Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• ryanmillaryanmilla Posts: 2
    Thanks for the hints guys. Its a good point, the overheating may have caused the other problems, I'm just not sure. After talking to the dealership about the backorderd cooling fan I found some interesting information. It seems that the problem that I had with my cooling fan stems from a design flaw in the cooling fan. This cooling fan is in all Volvo models except the S40 and V40. Now whether or not the fan WILL fail is on a case per case basis. The new fan that is on backorder is a redesigned fan, but since they are replacing a few of these things now the demand is pretty high. Therefore, if you notice your car's engine temp rising while you are sitting in traffic or if when you stop in traffic or at an intersection and your AC starts pumping out warm air, I would STRONGLY suggest bringing your car into the dealer and asking them to replace or at least look at your cooling fan.

Luckily, they are giving me a free loaner and they have done that each time I have had to bring the car in (which has been one too many times, unfortunately). I am presently talking with the dealer and Corporate to see if they will buy me out of my lease and move me into another Volvo. As of yet, no response.

Thanks again for the tips.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    thanks for the additional info. guess they feel its too big of a recall to replace all fans on all cars. I hope it doesn't come back and bite them in the end. A widespread failure like yours could have a serious affect on the already smallish volvo customer base.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• avolvofanavolvofan Posts: 358
    Or, the collateral repairs (transmission replacement) associated with a failure of the cooling fan.... In volume, the fan may cost Volvo/Ford $20 or so; the labor is a variable based on locale, but maybe $200 parts and labor at max. How much for a blown transmission? I don't know, but certainly more than $200.
    I'm sure the bean counters did their math and figured that a small percentage of catastrophic failures was cheaper than a mandatory recall across the board. They certainly know what they are doing when it comes to figuring acceptable losses. If more transmissions or engine failures turn up, they may change their tune.

• Hey everybody. I've been reading these posts on problems at dealerships and I can certainly sympathize. I've had trouble at a few myself, like when I went to look at Camrys LOL. MikeB, you said you understood that hehehe...
    Many carmakers like Honda, Toyota, GM, etc. have their dealerships in every city at a dime a dozen, so you'd think they would be clamoring all over each other to sell and retain your business. However, many are only in the business of attracting first time buyers, and not interested in keeping repeat customers. It's very interesting how a salesman can seduce you into buying that one car they really want to sell you and then when you need service, whether it be warranty or otherwise, the dealership could care less. The luxury car market seems to be different to me, at least for now. I like knowing that I have a 6 year warranty and can get a loaner when I need service. (And believe me, if Volvo doesn't live up to what their warranty says I'll be telling them about it!) It's kind of sad that we have to keep taking our business elsewhere just to get good old fashioned customer service. I won't pay (or settle) for anything less or mediocre.
  • mikebinokmikebinok Posts: 5
    Recently I bought a dealer demo 2003 S60 (the 2.4 turbo engine). It has Continental ContiTour tires on it. They have little or no wear on them. I notice that in my documents, I have a warranty for Michelin tires.

I'm wondering if my original equipment tires were replaced after the demo period, and how the Continentals compare with the original Michelins. Anyone know the factory stock tires that come on the S60? (I didn't have any of the special wheel or sport options, though my car did have the weather package).

Mike B. in OKlahoma
  • I recently bought a 2004 2.5T with the continentals as standard equipment. My manual had info on the Michelin, Continental and Pirelli. All three are used as standard equipment. As for a comparison, I am not to sure.
  • ddeliseddelise Posts: 339
    Hello - I am considering on purchasing Volvo parts (i.e. oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, etc.) and having an independent mechanic (not JiffyLube, Midas, etc.) do the work. I have two reasons - the local Volvo dealer is very far from where I live, and the overall cost should be considerably cheaper to use the independent mechanic.

My questions are: Do you see any issues with this? Should I be concerned about anything in particular?

The car is on lease, and I do not intend on purchasing it past the lease end. However, as far as the service goes, I do intend on upkeeping it (as plan above) to Volvo specifications/recommendations.

Thanks!

Damon
    One reason to consider dealer service - the dealer has a computer system that is used periodically (such as at the 7,500 mile service) to check the car for any faults that have occurred as well as to load any software updates that the factory has released for the specific model and options.
  • peter7777peter7777 Posts: 24
    Is it possible to get a 2004 S60 with a two tone instrument panel similar to the following one offered on the S80?

http://www.velocityphotos.com//images/stk/2004/vl2004s8002.jpg

I like the high contrast between the light panel and the dark grey center stack.
    I found the answer to my question in #1190. The S60 does have a similar color combination as seen on page 8 of this pdf brochure:

http://www.volvopalmbeach.com/pdf/2003_S60_Brochure.pdf
  • nickp48nickp48 Posts: 16
    I am trying to decide whether to buy a T5 or a 2.5T. I don't necessarily need the extra power, but I'm wondering if you can tell a big difference. Does anyone know if it's really worth the extra money for the T5?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    depends on how big a hotrodder you are.
    You can get the T5 geartronic and sport seats on the 2.5T.
    All your missing is the engine and sport suspension.
    The extra power of the T5 only manifests itself if you flog the engine. Driven normally, the 2.5T feels the same.
    Problem with the T5 is that most of them end up in the $38-40,000 neighborhood and for a little more you can have an R.
  • ptrekkerptrekker Posts: 51
    FYI, when I got my Honda there was a Michelin and a Goodyear warranty in there.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Posts: 196
    We rarely sell any T5's. The 2.4T has just as much on the low end(if not a little more), and most people just don't use the extra horses. 0-60 the T5 is faster. 0-30 the 2.4T is actually a bit quicker. The R is a much better value than the T5, if you can get one.
    But don't T5s sell for a considerable amount below sticker while the R is at sticker? So this makes the difference larger than the MSRP would dictate, no?

As far as the 2.5, volvomax is exactly right. Unless you are someone who likes to push your car hard (like me), then you don't need to step up to the T5. It is very european in its power delivery (e.g., it runs like a bat outta hell above 50 mph). Its not even a huge jump over the 2.5 in straight line acceleration to normal highway speeds in stock form, but, modifying both models will produce a bigger gap in performance. So, for around town, the 2.5 is more than adequate.

I just test drove an S60 2.4 and a Saab 9-3. I thought that the front visibility was a lot better in the S60 although the 9-3 has a definite "cool factor" that is hard to describe objectively. I was less than thrilled by the turbo on the 9-3. The momentary delay between pedal pressure and acceleration is something that takes a little getting used to. The only disappointment with regard to the Volvo was that I couldn't find any 2003 S60 in my area (Baltimore). Apparently the $5,000 rebate from Volvo to the dealer made them quite attractive.
  • poeti18poeti18 Posts: 10
    I am considering the S60 ( vs. Saab 9-3, MB C class). In a S60 long-term test, the authors complained about the relatively wide turning circle.
    Does anyone, who owns a S60 have any experience in that regard? Has that been an issue at all?
    If so, did Volvo make any changes for the 2004 model?
    All comments are welcome.
    Thanks.
    While the turning circle for the S60 is in fact greater than that of the S70 or 850, I personally do not object to it. The only real test is that which you do yourself. If there is a tight turn that you need to negotiate in your future car, try driving the S60 through it. Do the same for each of the other cars you are considering.
  • rqcrqc Posts: 95
    The S60 has a BIG turning circle (42 ft!) and if you live in a city where the design of the roads requires a lot of U-turns to get to where you want to go, it certainly is a hassle. Parking lot navigation could be a bit of a problem also. My car has a 40 ft turning circle and that is my least favorite aspect of it. Still, I'm about to order a S60R. It's that good.