when I have the water pump done. Is replacing the water pump one of those repairs that should be done by the Lexus dlrship? Or can a reputable Japanese repair shop do it?

Thanks,

Gwen
  • sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    Hi Gwen,
    You should hold them accountable for the 90K service. I'm sorry to say this is typical of Lexus dealers. Most dealerships will replace the pump with the timing belt at the time of the 90K service. They'd rather replace parts than take a diagnostic approach to it.

I'd call the dealer's Service Manager and let them know of your situation. If you feel they aren't being fair call their Customer Service Dept at 1-800-25-Lexus.

They shouldn't have to replace the Timing Belt again just to get at the water pump. $1050 sounds excessive to begin with. It's a few hours labor and a little over a $120 for the actual pump.

A Japanese repair shop ought to be able to handle this, but I'd ask for their reasoning to suspect the water pump.

Hope this helps,
    Sam
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Anybody ever bother to check the belt tensioner idler bearing?

The MOST likely source of noise at high mileage, other than new drive belt noise which can be isolated by wetting it slightly with a garden hose.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Can we start a campaign to have Lexus make the above.

The 248HP in my 92 LS seems perfectly adequate and given the rise in base price the LS could use a model with a lower starting price point.

Or an LS400h using the new DFI V6 plus electrics.

Oh, never mind the AWD LS hybrid thought, Lexus would do it FWD biased and I doubt anyone would buy that.
  • One of the convenience features missing from my 2004 LS430 is a memory seat for the front passenger. I was surprised today to find that feature in the 2006 ES330, and still not in the LS. How does Toyota justify that?
  • yak54yak54 Posts: 72
    If anyone is driving the car with Euro Sp. Please describe the driving and handling characteristics.
    Thanks!
  • Would appreciate some feedback on the best tires for my 98 LS 400. I live in the mid-atlantic area, VA specifically. THANKS! Rick
  • I have been reading and enjoying this board and others on edmunds for a long time, but this is my first post. I have found many of the long time posters to be very knowledgeable as well as entertaining. Please help me with my decision. I know this is an apples and oranges comparison, but anyway...I'm trying to decide between a used Lexus LS430, my dream car since reading so much about it since 2001 and a new Hyundai Azera. I live in Chicago and so I'm also concerned about the LS in the snow, athough I have had other RWD cars in the past with no problems, but not with the horsepower of the LS. It would also be difficult for me to change to snow tires in the winter. Aside from the snow problem, which one would you choose? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
  • aggie76aggie76 Posts: 265
    Don't let your snow concern stop your dream of an LS in the garage!

The LS handles just fine in the snow and you can use the "snow" mode to adjust the transmission to start in a higher gear, making starting much easier. I live in Northwest IL with my '04 LS and while having a dedicated set of snow tires/wheels I have been caught with my normal tires in snow and I just had to take it a bit easier on that occasion.

It's too good a car to not have it the remainder of the year. I will tell you that I store my second set of wheels/tires at the tire dealer (no cost to store) during the year and a minor charge to switch them. Tire Rack has great deals on snow tires/wheels and shipped right to my local tire dealer for me.
  • i am looking to replace my dunlop tires on my 2001 ls430. costco has BF Goodrich Touring T/A pro all season tires for $100 each mounting included. has anybody had an luck with these, i was told these are new and were replacing another line that was discontinued? i called the dealer and they are looking for $900 + tax for bridgestones all season tires which seems a little high, or $45 to mount a tire purchased elsewhere. help
  • Thanks aggie76. You said exactly what I was hopeing to hear. I remember when you posted about the purchase of your new LS and have enjoyed your posts since that time.

Regards,

cneuman
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,677
    I love the Michelin energy MXV4's, but they will run you $160 each. Geat tire and far superior to the Dunlops. Sears has them or can get them for you in addition to many tire places.
  • jsb16jsb16 Posts: 64
    I also own an 04 LS in the Chicago area and although I love the car, it handles poorly in the snow and dedicated winter tires are mandatory. I used to just change the tires on my 90 LS but I bought a 2nd set of wheels for the new car. I don't know what you mean about it being difficult to change over the tires. I store my second set at home and it will likley only cost me $20 to have the car jacked up and wheels changed. Dealers near me will also give you the option of paying $1000 for four tires and they will store them and do the changeovers.
  • molexmolex Posts: 12
    I OWN A 01 LEX 430 ULTRA PAK LOADED TO THE FULL. MASSAGING SEATS ,REFRIGRATOR , SMART ACCESS, LEXUS LINK AND MANY OTHER OPTIONS. IS THERE ANYBODY THAT CAN SUGGEST ANYTHING TO ME AS FAR AS MAINTENANCE OR ANYTHING I SHOULD LOOK OUT FOR. IT STILL HAS 19000 MILES AND JUST WANT TO KEEP IT UP. CAN I REALLY UPGRADE MY NAV DATA? IS THER ANYONE THAT HAS AN LS 430 WITH 20 INCH RIMS OR BIGGER? ALSO WHY DOESNT THE LS430 HAVE A MEMORY FOR THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT! ANY SUGGESTIONS OVERRALL WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED!!!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi molex, welcome.

A little advice - posting in all caps comes across as shouting, and it also makes your post difficult to read. I'm sure you don't mean to be yelling at us, so give us a chance to read your posts more easily and see if we have any suggestions.

Hope we can help.
    You can update the Navigation DVD. Go to www.lexus_parts.com and you can order the DVD. You install it with the car on, or at least the key in the on position. It goes into a player in the passenger side of the trunk, under the mat. Simply replace the old one with the new one, and screw it back in. Cover it up, and you've saved $200 the lexus dealer would have charged you to put it in.
    Will I be able to eject the disc without unscrewing the player?The new disc will probably update alot of stuff and will be well worth it.
    Nope, you will have to loosen the unit to eject it, replace it than screw it back down. Remember to leave the key on, or start the car, and it'll automatically load up, saving all your preferences. It just updates the map, that's all.
    Thanks nybanker!
    I was just at the chicago auto show and I seen the new LS460L in the flesh.....I have only 1 thing to say WOW!!!Everything about it was bad [non-permissible content removed]. They still dont have a set price, but the spokeslady said about 80 to 90 thousand. I dont have nothing negative to say. I just wonder how it drives.?
  • mheni1mheni1 Posts: 41
    I have been driving a 2001 LS 430 with Euro suspension. The car rode "hard" upon arrival and I immediately replaced sport tires and 17" rims in order to get a "softer" ride. I still rides harder than a non Euro suspension but after 55 k miles I don't notice it any more. Am looking at a 2006 and will not get Euro suspension for I want "soft".
    Several questions related to 2006
    1. Currently own 2001 LS 430 and will probably buy 2006 in the next month or. I don't see any mention of Lexus Link in current literature. Is it still on option?
    2. Live in Wash DC area. Any ideas on where to get best buy. Edmunds suggest $60k or so.
    "Luv" my 2001 primarily because I am able to get into and out of car and the drivers seat fits me just right. Entrance/exit and seat comfort is most important as my injuries from Viet Nam leave me fairly "stiff" most of the time.
    Am looking at a 2006 replacement as I fear 2007 models and beyond will not fit me.
    Will appreciate thoughts on: getting a 2006 and differences since 2001, and getting a 2006 for reasons noted above.
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    1. Currently own 2001 LS 430 and will probably buy 2006 in the next month or. I don't see any mention of Lexus Link in current literature. Is it still on option?

My understanding is that Lexus stopped offering this with the 2005 model.

2. Live in Wash DC area. Any ideas on where to get best buy. Edmunds suggest $60k or so.

About 15 months ago I found Lexus of Rockville to be the most aggressive dealmaker in the area, but you have to ask (politely, of course). It's against Edmunds' policy to give salespersons names here, but I can say that my email address is in my profile. ;)

Also, you may want to post in the "Lexus LS: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" forum. Search that forum for "Rockville" and you'll see others since seem to agree. Good luck!
  • mmm1mmm1 Posts: 54
    Prior to purchasing my 2003 LS 430 and 2005 RX 330 I sent email messages to numerous mid-Atlantic Lexus dealerships in Richmond, Raleigh, Virginia Beach, Newport News, and the Washington area requesting prices. I got the best price from Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria in both cases. I then took that price to the dealership nearest me (Newport News) and they matched it. Price from any one dealer will vary considerably depending on the options that you want.
  • famwaldfamwald Posts: 114
    Will appreciate thoughts on: getting a 2006 and differences since 2001, and getting a 2006 for reasons noted above.

Since they're all from the same generation, I don't think you'll notice much difference. I have a 2005 LS and a good friend just bought a 2006 LS. I cannot tell the difference. both cars appear identical on the inside.
  • luckylouluckylou Posts: 308
    We just got our first Lexus and we went with the 2006 LS430.
    Lexus of Orlando, Florida is offering a $9000.00 discount of the MSRP.
    We were able to purchased the Flint Mica with Black interior and the Ultra Pkg.
    Does anyone knows if it is a CD for leaning all the buttons and switches ??
    We went to a few Lexus dealers and Lexus of Orlando treated us like royalty , we were comfortable and relax thru the whole process.
    Lou
  • garcongarcon Posts: 5
    anybody know one? I would appreciate it...

Gary
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Posts: 125
    Lexus Thousand Oaks is very good. I bought my LS there.
    Also, Santa Monica Lexus is EXCELLENT. I have all my service done there since it's closer to my house. Hope this helps.