Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• 1702817028 Posts: 45
    This is just a guess. I think you can't order the cars until they are officially released on the market, which means around 15/11. It might be hard to be able to get them to manufacture your car and have it ready soon enough for your purposes (within a couple months of today).

However, they seem to extend the offer of a free round-trip ticket and a night at a hotel each time it expires, so why not go twice? It is an amazing value if you combine it with some touring of Europe. I wrote a post, with some tips for nice places to visit around Gothenburg, in some other topic, probably a S40/V40 related one, you might be able to search for it. You probably want to go between May and September tho, if you want to avoid quite cold weather. However, it can be quite beautiful with all the snow in the middle of winter, as long as you don't have to stay there too long (gives you a chance to try Volvo's anti-skid system too).

I've got some information to quote from the message board at the eminent Volvospy site, that I know you guys will find interesting:

"Our local paper (the San Antonio Express-News) had a lead article on the S60. Said base price would be $27,075 with projected US sales of 35,000 units for 2001. There will be 3 engine choices: aspirated 168-hp, 2.4 five cylinder; light-pressure turbo at 197-hp; top-of-line 2.3 liter high-pressure turbo at 247 hp "

<</A>> encloses text added by me.

I want the 197hp turbo, I love Volvo's turbo engines from my days driving my parents' 740 back in Sweden.

"Protect the body, ignite the soul" -- Volvo
    "Ignite the body, protect the soul." -- The Spanish InquisitionSedans
    The cars are planned to be released from port on October 23rd, to be on sale November 1st. Maybe earlier if they arrive in port early.

The dealers will start taking orders in early September. That probably means that brochures will be available.

Base price will be around $27K. There may or may not be a reduced introductory price.

Another piece of news that I know will interest some: there is a convertible planned, but it will take a few years.

• Here is a link (I think the same one listed above):
    http://volvos60.volvocars.se/vcc/market/intro.asp

Anyway, the S60 will NOT have AWD this year, but it was designed to be able to have it added later (probably 2 yrs. or so). That is what I have picked up from the Audi/VW groups, as Quattro/4Motion/AWD is becoming THE safety item to have on higher end cars these days. Even MB is using it now.

Obviously, besides Subaru, the Europeans are twenty steps ahead of the Big 3 in Detroit and most of Japan. From what I have read, just about all the Euro cars will be offering this option in the coming years. Just note that about 80% of all Audi's in the US are sold w/Quattro. Reason? Because they HAVE IT! Audi's (and VW's, since VW owns Audi) system is different than Subaru's and is not really 4wd.

I have not found any specific info on how Volvo's system will work, but suffice it to say, it will be a lot closer to Audi/MB than Subaru (which is a very good thing).

If anyone does have info on this, please e-mail me.
  • alingaling Posts: 598
    MB offered the 4-matic AWD system back in 1989, so AWD cars are not new to them. In fact, the 3rd generation 4-matic system will be offered as ano option on the 2002 S-class, C-class, CLK-class, and E-class. FWIW, last year, 50% of the E-classes sold in Canada had the 4-matic system.

It is true that many European cars are available with AWD. Even the tiny Fiat Panda, or the Peugeot 206 (which has done extremely well in the World Rally Championship) are available with AWD. As for the Japanese manufacturers, many actually offer AWD in their home (Asian) markets. For example, the Toyota Camry has available AWD in Japan, as does the Mazda MPV minivan. They have not be offered here possibly because they may eat into the SUV sales, or perhaps because the manufacturers don't feel that there's enough demand.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    I don't think it is true that the domestics are behind on AWD. And it does not take an expensive car to have AWD - some minivans have it. Also Chrysler is developing a platform for 2003 LH cars that will be FWD, or RWD, or AWD. I think GM is doing something like that too.
  • To an extent, you are right. As I noted in my earlier post, the European cars don't really use AWD.....it's better. AWD means all 4 wheels are pushing all the time. AWD is what the Big 3 use. The European cars send the power where it is needed, but most power (at least for Audi/VW) is sent to front wheels (when accelerating, more shifts to the back, and from right to left, where needed). I belive it breaks down to a 60%/40% for front/rear most of the time.

Chrylser is now trying to implement these into their cars (since DB took them over). And as Aling points out, more of the Euro's have it (and Japanese, but not in the US) than anyone else. Thus, it comes down to how you intepret "high end cars". Since most European cars are considered high end in the US, a valid case of Quattro/4Motion/whatever working its way down to everyday cars would be true.

All I am saying is: look who has these systems vs. the AWD (which is a mechanical function: not efficient and definitely not the better of the systems). Stability control and traction control (as GM and Ford call them) are NOT the same thing. Don't confuse them. They are TOTALLY different systems!

Look into how the different systems work and you will see that: 1. They are not the same; and 2. The Europeans have been using them for over 20 years.

Check it out and you'll probably surprise yourself with how much better their systems work!
  • alingaling Posts: 598
    Actually, the Audi Torsen Quattro system on the A4, A6, and A8 is permanent and has a 50/50 split. The Haldex Quattro system on the A3 and TT is mostly FWD till slippage occurs though. Personally, I like the former system better since AWD can help to stabilise the vehicle and help with handling at all times. MBz's 4-matic system is also permanent with a 38/62 split. Volvo's system, OTOH, is 90% front, and 10% rear until slippage occurs.

WRT the domestic manufacturers, the AWD system in the Chrysler minivans is actually made by a well known Austrian company. It too is 90% front/10% rear until slippage occurs. GM's new VersaTrak system has a similar torque split ratio.
  • Does anyone have any experience with or recommendation of the following dealers around Philadelphia, PA?

1. Volvo of Fort Washington
    Fort Washington, PA

2. Burdumy Motors, Inc.
    Huntington Valley, PA

3. Cherry Hill Volvo
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,460
    I have looked at cars at Cherry Hill. Have found them to be very friendly and helpful, and not at all pushy. They will also give you the keys to anything for a solo test ride any time you want.

If you are in South Jersey, they are also the only game in town.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• Hello all,

This is the first US review of the 2001 Volvo S60 that I have found. They were very positive about the car and seem to like it a lot!
    Here it is:

Car Connection 2001 Volvo S60 Review

-DrewSRX
  • Drew,

Thanks for the link to car connection, but I can't open the review. Maybe you could cut/paste in some of the pertinent details like 0-60 times!
  • Somtimes The Car Connection reviews do not work and I am not sure why. I guess that it depends on the time of day as to whether it works or not. They did not publish any 0-60 times, but I am guessing that it will be in the 6.8 second range for the S60 T5. The base price will be $26,500. Here are some of the important things that they said:

"Volvo clearly targeted BMW, which remains the benchmark for "driving machines," and while the smooth Stockholm terrain didn&#146;t provide many opportunities to push the S60 to its limits, we had enough wheel time to be impressed with the car&#146;s handling and performance. The S60 is solid and stable, handling with aplomb a tight slalom course Volvo set up as a route detour. Steering is precise, with just the right amount of boost."

"Those looking for the maximum thrill would be strongly advised to consider the T5, with its high-pressure turbo and stiffer suspension, then add the optional, 18-inch, low-profile tire and wheel package. The U.S. version of the T5 will offer an optional "Space Ball" five-speed stick, a futuristic looking aluminum-and-leather shifter. We found the manual transmission smooth and easy to manage, and a definite performance enhancer."

"The look and feel of the interior underscores Volvo&#146;s drive to reposition itself as a luxury brand. The materials are sumptuous, with well-matched colors and textures. Gauges are easy to read, especially the optional navigation system. Competitors typical mount their nav monitors in the center console, forcing you to take your eyes off the road to check directions. When in use, the Volvo screen pops up from the top of the center stack, minimizing eye movement. Directions also can be read out in a friendly, digital voice."

"Overall, the Volvo S60 is an impressive vehicle. It&#146;s roomy, comfortable and surprisingly nimble. Its sleek shape may shock Volvo purists, but there&#146;s little sacrificed, and plenty gained. And considering Volvo has cut the base price off the old S70 by $1000, it&#146;s certainly worth putting the new S60 on your shopping list."

-DrewSRX
  • Has anyone been able to determine whether the
    manual transmission will be available in the
    U.S.?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,460
    You will be able to get a stick, certainly in the T-5, and I think in the base car also. I personally would want a 5-speed with the LPT engine, but that combo has never been available here.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• I called Volvo of NA, and they said the car would come standard with a manual transmission in the US.
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    Hi gang. I was in at Volvo Irvine earlier today to pickup a slew of goodies for my wife's '01 V70 (all free thanks to Volvo) and spotted a S60 sitting in the service area. I had looked at the tires for a bit thinking they looked slightly different than those on my S80. It wasn't until I stepped outside that I realized I wasn't looking at a S80. My black S80 was parked next to this black S60 so I think my mind played a trick on me at first.

The S60 is a very attractive car. It looks a lot like a scaled down S80 except that the side profile is more coupe-like with the long tapered rear doors. It looks really good from the back surprisingly (it has a bit of Audi and BMW in the lines for the roof pillars when seen from behind). This particular car was a T5 driven by a Swedish engineer assigned to the Rockleigh office. Oddly it had plates from Georgia denoting that it came from a 'Distributor'. Nonetheless, the interior is very well done. This one didn't have the spaceball gear shifter but I can tell you that Volvo added an additional color to the light colored interior. This particular interior had the normal tan leather seats but there was also so brown and tan in the plastics that hasn't been in Volvos before. They are definitely paying attention to Audi when it comes to color combinations (I haven't seen enough S60s to tell if they've arrived yet but it is a definite step in the right direction).

I didn't get a chance to drive the S60 but the engineer I spoke to did mention that it had a tighter suspension setup that he preferred (it could have been me but I thought he was saying this in reference to my S80). Overall the car was very nice on the inside and outside. It seems to have great interior room but the trunk is definitely smaller than the S70 trunk if my memory serves me right. It is larger than most cars in this class, marginally, but it is not the large square trunk of yore.

Based on my viewing of the latest Volvo toy today, I can say I definitely look forward to the 300 HP AWD version coming out next year!

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com

p.s. - I felt like such a moron. I was completely caught off guard by running into an actual Volvo engineer. All the things I could have asked him about an upcoming SUV, whether the S60 AWD uses Audi's Quattro system (since it was reported that Volvo licensed it recently), etc. etc. None of these things came to mind! Arrgh...

p.p.s - As an aside, I asked the engineer if Volvo had many M.I.T. graduates working in the engineering staff (I'm a grad and have an alumni plate on my car which he spotted - I thought). I don't know if it was my accent or not but he hadn't heard of MIT. Ouch said my poor little ego...
  • Hello all,

The cover story for the front page of the Detroit Auto newspaper had a preview of the new Volvo S60 in it today, September 27, 2000. For all of those who are interested, here is the site!

Detroit News Preview on 2001 Volvo S60

-Drew SRX
    what engineer never heard of MIT? I sure did, back when I was at Moscow State Technical University.
  • I have to say the S60 looks like a beautiful car, as I have admired the S80 for the past two years, but I am a little disappointed in the fact that the base model will come with only 168 HP. That is 2 less HP than an Audi A4 1.8T, which fully loaded with Navigation would be at least $4,000-$5,000 less than a fully loaded base S60, and it will have AWD, more HP and Xenons. Why should someone go for the S60 over the A4, besides the fact that it is a bigger car?

Also, the A4 now comes with 4 yrs/50,000 mile warranty with free maintenance and standard sideguard headbags, so I would say these two cars are comparable in their safety feature.
    I think Volvo should clip the upper extension of the tail lights.
  • When I first heard about the Volvo S60 I was real excited. I've been wanting a quality performance car with a manual transmission. Then I saw the pricing...and became quite disappointed. I did a rough comparison between a decked out T5 ($38,225) and a comparably equiped Acura CL-S ($32,000) and the CL-S came in much cheaper. I really would prefer the manual Volvo over an auto CL-S, but I'm certainly not going to pay thousands more for the same features. Very frustrating...
  • Hello all,

The Wheels section of the Canadian Toronto Star newspaper had a preview of the new 2001 Volvo S60 on September 23, 2000. Remember, all the prices are Canadian. For those of you that are interested, here it is:

Canadian Toronto Star Preview of 2001 Volvo S60!

-DrewSRX
  • I'd agree with you, but then I realized that would make the back end look even more like my '94 Accord than it already does. Nice car overall, though.
    or the back might even look like that of pre-2001 Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring if the tops of the taillights got clipped.
  • Hello all,

This information was just released about the new Volvo S60 PCC (Performance Concept Car):

The Performance Concept car features a full body kit with 19" alloy wheels, leather trim, ribbed aluminum pedals and instrument cluster, six-speed manual transmission and a 300 bhp, 295 lb/ft of toque version of the 2.4 liter four-cylinder engine and electronically managed four-wheel drive (AWD). The FOUR-C (Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept) is also included in the Performance Concept Car. The FOUR-C system uses information gathered from height sensors and accelerometers to determine the position of each wheel and the vehicle body and then use the dampers to maximise tire grip. The system also eliminates pitch due to severe braking as are the effects of harsh acceleration and quick steering wheel movements.

Three chassis modes are offered by the FOUR-C system, these are selected via buttons on the instrument panel: Comfort, Sport and Advanced Sport modes. The Sport mode is optimised for normal driving, balancing comfort with maximising handling. The Comfort mode optimises the FOUR-C body's isolation from irregularities in the road, and the Advanced Sport mode totally alters the vehicle's character, giving priority to maximum
    handling and road holding. The Performance Concept Car is also fitted with Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC), which is disengaged when Advanced Sport mode is selected.

Here are two pictures of the car from Volvo:

-DrewSRX
    is this going to be available in the US? and for how much money?
  • Hello all,

This information was just released about the new Volvo S60 PCC (Performance Concept Car):

The Performance Concept car features a full body kit with 19" alloy wheels, leather trim, ribbed aluminum pedals and instrument cluster, six-speed manual transmission and a 300 bhp, 295 lb/ft of torque version of the 2.4 liter four-cylinder engine and electronically managed four-wheel drive (AWD). The FOUR-C (Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept) is also included in the Performance Concept Car. The FOUR-C system uses information gathered from height sensors and accelerometers to determine the position of each wheel and the vehicle body and then use the dampers to maximize tire grip. The system also eliminates pitch due to severe braking as are the effects of harsh acceleration and quick steering wheel movements.

Three chassis modes are offered by the FOUR-C system, these are selected via buttons on the instrument panel: Comfort, Sport and Advanced Sport modes. The Sport mode is optimized for normal driving, balancing comfort with maximizing handling. The Comfort mode optimizes the FOUR-C body's isolation from irregularities in the road, and the Advanced Sport mode totally alters the vehicle's character, giving priority to maximum handling and road holding. The Performance Concept Car is also fitted with Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC), which is disengaged when Advanced Sport mode is selected.

Here are two pictures of the car from Volvo:

-DrewSRX
    Well, the Volvo is bigger, as you say. It is half-way to the A6.
    It has a 5 cylinder engine as opposed to a 4, and the base engine is not a turbo like the 1.8T one. That has some implications that I'm sure you understand.
    With that said, the A4 is an awesome car, and I would be hard pressed to choose between them.
    The only thing I can say is, reserve judgement until you have sitten in and driven them both. I bet the Volvo will feel quite a bit more spacious inside.
    Pricing is hard to second-guess without knowing their market strategy. I mean, the base Mercedes C-class is a lot more expensive than the A4 too, and that is still a 4 cylinder engine. You can't compete on price if you want to become a status brand.

On another subject, the R looks awesome. Especially the back-end. Those tires really brings out the agressive stance of the car. But what's with those big grates on the front bumper? And what is that gray thing on the back bumper??

• rollierollie Posts: 337
    Regarding post #62:

I like this car except for the gray crap as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear or at least be painted the same color as the body. The egg crate lower air dam in front is a mock-up I hope. I can't see this being the final production version since there aren't even fog lights in that area.

Hmmm...is it just me or do those wheels look like they came from a BMW and are missing the center cap?

Does anybody know if the AWD uses a Haldex clutch or a Torsen differential? I read that Volvo had licensed Audi's Quattro system and with 300 hp I imagine it will debut on the S60 T5R?

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com