Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I put the Michelins on my LS-430, and the difference is amazing. Quiet, smooth, great handling. I think they're the best I've ever had.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    But wait until you have driven them 8-10,000 miles......
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    You have piqued (sp?) my interest...what should one expect in 8-10K miles, as I have those tires on my Crown Vic..
    NOISE...!!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Well, that will be very disturbing if it happens...... Must admit though, that the Dunlops I had on there got noiser with age, much noisier.....
  • gwendolyngwendolyn Posts: 46
    The michelin harmony tires. They came on my 97 ls400. I replaced them with the same...I like them so well, I just order a pair to go on my 01 sle solara. Just my opinion.
  • gwendolyngwendolyn Posts: 46
    and the michelin harmony tires comes with a 80k mile warranty. And they are quiet...even when they start to where....maybe someone else can provide pros and cons for the harmony...this is just my experience...thx,

gwen
  • alawoodalawood Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 LS 430 with 74,000 miles, when drive alone at highway speed the engine has a dead miss that comes and goes. I took it to a Lexus dealer and they said it was the drive by wire system. Is there a modular for the drive by wire?
  • alawoodalawood Posts: 3
    Found out today that my problem was the thorttle position senor, I also found out you have to buy the thorttle body to get the Thorottle Position Senor. #1250.00 worth.
    Our '92 LS400, 120,000 miles, has been "drinking" power steering fluid.

Often lots of smoke from the exhaust at startup but fine thereafter.

Turns out the idle-up air metering valve has failed and is allowing the PS fluid to enter the intake manifold. $140 for a new one from Lexus or $80 for the same item for a 91 Camry.

Since this is only used if high stearing effort is required I have simply blocked the airflow on both ends.

Anybody else use that solution and have you encountered any adverse effects..??
    Well, that didn't work, the pressure is pushing the fluid past the "blockage" and still flowing into the intake manifold. I think I'll replace the idle-up valve with a simple pipe plug next.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    So Willard, let us know what happened. Also, are you actually disabling the power steering altogether? And another thing -- isn't your 92 LS400 worth $80 just to keep it happy?

Renny
    I removed the PS pressure sensor and soldered the nipple, fluid pressure sensor end, SHUT.

This sensor only operates when the PS fluid pressure is quite high, say turning the wheels agains a curb or against the end stops. Rarely need the help. Power stearing operates normally otherwise, just no "idle up" in the above conditions to provide more flow/pressure.
  • I've searched the threads and it doesn't seem that the struts on the base suspension have caused many problems. I recently purchased an '04 with 50,000 miles (now 55,000) and I've noticed that as the suspension rebounds, the rear struts seem to have no damping. While the car was on a lift, I did look at the struts and so no evidence of leakage. The front struts seem to be fine. I am going to have the rear shock inserts replaced. My question is this. Under normal circumstances, how long should these struts last? I've seen other posts claiming over 125,000 miles. As you know, this isn't going to be an inexpensive fix, so I'm wondering if it will be okay to leave the front struts alone?
  • I am planning on buying a used LS and am concerned about gasoline octane and the fact that I have heard that one must use premium only and further that the car will not run properly without the more expensive gasoline. I am driving a Toyota Avalon and that, too, reguires premium but runs just fine with mid grade. Anybody out there to help me?
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,925
    My 2006 LS runs just fine on regular grade. The only difference I notice is that in mainly urban driving I get around 20 mpg on regular and 22 mpg on premium. Can't really tell any other difference. I usually use prem. just for peace of mind and the better mpg. Good luck. Great cars.

One of my nicest surprises was 30 mpg on highway trips ! Not bad for a nice V-8.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,043
    There's no reason your car won't run "properly". It might be a bit slower and you might get less mpg, but it should run fine because the car's engine management system will compensate for the lower octane.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I have an 05 that I routinely use midgrade fuel in with no problems or perceived degradation in fuel mileage. No apparent performance issues either, but I don't push the car. Hope this helps.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I'm sorry, but posts advertising anything for sale have to be removed.
  • I am removing parts from my 95 for my 97. Which parts should I deinetly remove and keep
    Your first task is figuring out what will interchange. '97 had engine and styling changes for one thing.

I'd certainly keep anything that is small and breakable, like lenses (if they fit), turn signal switch, power window switches, glove box/console locks, relays from the relay box. If the alternator had the same part #, I'd grab that, too. If the stereos interchange, take that out, too.

• I just bought a used 2004 LS430 recently. There is a black I/O button by the side of ECT POWER/SNOW button. I can not figure out what the button is about. I asked the previous owner and he did not know it either. He said it has no use as far as he can see. My question is : If the button is there , it should have some kind of use.
    Oh I think that eliminates 1st gear if I recall correctly, and also de-sensitizes the throttle, so that you don't apply too much power to the ground in slippery conditions.

It resets every time you turn off the car, so you have to keep pressing it for it to work.

• Thanks for your reply. I will check that out. But I just want to make it clear : it is a rock switch kind of button like the power switch at back of the PC. It is not push on, push off kind of button.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    ... the Owner's Manual would a be a good place to start.
    I don't have the owner's manual for your particular car. Possibly there is a sport suspension switch that activates the Power/Snow function to give you either/or. In that case, "power" would extend your shift points and "snow" would drop first gear and de-sensitive your throttle.

• Sorry, the owner's manual is missing. The previous owner told me that he did not have the manual when he got the car. He figure out everything himself.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    ... register as an owner at the Lexus website, I think you might be entitled to a free copy of the owner's manual for your car. Otherwise, I am sure eBay will turn something up. It may be a wise thing to do anyways. :)
  • For what it's worth, the '04 LS430 Ultra-Lux has a row of three toggle switches, labeled (left to right): SPORT-NORM, HIGH-HEIGHT-NORM, and PWR-ECT-SNOW. If your LS doesn't have all those options, maybe Lexus just left a dummy switch there to fill the hole. I/O certainly is not a very informative label.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    I/O simply stand for...In/Out???

Some people won't stop at anything...maybe I'm one of them... :P ;)