Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    ....for them. :)

Sorry to hear about your 2K pain.

I find it surprising that a company that makes you hit "I agree" on the nav/radio system every time you start up the car to avoid possible litigation would make such an easily corrupted laser cruise system that could lead to a serious accident if it malfunctioned.

I wonder if indeed, the '04 refresh of the LS included design changes to that system to make it tougher.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    ...are actually an anti-theft feature. As others have said, just jiggle it while turning the ignition.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    The steering wheel will tend to lock harder than normal. What you describe is the norm and this is usually the way it happens. But every now and then it won't come free with the usual quick jiggle. Actually most of the time with Smartaccess it comes free without even the need to jiggle it. But when it doesn't you almost get the feeling you won't be able to start the car as Jerry pointed out. I made sure I explained it to my wife since it scared me to the point of thinking it was a problem. When it happens you have to give it a quick and real hard tug to get it free. It happened to me once or twice in my old LS but even that wasn't as bad as this. I think it is tied into Smartaccess. Once it happens you know what to expect and how to deal with it. I'm sure there is a minor adjustment that the service dept. can make to eliminate this. But it's not a big deal and certainly not a problem - just an occasional annoyance and Lexus buyers are not used to annoyances.
    I have not heard any widespread problems with laser cruise. I would also think this is a warranty item since it is not prone to ordinary wear and tear.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    Don't you have to know in which direction to pull the steering wheel? It seems to me that sometimes I have to pull to the right and other times to the left. It sort of seems like there is some pin that locks the wheel by fitting into a groove between two teeth of a gear.
    If the pin hits the groove straight on it will release easily, but if it hits the edge of a tooth then it may cause friction and not release easily.

Does this make any sense? It's hard to describe without drawing a picture and pointing.

By the way, I have noticed that when the steering wheel is locked and I try to start the car, I get a warning message that says "Check S/T Lock". Would you guess that "S/T" is meant to be an abbreviation for "Steering Wheel"?
    I got that S/T lock message the first time it happened. When I jiggle the steering wheel I go both right and left and it comes free.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    So is the "check S/T lock" indicator a visual hint to do the "jiggle thing" with the steering wheel?

Or is it a warning to get the steering wheel serviced?

Does the owner's manual have anything to say about this? (No, not lazy, I'm a potential LS430 owner here -- don't have a manual YET) :)
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    If one of the front wheels is turned into the curb or some object, sometimes even a small rock, then it can be very hard to turn the wheel enough by hand to disenage the lock.
    No it's not a service warning just an alert that your steering wheel is locked. The manual does deal with it and states what to do but I honestly forgot what it said.

wwest - this happened to me in my garage with nothing impeding the wheels. So it should occasionally be expected - but as I said before - its a non-event once you know what to do.
  • erad98erad98 Posts: 23
    Thanks to all of those who posted on these topics.

I purchased the flaps and had the dealer install them. Since I plan on keeping my LS 430 for several years, I thought it was a wise investment to minimize rock dings and tar. I was finally able to convince the dealer that there was a way to customize the door locking mechanism given that other owners have reported sucess. Although they charged me $25 for the CBEST adjustment, they under-charged me for the mud guards so I walked away happy.
  • barry5barry5 Posts: 49
    Lexus considers the Dynamic Cruise Control module as the would a windshield. In other words if you were driving and road debris cracked your windshield you would not be covered by a Lexus warranty. I think they are comparing apples to oranges however that is the reality. I will be picking up my new $2000 module tomorrow and have asked for the old one, there must be a way of protecting it.
  • How much did they charge you to install the mud guards...Did you get the guards from the dealer or a web site. Could you tell us how much you had to pay for them.

If the dealer provided the mud guards could you give us their name.
    Is there a way of just using regular cruise and disabling the laser function? I haven't checked. I will ask them if they fixed the breakage problem on the 2004 when I service it.
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Posts: 125
    Yes, you can switch between dynamic and regular cruise control by pressing one of the buttons on the steering column (I think it's the mode button). If it's not that one, it's one of the other buttons on the steering column. It's one of the features listed in the manual.
  • barry5barry5 Posts: 49
    I do not know. I have never attempted to use the manual cruise control. When my Dynamic Cruise Control went the message on the dashboard was consistent "check cruise control" or "cruise control not functioning". If you have a crack or chip on the glass it will function but after a while that crack will widen and allow rushing air into the module which will cause it to malfunction [that's my theory]. When I examine the old module I may be able to comment further. At this point my concern is how do I protect the new module.
  • On my 01 to turn on the Laser cruse control you push the button on the end of the stick on the right hand side and the display comes on.

To go to regular cruse you just push the button twice. I suspect it will be the same on an 04
  • erad98erad98 Posts: 23
    I got the guards from a Canadian web site referenced earlier. Their e-mail is wavytrading@sbcglobal.net. Purchasing was uneventful although they had to wait for a shipment from Japan. As I recall they cost $250 for all 4 guards.

The dealer had initially quoted me a price of $85 for installation but ended up charging me $25.
    I haven't stopped in a store recently but a search of the web stills shows Verizon wireless lacking bluetooth. Anyone know differently? I'm starting to get real frustrated with them and will switch if they don't do something soon. On business days my car becomes a travelling office on my way in and a concert hall on my way back (after a phone call or two). Lexus provides bluetooth for the trip in and mark levinson for the trip back. Verizon provides zilch. I'm giving them 70 days to fix this - and only because it's summer.
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Went to get the Bridgestone t`s , and the salesman told my wife that they were the best in his opinion. ( it`s wwest`s opinion I value, but he backed it up) Unfortunately there was not one to be had, so they are on back order for a month or so. Just an update.. Tony
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 333
    I checked earlier in the week in Albuquerque, NM and was advised that they have no information when they will be distributing or providing "BlueTooth". In addition, the entire Verizon local service area was off the air due to someone cutting a fiber optic cable. The next morning, the local talk show host was giving them heck for the poor customer service he received at a local Verizon store. He said that he finally gave up and went to a contract store and was served in a timely manner there. They must still be testing the V600 Motorola???