Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• dfc3dfc3 Posts: 87
    I own a 2004 Volvo S60 - have had it for nearly 2 years. I'm not sure I'll be any help, other than to say I haven't had the problem. The sound is quiet and the car is smooth. I have some issues with it -but nothing like you have.
  • This is s suspension problem probably: the car has been driven on lousy roads or hit a pothole. I had a similar rattle on a 2001 after about 45,000 - took it to the dealer and they installed new struts front nad rear, under warranty. No problem now.....
  • With ~$4500 incentives still to be had on the dwindling inventory of 05's, can anyone tell me if the 3yr/36 free maintenaces program is the deal-clincher over getting an 06 where I could order exactly what I want color/option wise. Dealers are telling me the free maintenance program won't be offerred after 05 so I'd like to know what additional maintenace cost must be laid out if I went with an 06.- thanks
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    If you went and did the services at the dealer the value is between $1000-1500 depending on the car.
  • I'm curious just how much gas you had in your tank at the time the problem occurred. Do you have any idea?. The reason I ask is that I have a 2005 XC70 (10 months old/4700 miles) and I experienced a very similar problem twice a few months ago and it turned out to be (1) faulty fuel pump but was also exacerbated by (2) low fuel in the tank (3) the design of the saddle (auxiliary) fuel tank that Volvo employs.

In both cases, I was traveling at a relatively slow speed, 30mph and decelerating for a traffic light. The first time I had approximately six gallons of gas in the tank, and was decelerating to stop for a traffic light. The second time I had approximately three gallons of gas in the tank and the "low fuel warning" light was just starting to flicker. In both cases, and without any warning, I had no steering and no power breaks while the car was still moving. In both cases, the "Check Engine Light" came on and remained on until the following morning, approximately sixteen hours after the event. In both cases, the light went off within a few minutes of starting the car.

When I explained the situation to the service person at the dealership (Al Martin Volvo in in Shelburne, Vermont) they had never experienced a case such as this but they were reasonably certain that the fuel pump was the culprit.

Apparently what was happening is this: for whatever reason, Volvo employs a "auxiliary" fuel tank, sometimes referred to as a saddle tank. When the main tank is empty it should seamlessly switch over to the auxiliary tank without the driver even being aware of it. In my case, what was happening was when the main tank was empty it would not switch to the auxiliary tank and I would theoretically "run out of gas".

The service manager suggested that I avoid ever letting my fuel level get to the point where the low fuel warning light would come on thereby reducing the possibility of this happening again. Instead, for my next three tanks of gas, I drove the car until it had approximately one gallon of gas left in the tank, thereby proving their diagnosis of a faulty fuel pump.

Given Volvo's reputation and after spending $50,000 for this car I'm not quite sure what to think. I'm surely beginning to question Volvo's "reliability" as well as safety.

In both of those cases, less than two minutes before the car stalled, I had been driving at 70mph in the passing lane in bumper-to-bumper rush-hour traffic on the interstate. Had either of these events occurred while I was on the interstate, I (my car) would have been the cause of a multi-car pile up and who knows how many deaths and/or injuries would have occurred.
  • About to purchase a 01' S60 T5. Has anyone else had/not had problems with using regular gas? I know some said that they had not, but wondering if I could do permanent damage to the engine with regular unleaded? Or, can I get buy with just filling it up with premium every 1000 miles or so? Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

By the way, lug nuts are rusted like hell. Any suggetions for reliable Volvo parts dealer online? Thanks again.
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Posts: 139
    you should be ok with regular, the car's computer will detune the engine to run on regular. However, why would you buy a t5 and run it with the engine detuned? How much are you really saving? The performance and the gas milage will suffer.
  • very true, and actually, just filled it up with premium tonight. yeah, it costs about 20 more bucks or so, but willing to do that in exchange for performance.
  • Hi,

I am planning to purchase a S60 2.5T this week and was wondering if folks could respond to the following:

1. Does Volvo sell an extended warranty (beyond the 48/50 which comes with the car) AND is it worth buying it AND how much will it cost
    2. Any comments on the std HU-650 stereo...I have heard it not good
    3. Buying experience in New Jersey

Thanks
    Yes Volvo does offer an extended warantee. If you're going to keep the car I'd get one, Volvo's are very expensive to fix.
    The hu-650 isn't as good as the 8xx, but its pretty good if you go into the hiddle equalizer and set the radio up.
    I leased a s80 from red bank in 2003. I found Volvo's to be a pleasant experience compared to a dodge or mercury.
  • lweisslweiss Posts: 342
    I have a 1998 Volvo S-70 (non Turbo), it has been a great car, but when it does need maintenance, it is expensive even though I have used a very good and reputable independent shop since the warranty expired (cars has almost 97K). And I use almost exclusively premium fuel- for my driving (now about 15K-18K per year), the extra 20 cents a gallon is a small cost to get the better performance and peace of mind that the recommended fuel gives me (about $200/year- big deal!).

But I am thinking of getting a new car now, and I am a little concerned about the future of Volvo. They have been laying off workers in Sweden and other places, and since Ford owns Volvo and are having their own bigtime problems these days, I fear that in a few years, Volvo may go away or just be a badge changed Ford- think my fears are justified? Same thing going on with Saab which is owned by GM. I am thinking that maybe an Acura TL or Honda Accord EX might be a better choice. What do you think? I like to keep my cars about 7 years. The Volvo S-60 looks like a good car, the engine is not that changed from my S-70 2.4L, and I have no need for the turbo (I get enough speeding tickets without a turbo!)
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Have no fear about Volvo's future.

ALL of the new product that is coming is 100% Volvo designed and built.

In any company
    you can find 1500 people that aren't essential to an operation. AFAIK none of the actual bolt turners are being cut.

BTW, the non turbo S60 has been discontinued.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,893
    besides what volvomax said, why would their future even concern you when it comes to buying a car now? Heck, in my mind, that just means you SHOULD buy now because it may not be there for you to buy in the future.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• lweisslweiss Posts: 342
    No, I would not like to buy a brand that is going away. I would think that (and I have no proof, just a perception), that the resale value of something going away would drop and it would be hard to sell after the 5-7 years that I normally keep a car. Also, wouldn't it be harder to get parts for brands that are no longer being made?

I have a friend that was in a collision with his Olds Intrigue- the car was in the shop almost 6 weeks awaiting parts. Maybe that's why I want to buy a car that is very popular.

But my Volvo S-70 has been a great car- love the engineering, the seat comfort, the handling- would hate to see Volvo fade, but it sounds like it really will not.
    I don't believe that Volvo would be going away. It been increasing sales every year and its one of the few Ford companies that's actually making money.
  • tmarttmart Posts: 998
    Am confused. :confuse: How did your fill up with premium cost an extra $20? Maybe it was a typo and you meant $2.00. Here in Houston, and I believe most elsewhere, there's a 10 cent spread between grades. Therefore, going from midgrade to premium, assuming a 20 gallon fillup, would cost $2.00 more. From regular to premium would be about $4.00. These figures are on the high side since one usually fills up before the tank is really empty.
  • No confusion, you're right. Typo. Overall maybe 2-4 bucks more. Sorry about that. Thank goodness for the grammar police.
  • kahs60kahs60 Posts: 6
    I'd like to know how you like your Volvo!? I just purchsed one through the military program and it is being delivered in Dec. I'd like to know how you like your stereo also. I did buy the HU-850 just because I listen to music all the time however, I did like the 650 too.
  • BTW, the non turbo S60 has been discontinued.

Does that mean my used S60 (2001) will be worth more or less when I come to sell it? :confuse:

PS. The reason why I bought the non turbo was that when it came to re-sale there would be one less thing for anyone to worry about!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,893
    well, as much as I love my volvo, resale is horrible, so i don't think not selling them here anymore will change that very much.

As far as parts ... are you talking about them folding completely or just not selling here in the states anymore? If just the states, then parts will obviously still be available.

Heck, Alfa hasn't been here in the states for over a decade, but I'm still able to get parts from resalers. Same thing back when I had my AMC-made Jeep. AMC was bought out by Chrysler and the CJ7 was long dead and buried, but resalers and aftermarket manufacturers kept me swimming in all the parts I needed.

I can understand your concern on something obscure, like, say, a Merkur, but something with as big of a following as Volvo I just don't see having a problem (and, of course, that is IF they were to fold, which, again, I don't see happening).

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country