Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Bookmark change doesn't work. Pat - must be programming change on Edmunds end. This has never happened before until the last 4 or 5 days.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    My 2003 LX470 has the v 02.1 DVD Nav. The current Nav version in the '06 LX should be 4.1 or 4.2, if my memory serves me. Is this correct ? Does any one know if the LX shares same DVD with the LS of the same year ? Is it a good idea to upgrade to current 2005 Nav version, or should I just hold off till 2006 release ? I feel the Nav misses location quite frequently sometimes by as much as a block away, which can be quite frustrating. OTOH, the HD-based Nav in my '99 LS has a far better accuracy than one in my 2003 LX. What gives ???

Unfortunately, the LX forum is one of the most *dead* forum on Edmunds ever, hence my asking here. Any help would be appreciated...

ps: All 2003 LX470 came with Lexus link transponder, although mine is not activated. If I want to, I can still activate it cos my insurance will give me 25% discount on my premium with activated Lexus link, so I am thinking, what the heck... Any thoughts on Lexus link from those who use it or not use it would be appreciated as well.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hmm, I'm not having any trouble at all using that. I've tried it several times in Firefox and in IE, with and without autologin.

Maybe you and ljflx should go to the Help link on the left and then the Contact Us tab and report it. You'll need to be as specific as you can be about your system - OS, browser, give them that link, etc.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Well, I have the Lexus Link activated on my LS, oac. But honestly, other than pushing the Services button once just to see what happened, I've never had occasion to use it. And I suppose (like insurance) that's a good thing. The gentleman who answered when I pushed, was very nice, and didn't even have an Indian accent.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Thanks nvbanker. A friend of mine has an '05 Escallade and loves the OnStar system (same as Lexus link). Says it is very useful for him.

BTW, found info on Lexus Navigation systems across all models and years. Hope it helps others who may have some quandary about their Nav version and upgrades....

link title
    I've been told that Lexus Link and OnStar are answered by the same operators at the same place - it's virtually one and the same system. That's what I've been told....
    Supposedly a dedicated Lexus staff using Onstar sites and communications/technology - at least that's the way it started in 2001.
  • a bit of corporate mixing. a little like "julius wile & sons."

i guess it may be obvious that i am gently threadjacking, but what i want is some information on wile & sons:

i found an undated bottle of benedictine that looks old, and i am trying to place it in a given decade.

it still bears the wile & sons tag - i thought maybe after wile & sons was absorbed they would stop putting a label on their bottles and thus give me a year range for this thing.

a little off thread but you're the only person i have found on google searching that seems might know something about the timing for that company disappearing.

anyways, yeah, onstar and wile - similar ?

;)
    Well, that works.....
  • I have the Motorola E815 and am trying to pair it on my Lexus 2006 GS300 I have Verizon and can't get the phone to ring through the car. What was done to make it ring through the car? Was there a specific ring tone that was chosen? Bluetooth is working fine except for the issue with it not ringing in the car. Any specifics or other ideas? :confuse:
    Well, this is a heck of a co-incidence but I once worked for Standard Brands and they owned Julius Wile & Sons (I actually knew the Wile family) back in the mid and late 70's. I still have a two compartment bottle of Bene/B&B from that era (I'd say 1977 or so) plus a 3 compartment Garnier that Wile also imported. But I don't know where all of Wile's products ended up. I know Benedictine went to Bacardi at some point, so look up Bacardi or parent relationships (assuming one might exist) of Bacardi to see if it gives you a transaction history, which might give you the date of ownership change. It would be after 1978. Back in the mid and late 70's Wile was a small importer of some real exotic liquors and wines, including Benedictine. I wish I could tell you how to locate a date plus I'd love to know what happened to the other great imports they had - Delamain cognac, the Garnier line which was heads and shoulders better than Marie Brizard and the Chanson and Prats Frer wines. The only other thing I could think of to tell age is the IR tax stamp. If it is somehow still attached to the bottle than it has a stamp number and by that stamp number you can trace it back to the time it got into the US. It was likely produced in a month or two month period before that paid tax stamp was put on the bottle.
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 333
    I have the Verizon/Motorola V710 BlueTooth phone. Originally, it would not ring in the car. I had the local Verizon store perform a software update last week. They did an in store update and it lost it's sync with the auto and had to be reinitiated. Works fine now. Maybe they have an update for your phone also???
  • thanks for the insight.

the bottle does bear the tax stamp on it, with a NY-I-610 on one side, and the number 718911247 on the other. it also says series 112 on it. all of which, is greek to me.

i did a yahoo search on this info to no avail.

but there was some positive result for delamain, by which i was intrigued.

http://www.delamain-cognac.com/

thanks, i'll keep looking. :)
  • Hello,
    I am considering a 1990 Lexus LS 400 with 65000 miles on it....An older couple had it and had all services done at the dealer, seems like a creampuff,Silver ext./burg.int... recently had the timing belt changed @ 60,000 miles...My question is this, they are asking 7,000 and that is over 1,000 above Edmunds TMV, and on KBB the retail is 8,300 with private party exc. at $6,400..Car listing sites seem to have these models for about $6-7000, with 120,000- 175000 miles on them.... The ratings speak of this first year model in high regard along with it being solid, vaultlike, smooth acceleration and tranny,...my question is is it worth such a premium over the TMV value?? I am also considering an Acura Legend 91 or 94 with similar miles and prices ($5,000-91, $7,000-94)...thanks to any or all for your comments or suggestions on what to watch out for on the Lexus...
    If it's really that clean, IMO, it's worth the money. At that age, it's fully depreciated out, and it's condition you're paying for. Do keep in mind though, that at that age, regardless of mileage, it's not going to be trouble free. These are very complex, and it's still 15 years old, despite the mileage. Stuff is gonna break.
  • Much thanks to you NVBanker! I appreciate your input...I am also considering a 94 Acura Legend with 64K for about the same money ($7,000)...you seem to be quite car knowledgeable ...if the Legend is in real good shape also do you think I should go for that as it is 4 years newer??? I am looking for a quiet ride...I have a Honda Accord 1990 that has wind noise around the drivers side door now...maybe I should just get new weatherstripping??? Though I have a 3rd child starting to drive,... Anyway, thanks again!!
  • sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    kersten,
    Glad to hear you are considering a LS400! You'll find this board full of Lexus owners who are more than happy to share their experiences with. I still have my first Lexus, a 1992 LS400 and can vouch for their long term dependability. This car sounds like it is in good shape, but as Nvbanker said, this is Still a 15 yr old car.

A couple of things to look out for:
    1) Make sure the 60K service has been done. Considering the timing belt has been done, this should be okay. It seems odd they didn't replace the Water Pump at the same time. (This is purely a precautionary move)

2) With a car this old, Suspension components may be in need of repair. Rubber gets brittle with age so it may be worthwhile to check out. If something does need repair, it won't be that expensive.

3) Power Steering Systems on this car are a trouble point. Make sure you change the fluid regularly. (Use Dextron ATF Fluid only!!! This is also written on the cap of the fluid reservoir) These pumps have a habit of leaking, but you can get a Re-Seal kit for them. You can tell if there is leak if you hear a whining/whirring when you turn the wheel fully from left to right.

4) Fluids are the lifeblood of this car. Do not take this car to Jiffy Lube! This car uses special lubricants that are unique to Toyota. Toyota dealers can change the fluids for you at a significant discount compared to the Lexus dealer.

5) I'm sure you noted how the display lights up when you start the car..The good news is that it is pretty to look at, but the bad news is that those needles can burn out with age. The dealer will claim you need to spend $1500 to replace it. The truth is you can have it repaired for about $350 (Just had to do this myself).

6) Learn to ask questions at the dealer. Unforunately Lexus dealers like to prey on unsuspecting customers and charge $$$ for needless repairs. Demand they show you what part is broken and ask for the old parts back (They MUST comply under law!) I nearly had to sue my dealer over something like this! Even though this is a Lexus dealer, the same rules apply regarding Dealership practices.

If you have any questions about the car, just ask on this board. We'll be more than happy to help you!

As for the LS400 vs Acura. I'm obviously biased considering I'm a Lexus owner, but I'd take the LS400 anyday. Not that the Acura is a bad car, but this LS400 was built to beat the best. This particular car changed the luxury car industry forever. (No hyperbole I assure you!) Toyota spend over $4 Billion developing this car, and they have not taken any shortcuts. I can tell you this car will be one of the best cars you'll ever own. (Even though repairs can be expensive!!!)

Hope this helps
    Sam
  • WOW!! It sure does help! Sam thank you very much for all of your feedback. I printed out your points to consider and to look for, along with NVbanker's thoughts....I go back to hopefully buy it tomorrow...
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    kerston, I owned a 1990 LS400 for 10 years and 145000 miles. This could be the best automobile ever built. Not me talking, I have read this several times, including on this board. Some things will obviously need attention, but I would not hesitate to buy this car if it is all you say it is. The condition and mileage sound almost to good to be true. Acura is a fine car,BUT no contender as compared to the LS400. IMHO. GOOD LUCK...........
  • pjekoopjekoo Posts: 14
    I have owned both a 1991 Acura Legend and the LS400. I can tell you that the Acura was a more reliable car for me, as it was trouble free to over 100K miles. I did have some trouble with my Lexus, such as the shocks being too soft, the torque converter going out, the water pump, the alternator. However, the Lexus was much smoother and quieter. There is simply no comparison. The acura was very rough shifting of of park and reverse. The road noise was also significantly more. Even with the extra trouble, I'd still prefer the Lexus. It is also a much more beautiful car.