Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Probably an easy service item - but which model do you have?
    Reading your other posts (though you are intensely private in your profile) revealed you have an 01 LS430. This is an easy service item on your car. In the back of the lower glove box, is a removeable black plastic panel. Once removed, you will see the A/C blower housing in white plastic, and a small long door that can be unsnapped.
    Do that, and you'll see the filter can be slid out, and a new one installed. Reverse the process after installation. Re-setting your warning message process should be in your owner's manual if it remains on, and I think it will. This whole process is also in your manual, by the way. Good luck. The filter is expensive - that's the worst part of it.
  • scottamcscottamc Posts: 6
    I have a question to ask you experts. My parents own a 2004 Lexus LS 430. It only has 13,000 miles on it and has all the bells and whistles. Mark lev, nav, ultra lux pkg, park assit, massage seats/recline, chrome wheels, Silver paint/cream interior, etc.. They buy out price is about $38k. My question is do you think this is a good deal and how much on the open market is it reasonable to expect this car to go for? Thanks in advance
  • ckennedyckennedy Posts: 82
    Thanks. My car was broken into and they took the owner's manual and navigation book. I will try it. Should I go through a dealer or OEM for the filter. I know of a reputable one in the Dallas area.
    I am certaintly not an expert but I paid $35k for a 01 LS with Nav/Mark levinson no ultra package or crome wheels with about 15k on it
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 333
    Kelly Blue Book shows a private party sale value in "Excellent Condition as $47,400" for my area. $38K sounds like a great value. You might buy extended warranty for around $2000 if the warranty concerns you. Also, Edmunds shows a private party value of $42,448....good luck.
    I don't think it matters where you get the filter. As for your missing manuals, check on e-bay. They are usually available for a song there.
    Should I go with the dealer they quoted me $38 + tax? I tried toyota but they need an exact part no.
  • tropheustropheus Posts: 3
    You can order OEM parts at discounted price here:

www.lexus-parts.com
    www.irontoad.com
    Thanks yeah I ended up going with lexus-parts.
  • mikeyinmomikeyinmo Posts: 9
    I have had a "first-ever" problem today with the touchscreen on my '99 LS (84XXX miles).

Several times when I started it today, the Lexus image appears briefly, as usual, and then it went to the climate screen, but all the controls were greyed out and non-responsive (like some of the NAV buttons are when the vehicle is in motion). And the each side "mechanical" buttons to select radio screen or NAV screen, etc. wouldn't switch to their views, either.

I re-started the car and it then came up normally.

After my next stop.....again, it failed to boot up on the first start, giving me greyed out controls. So again, I restarted it and it came up properly.

I have now tried it twice in the garage at home and it came up OK both times.

Any ideas....??? I always worried about putting all the "eggs in one basket" like that, especially the HVAC system......lol.......

I have eMailed my dealer and I await his response, but I thought I would post this on the Forum as well. I expect the dealer to just say "replace CPU #14A-1250 for a billion dollars and it will go away."

I really appreciate the folks who manage this Forum and especially the concerned owners who check it regularly and offer useful, cost-saving advice.

Thanks from "mikeyinMO," which is in SE Missouri, steeling himself for a hot, humid summer with no A/C in his still beautiful Champagne Gold LS.
  • jsb16jsb16 Posts: 64
    I have a 2004 LS that had the nav software upgraded on recall. I am interested in upgrading it again since I am finding POIs that are missing or have since moved. I read old posts and it sounds like the latest 6.1 gen 4 software kills the motion overide and this is a feature I have used. Anyone have experience with updating with version 5 software? Was there enough difference to justify the change over version 4. I hate to purchase an older disc but it may be a better compromise if I don't want to lose that overide feature.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    Hi jsb16. When I upgraded to version 6.1 I saved the old CD (or DVD? I don't remember) version 5.1. I'd be happy to send it to you. email me at rbosch at roadrunner dot com.

Renny
  • phxphx Posts: 8
    Is there anyway to prevent the lock out (ability to enter info when the car is moving) for the Nav on an 05 LS430.
    Message 7602 said:

"A set of button pushes can override the lockout on most 2005 Lexus NAVs until the next time the vehicle is restarted by pushing the buttons in the following order: menu > volume > top left of screen, bottom left, top left, bottom left > override ((hold for several seconds until override is highlighted and beep occurs) > back. Destinations can then be entered while moving.
    No one has yet found a way to dial the phone while moving."

However, if your nav DVD has been upgraded to version 06.1 then this no longer works.
  • phxphx Posts: 8
    Thank you. Is there a way to determine what version DVD I have.
    "Is there a way to determine what version DVD I have?"

Push some buttons and press some options until you get a button called "DVD ver." or something like that. Do you have any children in your family? They will have no problem finding it. It's the training they get from playing those cursed games all the time.
  • paul83paul83 Posts: 3
    I have a 1990 LS 400 with 140,000 miles. Looks like new. Had problems with the engine. Had my mechanic put a used low mile (20,000 miles) 1992 LS 400 engine into the car. Ran perfect. He also put a new alternator. Drove the car 150 miles and all the lights came on the dashboard. It had been running on the battery only. He did not hook up all the wires on the alternator. He hooked all the wires on the Alternator. Took the battery cable off and reset the computer. All the lights came back on the dash board. Do you think it could be faulty battery cables? Do all the lights come on the dashboard when you have a problem with the alternator? The car looks and runs perfect but can not get it inspected with all the lights on the dash board lit up. I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Paul
  • mheni1mheni1 Posts: 41
    I have bluetooth in my 2006 LS 430. I use a Verizon Motorola RAZR V3c cell phone which works well with Lexus bluetooth with one exception---I am unable to upload cell phone address book to bluetooth system. Thus I must use cell phone for making calls though they go thru car bluetooth. Pls direct me to a cell phone, preferably with Verizon, that will allow address book to be uploaded to bluetooth system. Thanks.
    Well, I can tell ya that a TREO 700 Won't do that either....Best bet would be to ask Lexus what they recommend, and decide if you want to go there.
  • cgazsccgazsc Posts: 3
    I've been using a Treo 650, also with Verizon, for about 2 years now with my 2004 LS. I am able to upload from the 650 to the BT, but with some difficulty. I sometimes have to repeat the process several times before it gets it right. One thing to be careful with is if you already have many entries in the Nav BT directory and you want to add just a couple of more, do NOT upload the whole address book again. You'll get duplicate entries which is a pain to delete.
    famwald, had the exact same problem with my '04 LS. Turned out to be the ECU for the door. Dealer kept it for 2 days.
    Interesting, I was never able to get this done. It's actually hard to keep the 700 I now have even connected. It will adopt the car for a few minutes after you start the car, but after a little bit, if you don't use it, it breaks the bind and you have no connection anymore.... My 650 was better.
    The 650 works extremely well(except for uploading). Everytime I get in the car it connects and stays connected. Love it! Just wish Lexus had their head screwed on straight and allowed me to manually enter phone numbers directly into the directory(when stopped of course!). That way I wouldn't have to fight the BT to receive all the bits correctly! What are they thinking???
    You are correct - my 650 was far superior to my 700 and connecting and staying connected to my car.
  • I am considering purchasing a 2002 LS430. It seems that you can find them with 65-70k on the odo for under $24k. I need it for an occasional driver to take clients to dinner, to play golf, and for a couple long haul trips a year. All told, I doubt I will put more than 6k on it a year, and it will be in service for about 4 years. Does anyone have suggestions on specific issues to look for or things to avoid? I appreciate any feedback.
    I had an 02, and the only thing I'd be concerned about is the seat. Make sure you can live with the driver's seat. They are rather flat and unsupportive in the extreme. If it doesn't bother you, go for it. They are just great - the best on the planet, IMO. Yes, I have another one, an 05 now, better seats.
  • I recently replaced the OEM dunlop tires with the new michelin primacy mxv4. This tire replaces the michelin mxv4 plus. I just drove 2000 miles on a vacation and wanted to post that these tires were very different from the Dunlop 5000 sp, much quieter, less road noise and a super soft ride. Needless to say I am very pleased with this tire. This tire was just released for sale june 1,07. So there isn't much info out about them, just wanted to give my opinion regarding this tire.
    I might add they are good on wet pavement, no hydroplaning problems. They also have a 60,000mi tread warranty!!