Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• bcleepebcleepe Posts: 53
    That is why it is an option to suit personal preference.
  • nofeernofeer Posts: 380
    Ihave some improvements to the ls
    redesign the cruise control--it should be always on and just a flick of thefinger, allow it to resume speed even after a stop--stop and go, and changing lights wears me out.

AWD--it would then be perfect, have this as an option. my next car will be awd, or front drive with traction control, so i don't depend on others to get to work in the snow.
  • What model LS430 do you have? Mine is the Ultra-Lux (so I have the laser cruise control), and the cruise control does resume the previously set speed with just a flick of the finger even after a stop, so long as the engine isn't turned off.

It seems really strange that Lexus would make a cruise control that doesn't do that -- although come to think of it, I believe I recall reading the User Manual and being surprised that they described it as you said. Could it be that they discovered that Americans would consider that as a bug, but they fixed it only in the Ultra-Lux?
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Willard,I agree completely that:

"I have failed my mind game if I'm not watching closely enough, or paying enough attention to surrounding traffic, that the laser would have to intervene."

I'm sure to catch heat for this, but I believe that two categories of people in the driver's seat are: "Drivers" and "Operators", and that they are transported in "Machines" and "Appliances". One person's machine is another's appliance.

I also believe that they have equal rights to the road, and the manufacturers must strive to satisfy them both.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    I didn't mean to disparage laser cruise control at all, when I do get my next LS, if I ever do, it will likely include this option. But then I'll have to figure out a way to have an indication that the laser has intervened and I have lost the game.

Machine vs appliance, which is which, between my 2001 AWD 911 w/PSM and my 2000 GS300 w/VSC, TRAC, etc?
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    I believe it depends entirely on the how the owner/operator views the vehicle.

I suspect that all of yours are machines.
  • trentpatrentpa Posts: 26
    I preface this post with the caveat that I indeed am an idiot when it comes to car maintenance, but here's my question. I took delivery of my 2001 LS430 in May 2001 and it had the 17" tires. It now has just over 12,000 miles on it. Last night, we got 6" of snow, and the roads this morning were generally OK, with a few bad spots. The car slipped a little on the residential roads, but nothing excessive. Should I be getting rid of my tires (with only 12,000 miles)? I seem to recall an earlier post saying that the life of the factory 17" tires was only 10,000 miles. Thanks for any advice.
    Which will outlast the other? If you're in Atlanta this week your tires likely will, but if you're north of the (normal) snowline then toss the tires or get wintertime temps.

Actually remaining tread depth should be the determining factor about your current tires and if you feel you might have to endure even more of the white stuff this winter a second set of tires, wintertime, with inexpensive wheels, would be a very good idea.
  • Debating on whether to trade my 2001 Audi A6 for a 2002 LS. I cannot decide between the NAV/LEV and an Ultra. Why don't the front seats massage too? Is the Lexus Link a service of Onstar?

Thanks,
    Scott

P.S. Available colors are white and platinum blue
  • trentpatrentpa Posts: 26
    I was in the same position, and opted for a NAV/LEV because couldn't justify the added cost of the Ultra, particularly since many of the benefits go to the back seat passengers. Last I heard, Lexus subcontracts the Lexus Link service with the same people that provide OnStar and it's a very similar, if not identical, service. Think the LS430 looks great in any color, but I'd vote for the blue because it's a new color for 2002.
  • In addition to the back seat conveniences, I like the powered sunshade for the rear window as well as the shades(manual) for the side windows. The UL has the rear ac unit , laser control and the Park Assist {I really like this feature). Also included is the Air suspension.

If you do not like the back seat massagers etc., look into the CL {Custom Luxury Package} which is the Ultra minus the back seat convenience groups.
  • My favorite Ultra feature is the park assist. Are the dealerships stocking any Custom Luxury Package cars? I haven't seen any yet..

Thanks for your input,
    Scott in FL
    I have the Customer Luxury package. The park assist is included together with laser cruise, ML sounds, rear window shade, rear seat heat, front seat AC and more. For $7K less than Ultra Luxury, it is even better than the NAG/LEV options.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    Bcleepe... If I read your post correctly it says you have the customer luxury package and it includes the Levinson sound system but NOT the nav.system. Is this correct? If so, do you have the nav. screen in the dash. Thanx... I am confused because every car I have seen with the Levinson sound has the nav. also. I await your reply..
    It is included and Lexus Link too.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    Bcleepe...Thank you for your response. Best of luck with your car. The LS430 is absolutely outstanding.
    You're welcome. We love it. For the price, it beats out BMW and MZB of comparable class, both in comfort and reliability. My brother and sisters own BMW and MZB are both considering LS430 for their next cars.
  • My Florida dealerships says that the Custom isn't available now. Perhaps they just want me to buy an Ultra, however, I've never seen a Custom on the lot.
    They're like the DVD update, arrival/avaibility keep getting moved further out.
  • day after the 2/3 inch snow fall here in new york, took out the LS430 with the 17 inch summer tires...These tires were NOT meant for snow, and perform accordingly. The car was unable to make it up a trivial hill, and just rolled right back down, getting stuck at the bottom...also although the skid control does its best, the the car slips excessively even on straight pavement, creating a dangerous situation....i would strongly reccomend exchanging these during the winter for all season tires or leaving the car in the garage after a snow storm.

also, should i be worried about road/rock salt damaging my car? this is not a lease car, and i plan on keeping it for a few years, and i do not want rust to develop after a few years. It is considerably covered with those elements right now, and plan no getting it washed as soon as the snow/ice melts completely..from now on, i plan on leaving it in the garage, before/after it snows.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,675
    Anyone familiar with how Lexus is handling the renewal process of Lexus link? I renewed before Christmas but haven't been billed as yet.

Agent 0986 - we had an inch of that white stuff in Monmouth county and the all season tires handled it just fine. Salt did not hurt my car last winter and I doubt it will hurt yours. Just watch it though when you're on the highway in motion and the salter is putting it down. That's when its bouncing around like small stones.
  • whybuy1whybuy1 Posts: 43
    I drove my LS430 on the snow in the Sierra Nevada for the first time. I used cable chains. It drove like a RWD car, i.e. with a lot more sliding around than a FWD car. I was happy to find that the skid sensor was about as sensitive as my own senses. I don't know about which is better after you lose control, but the way I drive, FWD is hands-down better on snow. I rent a Caddy DeVille when I go spend Christmas withy the in-laws in the Midwest. I don't even need chains and I let Hertz worry about the salt. None of this is rocket science.
    My wife and I had our eyes on this package when LS was first announced. We don't care much about the Ultra Luxury for it is more suited to those with a chauffeur. According to the dealer, none of the CLS was shiped to the US in the first year. We had the dealer searched around the Country for a dealer trade and none was found. Then one day last August when we dropped by a dealer, we saw one LS with one of our color preferences. When we made a closer look, it turned out to be the exact package that we had been shopping around for, except without chrome wheels. The dealer told us then that it was the first came in just the day before with that package for 2002 year model. We also wanted to check the new blue color available for 2002 but the dealer said there were none scheduled for next two shipments. So we bought it right on the spot and added the chrome wheels to it. It is worth the year wait for it. Since then we have been back to the dealers a couple times for services and saw a couple LS available with the same CLS package. I suppose that it will spread around the country too.
  • I'll be shopping for my first Lexus and was wondering if anyone had any input (positive or negative) on Chicago Area Lexus dealers. Thanks in advance for any information.
  • Does anyone use the rear-air or cool box in their Ultra? These both seem superfluous to me. Why don't the front seats have the massage feature?

BTW, I might buy one tomorrow--finally.
  • It is not what you would hope for. Will basicly only hold cans. Too bad about the non vibrating front seats. All the other features are great. Tony
  • Coolrich 59, I purchased my LS 430 at Rockford last March and got a great price. At the time, my local dealers (NW suburbs) were still selling at sticker. Rockford discounted the price by $3,500.00.

I have had an inordinately large number of problems with this vehicle, which I have discussed earlier on this board. Lexus's reply has been that they will provide Lemon protection only to the extent that they are obliged to by law, i.e. Lexus's policy is that it will provide no more Lemon protection for this $60,000 vehicle than would be provided if one were to purchase a much less expensive Dodge Neon.

I live in Arlington Heights and have had the vehicle serviced locally. The problems with this car have been Lexus-related rather than dealer-related. Arlington Lexus has provided friendly, professional service for a car which has been nothing but a series of annoyances.

I have had to take the car back more than once for similar problems, e.g. bad bearings, burned-out taillights, steering wheel groaning. Most recently I was told that a part required for the steering wheel groan was not in when I took the vehicle in for servicing. I am now obliged to take yet another trip to the dealership when that part arrives.

Given my repeated problems with this vehicle and the need for multiple trips for servicing, in retrospect, I would have purchased a Mercedes Benz, simply because I live very close to a Mercedes dealership which is on the way to my train station. However, if you are interested in purchasing a Lexus, I would check to see whether the prospective dealer has a policy whereby the dealer will pick up the vehicle at your home and provide a loaner. That would have been a lot more convenient than the pain in the neck that driving this vehicle in for servicing, repeatedly, has turned into.

Good luck.
  • I am looking forward to many trouble-free miles.

Scott in Florida
  • I am sure you will enjoy the car. This is the best one lexus has made, and I sure enjoy mine. Tony
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Stay away from Lexus of Highland Park at all costs.

My family has purchased three cars from them over the years. Then, last year, I decided I wanted to trade my 1995 ES 300 for the all-new 2002 model. The owner, Ray Nusinow, got involved in the deal and offered me a nice discount. When October rolled around and the car was officially available, my salesman special ordered me a car (I wanted the adjustable suspension and traction control which required an order). Much to my shock, five weeks later Ray Nusinow backed out and said I could only get the car if I paid list price. The guy was playing games just to get me to order the car. And he outright lied and claims he never offered a discount. Yeah, right. I made the whole thing up.

To make a long story short, I wound up getting in touch with some top Lexus people due to an owner's focus group I attended last year. My order was transferred to another dealer.

Ray Nusinow is a criminal as far as I'm concerned, out only to add dollars to his own pocket. For those in the area, he used to own Ray Oldsmobile.