Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• jcutterjcutter Posts: 5
    I am an American living in Japan, and I will be returning to the US very soon. I found that Volvo (like most other companies) has a expat program whereby I can purchase a Volvo for delivery in the US upon my return. The pricing seems to be very good.

I got the S60 2.4T, metallic paint, Premium Package, Cold Weather Pack, Locking Wheels, and Extra Power amp for $30,000 delivered.

Seems to be quite a discount from the best online quotes I have been able to find.

I was lucky, and ordered just after the closing of the 2002 book, so I will get a 2003 delivered in mid-November at 2002 prices.

I've long respected Volvo quality from afar, but I am already anticipating getting behind the wheel of my very first Volvo.

Does this seem like an okay deal? I think folks travelling to Europe can get a similar deal on European delivery.
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    Calling your new Volvo a Ford is pretty ignorant. The S60 was designed by Volvo BEFORE the S80, and they remain true Volvos.

But if calling them Fords makes you feel any better, go right ahead. You will just look ill-informed and dumb.
  • italia10italia10 Posts: 10
    Hello guys,
    I am ready to make a deal on a 2.4T AWD (leasing for now) and I am curious to know if the Pirelli P6 tires that come with the car are a good all-around tire. If not, would the dealer give me the option to change them to say Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (are those better?), or something else?
    Also, are there any software changes that I should consider if/when picking up the car?
    Thanks in advance....
  • esp63esp63 Posts: 27
    If you can dump the P6's, do so. I've replaced 4 tires in 7 months. The sidewalls are too soft and don't absorb impacts very well. I hit a small pothole(looked like a small puddle in the rain) at 35mph and blew out the front tire and bubbled the back. I've read that a great many people have bubbled the side-walls on the p6's. They also allow the tire to roll over onto shoulder too easily and I've picked up un-repairable punctutres in the siping along the shoulders twice. The tires provide good traction but, IMHO, the side-walls are not stout enough. Low-profile tires should have more solid side-walls. If you drop down to 'h' rated tires(do you exceed or even approach 130+ mph?), your options open up to the new Potenza's.
  • gfelkergfelker Posts: 26
    Am in the market for an S60 AWD in the Southeast (North Carolina)--Edmunds now says 0% financing through August on selective models--has anyone heard anything else about this? The volvo website is still advertising their lease deal, but nothing about financing support--maybe its a regional program?
  • jasonm5jasonm5 Posts: 3
    I was looking at a S60 T5, it was a demo model with 400 miles. It was fairly loaded with leather, manual/automatic, etc. what do you think a good price would be? or what amount should be deducted because of the "demo" status? Any help would be much appreciated.
  • bskirkbskirk Posts: 5
    This S60 has Ash Gold metallic paint, premium pkg, touring pkg, cold weather pkg, fog lights, tinted windows, and 3 mm clear bra mask. I agreed to a 3 yr lease, 12k miles/yr for $5440 "walk out" (down payment, fees, 1st months paymt) and then $332/mo for 35 months. Residual is about $20,300. This deal came from Rickenbaugh Volvo in Denver.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Posts: 358
    I would be surprised if the dealer will give you a credit toward Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. However, you can always ask.... My personal experience with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires has been great. I have summer weather that is misty (ocean fog) which mixes with road oil for a slippery driving experience followed by winter weather that occaisionally dips to freezing. The combination of AWD and DSTC plus the Michelins was the best approach to all of the above. Since I am also leasing my S-60, the Pirelli's are stacked in a corner of my garage and will be re-mounted on the car at the end of the lease. If I end up purchasing at the end of the lease, the Pirelli's will be on eBay. If you want to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Tirerack.com had the best prices and stock on hand when I was looking for tires.
  • We purchased an S60 2.4T about two months ago, and although we love the car, the gas mileage has consistently been below what was stated on the sticker (approx. 19 miles per gallon with about a third of the miles being driven on the freeway). Has anyone else had mileage as bad as ours -- should we take it in for a servicing??? Any help would be appreciated.
    How many miles have you put on the car? For the first 3,000 miles or so, the drive train will be breaking in and there will be lower gas mileage as a result. If 2/3s of your time has been spent in city driving, 19 miles per gallon is not unusual for a new car. (I was getting 18 in city driving for the first 1,000 miles with an S60 AWD which also uses the 2.4T....) If you are beyond the 3,000 mile mark, try taking the car for a long ride on the highway after filling up and see what mileage you get.
  • eps105eps105 Posts: 216
    My father-in-law recently purchased a 2002 S60 AWD with the 17" Thor alloy wheels. They are absolutely gorgeous wheels, but he says they are constantly requiring cleaning due to excessive brake dust even if he drives the car only a few miles. His previous S40 was the same way.

Does anybody know of any tricks to keeping these clean, or have any comments as to whether this is normal for the OEM brakes on Volvos?
    I have the Thors as well and other than cleaning them, there really is nothing you can do. I especially notice brake bust after it rains.

What I usually do is every other morning i will garba arag from the garage and quickly wipe my rims down. Of course if they are really bad just wash the wheels more often.

I am averaging 26mpg in my T5 5spd. Never thought I would get 400mi a tank! But I noticed it got a lot better after 3000miles.
  • I own a 2001 S60 base model. I have had the car at the dealer 3 times for the same problem with no resolution. With the car in drive sitting at a stoplight, the idle surges up and down. When releasing the break, the car has a slight jolt. It is almost as if the car went to sleep. The dealer claimed to put through a Volvo fix the first time, but the problem persists. Anyone experienced this same problem? Thanks
    I have had 5 volvos over the years, and they all "dusted" the wheels. The dusting is most severe on the front wheels. There are some automotive accessory vendors that make a shield that reduces the deposit of brake dust on the wheels; however, the shield will interfere with the flow of air to the rotor which can result in brake fade in extreme cases. Personally, the dusting is just something that I put up with - along with having to wash the car more frequently because it is black. My worst experience was right after taking delivery - I washed the car, went for a drive and when I returned, the car was covered with yellow dust from a cloud of pollen that I drove through....
  • desaljsdesaljs Posts: 24
    Regarding the surge you feel when you take your foot off the brake, this is normal behavior since the transmission automatically shifts into neutal when you come to a stop with the transmission in "drive". When you let your foot off the brake it shifts back into drive from neutal and that is the movement you feel. When my S60 2.4T was new, I could feel this sensation, but with time and miles (12,000 now)it has almost become imperceptable.

I terms of the idle surging, I get some of that when I come to a stop, and it is more noticable with the A/C on. The idle jumps up a few hundred RPM, then settles down to an even 700. I have tried to have the dealer sort this out for me, but it never has been properly addressed. It could have something to do with the fan turning on, or be related to the electronic throttle mechanism. I will ask about it again with my 15,000 mile service. It could be considered "normal" but I would like to see if can be resolved with a software download.
  • desaljs, thanks for the feedback. I didn't experience the problem until around 28,000 miles. I now have 36,000 miles and will continue to bring it to the attention of the dealer. Other than this, the car has ran beautifully. thanks again.
  • Yes I do get that too, with freeway combined. I'd be lucky to get more than 17 with surface streets on my T5. I don't drive very fast either, and I use premium. Also control speed to save gas, but i still only get 19.0 if i'm lucky.

Other things I can complain about with my s60 T5 is turbo lag, bad traction, bad turns, tire scraping on the fenders, VERY BUMPY ride, Lack of compartments, no coin holder, front impact has horrible 4 star safety, no skip protection on cds.
    I hate this car, i shouldn't have bought it.
    Sorry to hear about your complaints. A coin holder is behind the cupholder in the front wall of the CD storage area under the center armrest. Regarding safety rating, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (iihs.org) rates the S60 rather highly, so I don't know what you are referring to. Have you discussed the rest of your issues with anyone from Volvo?
    Did you ever test drive the car before buying it???
  • bskirkbskirk Posts: 5
    Dealer pushing this pkg for new S60. Puts Teflon on the paint, treats carpets with Banoyl protectant, applies conditioners to vinyl and leather. I could do all of this myself for much less, but they guarantee it: if a spot won't come out of carpet, vinyl, or leater, they will have it repaced. Anyone out there tried this or dealt with a similar offer?