Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• FYI.. I got my S60 2.4t with options bringing the cars MSRP to almost $35,000. After dealer rebates and discounts my Lease value is a bit over $26,000 - almost 10 grand off MSRP! . Volvo is dealing like crazy on these cars! I see similar ad's in the papers every week for outstanding lease values!
    Shop around!
  • hclllhclll Posts: 35
    If I purchase the car instead of buying it, what discount can I expect?

And does you lease include an buyout option that allows you to pay the $26000 off after 3 years?
  • esaesa Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I am considering buying a volvo because of it's safety reputation. I have been looking at the S60's. Are volvos reliable? Have any of you experience problems with the cars? I've always liked how square the volvos were, but when I'm finally ready to buy it, they go and change the shape.
    What are you guys paying for your S60 2.4T automatic? According to Edmunds, I can expect to to pay around $33,000.
  • Its a normal lease through Chase..NOT VOLVO LEASING.. My buyout is about $17K. The deal was pretty incredible..It was a result of incentive through Volvo. Not sure that that particular incentive is out there but there is no way I'd pay $33,00 for a 2.4T. Its a nice car but definitely NOT a $33,000 car! Shop around and find a volume dealer.
    Good Luck
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    You must have got your car before March.
    There were lease incentives on the S60 of up to $5500, they have been discontinued, in all regions as far as I know.
  • I picked up my Volvo in early December and there was a lease incentive of about $5,500 as long as you didnt lease through Volvo Leasing so I leased through Chase. (go figure that one out). Thre dealer had already given me apporximately a $5,000 discount off the car.
    But considering how bad the dealer was and how babd Volvo leasing is, in hindsight I should have bought something else. The Accuras were a close second with good incentives and much more reliable.
  • OOPS...Sorry for the bad typing in that last post!!! :)
  • hgozzohgozzo Posts: 2
    My dealer has several 2003 S60 AWDs in stock.
    All have the standard TRACS but none have
    DSTC(Dynamic Stability and Traction Control).

It is too late to custom order, but dealer
    would try to find if any other dealers have
    the S60 with DSTC.

My question is: do I really need DSTC? Is the standard TRACS traction control, with AWD,
    sufficient for bad weather driving?

I know that the new S60R has AWD paired with DSTC.

Any comments?
    IMHO, not at all necessary for the AWD.
    The R has it because of the power output of the R engine.
    The normal AWD drive system should be more than enough to help you out in bad weather.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Posts: 358
    I would disagree with volvomax - the DSTC option is a desirable option with AWD; even if you have to wait until the next model year to get it. AWD gives you superior traction (compared to FWD or RWD); however, if you start to get into a spin, only DSTC will be able to interrupt the event. Standard TRACS is only for low speed wheel spinning (such as would be encountered if you are starting from rest on ice).

An additional benefit of the DSTC implementation on the S60 AWD is the ability to disconnect the Haldex driveline in milliseconds. This has the benefit of further enhancing DSTC's ability to fight a spin in process.

Examples of when DSTC could be life-saving: 1.) Hydroplaning, 2.) Ice on a turn. There are probably other examples; however, these immediately occur. My basic conclusion is that I would not order a car without DSTC.
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    Stability control is one of the most important innovations in vehicles in the past ten years. It is recognized for controlling skids that lead to accidents, and rollovers. Even AWD/4WD-equipped SUV's benefit from having stability control to reduce the chances of rollovers. It's why manufacturers like Mercedes-Benz (which co-invented stability control with Bosch) have it on all their vehicles, regardless of trim level. It's why the top-of-the-line XC90 has not only DSTC, but the Roll Stability Control (RSC) variant.

The benefits of stability control are well-documented, from autojournalists to the NHTSA. I won't buy another vehicle without stability control.

You might be fine in an S60 without DSTC, but why get a Volvo and all its safety heritage, and be missing it?
    Is it worth the $1000 for it?
    How much winter driving do you do?
    W/ the Haldex drive system I doubt you could get the system to engage in the rain.
    Ice yes, but a little care in driving will go alot further than reliance on technology.
    SUV's are a different story.
    Their higher center of gravity and shorter tracks mean they need all the help they can get.
    Unless you live in the Frozen North save your $
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    I found it invaluable this winter to the point where I would refuse to brake around a corner near my house (don't worry, I could see around te corner!) and always had a kick at watching the car do it's thing when I turned the wheel. It was like someone was driving te car. Brakes were applied and you can distinctly feel which wheel is getting the brakes applied.

With the AWD, you don't REALLY need it, but on my T5, it is invaluable. If I were you I would get it.
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    Well, Volvomax I think you live somewhere where it doesn't snow or rain (like ARIZONA!)

Having owned these cars in the slop of icy winters I can attest to the true value of DSTC. I've posted links to winter test reviews of this system before and autojournalist called it the greatest safety innovation since the seatbelt! AWD has some uses but it doesn't compare to DSTC when it comes to an ability to prevent a skid. I've posted my story many times before so I'll be brief in saying that it saved me from taking a dip in the frozen Charles River in Boston a few years back.

I have DSTC on both of my cars AND WILL NEVER buy a vehicle without stability (yaw) control again.

Also, your insurance company will give you a discount to boot for having this system on your car (you have to tell them though).

-rollie
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    Is it worth the $1000 for it?

On an S60 it's $695, not $1,000.

At $695 it's a rather expensive option, I don't think Volvo should charge that much. VW charges $280 for ESP.

Or, better yet, Volvo should really make DSTC standard in all their vehicles. That would befit Volvo's position as an industry leader in safety. Sure it'll raise the cost of the vehicle, but not by $695.

It's also a shame that Volvo requires that one buys the Premium Package to get DSTC. Fortunately most buyers want that package.

It seems almost silly now to buy a vehicle without DSTC. Saab 9-3's have it as standard equipment. MB has it on all C-Class vehicles. Don't BMW 3-series all come with stability control too?
  • hclllhclll Posts: 35
    Finally I saved up enough downpayment to buy a new ent-lux car to replace my 94 Max.

I wonder if the $5k discount plus $5k rebate deal on the S60 is still available now. If not, when can I expect another heavy discount?

And also, do you think an S60 2.4T can be had at $27k? If not, I have to think again.

Right now, an Acura TL can be had at $26500 and 2.9%APR. I like the look of S60, but its advantages such as good exterior, comfort, and safety, cann't beat Acura's smoothness and long list of features, if the two cars are not in the same price range.

ANy comments?
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    You can get the S60 2.4t for $27.7 through Volvo's Overseas Delivery program (check their website) without negotiating (and that includes airfare, hotel, insurance, shipping, etc.)

I suspect you may even be able to beat this price at a dealership (i.e., talking to a regular salesman) if you wait for the end of the 2003 model line (which is very soon.)

Good luck.

-rollie
  • aveghteaveghte Posts: 68
    The leasing specials advertised on Volvo's web site are for the base 2.4 model and the 2.4T model with the sports package.

I have two questions.

First do the special lease deals scale up to models with the Premium and Touring packages? I don't know if these lease specials are due to cash rebates, lower money factors or both.

Second how are the cloth seats on the S60? When I looked at BMW's their leatherette seats appeared almost as nice as the leather seats while Mercedes cloth seats don't look that nice. One of the dealers in my area seems to have a significant number of base models in inventory.

Thanks for your help!
  • and I love it. The cloth seats are very nice, IMHO, though I believe they are tough to clean out cat/dog hair, so if you've got a cat or dog beware. The seats are very very comfortable.