Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• Re: starter knob sticking.
    Remember to push the key inward before turning.
  • paulrlpaulrl Posts: 11
    As the end of Nov30 I paid only $52988 for 2005LS430 with must have option sticker price $59144 Anybody like to buy one call Park Place Lexus in Grapevine Tx Tel.817 4163100
  • The light switches for the doors and trunk have a long travel past the off point. I'm going to get some of the small 1/4-1/2" rubber stick on bumpers and put them on top of the switches to see if I can get them to turn out the lights even if the door or trunk are ajar. This will almost certainly defeat any door or trunk ajar warning. I don't know how I feel about doing that with the doors, but at least on the SC trunk something I'm willing to trade-off. It's impossible to see if that is closed or open. I'll let you know in a few days what happens. (unless wwest has tried this already).
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Learned to live with it, I always (well, most of the time) make sure the doors are fully closed, and keep a battery charger nearby.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Did I read somewhere you are buying an X3? Friends of ours just leased one and are sorry they did. Bumpy and noisy ride is the reason. They are basically Lexus people who wanted to try something else for a change. Just a heads-up.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Taking factory delivery, 4 week tour of Europe. If I decide I don't like it during those four weeks when it gets to the US I will either convert it to air suspenion or sell it.

Figure it will be, altogether, cheaper that renting a car that may not be my choice.
  • Did you get Modern Luxury and Smart Key?
  • paulrlpaulrl Posts: 11
    the packages;1 Premium Package
    2 Smart Key 3 18-inch all-season tires
  • Encountered my first annoyance today,and I'm not sure where to channel my frustration - Lexus or Verizon Wireless. My '05 LS has the navigation and voice recognition as part of the Modern Luxury Package. So I went to the local cellular store where Lexus sent me to upgrade to a bluetooth phone that I could integrate with the car. Well, Verizon has only 1 bluetooth capable phone -the v710. Nice phone but.....not fully functional with the Lexus. I cannot transfer the phonebook to the car, I do not get a ring tone when a call comes in (although the audio cuts out and the nav screen shows that there is an incoming call), and, most importantly, I can not initiate a call through the voice recognition command. As such, I can only initiate a call from a number stored in my phone book by flipping the phone open and accessing the phone # and hit send on the phone. Annoying to say the least considering the car has voice recognition. To compound my frustration, I am told that other cell service providers, i.e., Cingular AT&T, have fully functioning/compatible phones that will fully integrate via bluetooth into the LS. The Verizon dealer told me I should call Lexus and [non-permissible content removed] about it (he says many customers are unhappy). Does anyone know of this issue? Does anyone know if Lexus and Verizon are working on a fix? The simple solution is to drop Verizon and switch to Cingular, but I have been with Verizon for so long now I would rather not switch. I have heard that there are service/accessibility issues with Cingular. Any suggestions????
  • cove148cove148 Posts: 117
    What is the advantages/disadvantages of 18" wheels vs 17" on the LS430?
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    If the other companies have fully integrated phones with the LS then it's obvious that the lacking company is Verizon, not Lexus. Verizon was also last to the party on bluetooth. But I'm in the same boat as you and have the Motorola phone and have been with Verizon for 8 years. But my view is that the handsfree discussion is 90% of the value on bluetooth and I tend to receive, more so than make calls from the car anyway. I also tend to use cell phones while driving purely for business or calling my wife. Social discussions and driving should never go together imo.
  • mox1mox1 Posts: 24
    The V710 has problems and it is well known that it does not work with the LS 430. That is a problem with the phone and not with Lexus. Knowing this I got a Motorola V505 through cingular and it is outstanding. I have had it for more than a month and regularly use it with my 05 LS 430 without any problems whatsoever. The only thing is that intially when I uploaded the telephone book, I had to one entry at a time. But that is only once and it is only for about 18 entries which are the one touch ones. The other thing is that the names appeared backwards. Jack Smith would appear as Smith Jack. I have heard on this forum that if you get Sony-Ericsson, the entire phone book can be downloaded at once and the names apparently appear in proper order. My friends cannot make out that I am calling them thru the speaker phone in the car and when someone calls me I can clearly hear the phone ring and the audio of course mutes. Let me know if you have any more questions.
  • Thanks for the info. I did not mean to suggest that Lexus is the source of the problem. As I indicated in my first post to this forum a few days ago, this is my third Lexus, and I absolutely love the car. I'm just frustrated that there is something going on between Lexus and Verizon that they can't iron this out. And now I know that it is not just Lexus with which Verizon phones/service is showing incompatability issues. I searched the Edmunds boards and found that the problems are just as bad with the Verizon interface with the new Acura RL. Hopefully Verizon, Lexus and Motorola will put their collective heads together and get a solution out to the consumer sooner than later. I am simply not comfortable leaving Verizon for a different provider such as Cingular....yet.
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    From what I have read (as I recall, in Washington Post), it is just Verizon Wireless (VW) that has not fully implemented Bluetooth technology. Apparently, VW is concerned that if they fully implement all aspects of Bluetooth, people will be able to download other things (Get It Now games, ring tones) without paying VW that they are now making a lot of money on. Supposedly, VW is in the process of reviewing their policy on this, but I am guessing they are going to go slow for as long as they can get away with it. If you go to VW's web site http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/faq/bluetoothprofile.jsp you'll see that there are many aspects of Bluetooth that Verizon has not implemented, including "File Transfer", "Synchronization", etc.

If enough Verizon Wireless subscribers complain, maybe they'll do something about this sooner. I would hate to have to give up Verizon-- they still have the best system coverage according to every test.
  • My dealer offered me a 10,000.00 discount on a Flint/black leather, Levinson Stereo, Smart Key, 17 inch alloy wheels. Sticker: $65,594.00 on the brand new left over.

Is this a great deal??

I dont know if it's better taking the loaded 2004 minus 10,000.00

or

buying a 2005 with Premium package, listed at 57,000.00 and change.

The price difference is 1,500.00 between both vehicles when all is said and done.

I need a intelligent opinion, please.

THanks--Pete
  • mox1mox1 Posts: 24
    IMO one must get at least the Modern lux package in which lies most of the fun. The smart key, the Mark Levinson, the voice activated navigation, blue tooth phone make daily driving a pleasure. Just last month I managed to get 10% off MSRP on a 2005 LS w/ mod lux package. If you shop around you should be able to get a very similar deal where you live.
  • 18" wheels vs 17"- Your personal preference mostly.
    18" are a more performance oriented wheel/tire combination. The overall diameter is constant, so with 18" wheels you get one more inch of metal and one less inch of rubber. This extra metal and a stiffer sidewall give a little more responsiveness achieved by trading off a little stiffer (harsher) ride although not as much as with the sport package. Also the tires are less durable (note the tire life warning on cars with 18" wheels). The actual wheel is different as well, 5 vs 6 spoke and a slightly different finish. On my 2001 LS 16" was standard, and I had no problems or complaints about the ride or handling.
  • At 65K it sounds like a custom lux. You can take the middle ground and get an 05 modern lux (in your choice of color, although flint/black is beautiful).

Fun factor-- I agree with Mox1 - You definitely want at least the modern lux package ($5K for a ton of goodies)in either an 04 or 05, and can get them (05) well under 60K without much problem. Almost always comes bundled with with the separate options of Smart Key and a mat/wheel lock package, and many have 18" wheels also. The last two are around $200 each and the smart key is around $1K putting the sticker w/delivery at 62.7.
    The custom lux adds power door closers, dynamic cruise control and laminated (water repellant) side glass to the mod lux package for another 3K. Not as much bang for the additional 3K as what you get with the mod lux package for the first 5 IMO.

Money factor -
    If you lease the payment shouldn't be much different as you will be taking a big hit on the residual for an 04.

If you buy and trade every few years the same is true on the resale value. At least some of the discount will be given back when you trade in a car that is a year older, as used cars are treated like they have been in service since the first day of a model year.

If you buy and hold, then take the money. There are hardly any differences between the 04 and 05 (availability of 18" wheels outside the sport package is the only one I can think of, and I made the dealer swap them off my '05 for 17's..see previous post for why).

If for some reason you don't want to go for whatever the difference in cost is for an '05 with the package I would recommend the 04. Mark Levinson, the NAV/rear camera, Bluetooth, Park assist and cooled seats are worth it.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    as a lurker here, (because the LS is on my short list of potential Sedans someday)I am amazed at how much chatter you all can dedicate to your DVD Navigation system......which is pretty much useless information for me in gathering intelligence on the car as far as research. But, as long as you're all happy........
  • NV Banker:

If you will tell us what information you are looking for I am sure someone he will help you.