Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• Any 6' 5" tall people out there driving one of these. I went to the Denver Auto Show a couple of days ago, and found that being tall has become problematic for me with the new cars. I sat in a couple JGC, but was unable to adjust the seat, as I didn't have the keys to the vehicles. I currently have a 1997 Ford Explorer, and it has the perfect fit for me. It's what I enjoy the most about the car, but it's getting old, and it may be time to replace it. Living in Colorado, the new Explorers just don't have the off road capability that I now enjoy. The 2011 looks like my kind of vehicle, but not if I can't keep my head from being jammed into the ceiling.
  • The best place to look is at Jeep's own website under the title - for owners - then look for media centers. Their you will see the descriptions of the radio's as well as the downloadable manuals.

">link titlehttp://www.jeep.com/en/owners/quality/rer/">link title

Best regards. :)
  • Hello,

The best thing is go for a test ride at dealership and play with the seating positions. I have the 8-way seats and they adjust nicely for me. However, I am only 5' 6". But the GM at the dealership is around 6'2" and he just got in and out with no problem.

Best of Luck. :)
  • gbeesjeepgbeesjeep Posts: 21
    Hi Jeff,

I am 6'2", 220 and have the 2011 Overland fully loaded. I have all kinds of head room even though I have the full moon roof which takes out some head room. I am sure you will find it very comfortable. My only issue to date is noise in the suspension that they are still trying to get rid of, otherwise it has been great and I have 6000KM on it (V6). I wish it had more balls off the line and through the mid range but until they get the new tranny I will just ride it in sport mode when the weather allows as this changes the shift pattern and gives you much better low end performance. One of the best looking rides out there.
  • Hi Jeff,

I'm 6'6" and have no problems with space or headroom in the new Jeep. I have yet to pull the trigger on a 2011, but have test driven one a couple of times and remarked to my wife, "I cannot remember the last time I had this much space while driving". I have a 99 GCL now, but have my eye on the 2011's and am hoping for some end of year specials to get my new one. Good luck!
  • fbj1445fbj1445 Posts: 7
    One thing I've learned driving for 25 plus years and being in the car business in the past is that everytime there is a new motor introduced like the Pentaster V-6, it is almost a gaurantee that there will be some sort of issue and it takes atleast 1 full year with a brand new engine to get all the bugs out! I've seen it with Ford/Lincoln mercury back in the 90's when they introduce a new 4.6L V-8 engine in the town cars. If a car came in the shop with a hesitation problem, Ford recommended to pull the whole engine out and send it back to factory to see what the problem was! Thats why I bought a 2011 with the Hemi V-8. This engine has been around a while, and has only been modified to be more fuel efficient! Sorry you have this hesitation issue but I'm sure it will be resolved soon. Its just to new to figure out quickly what the problem is. Anyway,Good Lock!
    Great ! Thanks!
    Very unusual thing happened today! First, I have 322 miles on my JGC Overland with the V-8 Hemi. I was parked in frt of my sons school today waiting to pick him up. The truck was idling and I noticed some white smoke from the rear blowing towards the frt. Not thinking much of it, thinking it was some dust blowing, then I saw it again and wondered if it was coming from my truck so I tapped on the gas pedal softly and a large cloud of white smoke surrounded my vehicle! I was stunned and shut the car off! Went in to get my son then after started the truck up again, Nothing. Checked all the gauges and everything was fine! Went home cooled it off and checked all the fluids, perfect! Took the jeep out for a 15min drive and again perfect! Anyone have any idea!!! This is really mindboggling! Called the dealer and left a meassage for the service mgr.
  • 3xjeep3xjeep Posts: 11
    Hi,
    Like Mixinit I also purchased my Overland in March, has a build date of Feb 18th and window sticker shows a 730N as a $463 option. This vehicle was purchased new off of a dealers lot and was not a build it order. So unless you build to order I think it's hit ot miss as to what media center unit is installed.
  • joeb24joeb24 Posts: 111
    Well, the window sticker price for the 730N on my JEEP was $305. So, I wonder what the difference is?
  • Thanks to all who posted on the headroom issue I had. I'm going down in a few minutes and test drive one and see for myself!
    Here is my window sticker showing the Opional Equipment word for word

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
    OVERLAND WITH 3.6L V6 ENGINE PACKAGE
    Media Center 730N CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV $465
  • steve358steve358 Posts: 12
    I just test drove the grand cherokee. When sitting in passenger seat, where you rest your feet is extremely narrow, possibly wheel well taking up space. Did bother me a little. Has anyone else notice this design flaw.
    OK, now I get it! MY sticker has Media Center 730N CD/DVD/HDD/NAV $305.
    It does not include the MP3, so that's why its less money.
    $160 extra for the MP3 plug (which I won't use) seems more than enough money to me, oh well glad I got a good discount on the vehicle.
  • jreworldjreworld Posts: 3
    edited April 2011
    I've experienced the same thing on my JGC Overland Hemi while parked on a slanted driveway. When I told the dealer he said it was humidity that had gathered in the muffler, but I didn't buy it. Shortly thereafter my engine light came on, my MDS stopped working and the engine idled high at cruising speed. After 2 weeks of being out of service the dealer found a bad valve on one of my cylinder. They fixed the problem, but I was hoping it would address the engine sluggishness someone else reported, but it did not.

I also have the 730N, which has lots of bugs. Reboots sometimes and is very slow to respond. The dealer said it was an older Alpine model of which they had a surplus of parts and put them in the JGC. He said some of them have the newer NAV based on the Garmin.

BTW, Chrysler comp'ed me the 7/100K policy for free as a result of the engine problem.

I still have the car, but I'm looking to get rid of it. There's a clunking sound when the tranny downshifts. Very dissapointed in the vehicle.
  • bill328bill328 Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland with Hemi and the off road package. I was also disappointed in the tires; the Michelin latitudes are not "on off road tires" as the off road package advertises. I have complained to both dealership and Jeep customer service, so far to no avail. I am planning to file a complaint through my states Attorney General's office. This looks like a situation that may be ripe for a "class action suit". I would love to hear from others in the same situation.
  • bill328bill328 Posts: 5
    ethaskell

I am considering contacting the Colorado attorney general office regarding the "bait and switch"; ie advertising "on-off" road tires but delivering all season tires. Have you considered small claims court or a class action suit?
    I also love the vehicle but can believe the poor customer service.
  • new_jeepienew_jeepie Posts: 59
    edited April 2011
    I am going to wait until I goto to the NY Auto Show (end of the month) on the first day and try to speak to somebody from Jeep. The dealers are not responsible for the bait and switch, rather, Jeep HQ is responsible for their decision making. The test vehicles shown on YouTube from the introduction period clearly shows the Latitude's are on the GC.

Jeep fails to realize by ignoring this problem for which they consider only 10%
    of the total sales, is a grave mistake. The 10% is what Jeep considers those who take their vehicles off-road. However, many folks other than the off-roaders purchase the Jeep models based on the reputation and the loyal customer base that know the complete capabilities of the Jeep Band.

When somebody reads on-line or is told by the dealer (I can not blame the dealers, they are working on what is provided) the GC Adven. Pkg. comes with On/Off Road tires, the potential purchase or purchaser assumes they have the complete capability of the tire. For somebody that drives in snow (highway/street), they need the traction. For somebody drives in heavy rain, they need the tire to evacuate the water fast to prevent hydroplaning. And the off-roader who wants to go on the middle rated trails with mud holes, they want the traction. So on and so forth.

This is why I have said in my past posts, to let costumer service know the exact problem with examples and get a case number. This way, if an action arises, the consumer complaints are their for those who need them as discovery.

Would I purchase another Jeep again, yes without any prejudice. Would I get the V6 again, yes. Would I recommend a Jeep product, yes. Yes, the customer service IMO is poor regarding this issue, otherwise, they helped me greatly in other areas. I find the service and parts department also a great help.

SO, if anybody from Chrysler/Jeep/Fait who read this forum, please fix the the situation. I would thank you and the rest of us would thank you.

Best for now. :)
  • rrhoadrrhoad Posts: 3
    I know I will get significant flack for this...but, will all who are complaining re: the tires really find it necessary to have the off road tires, or is it just the principle of the thing? Wondering.
    edited April 2011
    This past Christmas snow storm, here in the Northeast, I saw so many 4x4 getting stuck in 6 - 12 inches of soft snow during the early parts of the storm. If they had a fair On/Off Road All Terrain tire, not a mud tire, they would be driving safely though the snow instead of spinning the wheels.

Today, the tire manufactures have made significant advancement for the On/Off Road All Terrain tires. In particular, the ability of the tire to self clean-out the tread to achieve maximum tire traction. Whether it is for street/highway driver going though the snow or rain or the off-roader going into mud, gravel roads and rocks, the On/Off Road All Terrain has great many positive features over the traditional all season tire. The Michelin Latitude's are classified as an all season highway tire with a 10/32 inch tread depth.

To answer your question, for us who paid for the extra option to meet our requirements, we expected to get what we believed to be the right tire. We did not vision to go out spend any where from $800.00 to $1,200.00 additionally. Other 4x4 SUV manufactures that offer the advanced off-road options, give you an On/Off Road All Terrain tire. You might ask, how come I did not go for a different SUV brand where I would get those tires? The answer is simple, the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is far better than the others in the class range. BTW, even those who get or have a 4X2 (pickups, vans etc.) sometimes will get a All Terrain tire for better traction.

Best for now :)
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    I briefly enjoyed a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011 Overland with the Off-Road Adventure Package and smaller wheels until it was lost in an accident. My observations: the stock Michilin Latitude non-HP tires are good but not great. See the evaluation on tirerack.com for the skinny on these tires. But if you replace them with Nokian WR G2 tires, the whole game changes. The tires become thoroughly competent in any weather including blinding rain and driving snow. Buy them. You will be amazed.

As for the JGC, it is a wonderful vehicle but has a fatal flaw - the 5-speed tranny. The car definitely needs an 8-speed tranny to improve both acceleration and fuel consumption. I can see how Chrysler wanted to get it on the road ASAP but it is not yet ready and needs better gas mileage, something that will be accomplished hopefully in the next two years.

Until then, it does not shake at any speed, is refined, quiet and comfortable, but needs drive train work.

Until then, I will stick with the Cruze and follow with rapt anticipation your communications with the board, etc.
    I have JGC Overland with the 20 inch wheels. I am thinking about getting All Terrain or Snow tires. Tire Rack recommends the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 for a snow tire. Has anyone found (or can recommend) an All Terrain tire in the 20 inch size (265/50-20) that I can leave on the car all year and will be good in snow? I have had no experience with the original equipment Good Year tires in snow.
    edited April 2011
    Hi,

The Goodyear Fortera OE tire that comes with your GC is like any other Highway tire in snow. It is hit or miss in snow situations, even the goodyear dealers say that.

As for going with a dedicated snow tire, which folks do, the Bridgestone Biizzak DM-V1 is highly rated. Goodyear is supposed to be coming out with new sizes for their highly rated dedicated snow tree, the Ultra Grip series. Also, many consider the Nokian tires from Finland as top snow tire has your size as well and it is easier to find now.

www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11942&group=2.01.02&name=Nokian+Hakkapeliitta+R+SUV

With regards to the All Terrain, it is hard to find a decent tire in that size which is one of the reasons I went with the Adven. Pkg. I do know that many tire manufactures next month will be releasing new models and additional sizes. I would look into Cooper, Goodyear, BFG, Hankook and also Kumbu that I know of that will be able to assist you. Since I have 18" wheels, I never looked into it.

If I come across something, I will post the link. Best for now. :)

P.S. With dedicated snow tires you have watch your speed with some models so check the rating or ask the dealer.
    Thanks very much, new jeepie. I used to use the Nokian WR G for my Subaru, and one could use it year-round (no tire switch in winter/summer). Do you know if the Nokian Hakkapelitta can be used similarlry, or is it a dedicated winter trie?

The Bridgestone DM-V1 has an "R" rating and TireRack said it should be safe to use on the JGC.

Guess we should repeat this conversation 6 months from now!
  • Nokain now calls the WR G the WRG2 SUV which can be used year round. However, I do not remember if they have your size yet or the WR SUV.

The Hakkapelitta is R speed tire as well. As for all year, they say you can, however, not recommended because during the summer months the hotter temperatures will make the tire compounds softer. Various reviews that I have read, those who live in the colder climates leave them on all year long if they do not travel south during the warm seasons.

The rule of thumb with an R rated tire is not go over 106 MPH for a constant period of no more than 30 minutes.

• xc90508xc90508 Posts: 26
    The owner's manual states 8,000 mile intervals for service.
    I did get an extended warranty that also includes service at 3,000 mile
    intervals. I will keep the shorter intervals until the extended warranty expires. I don't know that I would go to 8,000 miles, but we'll see when we get there.

About 500 miles after getting the oil changed, the message center showed a message that an oil change was due.

If the message center shows oil change required at 3,500 miles, I don't know that I would shut the message off and wait another 4,500 miles for an oil change.

Any thoughts? Anyone else run in to that?

BTW, it looks like you can't shut that message off until it shows up.
    It doesn't seem like it can be reset at the oil change. Just reset when it shows up.
  • Hi joeb24,

Also, look at Nitto tires from Japan, the Dune Grappler comes in your size and they are a on/off road all terrain tire.

edited April 2011
    First and foremost, sorry about your loss with the JGC. This is truly a wonderful vehicle.

You are right about the Michelin Latitude's, they are simply a good basic tire for the highway in clear weather conditions. As stated by many in this forum, the tread depth and tread design is an increasing issue especially in the various weather conditions. As I reported in a past post, I did find the tire in a blinding rain does not have the same stability that it should have.

I did talk to Nokian a while back, at that time they would not sure if they are coming out with the All Terrain or when for both of the JGC sizes. They did recommend the dedicated winter tire, which is not bad option. I almost pulled the trigger 4 years ago for the Nokian WR SUV, but the price then was too much. I got great deal on Goodyear triple treads. The reviews for the Nokian product line get high marks from many owners.

As for the gas mileage, I have learned over years the winter gas blend is not fuel efficient and you always burn more, like jet fuel. The last two years has been worse. It would be great if we had 8-speed tranny. In the beginning I hated the tranny with the V6, now by using the auto stick for manual shifting purpose when I need too, I have been comfortable and happy with the drive train. If Jeep does come out with a better transmission, it would be great if the old one was upgradable as well.

I hope you keep us in mind and do consider getting a JGC down the road again.

Just got the bottom of the driver's seat replaced. I bought JGC in March and there were imperfections/stains in the leather on the seat bottom of the driver's seat. At first, I just accepted it, but then I decided to try to have the dealer do something about it (being somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to my cars). It turns out Chrysler said it was a warrantable repair so it cost me nothing. I was worried about having it done since they would have to take apart the whole front seat to do the repair, and it is a power seat with the ventilation feature. But dealer did a great job. Everything works and new leather matches the original leather. I like my JGC even more now!