Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• rqcrqc Posts: 95
    I know a lot of people say there is no break-in period, but I disagree. I kept RPMs under 4000 for the first 1200 miles. At 500 and 1000 miles, I noticed significant "loosening up" of the engine. Also, I didn't use synthetic oil until the first oil change at 7500 miles to let the engine wear in better.

I suppose there's a chance it would run this great even if I didn't break it in this way, but I've done this with several cars now and the results have always been years of a great running engine and trouble-free driving.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Posts: 358
    rqc, did you drain the oil from the engine when you took delivery of the car and replace the oil with non-synthetic? From the factory, the car comes with synthetic. volvomax can confirm whether it is Mobil1 or some other oil.
  • reneerenee Posts: 13
    HI, I'd like to get your opinion on this car. I'm in Texas. It's a 2002 Volvo S60 T5, automatic, leather seats and the works. It was a service loaner at the Volvo dealer. ONly has around 10,800-11000 miles on it. Being sold for $26,900 + ttl. Is that a fair price? How much do you think I can negotiate down? If I buy it, should I have it inspected by an independent mechanic?

Thanks
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Volvo's don't come w/ full synthetic. Its a blend.
    Oddly, Volvo doesn't require synthetic for the R.
    First oil change on my R, synthetic is going in.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,527
    you are better off asking that question over in this discussion:
    /direct/view/.ee9c851

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

Gbrozen,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Good morning,
    I purchased a 2002 s60 T5 and yesterday when I was driving it home I experienced a weird sensation. When I pressed the breaks at one intersection, the steering wheel move to the left but the car did not seem to move with it. I pressed the breaks again and the wheel went to the left again. After that I had to straighten the steering wheel to keep driving. This did not happen again. Was this the Dynamic stability control system kicking in? The car has brand new pads and rotors and the roads were slightly wet.
    Thanks
  • Yes it was. I always experience some sensations trough the steering wheel, when stability system kicks in on my S80. Just hold on a steering wheel and the car will do the rest. I am always very impressed with the system, when driving at the ski resort my FWD with no chains and passing by with confidence the 4x SUV's, struggling on a road. The Volvo DST control is one of the best in the world, if not the best.
  • I live in CA and am in the market for a S60R. I have visited a few dealers, all of whom are trying to give me the runaround on how exclusive the car is and how they wouldn't dare discount it one dollar.

Obviously, this post suggests that there are deals out there.

One, I wanted to understand where (i.e., state or city) people have been successful in negotiating the price down. I am moving out of CA soon so I don't have to worry about making sure the car has specific CA-only emissions, etc. standards on it.

Second, does the $4,500 in financing cash still exist? Is it only for lease arrangements? A friend of mine in the Philly area just convinced a dealership to give him the $4,500 (he is leasing) although the dealership stated the deal officially expired last month.

Thanks in advance.
  • jiggyjiggy Posts: 10
    The 4500 cash back for leasing an s60 expired at the end of March.
    My friend leased a fully loaded s60R and received that discount. He made sure the dealer found him a leasing company that did not have a penalty for early termination and will buy out the lease next month.
    Thats one way you can use the lease cash break to your advantage.
  • lpblpb Posts: 1
    Maybe just a freak occurence, but the S60R I picked up over the weekend was discounted below invoice - of course, very few people are actually interested in the manual version of the vehicle in this area. Not leasing - I drive way too many miles for that, so I didn't qualify for the lease incentive. I think the dealerships are playing a game with you, but that's my 2 cents :)

LPB
  • dsylvadsylva Posts: 2
    Just trying to understand how the X-Plan works. If I get a PIN and get the standard discount, do I also get to apply the "Marketing Incentive" that is currently $3000?
    Dealer is supposed to apply all incentives that you qualify for.
  • larscalarsca Posts: 60
    Looking at the OSD price sheet for the S60R from the Volvo webpage, first of all it looks very very interesting. For instance, OSD pricing for the car of my choice with the options I want is approximately $37700. Retail price in the US comes to about $40600 (Edmunds price, not MSRP). But, on top of the US price I also have to pay tax and license, so my estimate puts that price closer to $44000 (maybe I'm off by $500 or so, but anyway...)

When you purchase OSD, is the $37700 it? Do I pay any taxes, license, handling, port fees, whatever? In other words, are there any "hidden" fees with OSD?

And one last question, does Volvo offer extended warranty for lets say 7 years/100000 miles or so, and what would that cost? And, can you do OSD and also get the extended warranty?

volvomax would probably know all about this, and if this info has been posted in this forum already I apologize.
    I thought this was interesting, but it raises the question "less sales tax" - that doesn't mean no sales tax, so how much is that?

"Free Swedish tourist registration and return shipment to the United States is included. There are no U.S. Customs Duty or port clearance fees. And when you consider that you will also pay less in sales tax and avoid expensive European rental car costs and rental car return restrictions (from one country to another) - the Volvo Overseas Delivery Program is definitely the way to go."
                                        - From www.flyvolvo.com
  • "When you purchase OSD, is the $37700 it? Do I pay any taxes, license, handling, port fees, whatever? In other words, are there any "hidden" fees with OSD?"

You pay the sales tax and the license fee, when you register your car. Please notice - both of those are paid to your local government, not to the Volvo. All other taxes and fees are included into the OSD price.
    You also save the destination charge with the OSD ($600 - $700).

"And one last question, does Volvo offer extended warranty for lets say 7 years/100000 miles or so, and what would that cost? And, can you do OSD and also get the extended warranty?"

Yes it does, the price is different in the different markets, I will estimate it at around $2000 for 84m/100000mi.
  • Yes, you do pay less in the sales tax, as tax is calculated based on the selling price.
    The OSD savings are, from what I know, 8-10% of the US price you would pay.
    So, the tax savings would be the same - 8-10%.

Also, the OSD is perfect in conjunction with the planned European vacations - you definitely save on the rental (a good $100 per day, maybe much more, if you buy S80 or XC90, and would want to rent somewhat similar), and you get 2 free transatlantic round trip tickets (can run as much as $2500 in the summer from the West coast)

We go to Europe every 2-3 years and buy new cars every 5-6 years, so for the second time we plan our "other" vacation around the purchasing cars through the OSD.

But, most of all, I believe that everyone who has gone with the OSD program will agree with me - That is a totally different, unforgettable car buying experience.
    OSD prices are typically 8-10% below US MSRP.

Tax and license fees are paid to your state when you register the vehicle.
    Car is paid for 30 days prior to pickup in Europe.

If you want an R you should check on availability. Volvo is in buildout right now. 2004's are being discontinued.
    As a matter of fact, Volvo has a Formula 1 trip available for August, you will get a 2005 S60R, 2 business class tickets and tickets to the Belgian Grand Prix. The first 15 people to order the R will be offered this package. The trip is $2495.
    I wish I had the money to get in on that deal, but sadly I don't. I'm still working on old bills before it's time for new car purchase, but boy-o-boy would I like to go and see a live F1 race! I've heard it's nothing like you expect, and more than you could imagine.

I'm not sure it's safe to go see the race in a brand new S60R though. Knowing me, I'd get alot of speeding tickets leaving the race...
  • jiggyjiggy Posts: 10
    Are they going to make a 2005 s60R? I thought they were only going to make the 2004's and be done until the next re-iteration.
    Will be built. Volvo is already accepting deposits for 2005 models for OSD.
    No major changes planned.
  • jay_cjay_c Posts: 4
    FWIW - A buddy just sold his S60R back to the dealership yesterday; got 28k for it with 22,000 miles on it (paid $40.5k). Loved the car, but Michigan road caused six (yes, 6) tires to blow out in just 1 year -- and three of those were after putting on aftermarket rims and beefier winter tires -- all Volvo approved. He had the 18" wheel package and the Brembos wouldn't allow anything smaller to go on in their place. Just a word to the wise if you live in a pothole state. This is not a knock on the R. He loved the car, but Michigan has the worst roads in the nation.
    I don't know, call me crazy, but I think that's a silly reason to take a $12K hit in depreciation. If that was the problem, than change out the brake system for a smaller setup and get 16s or 17s on there. It would have been FAR cheaper. I'm sure any T5 owner would have been more than happy to do an even swap of their rotors and calipers and probably do the labor for free.

• mike2mike2 Posts: 2
    I leased 3 Volvo's, all 02, S40, S60 and the S80. The S60 is the worst.. The latest problem was that the key would not turn. Car had to be towed, after 1 week the dealership finally received and replaced the cylinder. Now the other problem is that the windows will not go down at times.

The other on going problem has been the cold start, and continues stalling. The transmission continues to slip, and when at a full stop, it lunges into gear. The dealership has stated they down loaded a fix for these problems, but the issues are still the same. I have 30,000 miles on it, and 19 months to go on the lease. If I could get out of this one today, I would.

The other cars have been relatively problem free. The S40 lost one of the door guards, and the S80 battery had to be replaced at 15,000 miles. Why is the S60 so problematic???

It is really a shame that this car turned out the way it did. I am not going back to Volvo for my next car.
    The money wasn't the issue for him; its being stranded on the freeway for 2+ hours when you have a meeting to be at and a tire blows. Clients get pissed and you look unreliable even with the best of excuses and receipts to prove it. He looks at is as having an expensive 1 yr lease at $1,000 a month. Of course he spent probably $2500 or so on replacement tires and the winter rims...

He also explored the possibility of swapping things out and Volvo was adamantly against it. They said everything on the car is calibrated to work together, the ABS and ECM modules are tired to the brembo sensors, etc.
  • mike2mike2 Posts: 2
    Hi, I just found this website and I am gathering information for my case against Volvo re: Lemon Law.

I have had many, many problems with my 2002 S60. The latest problem was that the key would not turn. Car had to be towed, after 1 week the dealership finally received and replaced the cylinder. Now the other problem is that the windows will not go down at times.

The other on going problem has been the cold start, and continues stalling. The transmission continues to slip, and when at a full stop, it lunges into gear. The dealership has stated they downloaded a fix, still the same. I have 30,000 miles on it, and 19 months to go on the lease. If I could get out of this one today, I would.

The other cars have been relatively problem free. The s40 lost on of the door guards, and the s80 battery had to be replaced at 15,000 miles.

It is really a shame that this car turned out the way it did. I am not going back to Volvo for my next car.
    st found this website and wish I had found it sooner.. Where do I begin to tell you about my problems... I have an S60 2002, what a LEMON... I have now 30K miles and the car has been to the dealership for service many, many times.

The cold start and stalling, trasmission continues to slip,
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "He had the 18" wheel package and the Brembos wouldn't allow anything smaller to go on in their place."

Maybe I'm missing something, however, I was under the impression that the S60R came with the same Brembo brakes regardless of whether the buyer checked the 18" wheel size option box or not. Given that the standard wheels on that car are 17x8 shod with 235/45 R17 tires (the same size wheels and tires as on my 530i, which I drove in and around NYC (easily as many pot holes as Michigan) before moving to New Hampshire in late 2002), I'm having a difficult time believing that every option had been explored before he took his 12K hit. Ouch!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    And that's just it. There are many options that could have cured the problem. But, hey, if someone wants to throw away that kind of money, so be it.

Where did he trade it in? His loss could be my gain. ;) j/k

The standard wheel is the 17.
    I think your friend just drives like a maniac.
    Had he ever had a car w/ low profile tires before?
    I ask because there are plenty of Porsches, beemers, Bezes, even Mustangs and Camaro's in Michigan and I'm sure they aren't all blowing out tires.
    Replying to various posts:
    1) He's far from a maniac; all of these occurred on Metro Detroit freeways.
    2) Volvo dealer specifically said 17" rims would not fit after you check the 18" option box. (Doesn't really matter; I had 17" Arakis rims on my S80 T-6 and blew out two sidewalls a year).
    3) The car is at Sesi Volvo in Ann Arbor, MI. Call them. Maybe they'll make you a deal. Its a dark blue metallic with a black interior. It was one of the first R's delivered.
    4) Around here there are plenty of people with low profiles who blow their sidewalls out -- all makes. Just not at the rate of 6 per year. To me, that indicates a possible suspension problem on how the R is calibrated.