Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,257
    This is great news stevestein! I am one of those that have had some problems with the Nav. system on my 2004 LS430. It has too may errors in it. Sometimes, it takes me to a spot within a half mile or so from the intended spot. Once in a while it goes comletely wacky and takes me in an opposite direction of the intended final destination once I get fairly close to this destination. Just in my neghborhood alone, several of the street names are wrong.

Where did you get this information that Lexus is now admitting there is a problem & they will fix it? Is it from the Lexus website or somewhere else?
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    I upgraded the Nav in my '99 to the 2001 version and it works flawlessly. Sometimes it chooses some odd-ball routes, but it always gets it right. How can a newer gen-4 version on the 04s be so screwed up ? I hope Lexus goes back to the original models as on the 01s and get rid of this bad one, cos it can leave a bad taste in an otherwise excellent vehicle. Not good at all... Plus recall on trannies.... Are these signs of a chink in Lexus' armor ???? Hope not !
    I just talked to my dealer & they indeed verified that Lexus will replace the Gen. 4 System. I may not even have to wait until I get a letter from Lexus. The dealer is ordering parts. Even though it is disappointing that there has been a problem with the Nav. system, at least Lexus is admitting the problem and fixing it.
  • To clarify, this is a software/database upgrade only requiring a new DVD disc. No hardware is being replaced and all other parts/functions of the 4th gen system remain.
    You are correct. The dealer just called and told me that they ordered the new DVD disc for me. I am looking forward to the new and improved system.
  • Oac:

Just a thought...I updated my Nav in my 01 to the 03 huge difference went from 800,000 points of interest to 5 million...

The 03 was done by the company that did the 01, the change over was flawless.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Hi Michael:

The Nav in the gen-2 LS ('98 - '00) are HD-based and does not have as much disk space as DVDs in your gen-3 2001 LS. I am not sure I can get a similar level of POI if I upgrade from my v.2001 Nav as you can with a DVD-based Nav. I'll stick to this version and hope for a change with my proposed purchase of the 2007 LS.... Can't wait for this car....

:)
  • Cyclone...
    When you get your new disc, would you please let us all know what version number is on it. I recently upgraded my DVD to 4.1...I purchased it through Lexus_Parts.com If there's a fixed version after 4.1, I hope that they'll replace the old one free of charge. I just bought it 1 month ago. I think this will interest a few people on this post. Thanks,
  • ikey78ikey78 Posts: 28
    Someone on the Club Lexus forum has documentation in the form of a parts order form showing that the replacement DVD for the recall campaign is version 4.2.
    My new 2005 LS was delivered one week ago with version 4.2 and I have not had any problems with the Nav system.
  • There has been a post or two suggesting the antenna dish for the radar cruise control is right behind the Lexus "L" logo plastic plate in the front of the radiator. I guess no one has answered your question because none of us is actually sure. That's the best I can do.
  • Is the new DVD being sent to us or do we have to have Lexus install? Can't we just pop it in ourselves?

What is the main aspect of the upgrade? I haven't used my nav too often but have not had a problem.
  • The recalled 2004 LS 430 NAV upgrade is sent to the dealers who will install it, presumably at no charge. If you haven't had a problem with the current 2004 NAV, rest assured you will if you use it enough. The directional software is absolutely inferior to the 2001-2003 units.
  • I just bought this vehicle at a bargain price ($37K internet price)from a local Toyota dealership. It only has 22,500 miles and has the Nav., heated seats and rear A/C packages. I have only just learned that the previous owner (a Realtor) never let the Lexus dealer near the vehicle again since new and, the car has had just 3 oil changes to date. Do I really need to give Lexus Service dept. a $450 handshake just to do a retro 15,000 mile service? What signs of neglect should I look for if I join a regular mechanic under the car while it is up on the hoist? From the discussion on GPS DVD versions it seems that I maybe better off not upgrading to ver., 4.2. Finally, can I have an XM sat. radio added to the vehicle? If yes, should I use Lexus or the after market? Comments please.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    VERY SMART....

It is a good idea to NEVER let a dealer anywhere near your car for routine maintenance purposes.

Dealers are not fools, for routine jobs they DO NOT use expensive technical expertise, they use the very same McD graduates as the quick oil change shops. And most use recycled oil.

No real harm in that latter, just to let you know what you're paying premium prices for.

I stopped using Lexus service, 1993, after they added my self supplied Mobil 1 to the crankcase without first draining the old oil. My fault, really, changed the gofer's ROUTINE!

Last year my Trac light would came on occassionally. Figured Lexus couldn't, WOULDN'T DARE, screw up a brake fluid flush.

NOT!

Technician, and MASTER service technician, didn't even know about extra bleed valves at ABS pumpmotor and pressure accumulator.

And one more point, the recommended oil change mileage interval for the 2001 Porsche 911/996 is 15,000 miles.
  • Flatlander:

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...22,500 and it sounds like it is an ULTRA..The top of the line has everything.

I would do what the dealer told me ...I assume it is Certified...that sounds like a fantastic buy to me.
  • You and I agree about staying clear of dealerships for regular services. My dilemma is not knowing whether the car's low price is for a good reason, like a mechanical defect. What really throws me is that the first 2 services are free, and she never took Lexus up on the offer.
  • Thanks for the attaboy. It isn't an Ultra (no dynamic cruise, back rumble seats or blinds) but is still a deal. Just wondering whether Toyota knew something I don't (yet).
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    I didn't take advantage of those free services for my last three Lexus purchases. I'm about to buy an X3 which comes with "free" routine maintenance for the first 50k miles and if I can help it the dealer will NEVER see it again after delivery.
  • I did not add to my reply #6550 that this is not a Certified car although it still has some waranty left. It was the only Lexus on this nominally Toyota car lot and they seem to know zip about it other than how nice it is. There was some minor cosmetic damage requiring a trip to their body shop. Just me but I rarely turn down something offered for free unless I know there is a gotcha involved, like a "free" sponsored year of life insurance, etc.

I am digging for advice on what may go wrong after 3 years of city only usage.

[wwest] I see from your profile that you may able to advise on my query of "Can I add an XM satellite radio to the Nav set up" similar to a newer LS.
  • If Lexus wouldn't Certify a 2004 with 22,500 miles ..there is something wrong...Keep looking there are deals out there.