Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

Comments

• billykrebsbillykrebs Member Posts: 33
    Was that a 2004 or a 2005?
    Couple more questions:

1. What is the exact Philly dealer? I found 6 in the area. Is it Main Line Infiniti?

2. What were the specifics? cap cost reduction, if any? mileage per year?

Thanks.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Infiniti of Willow Grove.

It was a 2005 Infiniti G35x with premium package. $3500 down.
  • jarchdeaconjarchdeacon Member Posts: 22
    I'm personally pretty curious about the $350/mo for a 3-year lease on an '05 G35x. Is it possible that the dealer quoted you a 'base rent' figure, and not your actual monthly lease payment figure? I know this is a Volvo S60 forum, but I think the question in general about lease rates will likely be of interest to others here as well.

My math shows the MSRP for an '05 G35x with Premium option to be $36,590 from the Infiniti web site. With a cap reduction of $3500 off the MSRP and assuming a lease term of 36 months with a money factor of 0.002 (4.8%) - which would be a pretty good rate - the base rent would be $380.48/month I believe. The lease payment would be higher as it would include state taxes and the cost of money. With a 6% state tax rate, and a money factor of 4.8%, I calculate the lease payment to be $514.57 unless I messed up in my calculations somewhere!

If you really did get a lease rate of $350/month with only $3500 down on an '05 G35X - I'll give them a jingle (or email to internet mgr) to talk about a coupe even though I don't live in that state. I've been looking at the Volvo S60R but am leaning towards the '05 G35 coupe as our family already has a 2000 Volvo S80 T6.
    I honestly dont remember the exact figures, I didnt really write anything down as I was just curious. How has your S80 held up, by the way? I know the '99s had lots of issues, most of which were corrected for '00, but that they didnt really get everything fixed until '01 and '02.
    Lexusguy - we have 76,000 miles on our 2000 S80 T6 and my wife and I are very pleased with the car (our 2nd Volvo). Only complaint that has never been resolved has been with the NAV system which during daylight hours is too dim (very hard to see in sunlight). Other then that, I'd give the S80 T6 an A-minus grade.

The S80 drives as smoothly as it was when I bought it in Mar 2000. In fact, I just put another 1,000 highway miles on the S80 over the holiday break and remarked to my wife how well the car still drove. Mileage was around 22 mpg for the trip (not amazing, but not bad either for a fully loaded car).

I do highly recommend the extended warranty from Volvo if anyone plans on keeping an S80 beyond its factory warranty (I'd assume the same for an S60). I feel my extended warranty purchase was a good investment. The extended warranty from Volvo Irvine wasn't inexpensive at $2200 but 30,000 miles later, the extended warranty has more or less paid for itself (parts on S80s can be quite expensive).

As a result of the good support by Volvo under this extended warranty plan, I plan to keep the car until the warranty expires at its 100,000 mile point (maybe even after that)!
    What sort of things have had to be replaced in your time with the car? I ask because a friend likes the car and is attracted to used ones as they are dirt cheap. I suggested an '01+ because of the S80's teething issues, but I assume that adding an extended warranty to a used car is impossible?
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    A few weeks ago (on my 2001 S60R) I had a problem with rear doors, fuel tank door and the fuel guage all malfunctioning at the same time. The fuel guage read empty (even though it was nearly full) and one couldnt refuel as the little fuel door wouldnt open! But all these systems were working 24 hrs later so I didnt get anything looked at or fixed.

Then today my front passenger window wouldnt close. Its great that its the day before New Years so that I can't use the car for FOUR DAYS (hope it doesnt rain).

Is this par for the course with Volvo - lousy electronics?
    I wouldnt say that type of thing is normal for all Volvo's...however, if things do go wrong on a Volvo, it tends to be electronic failure rather than mechanical, as with say VW.
    The S80 has something like 20 different chips in the car, most of them called "computers" by the service rep. Any of the computers can set you back $500 or more for parts alone (before labor) which is a big reason I opted for the extended warranty, combined with the fact that my wife and I really liked the car and felt it was worth keeping. And yes, the poor tradein value of the S80 also helped us in our decision to keep it.

Personally, the S80 has not been a problem car for me, and I've had no one area of the car I'd call problematic to answer your question about that. Just things here and there throughout the engine primarily that are pricey to get fixed. Most component failures (or parts starting to 'act up) have been covered under the extended warranty. Some bills would have set me back $1200 or more but all I had to pay was our deductible of $100 per visit for the things that failed under warranty.

Anyway - I'd expect the S60 to be less expensive to maintain compared to the S80 once it gets past the 4/50 warranty since the S60 has fewer computers onboard (as I understand the car), but that is just an educated guess.

As to the extended warranty from Volvo dealers, actually, when I got it, one *could* purchase it at any time so long as the vehicle passed a checkup by the dealer and had been properly maintained while under factory warranty (as mine was). Further, the extended warranty was most affordable *if* the vehicle was still covered under the original factory warranty (mine was as well). I purchased the extended warranty on my S80 when it had 44,000 miles on the odometer. The dealer 'checkup' from Volvo Irvine cost something like $125 or so and part of it counted toward my regular maintenance / service as I recall.
    Interesting, thats good to know, thanks.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    I have the 2.5T. I'm not disappointed at all with the acceleration. Brand new I felt the engine was a litle weak but as it broke in (10,000 km) acceleration improved noticeably.

It's not a rocket but it gets the job done very nicely. I'm not sure we should drive those big SUV like a small sports car anyway.
    Yes, but my point is a FWD with good winter tires is better than an AWD with 4 seasons tires on snow.

Yes, an AWD with good winter tires is better than anything else.
    I had a similar problem once on my previous S70. Turn out that the swith to prevent the 2nd row occupants from using window switch was "in between" lock and unlocked. I put it back to "unlock" and everything was fine. Give it a look!
    I'm not so sure about that. We have always just used the Lexus OEM tires on my wife's RX, no Blizzaks or Arctic Alpins or anything, and it does very very well in the snow.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    lexusguy,

The snow handling is a relative quality. I have done very well on my XC90 on stock tires through over 100 miles of heavy snow storm without chains, but still agree with guyf - snow tires will make the difference during braking and sharp turning, when my stock Michelin did not have enough grip. No traction control system (which, by the way is more sophisticated on Volvo) can provide a friction when there is none. It just manages the existing traction smarter. Snow tires definitely provide more traction to manage.
    I definitely agree that snow tires are better than none. What I was saying though Is im not so sure a FWD car with snows can drive better in snowy conditions than an AWD\4WD vehicle with all-seasons.
    Lexusguy,

In my case, my wife's S60 FWD handles the snow much better then my XC90 on 4 seasons.

In Quebec we get our first snow late October and the last in April-May; that's a full 5 months a year driving on the white stuff.

The AWD on 4-seasons will accelerate better than the FWD on winter's but there is more to driving on snow than just accelarating! You need to turn and stop. This is where the winter tires will more than make up for the time lost accelerating from a dead stop.

This being said, I drove a Highlander Limited for a week with the OEM Goodyears and I must say they handled quite well in the snow and ice.
    Yeah we have never felt the need to spend hundreds on Blizzaks and tire changes and alignments for the RX. I'm sure we also get a lot less snow here in southern PA than you do in Cananda as well. My LS on the other hand, absolutely requires snow tires to even move in the snow.
    http://aolsvc.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/103785/article.html

I would have thought an intelligent woman would choose a Volvo everytime over the overpriced crap mentioned in the Edmunds opinion article. Dont women value safety?
    The S60 really isnt a rich people car. It would be cheaper than any car on that list (though not by much compared to G35). What that list basically proves is that Volvo seriously needs to modernize and take its S80 upmarket if it wants to compete more seriously with the rest of Europe. The S80 in its current form is more akin to the old Acura RL or Toyota Avalon, than a Benz E320. Also, asking clients to sit in the back of an S60 for any amount of time would be a very easy way to lose those clients.
    Intelligent is the word I used, not rich - that was Edmunds observation.
    I think its kind of funny that the G35 made their list for its class of car, and then wasnt even mentioned as runner up to the BMW 3 series in the "Editors most wanted" list. That prize went to TL. In my opinion, the only car on the list that I can seriously picture rich women buying is the RX. In my experience women LOVE high seating positions, not cavernous big-nosed Audi A8s or Jaguar XJs. That list of cars seemed a lot more male than female focused to me.
    "Dont women value safety?

And they sure do. Just take a look to the average car driven by women in such upscale conservative areas as, let say, Hancock Park or Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles - Volvo, Volvo and Volvo... Tons of XC90 and S60.
    "Dont women value safety?

And they sure do. Just take a look to the average car driven by women in such upscale conservative areas as, let say, Hancock Park or Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles - Volvo, Volvo and Volvo... Tons of XC90 and S60.

Exactly - thats why I think Edmunds has got it a bit wrong.
    The XC90 is definitely a good car for women, I'm surprised it didnt make the list. In my experience women also seem to really like the RX and MDX quite a bit. (It was a tough choice for my wife between those two cars). The whole uni-body "soft-roader" segment was basically invented for women. I just cant see a woman getting excited about an Audi A8 though, in my experience women want things to be simple and straight foward. My wife does not read manuals, and she loved the Lexus and Acura very simple touch screen Nav systems. Do they really expect women to take the time to learn MMI, or worse iDrive and COMAND that are in the BMWs and Mercedes that they thought women would like?

It seems like the cars they picked are for DRIVERS, ie picked for skid pad tests and road feel. Most women just dont care about that. They want safety, simplicity, and reliability, something the Germans are most definitely NOT.
    Totally agree with 2109 as well as with 2108.

I just could not see any of the female executives or highly paid professionals wanting the "drivers" cars. And I have many peers, friends, bosses, peers of my bosses, etc. that fit this category.

They are too busy in their lives in general, that they need relatively simple, reliable, but yet perceivably upscale looking cars.

I personally know only one women executive driving BMW 330 coupe, but she just came to this category.

And being at the Volvo S60 thread I have emphasized on Volvo.
  • alexfalexf Member Posts: 1
    About to go test drive a 2004 base S60 that's never been driven. It's a manual with the cloth seats and no options. They want 22,995.

MSRP with destination charge is just over 27.

I've seen invoice listed at around 24,700 and 25,300. Not sure which is correct.

Thoughts on this price? Seems like a good price, but not a "can't pass this up" price. I'm looking in the New York area if that makes a difference. Thanks.
    I have just put new Nokians on my leased S60, now if I return the car (if Volvo give me a silly buy price) and lease a new S60 or S40 is it sensible to think about putting the Nokians on the new car. Is the S40 even the same wheel size I wonder?
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    After nearly three years with my 2002 S60 T5M, I have to say that, overall, the car has exceeded my expectations. The car still looks great, the seats and interior materials have worn very well. The Black Saphire paint also has aged well and looks brand new. No squeaks, rattles, not even at -40C.

First Volvo, 29 at the time, I fell in love with the style and even though I was mildly concerned with the "stodgy" Volvo image, everyone that I have run into, mostly friends of mine and acquaintances, instantly lump my car with the Germans. I did not buy the car expecting panache or curb appeal, but it seems Volvo has indeed made inroards with the S60. It has definitely made people aware of the car compared to the German manufacturers. A good thing.

Of course, it does not drive like a particluar German, the 330i. My car, even fitted with summer tires (Dunlops), still pales in comparison. However, the likelihood of myself driving this car beyond 8/10ths, is remote. But up to that point, the car has very good grip, brakes and the steering, once accustomed, is decent. The torque steer is ridiculous on my car...the demo seemed to have almost none! Then again, I think my T5 may have a "qualy spec" engine (any F1 fans?).

The suspension of the car is what makes the car. While sloppy at above 8/10ths (and scary when I had the opportunity!), I think Volvo has sacrificed winning comparison tests for the greater good. This car is simply excellent around town, on the highway and, again I must stress this, at 8/10ths...a level which is close to the edge, but not on it nor over it.

The seats, three years in, are tremendous. having back problems, this is the first car, ever, that I have not grimaced nor shifted or played with any seat settings in three years!

The only problems that this car has given is an occasionally glovebox rattle, burnt out tailight (three times, I think it is a loose wire because it goes away with a gentle tap on the lens) and a dumb fuel gauge that says that the tank is empty (20g -80L) even though I have never been able to put in morer than 17g-068L. Hate that actually. Also a poorly calibrated temp gauge and mph speedo on the trip computer.

Lastly, this car is made for Canada. In Ottawa, it is freezing and this car always starts but warms quickly and exudes refinement in -40C weather. It is for this reason that I am thinking of another.

I never get the same car twice, but this may be the first time. the 330i is still in th eback of my head, the new C320 Sport is nice and the G35 Coupe is my last contestant. If I do get another it will be an R.

Long post, but how else can you break down three years!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    have you tried the C-class benz? Just curious because I recently tried the E-class to see if it would replace my S70 and found it basically on par with my Volvo, therefore I did not feel compelled to spend the money to replace the Volvo. So I think you may be disappointed with the C-class.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• aegaeg Member Posts: 23
    I appreciate hearing about your postive experience with the S60.Thinking of buying the R although concerned that the only way to purchase is with the MT which would eliminate my wife from driving the car. We have a XC70 and thought we would switch from time to time as the situation requires. Another issue for me what about that back seat. Perhaps you do not transport others frequently. Is that a issue for you?

To others reading this post, if I went with the 2.5 AWD is the 4 C suspension worth paying for the option. How about the premium Stereo. In addition would it be foolish to buy the R with the geartronic, given his diminished performance vs the MT.
    "Lastly, this car is made for Canada."

I agree with you Dino, that's probably why I have 2 Volvos in my driveway.
    I've always found the C class to be overpriced for what it delivers. Its interior has improved nicely for '05, before that it was a joke. Still, its kind of a lame duck as the 320 engine is ancient and due for replacement when the C gets a redesign for '07. The 320 is "sporty" for a non-AMG Mercedes, but thats as far as I'd go. You'll notice it has never come close to beating a 330 in a comparison, and at over $40 large.. whats the point? The G35 can drive circles around it, and has a more powerful engine than the C350 will have right now. Also, Mercedes has cancelled its free maintanence program for '05.
    Well, the 2005s have trickled in so far and, apparently, the C320 Sport is an ordered vehicle. Meaning: no Benz dealer wants a manual Benz on the lot unless it is sold. Size and materials are on par with the Volvo, if not slightly better now that they have made it better for '05. Sitting in a 04 C32 AMG and then a 05 C320, the results are very noticeable in terms of quality and appearance. In 2002 I looked at the C Class but was turned off by the cheap interior.

If you go to the benz site (.ca), they have nice stuff on the new 05 and the C320 sport, with those gorgeous fat tires and other exterior modifications, short throw 6 speed, looks great. My only concern is 218bhp...coming from my T5.

The reality is at $59K CAD, it is exepensive, but the residual is very strong which makes it comparable with the group of cars that I am looking at.
    yeah, i had heard there were improvements recently, so I don't know what they are like now. I wouldn't worry about power. The E320 I drove was quite powerful compared to my T5 mostly because its got so much more off-the-line torque.

Hmmm... not sure how comparable it is even with strong residuals. How strong are we talking about here? Oh, wait, I just realized you said CAD. What is an S60R in CAD?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

You are exactly right. My back seats are hardly used. However, the end result of my car was not how it started. It was supposed to be the family car. I was breaking my back on my wife's Contour with the baby seat and another was on the way. The back seat was better than most in its segment. At the time in 2002, it was 330i, X-Type, A4 and C Class. Six months after I got the Volvo, we ended up getting an 02 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 which has simply been a fantastic, reliable family vehicle. I am planning on getting an XC90 (or maybe an MDX) next year when the Explorer's lease expires so that leaves me with options like a G35 Coupe or even a 330Ci M for myself because no one sits in the back...for my needs an f1 car would do! I am always by myself!

A few times that I did have my son in the car seat, we were able to put two people on each side in the back seat with no complaints. I think anyone under 5'9" will be comfy back there. The way the rear seats are scooped out made it alright for a 5 hour trip for friends of mine.

I think that the R provides more than just a 6spd experience. You are gaining exclusivity, a top notch high performance experience that encompasses more power, much better handling, brakes and with optional leather interior and nice exterior accents, a real luxurious unique car.

Am I assuming correctly that the XC70 will be gone in favour of the R? If not, keep the R manual....hopefully she'll get over it! Another option is the T5 which has been fine tuned inside and out for '05. My T5 in the snow, and we got a tonne yesterday, coupled with DSTC and Michelin Arctic Alpins, makes AWD unnecessary.
    If you are buying the car, then I would somewhat agree. however, the lease packages are very competitive. The C320 with a 6spd should do 0-60 in about 7s. The C350 would chop another .5 at least, bringing it into T5 territory. the thing that attracts me about the car is the Sport model.

Stiffer roll bars, shocks and 225s front, 245 rear, nice 17" wheels to boot, you get a great looking, aggressive Mercedes that prices about the same as a 330i and just a little more than a G35 which leases less well because of poorer residuals.

Sure, it never beat the Bimmer but usually beats the Volvo, but like I said earlier, those ratings are usually based on a heavy hand taking these cars to the limit and beyond. the Volvo fares poorly in tha scenario, as probably to a lesser extent the Benz, but living with a car, day in day out, many may find that cars like the S60, C320 may actually be better year round than the likes of the higher strung G35 or 330i.
    Actually, the rates have changed up here, I guess with the New Year. Right now, same money down, a three year lease with the Benz (57,700CAD) and the S60R (61,820 CAD), the Volvo is 65.00/mo cheaper. The 330ciM (58,595) is 93.00 cheaper than the Benz! The G35C (48,674) is 150.00 cheaper. These are 3 year leases. That is suprising because last month the Infiniti was more than the Bimmer. Now it is over 60 bucks cheaper! Wow, I guess the residual values are starting to catch up with the G35C being rated as one of the best valued cars.

The Benz residual has dropped from 64% to 56% for 3 years. That is not good and now is not a good value. If I did buy the car last month, the payment were the same as the 330i!
  • ascott1ascott1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone out there know of any way to replace a remote key for a 2004 S60R without paying the dealership $360 to key and program a new remote? I purchased a remote on e-bay with the code to program it and the dealership says it won't work.
    i was actually going to suggest that they would change if they hadn't already. Based on the huge injection of E320s into the market recently, resale has gone down quite a bit. I'd imagine that holds true for the C-class, as well.

I've been seeing similar selling prices for S80s and E320s lately.

I have been away for awhile since my last post due to family emergencies, but the day everything happened I did get a chance to drive all 3 cars. My preferences have now changed.

If you all remember I was deciding between all 2005 model years and I am going to lease. I am looking at the S60 2.5t fwd, the G35, and now the TL w/out NAV.

The S60 I love the interior, the looks, the safety, the local dealer, and I have determined the engine is adequate. I drove it and I believe that it does fit my daily needs my only concern is the small back seats. I love the comfort of the front seat because I do have a bad back and the seats are wonderful. The lease deals on these, as of 2 weeks ago, were around $450/mo for 36 months with $900 down on a car with a $35.5k MSRP. Get it for about $32,500 since you can't use the Volvo money on the lease.

The G35 was a pure pleasure to drive. More torque and power than you would ever need. Like driving a race car around town. It was a blast to drive fast and at high speeds. My problem here is that I doubt I will really drive like that in day to day driving. My other problem is that I didn't have sufficient head room. My head grazes the roof. I am only 6'1" but I do prefer an upright seating position due to my back. Also, I still don't think the interior is up to par with the Volvo and the TL. I love the exterior. The dealer is 1 hr away. I got a 36 month lease deal at $425 month with $425 down off of an MSRP of $35k, buy it at $32k. I get VPP pricing thanks to my father.

Next was the TL. This could be the winner. I didn't expect to love this car but the interior is fantastic, the engine is wonderful, stereo is wonderful, bluetooth is a great standard feature, and the rear interior is the most spacious of the bunch. I have 2 inches over my head in this car with great seats as well. It drives with almost no torque steer in the automatic and is plenty quick. I don't love the exterior, but it is better than I thought. The dealer is 1 hr away. Pricing is in between the G and the S60 on lease quotes.

I am leaning towards the TL today with the S60 next and the G last.
    I have two remotes - one is defunct. I was thinking of having the bum one fixed - but at that price, forget it. I guess that would not be covered by the warranty?

Maybe one of those shops that fit alarm systems could do something?
    Mercedes reliability is absolutely in the toilet, and its FINALLY starting to affect used car selling prices. Mercedes was riding high for 20 years on the perception of the best build quality in the world, but people are starting to figure out that just isnt true anymore, and all those "tronic" features like to fail. A lot.

Billy, the TL is still a fantastic value, which is why its flying off the shelves. Dont forget the Acura touch screen Nav walks all over the Infiniti and Volvo systems. If I got one, I would toss the brakes for some Brembos or Wilwoods though.
    So I happened by the dealer today and took a used S80 T6 for a spin. After it was done and I told him I wasn't interested (too soft for me), he talked me into trying out an S60 2.5T. I gotta say, I was thoroughly impressed with the power compared to my T5. Its definitely got more spunk down low. Yeah, my T5 has got a bit bigger kick when passing, but the 2.5T still has plenty of passing power and the around-town advantages, I think, more than make up for that.

ANYWAY, what I really wanted to share was the pricing for those on the fence (I'm looking in your direction, billykrebs ;) ). He had several '04 demo models with about 5K miles on them that he said he'll be letting go in the next couple of weeks. The one I was interested in with a sticker of over $33K he would sell for less than $25K. That's pretty tempting. In any case, I would think this is not just a special deal through this one dealer and you should be able to find a similar situation through other dealerships as well.

• ejgabeejgabe Member Posts: 9
    I am approaching my 30,000 maintenance and have received conflicting advice on when to get a tune-up. One dealer is stating that I should have a tune-up and new plugs with the 30,000 maintenance. Another dealer states that the 2003 S60T does not need a tune-up until 100,000. Obviously the maintenance without the tune-up is signficantly cheaper. Any advise? Thanks.
    What does your owner manual says?
    I thought that there is no such thing as a tune-up for modern cars.

I would ask both dealers to give me an itemized list of what do they mean by tuning a car, and then compare it with the maintenance schedule in your manual.
  • s6025ts6025t Member Posts: 23
    It is very easy to tell if a 2.5T needs a tune up.

Does it idle rougher than a Mack truck?

Is there enough turbo lag at low speeds to wonder if you're out of fuel?

Does the engine growl like an injured Big Foot when under load over 3k rpm?

If so, the engine is running at factory specs and no tune up is required.
    It is all cool, but what is a tune-up for 2.5T?