Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• I am coming up for a 60,000 service and I checked with my indy about their diagnostics. They said although they do not subscribe to VIDA they have access to other software (they use a laptop on the shop floor) in order to do diagnostics. They said that it would be an illegal restraint of trade for a manufacturer require their cars to be serviced by a dealer in order to obtain the use of manufacturer generated software.

Comments? :confuse:
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The motor co's make their software available via subscription.
    If your shop doesn't want to subscribe, thats fine.
    But, alot of what goes on in a modern Volvo requires the manufacturers software. So, if they can't or won't get the necessary software from Volvo go somewhere else.
  • Hello all. New owner of a 2002 S60 T5 (33,000 miles.) Are there major maintenance items I can plan for that aren't presented in the owner's information? For instance, "don't believe that the timing belt will go 105,000" or "the water pump should be replaced at 60,000." thank you.
  • FYI
    I have just replaced the timing belt @106K, and according to my mechanic it was OK, so it was the true preventive maintenance. The original water pump is still there.
    I think, that modern maintenance schedule is rather conservative, and normally, no part require more frequent attention, unless it is truly faulty, and breaks prematurely
  • Some independent shops service a number of different makes, usually foreign. Is it feasible for these guys to subscribe to say Volvo and BMW and Mercedes and Jaguar and Saab etc etc ? It seems to me that if what you say is true about the software requirements than how do these independent shops stay in business?
    mostly, they work on older pre-software cars.
    There are plenty of old Volvo's, Saab's and bimmers on the road to keep them busy.
    Some don't want to work on newer cars because of the software issue.
    Alot of older tech's are not comfortable w/ the newer technology.
    Some independents bring cars to the dealer to get the software. Of course, they charge their customers.
  • As the proportion of newer computerized cars grows then it look like the indy shops will become an endangered species.
    not necessarily.
    There will still be older cars to work on.
    Plus, they will still be able to do oil changes and other minor services.

I don't think I would want someone who wasn't factory trained working on my $30-40,000 highly technical car, but thats just me.
  • For a scheduled service such as a 60,000 mile service, if there is nothing actually amiss with the car couldnt an indy service it without the software? As I understand the software is required as a diagnostic tool to figure out how to fix a problem when there is actually a problem. :confuse:
    sometimes there are upgrades to the factory software, just like w/ Windows on your pc.
    Most of the time, you are just replacing worn parts.
    Just from a peace of mind standpoint I would prefer that major services are done by the dealer.
  • My indy says that he purchased a software package on the aftermarket and doesnt need to subscribe on a monthly basis....
    really?
    AFAIK there are no "aftermarket" software solutions for Volvo proprietary software.
    We have a few independents that bring us the cars for downloads.
  • Hi all, we just yesterday bought an 02 5T with 24k miles and are on a loving-it learning curve. Is anyone familiar with the radio interface? :confuse: Our 803 radio does not have the 10 CD changer, and I see lots of other modes on the display; has anyone been able to use the changer audio input for the changer for XM or Sirius? Looks like there might be a slight programming hack involved, but that would make a direct connection from a Sat receiver sound great. :shades: Any other thoughts on the radio would be appreciated as well. Thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,892
    you might want to check with crutchfield.com. They have alot of adapters to change a stock CD-changer input into an Ipod or satellite radio input. You'll most likely need to call them and speak with someone to find the right adapter for your car.

By the way ... I'd say you've either mixed up your numbers/letters or someone broke the badge on your trunk. ;)
    Its either 2.5T or T5.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

Volvo does offer Sirius radio for the S60.
    Any direct connection to the radio would require software.
    I don't know if Crutchfield or anyone has an aftermarket solution to the software issue.
    what exactly does the software do?

would you need to update the software if you added a volvo CD changer?

i'm just curious, because the adapter would only play through the stereo like the stock cd changer. so you are essentially fooling (for lack of a better word) the stereo into thinking you've plugged in the cd changer, that's all.

Granted, however, if the sirius upgrade from the volvo dealer allows you to change stations on the satellite using the stock stereo controls, then that might be a bit more convenient than using the satellite unit's controls.

think of a Volvo as a big pc.
    Anytime you add hardware to a pc you need the software to run it.
    In the case of the radio, adding a changer alone won't work. The car's systems need to know the changer is there and this requires software.
    that really makes me second guess ever buying another volvo, i'm sad to say.

We are not alone in this.
    Any new luxury car has a similar system.
    Pretty soon, even run of the mill cars will operate this way.
    we'll see.

I know my '03 Lincoln doesn't have this problem, and neither does my wife's '05 Pacifica (of course, its arguable whether that is in the same luxo-category as volvo).

If it does get to the point where the answer to every new car problem (worse than that is for every mod you want to make) is "take it to the dealer," I'll find myself buying nothing but used cars.