Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• yes - very. I actually don't notice anything except a very smooth ride and nice acceleration when I need it. Although compared to my 1995 Ford Explorer I'm probably not asking for much. I'll focus more tomorrow when I get on the highway but so far - this thing is awesome! (And no - I am not getting a commission check from Chrysler.. :) )
  • Since this my first purchase of a Chrysler product, I have received follow up calls from the corporate office to see how everything is doing. Never had that before from a car maker. They usually let the dealer make the follow up calls. And yes, my dealer also calls. Despite the tire issue and the V6, I am still pleased I switched from the Pathfinder to the Grand Cherokee. Next week I will have time, I have to follow up on the V6 sluggish problem, which for me at this point is not the end of the world.
  • kgvwkgvw Posts: 29
    If you wouldn't mind, please let us know what they say about the tires. Very curious about what they say. Thanks... :D
  • new_jeepienew_jeepie Posts: 59
    edited March 2011
    Sure,

Customer service at Chrysler refereed this matter to the dealer. Next week, when the GC goes into the shop for RRT updates (my vin# has 3 service updates) I am going to press and see what happens. I really find that Chrysler is trying their best to improve customer service, they told me about the RRT.

I was reading that BFG new on/off road tire to replace the Rugged Trail on/off road model was a year late. Which is around the time 2011 GC was being released and out for previews. I am wonder if Mich was going to give Jeep the new model as some other car manufactures get the soon to be replaced Rugged Trail as the OE tire.
    http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/review/riding-impression-the-allnew-bfgoodric- - - h-rugged-terrain-ta-tire-53161.html

I still am going to look into the Cooper and Hankook Tires. I am very fuzzy about tires for a 4X4.

I keep you posted :)
  • nolajeepnolajeep Posts: 2
    UPDATE: So I decided to turn off the radio and the AC this morning on my way to work and guess what...still have the whine. It definitely sounds like an electrical interference problem. I have an appointment next week (to get my side steps put on) and they're going to check it out. I'll keep you posted.

On a positive note, I turned the hill assist off and I think the acceleration from a stop is more responsive (I have the V6). Not sure when mine was built (I just bought it 2 weeks ago so I'm assuming after Sept 2010), but I did notice a little hesitation as others have noted before I turned that option off.
    edited March 2011
    With regards to the V6:

I have found from a stop the V6 is more responsive now in two situations. 1) With the tranny in manual mode at 1st gear or 2) if you have the selec-terrian system, the sports mode is on and the tranny is in automatic. I have found the GC to take off. Some time latter, I will try your discovery of turning the hill assist off and keep the system in auto and see what happens.

In my brief conversation with the dealer service advisor when I made by appointment for this upcoming week, he informed me the V6 use a different throttle system and forget what he called it. The accelerator pedal actives the computer first. By using 1st gear, sport mode and turning off the hill assist, these are means to quickly by-pass some of the computer throttle systems. I will have to go into depth when I see him.

Otherwise, I hope you are finding the GC working for you despite the two problems you posted.

Best for now. :)
  • Your discovery with turning off the hill assist is correct. I also found that the acceleration from a stop is more responsive. After I get my updates, I will see how the performance is again. Thanks for the tip.

The best. :)
  • joeb24joeb24 Posts: 111
    Picked up my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Overland, Hemi, Inferno Red yesterday. Everything seems to work. Hemi is awsome. Will take me a long time to learn all the gadgets. I can't remember the last time I owned V8. Too bad I have to baby this thing for the first 500 miles!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,784
    Congrats on your new ride! The inferno red is gorgeous & the overland has a gorgeous interior. You are going to love it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

You are right about the Inferno Red. My second choice was Silver, but, yes, the red shows a deeper shine.

I called Chrysler Customer Service to get hard copies of the manuals. They told me there is a Radio Enhancement available for the 2011 Grand Cherokees (#RRT 11-026). I was surprised since I have the upgraded 730N media center. Dealer said it is a software upgrade.
    Congrats on your new GC. I got mine in the silver and really do like it. I was very interested in the red but when I ordered mine they didn't have any reds to see in person and it would have been a late order option. Wouldn't come in for a long time. I ordered in Sept. Let me know what kind of radio upgrade came through. Thanks & good luck.
    Thanks! I ordered my in February and it probably would not have been delivered until later April or May. The dealer I ordered from has three other branches. I just happened to be searching the inventory of the other branches and noticed a GC the same as the one I ordered was in transit at one of them. I called the sales manager who said he expected it in any day. So I was lucky to have gotten the one coming in much sooner.

I you call the dealer where you bought your GC and ask about radio upgrade RRT11-026, they should be able to tell you if the upgrade applies to your GC.
    Thanks, I'll do that. I had to special order mine with the Off Road pkg because at the time there were none around to be had... at least within a 400 mile radius.
  • I was over at the dealer getting my RRT performed and brought up the subject of the tires. I still did not get any were with them nor do they know if Jeep is going to do anything about it. It seems they feel the tread pattern is aggressive enough.

Some time this summer, if Jeep does not change direction, I will get either the Cooper or Hankook all terrain tires.
    edited March 2011
    I had my the computer updates performed and did notice in my case the engine starts smoother with a slighter performance increase.

As another forum member pointed out, in regular driving when not off-roading, it is best to turn off the hill assist mode. I also found in the sports mode (if equipped) and the manual shifting there is no problem. The V6 will have the power and takeoff.

The service advisor explained to me this particular V6 uses the latest drive by wire system and the computer takes longer to analyzer the response of the gas pedal and other factors such what systems are on. By shutting off the hill assist or having different 4x4 modes, the computer process that information faster.

I forget to verify my build date, which I believe is an early one. For the other complaints that I have read, I think this is a case by case problem with different parameters (could even be the whole gas pedal assembly and sensor) for each case. Again Those that are having problems, should turn off the hill assist mode first and check what happens.

I now have 1500 miles on my V6 and I happy with it. Since the engine is still young, I still do not is faster than my old Pathfinder.

Did you notice any change in radio performance after the RRT upgrade? I get mine done tomorrow. I am not sure what it is supposed to improve?
    edited March 2011
    Sorry, can not help you on that one. I have the the 430 with no nav. According to the service dept, I have no RRT for my vin. Sometime later, I am going to change the whole setup.

Good luck tomorrow. :)
  • xc90508xc90508 Posts: 26
    Took My 2011 JGC in for a first oil change on Friday @ 3,000 miles. Bought it on 11/30/2010.

26X, Nav, Tow, Off Road I, Panoramic Roof

I do not know the manufacture date, but I would expect it to be October or November, 2010 as I bought it the day it came to the dealer from the rail yard.

I am completely satisfied with my purchase so far and have no regrets.
    Here are my observations.....

Thick steering wheel - Different at first but no complaints
    Seats - They are firm, I find them comfortable.
    V6 - hesitation, I have not observed any (knock on wood)
    I would say for true stop and go traffic, the V6 seems a bit underpowered starting from a stop,
    but not enough to bother me.
    radio whine/hum - I notice this just a bit when I have my iPod plugged in to the USB port.
    I notice only in the dead space between songs, but not during songs. Not enough to complain, but it seems that could have a higher quality result. Seems like a do it your selfer installed it. Reminds me of my first car, used '78 Cordoba (in '86) with the fine corinthian leather. I installed a new stereo, speakers, and a power booster to crank the jams. Got the "hum" from the power booster.
    Gas mileage - obviously more would be better. I calculate anywhere from 15.5-16.5 mpg for suburban driving. This is at least .5 and as much as 1.0 less than what the message center mileage shows. I can understand some slight difference based on variation in gas pumps and other factors, but .5 to 1.0 seems excessively off.

As I said, no complaints, I think they have done a fine job with the vehicle with a few areas for improvements.
    I noticed you had first oil change at 3000 miles. Is JEEP'S recommendation for the V6 3000 or 8000? I have the Hemi and JEEP recommends oil chg every 8000. I asked service advisor if my first oil chg should be sooner than 8000 to get the junk out; he said no, 8000 is fine.

Also, manual says engine break in should be first 300 miles. Salesman said first 500. I have 300 miles now and have been trying to be careful, but now I am itching to push it more. Does anybody have an opinion on this?
  • Congratulations on your purchase of 2011 JGC.

Your review is basically the same what I discovered. I suggest to turn of the Hill Assist feature as others have reported and see how the engine reacts in stop and go traffic. I found in the last few years during the winter, the gas seems to give a lower gas mileage result. The summer blend, I usually get near or the rated performance.

Best of Luck. :)
  • I just filled out my on-line Chrysler survey for new purchase and indicated the problem with tires. I am hoping they will call me back since I checked that off. I would suggest to fill that problem in the survey.
    edited March 2011
    In regards to pushing the engine, I have now 1650 miles on it which is mostly highway. After 600 miles I started to push a little more, after 1,000 I started to open up a even more. Now, I feel the engine is starting to open up.

The old school says about 5,000 miles an engine will reach the full potential. My feeling is this engine might reach it a lot quicker.

My dealership suggest to be safe with oil change after 6,000 miles but do not go over 8,000.
  • dvp16dvp16 Posts: 15
    Has anyone been sucessful in getting the touring tires replaced with on/off road tires?
    Sorry, to tell you, they won't call you. I did the same thing and received no response. I hope you notified the dealer within the first week you got the jeep so you have it on record. :D
    Has anyone bought 3M Scotcgguard protective film for their 2011 GC? How about a stone/bug deflector for the hood or mud flaps?
  • m124m124 Posts: 1
    It fixes iPhone4 connections. Works Great.
  • gsh44gsh44 Posts: 3
    Nothing here. Dealer says there is nothing they could do for me but give me 45/tire on trade in for new tires and wanted 1100 for relplacements. They indicated that filling out the survey was the best thing to do. Guess they think passing the responsibility to someone else will win future business????

Michelin's own site rates the Latitude as touring tires and not good as off-road. Seems like the loyalty issue that jeep owners have should play a part with jeep/chrysler management. Wondering if we can find out how many off-road packages were sold with the on-road tires. I they get enough complaints in numbers, they should at least respond to make things right.
  • With regards to the dealer solution presented to you, I would not change the tire to the 45/tire as a last resort. After doing a lot of searching on the web, IMO, the two leading candidates for tires are the Cooper A/T 3 or the Hankook Dynamo R10. If Chrysler does not come to a resolution by late summer, I would then be left with no choice and purchase the new tires in order to ready for the winter and a possible Jeep Jamboree outing.

I am now noticing the Latitude's response on highway driving in the rain is starting to diminish in performance. This is partly due to the lower tread depth design. Before, I never had a problem in this situation with either the Firestone Destination A/T or the Goodyear Fortera Tripletreads.

Since this is my first Jeep/Chrysler product that I have owned, this is the only issue that has left me with a sour taste. Otherwise, I feel that overall, they are doing an excellent job.

I agree, that there has to be some way to find out the number of packages sold and for us to come together and present this to JEEP to make things right. I would take even a check, simply because I am afraid what they my offer.
  • ethaskellethaskell Posts: 10
    The plot "sickens". Last Tuesday, 3/22/11, I was called in responce to my survey comments, and after a lengthy interview was instructed that I would receive an e-mail today, Wednesday, 3/30/11, authorizing me to purchase the proper tires, and to submit documented proof within seven days for a full refund of my costs. I was pleased, amazed, but suspicious. Today this same rep called to tell me that he had discussed this situation with the dealer, & others, and that he could not go against "the decision" not to adjust this situation. He did offer me an extended vehicle warranty, an offer I refused, as it has no value to me.

I don't know, does Chrysler hate it's customer base. Does Fiat see this as some sort of tax deduction. It sure isn't the way to conduct business on an ethical level and build a loyal customer base.

I am done with trying to convince Chrysler to do the right thing. I am going to contact the California Attorney Genreals office to see if they have any interest in pursuing this as a "bait and switch" violation. Also, going to write my elected representatives in Sacramento and Washington to see if they have any interest. (Pobably doubtfull.)

Also, I will be ready to express my frustration to one and all - I'll be a real Johny One note (till my wife tells me to cool it. :-) ).

Yes, I know I can replace the tires for about a thousand dollars, and be done with it. But "they" have taken our tax dollars to save their [non-permissible content removed], promised us a better business experience, and still playing the same old game. I am totally P.O.'d with this whole issue. Love the car, hate the company. 8-/
    edited March 2011
    I understand your point and to shell out 1G in these economic times not exactly something that many of us are looking forward to. Writing to our elective officials, as you say would be doubtful at this time. Checking with our respective state and US Attorney Generals office is a good idea, again I think it is to early.

The problem as I see it right now, as far as I can tell, we might be a small base with this situation. We need others who have the same problem as us that have not voiced their displeasure now must do so. The best thing is keep the communication going with customer service and demonstrate that the whole concept with the Adventure Package and a Trail Rated certified 4x4 is that we need an aggressive tire as indicated on the website and the sticker. The old clause of specifications can change from time of purchase does not apply in our case. A Jeep 4x4er that does the on/off road driving expects that are getting that.

Chrysler/Jeep/Fiat, should change their policy and make provisions to remedy this for the loyal customer base. With the Nissan Xterra they give you the BFG Rugged Trail TA as the on/off road OE tire. I am still wondering if Jeep is waiting for the release of the updated version of the BFG Rugged Trail TA as I have posted earlier (IMO, I never liked BFG before and the new one I have to wait for opinions on the siping) and my offer this as a solution.

As you, I love the JGC as well and glad that I did make the purchase. From my past experiences with other car manufactures, right now, the Chrysler/Jeep/Fiat is differently better to deal with than the other competition.