Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• allan441allan441 Posts: 15
    The 16 inch standard tires on my 2001 LS 430 will need to be replaced soon. Does any one have any experience with Michelin MXV4 Plus? I want to upgrade to 17 inch tires. Would 225/77/R17 or 235/55/R17 be better? I was told that the 235/55 has a larger "foot print". Will this influence the ride? Currently the ride is excellent, but again I was told that the increase in tire size will give me better handling, without comprimising the ride.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • hage45hage45 Posts: 13
    I currently have "summer tires" Dunlop SP Sport 225/55HR-17 and I am thinking of replacing them with all season Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 225/55 W-17. I assume this will enhance handling, but was will be the impact on ride quality and/or noise? Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • barry5barry5 Posts: 49
    I am also thinking of removing my summer tires as I believe they are unsafe in snow. I have been considering the
    Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus Tire H-Speed Rated. Does anyone have experience with this tire. Is it Quiet, how does it do in snow?
  • The local dealer just got in a '99 LS400 with just under 15,000 miles. Beautiful condition w/Chrome Wheels,Moonroof, Nakamichi Sound. I was very impressed with the car when I test drove it today. It comes with the Certified Pre-Owned Warranty and is priced at $38,900. I think this is a fair price for the car and I plan to buy it pending my final inspection after they correct a few minor cosmetic flaws. Any inputs from the regulars to this forum on the pricing of this car would be appreciated. Looking forward to owning my first Lexus - I've wanted one ever since I test drove a 1990 LS400.
  • I just replaced the factory Dunlop SP270's with Bridgestone Turenza Z Revo's from Tirerack.com. What a difference. The car handles MUCH better and corners without any tire squeal. The ride is a bit harsher, but wouldn't be noticeable to a passenger. I would recommend these tires over the Michelin or Dunlops any day.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    You might want to check Kelley Blue Book (www.kbb.com). Wouldn't tell you what is fair, but what others have considered fair.
  • feverhartfeverhart Posts: 144
    My choice, too.
  • hage45hage45 Posts: 13
    Per Tirerack, the Bridgestone Turenza Z Revo has been discontinued, what's your second choice?
  • jefftpjefftp Posts: 11
    Rusty:

I just spent 3 months shopping for a similar vintage LS.
    That is a VERY GOOD price. You could easily pay that for '98 with twice the miles. Plus, if you have the chance to get the Nakamichi, do it. I could not get one w/ the Nakamichi and the stock Pioneer system is a real downer...
  • I took a road trip, my wife`s sport util. rx300, and my battery operated passport. I am not sure if there are as many police as I imagined. It rarely went off, and sometimes I saw police parked and it never went off. It was a nice mental feeling that I would have some warning, but in reality I am the hunted and the highway men are the hunters. I averaged about four miles per hour better, but if my luck was not in force I am afraid a ticket may be in my future. Some police were parked facing streight across the highway, and I wonder if the detector would ever pick up a beam or ray? The unmarked camaros [non-permissible content removed] backwards, and if I were not just about to bear off the I26 onto I95, I would have possibly, make that likely, gotten stopped. One time the radar detector turned it self off, and I went past a sherrif, again because of traffic , nothing. Everyone talks about all this horsepower and aceleration, but in truth a ticket is a painful experience. I would like to hear anyone`s opinion on a radar detector. Thanks Tony
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Useless, waste of money.

Watch brake lights ahead instead.
    Get a Valentine One. It's saved me a wad and it's worth the $400. Brake lights may help if their's a car in front of you and only if that car isn't already caught. It won't help if you are being shot from the rear. Still it's wise not to be the leader of the pack or the back door. Also be wary of exit ramps by rear viewing as you pass them. Then too, there's VASCAR and laser. Keep an eyr on overpasses and side of the road far ahead. Helps make you a safer driver with all that mental alertness.
    Feverhart, does the Valentine One give you enough warning so you can slow down before they detect you? I always thought that by the time you see them, they have already clocked you.

But I agree that eternal vigilance makes you a better driver.
    There are several bands used. The "instant-on" aimed at you will give a warning but too late, unless you are rapidly decellerating. Slowing up at that time will not allow an accurate reading; it must be locked on. If it's aimed at the car(s) in front of you, the signal gives you opportunity to slow down. Most of the radars, however, are operating constantly and there is plenty of warning.

Advantages of the Valentine One are that it is not only extremely sensitive, but will tell you if the radar signal is coming from the front or back and it also tell you the number of hits.

The stealth feature is especially nice if you forget to turn it off in those communities where detectors are illegal. In those communities there are radar detector detectors that can sence most operating detectors for which the driver is fined and/or the detector is confiscated,

Be aware though that the detector will not alert you to a police car that doesn't have radar and many do not.
  • tdo123tdo123 Posts: 102
    I use a valentine also, but let's get back to Lexus talk.
    Sorry you were offended or chagined. I was simply responding to questions asked. Speed is deceptive in the LS and detectors have their place and in my opinion is relevant.
  • Maybe you would contribute about your experiences with your ls430, and how radar saved you from arrest, or ticket? Tony
  • barry5barry5 Posts: 49
    I USE A SOLO CORDLESS AND IT HAS SAVED ME MANY A TIME...THE COST 199 IS VERY INEXPENSIVE COMPARED TO TICKETS AND INSURANCE PREMIUM INCREASES,

NOW BACK TO TIRES, OK NOW THAT BRIDGESTONE TURENZA IS GONE WHAT ABOUT MICHELIN 225/55R/17/H ANY INFORMATION? WILL ACCEPT ALL BRANDS AS LONG AS THEY ARE ALL SEASON AND QUIET AND GOOD IN SNOW.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    I've ridden in the Euro suspension Lexus LS430 and found that the car was exceptionally quiet as well. I would assume the 17" tires on the Euro can also be put on the base car. Anyone know otherwise? Also does the ultra and custom lux come with 16" or 17" tires?
  • whybuy1whybuy1 Posts: 43
    As a Lexus LS owner I, of course, value quiet. Some tires are quieter than others. What are the other owners' experience with the quietness of various replacement tires for the LS 430 with 17" wheels?
  • I have had my car for two months now, and I am delighted with it. I haven't had a problem and am enjoying all the Ultra features. I may actually keep this car a couple years. :)

Scott
    When I got my Ultra, the rule was it comes with 16" wheels, but for $100 extra you get the 17" wheels which are supposed to give you better handling, at the cost of being a little less quiet.

Renny
  • pcolamanpcolaman Posts: 2
    Hello Everyone, my wife and I just purchased our first Lexus LS400. It is a 1998 model with 42,500 miles. The vehicle looks and drives like it just came off the factory floor!

The four year warranty period has expired for this vehicle so my question is should we go to the expense of purchasing an extended warranty? If so, can anyone suggest a vendor for this service? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
  • tdi90hptdi90hp Posts: 20
    Best place for a warranty is your dealer. warranties are a personnal decision in general powertrains are very strong but one electronic gremlin could pay for whole warranty so your call. Remember that the dealer builds in up to 1000 dollars profit in some warranties so they are definitely negotiable and if your dealer wont budge call other dealers. Does not matter which dealer you buy it from.
    I have a question now. To ALL older LS owners.
    Please need a reply to whatI think is a very important issue. All older LS's seem to clack a lot a idle. Obviously from a valvetrain that may need adjustment Anyone I have heard with over 60k tends to clack. Has anyone had the valves adjusted, shims replaced or anything like that, is it necessary??? Am I worrying for nothing. My 92 has 180,000kms on it and does not burn a drop of oil but wondering about the "clacking"....
    Please anyone with experience on this get back asap. Thanks. Love my 92. sandstone with Trac and Nakamichi.Claude
  • the LS is going to have a MAJOR facelift this fall! The car will be almost redesigned. What are you guys hearing?
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    Someone on the GS board started that thread and had data about many Lexus models. He certainly seemed knowledgable. Perhaps if the person checks this board he can give us more data. I've not read anything anywhere about this. If true wouldn't Lexus be publicizing this at the auto shows rather than just serving up the GX470.
  • I have a '98 LS400 that I purchased about a year ago. This is our second Lexus (still have the '93 GS300). Outstanding automobiles. My concern is the Navigation System on the LS400. As that touch-screen system operates some key functions, I would be interested in hearing personal opinions and experiences regarding its reliability and service history. With the vehicle still under warranty this is not a pressing issue but as end-of-warranty approaches I apply increasing importance to that as a vehicle trade-in justification. However, at this point, that would be the only justification. Otherwise, the car has been flawless. Thanks.
  • blehrlichblehrlich Posts: 92
    After recent journeys through an MB S500 and Audi A6 4.2, I'm about to rejoin the Lexus club with a Midnight Pine LS 430 (ML/Nav pkg.). The MB was a beautifully riding car, with a great. responsive engine, but the interior quality was incredibly poor, especially the various plastic materials around the front seats. I went through three seat frames, with the dealer finally telling me that I was just "too large" (at 6'3", 240 lbs., I'm not small, but that's ridiculous).
    The Audi, with quattro, was great to drive, especially in bad weather, but my kidneys are sore from the ride, and the electrical gremlins, road noise, and the need for more rear seat room (I don't like the A8), helped my decision.
    I look forward to more postings about my experiences, and it's nice to not have to be a lurker.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Doing the facelift in 2003 would break with past practice. The original 1990 car was freshened in 1993 (i.e., year four). The 1995 ls was freshened in 1998, also year four. If they freshened the 2001 car in 2003, it would be only year three.

Personally I would welcome them doing it in 2003 as I hope to buy a new ls around next january. If anyone has heard anything substantive and hopefully credible on this subject, please post it.
  • blehrlichblehrlich Posts: 92
    My dealer/friend said nothing for this year...concentration is on new upcoming GS and GX SUV.