Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• edarteedarte Posts: 41
    drcomputer:
    That sensor replacement info is much appreciated.
    Thanks
  • yamahar6yamahar6 Posts: 23
    Actually, I am pretty sure that the LS430 does have the adjuster; do you mean something to prevent tall containers from falling over or just for width, like so it can fit a coke can or a 1 litre bottle?

I am quite sure that the LS has the width ratchet adjusters; mind you, i live in Canada so its possible that a few detail options could be different. ... I just checked and it has width expanders but not a ratched, but an improvement from the last LS, that just had "one size fits all" cupholders.

But I rarely "drink and drive" so they don't really bother me. :>)
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Posts: 125
    You are correct, the LS430's have cup holder adjusters for width but not height. They hold a can of soda or any size Starbucks coffee quite nicely.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • kjack100kjack100 Posts: 133
    Thanks for the tips on the color. Finally saw an LX470 and the LS 400 in the color. The LS looks fantastic in the color. The LX470 looks a lot greener I guess since it is offset by the gray cladding. So, going with something else. Again, thanks for the input.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    On the LX470 the arm bends inward so that it holds a narrower bottle, cup or can more tightly. On the LS430 the flex seems only to bend outward or am I missing something.

ect power switch - do most of you only use it when needed or do you tend to ride around with it always on?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    On my 00 GS300 I leave it in snow to avoid the forward surge at throttle dip-in.
  • trentpatrentpa Posts: 26
    I leave the "power" switch on when in stop-and-go driving (provides for quicker pickups and downshifts) but off on trips. Never used it in snow mode (wwest's comments make sense), but will give it a try tonight.
  • jbrauniljbraunil Posts: 3
    to: Rkim7102

I'm shopping for a 430 now. What was the dealer you used in Chicago?
  • Just "ordered" my first Lexus yesterday, an LS430 Custom Luxury for $59,730. Everything the dealer has on his lot is "pre-sold" so he will have to search around for one. I gave him several choices in color/trim combinations to look for. I also told him that I needed it in three weeks to take on vacation. What's the chance he'll be able to find something within this time frame? I live near St. Louis. Also, since I'm currently driving a Toyota, I asked him for a $1000 "Customer Loyalty Rebate". He told me those were only good for the RX300. Did I get ripped on the rebate? This is a Lexus Elite Dealer.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A major daily newspaper is looking for people who bought used luxury cars with the idea of moving upscale at discounted prices only to find out that the cost of parts and service was greater than expected. Were you surprised or shocked by the cost of routine maintenance and common repairs like mufflers, brakes, shocks and struts, transmissions, headlight replacement, etc.?

If so, please send an e-mail containing your contact information and vehicle description to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 12.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• slexyslexy Posts: 31
    Has anyone with a Euro put the new Yokohama db tires on to replace the Dunlaps or do they not come in the exact same size? I was going to use the Bridgestone tires talked about in this forum, but someone said that they no longer make the Revo or the Pole Position or the Taurenza in any good replacement model? I may stay with the Dunlaps, since I have 25,000 mi. on them with maybe 3,000 to 5,000 more miles left (4/32ths left from 10/32ths to start). I have been pleased with them overall, but I am always looking for a quieter, better riding, longer lasting, less expensive tire. Also, when I looked at tirerack.com, I saw slight differences in width of tire which on other possible replacement tires may cause me to put air in the tires more often? Is this true?

My mechanic explained that the $75.00 brake sensors (one on the right front and one on the right rear) are further out from the rotors than in the past, since too many people were going too many miles past when the warning light came on, so there may be as much as 2 milimeters of "safe" wear after the sensor light comes on. But, if you risk damaging the very expensive rotors, you will have to put up with seeing the warning light on all the time. My "lite brake foot" is getting about 1 milimeter of pad wear per 5,000 miles. Has anyone gone beyond the warning light coming on? If so, how many miles, and was there any damage to the rotors? I understand that the rear brakes don't last like my 1990 LS 400 rear pads do. I was told that there are 4 pistons on the front brakes, and less on the rear. Therefore the rear pads are smaller and have less pad to wear down. Has anyone else been told this? Thanks in advance.
  • nealm1nealm1 Posts: 154
    Edmunds just provided a link to the TSB page at NTSA, and this is the data there for the "groan" TSB. A number of other TSBs on the LS; it is worth a look.

Make: LEXUS Model: LS430 Year: 2001

Service Bulletin Number: ST00301 Bulletin Sequence Number: 627 Date of Bulletin: 09/01

NHTSA Item Number: SB627076
    Component: STEERING:COLUMN
  • johng14johng14 Posts: 31
    Can someone help me on how to keep the temperature control on without having the fan turned on. I will like to increase or decrease the temperature without turning on the climate control.
    I assume you wish to use the cabi air flow-through aspects of the system rather than having the fan "force" the flow.

You could simply use the blower speed control to reduce its speed to zero, or very close thereof.

BUT...

Many new cars, especially Lexus, keep their MPG rating up by severely reducing the level of atmospheric "outflow" at the rear of the car. If there is no, or minimum outflow, then the already "conditioned" atmosphere remains within the cabin for a longer period thus reducing the cycling rate of the A/C compressor (5 to 7HP).
  • johng14johng14 Posts: 31
    If I set the speed to zero the temperature for driver and passenger also turns off.
    Hadn't noticed that but my guess would be that Lexus/Denso engineers know that the temperature control aspects of the system would be non-functional (not enough "natural" cabin flow-through) and chose this method of preventing you from attempting to use this mode.

Are you trying to do this becuase the blower noise is irritating and/or distracting?

I installed four small 12 volt "muffin" fans in the left and right rear quarter panels of my 92 LS for use as atmospheric "extraction" fans for an entirely different reason. You could do the same and just disconnect, remove the fuse, the system blower.
  • eadlueadlu Posts: 13
    I own a 2002 LS 430 with the Euro suspension and it came with Dunlap 2800 Sport tires which have a wear rating of 360. This particular tire may be new for this year Tirerack.com has them listed at $230. or a bit more. I perceive them as being quiet running except on rough surfaces where I think any tire would be noisy. If this is a different tire than you have it may be worth your time to drive a demo with those tires. I am encouraged that you will probably get over 30000 miles on your tires. I am not an aggressive driver so maybe I will do as well. As for the brake pads I would never take a chance of damaging the rotors just to get a couple of thousand more miles on the pads.
    Thanks for the response, eadlu. My Dunlops are the SP 270's with the same wear rating and probably about the same price on tirerack.com. It may be the same tire with a new name? But, the Bridgestones may get more than 30K mi.(Revo's were rated for 40,000 mil.) and cost about $180 which means a $200 savings on four tires.

I also would not take a chance on damaging the rotors, but at an extra 10,000 mi. (5,000 per one milimeter), and then I was told there are still 2 milimeters before you get to the rotors, it may pay to go for awhile after the warning light comes on? In other words there are about 4 milimeters of pad wear from the time the light comes on till you hit the rotor. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks.
  • eadlueadlu Posts: 13
    Sorry-my tires are 270's too. I guess I was having a "senior moment" when I typed post 2900.
    Thanks for the response, eadlu. My Dunlops are the SP 270's with the same wear rating and probably about the same price on tirerack.com. It may be the same tire with a new name? But, the Bridgestones may get more than 30K mi.(Revo's were rated for 40,000 mil.) and cost about $180 which means a $200 savings on four tires.

I also would not take a chance on damaging the rotors, but at an extra 10,000 mi. (5,000 per one milimeter), and then I was told there are still 2 milimeters before you get to the rotors, it may pay to go for awhile after the warning light comes on? In other words there are about 4 milimeters of pad wear from the time the light comes on till you hit the rotor. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks.
  • tdo123tdo123 Posts: 102
    stlouisslim - I would have to say that is a fantastic price for the car. I assume it has the chrome 17' wheels, etc. If I read your screen name correctly, you are in St. Louis and that blows away what they can do here in Kansas City. We do, however, price much better than they do on the coasts from what I see in the posts.
  • tdo123: Actually I went with the all season tires. I don't throw a car around curves as much as in my Triumph Spitfire days and I'm much more into a smooth ride. Also, I'd like to get more than 15,000 miles on a set of tires. My real concern is whether the dealer can get the car here in 3 weeks.
  • chitungchitung Posts: 18
    Lexus is too cheap for not to have rear-view mirror memory like MB. What's wrong? A luxury car can't be like that. Lexus must implement this in their both ES and LS models.
  • OK, my Custom Lux is coming in two weeks with more do-dads than I ordered. It's Black Onyx/Bordeux Maple with Euro Suspension and Chrome Wheels. Dealer said that since he already gave me $3600 off, he would have to charge list price for the wheels. But he said that he might be able to switch them for standard wheels if he could find another buyer to swap with. How much better does the chrome look? Also, my wife is thinking of the gold trim package. How much is that? How does it look with black? Jeez, this is the same way we ended up with the world's most expensive Saturn three years ago.

Slim
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Posts: 125
    In my opinion the gold package looks great with Black...and I think it's only about $200 or so. Go for it, particularly if it will make the wife happy.
    As for the chrome wheels, I preferred them and got them on my silver 02 LS w/ custom lux pkg. But I think the dealer is trying to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. If he/she really wants to sell a car that meets your needs, they should be able to swap out the wheels in any direction. For example, my car came from Japan without the chromes, but it only took them a nanosecond to figure how to put them on. So, it shouldn't take much more time for them to figure out how to take the chromes off. They're trying to make a few bucks off you. My advise is...keep pushing or go somewhere else!!
  • OK, I think I've figured out the wheels. Now I need to work on the Gold. Anybody know exactly what's in a Gold Trim Kit for an LS430? Anybody know its invoice/list/TMV cost. Thanks
    you add the gold just completely debadge it, completely dark car with chrome wheels would be stunning.

You could always add the gold later when you enter the world's oldest trade.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    They were silent on 2003 LS430 changes in the most recent mailing I received. Never even mentioned the car in the future changes section. But they hinted that we are in for further changes in the 2003 line than the ones they mentioned.

Gold package - I had it on the 98 LS400 and though I liked it at first (exterior color was black) I actually got tired of it rather quickly and thought it cheapened the car. Just my opinion but make sure you think it'll have staying power with you before you take it. I got them to throw it in free but in the end wished I had passed on it and my wife felt the same way.
  • feverhartfeverhart Posts: 144
    On the other hand, my wife's 98 LS400 and my LS430 both have the gold package. I think it looks stunning and adds to the appearance.

Of course that is just a personal preference like my definate preference for the external shape of the LS430 over the S500. (I saw a green S500 in the parking lot the other day and thought the LS430 to be much bolder and distinctive in appearance).