Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• I was interested in finding out what people have been paying for this vehicle. I am in the market but not a good negotiator, hope you can help and post your prices before taxes and tags.

Thanks
  • Priggly, Your enthusiasm is great - you clearly like the 2011 JGC. It is also transparent. It would be great if posters on this site were not motivated by other interests. To overly hype one vehicle while dumping bombastic rhetoric over another to serve one's self is at best annoying. It is also misleading to those of us looking for an honest independent discussion. ;)
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 643
    I find your comments disingenuous and erroneous. My JGC comments are based on FACTS as I have investigated them. I drove SIX (6) different vehicles before ordering one.

You want "bombastic rhetoric?" Go to the well-known (by now) Subaru Outback board and read of the hundreds of negative comments and how the owners/buyers are being humored and "encouraged" into tolerating intolerable vehicles. They are quite frankly being conned.

You say you want honesty. There are hundreds of pages of "honesty" on that other board. If that is "self-serving" I suggest you are light years away from either objectivity or reality.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    Shall we get back to talking about the JGC? Readers are pretty good about separating the wheat from the chaff in the messages. Thanks.
  • I have a 1999 Limited JGC w the V8 (4.7) and am trying to decide on the 2011 V6 versus V8 version. I love my current V8 (nearly 200,000 miles on it) and am sure I would love owning the 2011 w the Hemi (especially after test driving for nearly an hour) but cost is definitely a factor for me. It seems that people purchasing/leasing and the lower listed financing options all point towards dealers "playing ball" more on the V6/Laredo versions. I saw Priggly mention the added gears on the tranny and how that could help with gas mileage. Does anyone know if that is an addition that is definitely in the works or is it just wishful thinking at this point? No chance it happens on the 2012's, right? That would certainly help with the gas mileage on the Hemi and make this an easier decision since I like the vented seats, interior trim, auto-start and wheels that come with the Limited/Overland configs.
  • I have the 5.7L hemi Overland. Love the power and all the options. I live in Philadelphia, so I do a lot of city driving, and some highway to get to work. Average mpg is around 15. Cruisin on the highway at 80, I usually get around 18mpg.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnF-LpBZFqY&feature=fvw

The new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, especially in Limited and Overland configurations, are going to turn out to be the leaders of the class.

They already are.

And built in America, too, in Detroit at the North Jefferson Assembly Plant.
  • The 2011 is very nice but I didn't buy one yet. I hope the 2012 will have a larger Nav system, steering wheel not so thick, softer buttons and a cover over the drink cup holders. I am also hoping that some designer at Jeep reads this post and agrees with me!
  • I'm hoping they will put leather on the steering wheel that feels like leather and not hard plastic to the touch.....I also hope they replace that 1982 style base stereo with something more modern looking - ruins an otherwise beautiful dash!
  • Will someone tell Chrysler that for that price, I will get a BMW instead! Man, nice looking whip but severly overpriced. I doubt they're selling well, for I have only seen a few on the streets. They should be 10k cheaper...
    The fact of the matter is that the JGC is NOT overpriced, the dollar is UNDERPRICED and getting worse weekly, thanks to Obama and friends Geithner and Bernanke. Did you know the dollar lost 7% last week alone?

And as far as BMW is concerned, their prices are even worse. $10,000 MORE for the new X3 compared to the Overland. Got to pay those high German pensions, ya know.
    The tranny does not have "added gears" as far as I know, just the conventional five.

What happens is that when the HEMI is not under load, it reduces to 4 cylinders from 8 and this results in added fuel economy. I have the same thing on my 2006 Chevy Impala SS and it works seamlessly an beautifully, not to mention effectively.
    Yes, by all means trade it in (to a willing buyer, of which there will be many). We are all getting tired of your moaning and bitching about the car which is a perfectly fine vehicle.

I drove six (6) before ordering mine and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the seats, in fact, they were high-end.

You must know little about cars because you think it is abnormal to hear a "thump thump" with the windows down. ALL cars do that.

You have an obvious bias against the car so go get yourself a quality-lessening Toyota and be satisfied.
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 296
    I drove an Overland V6 over the weekend, nice vehicle but it was lacking some power. It was adequate but by no means what I would expect from a $42,000 vehicle. It was quieter than my 2008 4Runner, ride was comparable. The main negative was a Check Engine light that was on, I was actually surprised the salesman brought it around to drive with the light on, but when I mentioned it he said, "Oh as long as it's not flashing we're OK." I remarked how it wasn't really comforting for a brand new vehicle with 21 miles on it to have the light on and he said it was just because the gas cap wasn't tight. He may have been right but it didn't instill confidence.

The final killer was the residual on the lease rates, at 43% the lease was near $750 per month, and while it's a nice vehicle, you can get a lot more for your money at that price. I'm hoping the 8 speed transmission makes its way into the 2012 and helps with the power issue, but that probably won't be enough to get me into one.

I wish the residuals were better and the Check Engine light hadn't been on, if so I'd probably be leasing one today.
  • Yes, I agree with you, re: steering wheel.
  • jjp550jjp550 Posts: 3
    I bought a2011 v6 with check engine light on and they said nothing to worry about probably gas cap , now they dont know what to do to fix it I'm waiting to get it fixed
    I regret you who have test-driven the V-6 have had problems. I would not have driven the 6 either. The gold in this engine is in the HEMI. It is a GREAT engine and I cannot wait for mine to get here!

In the proper configuration it really is a superior vehicle. Forget the six, it is not the engine to have. It is only there because of the government. Get the V8 and be very happy!
    Yeah, I didn't find it very comforting, I'm really still surprised the sales guy brought it around, he drove it up front for me, you'd think he would notice that and get another one.

Hope they're able to get yours fixed soon, that's another reason I want to lease, quality is still suspect to me on the Jeep. If it starts having problems I want it to be under warranty and I want to be able to give it back at the end and not have to worry about it.
    I don't need the HEMI, I'll never tow anything with the vehicle and the 6 had enough power for me for daily driving. For me it's not worth the extra $2 grand and the decreased mileage to have the HEMI. Kind of like someone in FL buying 4WD, why pay for it if you don't want or need it.
  • I purchased a new 2011 JGC Laredo in November. On Friday the check engine light came on. I brought it back to the dealership and they told me the problem had to do with the 'cold start indicator'. They ran some tests and are waiting to hear back from Chrysler on how to proceed. They did say that they have heard about this problem on other 2011 JGC. Has anybody else heard about this?
    I am hoping it is not a major issue, because so far I love this car!