Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• 00boxsters00boxsters Posts: 202
    Glad to hear you enjoyed the LS430. I'd bet you know the ins/outs of prices paid on the LS430 as well as any of us without re-reviewing it!

As you know, I just picked up my LS430. It is silver/black. I really suggest you check out the 18" silver (non-chrome) wheels if you have not already seen the silver metallic with 18" wheels.
  • jfzjfz Posts: 45
    TSIB TC006-04 was performed on my 2004 LS430 today. I concur with the previous post that this redalibration of the ECM solves the problem.
  • I have crome wheels...Not wheel covers...
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    You're right. I know every deal made on this car that's been posted. You saw through that one! Even so, I will still re-read them. I can't wait 'til July when the games begin. My lease is up in early August. Another possibility is to extend my BMW lease 'til December so I can take advantage of the lower "December To Remember" money factor.
    According to kyfdx, BMW leases can be extended up to 4 or 5 months. Also, at that time, I would hopefully be able to negotiate a good cap. cost on a just out 2006 LS, being that this would be the last year for its design.

I will send out "feelers" in early July to Lexus dealers. If I can get a good deal by August on a 2005, then so be it.
    Otherwise, it's on to plan B and a December I will truly remember.
    Yeah. Chrome wheels. I'm still stuck in "Happy Days" with wheel covers!
    Anyhow, today was a happy day for me. I finally got to experience a real LS.
    Several weeks ago, a different dealership set me up with a real dud.
    Glad I was bothered enough to follow up elsewhere.
    According to the 2004 LS brochure, the sports package consisting of euro-tuned sports suspension and 18" polished-finish alloy wheels with P245/45R18 tires can be ordered for premium and modern luxury packages but not with ultra luxury or custom luxury packages.
    As long as the alloy wheels are not chrome, count me in on the sports package.
  • when I bought my lexus I was attracted to the fact that it is stately and not flashy...

The Silver color is a super choice...doesn't show dirt..Goes great with a varity of interior colors...Black is awesome with it. ( I think you said you liked black interior)
  • topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    Glad to hear it. I am really quite surprised and pleased as to what a difference it makes. I would really reccomend that anyone with this slight hesitation get this upgrade. To me it really has transformed the car.
    Yes. I like the black interior. But I think I will let the wife decide on the interior-black or ash. I could be happy with either.
    In Florida, the ash is probably more practical.
    As long as the exterior is mercury metallic.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    I hate to tell you this Hpowders but if you go with the LS430 you seem like a prime candidate to lose control of the car to the better half. Already happened to me and sv7887 is in process of losing control.
    With one major difference, lijflx. My wife, believe it or not, DOESN'T DRIVE!
    Is this a perfect scenario or what?
  • topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    Very interesting. I am wondering if perhaps the first LS you drove with the hesitation was due to the car needing the software upgrade that I referred to in an earlier post. This is the fix for the hesitation and the less than smooth acceleration. It is for all 04's and some 05's and available on request for owners who object to the slight pause and surge characteristic. It seems that most people aren't aware of this remedy or are not dissatisfied with this trait. (Thankfully, I read about the service bulletin on this site.) Like you, I came out of a BMW so this was a bit annoying to me and I was quite surprised as to the difference it has made. The car really punches forward instantly now. The Power mode, on the other hand did not solve this issue for me, so I would bet that the first car you drove was in need of the software download and the second was not. Steering is a little light compared to BMW and not as crisp in that department nor in cornering but it is a true luxury ride. And for me a big part of that is comfort, fit and finish and last but not least, the peace of mind of Never having to worry if some electronic gremlin is going to pop up at any moment which will cause you some major inconvenience. I Never worry about anything mechanical going wrong in this car.
    I believe the tradeoffs are fair coming from BMW.
    Very comfortable, smooth ride with a lot of power and very good seats.
    Yes, a little light on steering, but I quickly got used to it.
    It seems Lexus has fixed the hesitation problem because the LS I drove yesterday had great acceleration and the car was new-only 13 miles on it.
    If it wasn't for my current lease binding me 'til August, this car would have been mine.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Hpowders - If you want the Euro you may need some lead time to order it. Keep that in mind as you go forward.
    Okay. Good point, ljflx. I will keep that in mind.
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    "Having experienced the slight hesitation in my 04 LS 430 and reading in many places that it was inherent, part of the LS experience etc. I then came across a posting that told of a tech bulletin TSB TC006-04 for this symptom. I decided to stop in to my dealer today and he gladly performed this "computer download" to adjust the shifting. I drove home and found the car noticably crisper in accelerating and that annoying microscopic but perceptible pause seemed like it was gone. The power of information. Keep up the good work everyone."

I guess I can take credit for this one (see my posts in LS: Problems and Solutions #1416 on 2/15; Lexus LS #7168 on 3/9). Now even Bimmer-owners can enjoy the LS experience- right Howard?

BTW, an excellent source of info on TSBs for all makes is http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov ; you can search by year, make, then model. There are few other TSBs for the '04-early '05 LS that owners might find of interest.
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 334
    If you think you want the 18" with sport package, better drive it extensively and be sure that's what you want. My salesman made the switch for a customer from 17" to 18" and then had to switch them back. The customer was not happy with the 18" at all. I acknowledge that he did not get the sport package. I also understand that some of the dealers ordered the LS430 with 18" wheels and not the sport package? The 18" tires are a different breed of cat.
    Hey rgsw.
    Do you know why the customer was not happy with the 18" wheels?
    Please explain what you mean that the 18" are a different breed.
    Thanks.
    hpowders
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    I think this is a reference to the discussion that has been going on on this forum about the impact of the 18" vs. 17" tires on noise and vibration, etc.

Started around message #6903. Do a search on this forum on '18"' and you'll be able to easily see the issues.
  • sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    hpowders,
    Good to hear you liked the LS experience. One note about Silver. It is a very difficult car to keep "Shiny." My previous LS430 was the silver/black combo and when polished it didn't shine to well. (I used Autoglym polishes and 3M waxes)

Silver is one of those colors that lacks depth unlike black or navy blue. The best way is to use Zaino polishes. It will literally glow once you're done with it and the finish is very durable. It does look unnatural to some extent but it does make it eye catching.

I finally have gotten back to the US..5 Weeks in London was starting to get on my nerves. You'll never guess what my wife did..Once I got back in the house I quickly made way to the garage to have a look at my new car...I opened the driver door and she put THE CLUB on the steering wheel!!!!! She followed me downstairs with this evil grin on her face. "Nice to see you like MY new car!" Oh it's totally on now..I'll steal it back eventually. I swear she's going to get a Toyota Echo for doing this!!!

SV