Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

1146147148149150152»

Comments

• volvobuffvolvobuff Posts: 35
    Volvo employee pricing = invoice, less any current incentives.
  • amoszamosz Posts: 29
    Hi

I am also interested in this costco program with volvo. Does it work with leasing it as well?

Also, as we may be starting our family in the next year or two, how is this car with car seats?

Thanks
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 106
    Otis.
    I have a 2013 S60 T5. A great car but the back seat is tight. Not a factor for me as it's just my wife and me. You'll want to look at that real closely before you make your decision.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    It is tight, but comfortable. Try it. The back seat certainly isn't noticeably tighter than similar sized cars (Buick Verano, BMW 3, Lexus IS). If you are tall and want to ride back there a lot, then look elsewhere.
  • amoszamosz Posts: 29
    I don't see myself ever riding in the back seat. None in my family are that tall, so the leg room shouldn't be a huge concern.

Its more about fitting 1 or 2 car seats in there and needed accessories for children.
  • snarf1464snarf1464 Posts: 2
    We just ordered our S60. We installed the car seatsh into a demo model before ordering. The car seats for my 18 month old and 5 year old fit just fine. I bet it's a little tighter when the car seats are rear facing, but you can put it in the middle which helps.

I like a lot of leg room when I'm driving, so we found rear facing baby seats were tight in our Acura TLS and MDX as well.
  • htwired1htwired1 Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    I have had my 2012 Volvo S60 T6 for over a year and have driven it for more than 15,000 miles. It has been a great value and a pleasure to drive. Others have commented about the lack of a spare tire. The combination of low profile tires and 18 inch alloy wheels makes driving without a spare tire absolute foolishness. I hit some road debris. Both wheel and tire will have to be replaced. Fortunately the tire is still holding air, but that was simply my good luck. When I replace the wheel and tire tomorrow, I will also order a spare tire and tire jack. With this one exception I love my S60.
    The lack of a spare is usual for many vehicles, and soon will be the norm for most. Spare tires are going away. They are dead weight and they take up space. Lots of people like yourself will order one anyway, but it will less and less be standard. Yes, I know all the arguments against going without one. However on the other side of it, tires rarely fail today. On my last three vehicles, the spare was never out of the trunk. I had a small pickup with 170K and the original spare. Run flats are also improving. BMW is eliminating them. The Tesla does not come with one, even if you pay over $100K for one. Even in your case, with damage, the car is still drivable. You will of course have more peace of mind having a spare, but you won't have any trunk space. There is no well for a spare (those are on the way out too).
  • htwired1htwired1 Posts: 3
    I now have my spare tire. The extra wheel cost a mere $350. The jack another $70. The good news is that the trunk can accommodate the spare tire, my gold clubs, golf shoes and my yoga mat, but not much more. I'm happy.
  • jmaxejmaxe Posts: 197
    Love my new S60 but at the 600 mile mark, yes 600 miles, I picked up a 2" hex-head sheet metal screw in the shoulder of one tire. Drove right to the tire store as it was going down fast. Of course nobody will patch a puncture unless it's smack dab in the middle of the tread. So $173 and a day later I'm back on the road.
    As for a spare tire, you don't need it until you need it.
    Will be interesting to see if, over time, consumers revolt and demand more than an air pump and a can of goo.
    I doubt they will. Your experience is truly regrettable, but the vast majority of people are lucky enough to drive on all 4 tires until they are worn enough to warrant buying new ones. Tires are just so much better than they used to be. With manufacturers looking for weight savings everywhere they can these days, more and more models have a spare as optional. Like it or not, this is the way things are going, and they will not go back to spares being standard. Sorry for your mishap. That truly sucks. But it is like you won the lottery the wrong way.
  • jmaxejmaxe Posts: 197
    My gut tells me you're right but it would be nice to have the option of a spare tire.
    Sure, one can find a donut spare and jack kit but Volvo has eliminated the tire well in the S60 trunk whereas other mfgrs have kept the well but inserted a removable storage tray that can be sacrificed for an aftermarket spare.
    Obviously it wasn't a deal breaker when it came to my purchase decision but then I didn't know that a flat will usually result in a new tire purchase, as well as $50 or so for a new one-use tire inflation kit.
    Yes. True. Not sure why Volvo eliminated the tire well. Now when you buy their optional spare, it takes up a good portion of the trunk space.
  • You are SOOOOO right!

In the case of a car with a supplied spare tire/jack it would only be the driver's fault in the event he or she is stranded from a flat tire if he or she did not properly maintain it (i.e. the spare tire).

In this case, the FAULT IS VOLVO's for not supplying a properly emergency equipped vehicle (i.e. a spare tire and jack).

And THANK YOU. I am marking VOLVO off my list. That also goes for any other car manufacture who is irresponsible like VOLVO!

P.S. Supplying a can of FIX-A-FLAT is a joke!
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 106
    I bought a 2013 S60 T5 FWD over 1 yr. ago. The no spare was almost a deal breaker for me. But the car has been great and I have no regrets. I also got lucky. I sprang for the donut spare for about $250.00. When I went to take delivery, there was no spare. When I balked at taking delivery, the dealer apologized and I got a spare 2 days later for free.

I think Volvo is making a mistake. They have a justly deserved reputation for building safe cars, but make you pay extra for a donut spare. Very short sighted.
    It may seem like a joke, but spare tires are one of those pieces of equipment that are going to largely disappear. What with run flats and better engineering of all tires, most people trade in or turn in their cars without ever touching the spare. Manufacturers see it as a way to cut weight/save fuel, and these days, every little bit counts to get to those higher mpg numbers required each year. So, like it or not, it will become one of those things that you will have to special order.

Knock on wood, I haven't used a spare in decades. My 2011 S60 T6 does not have one. My previous car was driven for almost eight years with a full size conventional spare aboard. Wish spares were a given, but they are probably toast in a few short years.
  • medmdmdmedmdmd Posts: 41

@jeffm5 said: I bought a 2013 S60 T5 FWD over 1 yr. ago.

The Technology Package seems to be tough to find especially without also getting the Platinum Trim level.

It seems like a great safety feature.
    Surprised it is not more popular or even standard. Even more surprised that it is not bundled with the Blind Spot option package.

Has anyone found the Technology Package was worth the extra $1500?

Any impressions or advice on the Tech and BLIS packages would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

BLIS is valuable to me, because I am blind in my left eye and it really helps with the left hand side blind spots. The technology package is invaluable to me as well. The adaptive cruise control is addictive and something I would not want to go with out on any future car. It works flawlessly following safely in traffic, braking gently if someone cuts in in front of you, and will go in bumper to bumper traffic safely without you ever touching the accelerator or brakes. The lane departure warning is an OK addition.