Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• I like to purchase Volvo s60 automatic transmission...I've always leased Volvo and now I like purchase it...since i gotta think about my son's college tuition in near future... i got buy instead of lease... i heard that dealer's have incentives from factory...how do you find it out! please if anyone can help me please let me know!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    If you specifically want to know about incentives, you can ask in this discussion: Rebates, Incentives, APRs - Questions & Comments. Hope this helps.
  • I am seriously considering purchasing this vehicle. The price is right, low mileage, etc. It was a rental, I did a Carfax on it and it checks out great.

But here's my dilemma - It only has a single in-dash CD installed. Does anyone know of how or where I could get a 6 in-dash CD installed or should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks.
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Posts: 139
    its very expensive to put in a volvo cd changer ($1000) or swap out the radio. The base radio with some "hidden equalizer" tweeking sounds very nice. Not as good as the 6 in-dash cd, but better than most stock radios.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,432
    keep an eye out on ebay. folks love changing out the stereos on their new cars.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Won't work. You need alot of software to change factory radios.
    Software?? Really? Why? Where do you install the software? The ECU or something? And what does that change? What if someone buys an aftermarket stereo? Is software required then? And, again, what does the software do?

• dmarcus48dmarcus48 Posts: 139
    Really, the computers on Volvo's control everything, from the transmission to the lights. You want you're DSL's disabled? Software. You want to add foglights? Software You're transmission isn't shifting properly? Software. Lower the heat to the seats, change the dimming mirror, etc. Software, software. I don't know about aftermarket radios, I do know some people have them so it can be done.

On my 03 S80 2.9 I wanted to add foglights, the car is prewired for them, in order for them to work the computer needed to know they were there, software download. I wanted to add the auto lock feature when the car started rolling. software.
    There are something like 18 separate processors in an S60.
    Everything that car does requires a program.
    Especially if your replacing components.
    We can't swap radios from one car to another without a whole lot of software.

Aftermarket stereos can be done, but you basically have to gut the audio sytem to do it.
    if all cars keep going in this direction, I think my next ride will be a kit car.

• grantchstrgrantchstr Posts: 371
    volvomax, what is the reliability factor for these processors.......are there any in particular that are more troublesome than others?
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Posts: 858
    While we are waiting to hear from volvomax on specific statistics, I want to mention that the micro processors by far are the most reliable devices in modern technology, much more reliable than any complex mechanical or electro-mechanical device.
    The processors themselves have been quite reliable.
    Usually it has been the programming itself that has needed debugging.
    Volvo was at the forefront in 99 w/ this level of technology in the cars and there were some teething issues.
    Since 2001 the computers and their systems have been rock solid.
    Virtually all cars now are processor controlled to one degree or another.
    Also, the engine processors store performance data, this is especially useful in accident investigations.
    I guess that with all this electronic technology that the Volvo dealer is going to be better than an indy for any problems with a car out of manufacturers warranty?
    i do not think so - the processors ARE extremely reliable. The most problems on my 92K S80 are the old style mechanical (worn bushings, etc.) or electro-mechanical (faulty window motor) in nature. My friend, an owner of the independent Volvo shop with VADIS on his computer does just fine.
  • jsyarussjsyaruss Posts: 50
    Greetings all -- I have been looking at the S60 and S60R and have noticed that there appear to be some very good incentives on those vehicles right now for the 2005 models... Does anybody know (a) what the incentives are in specific (e.g., what base MF I might be looking for in a lease, or what the dealer incentives are) and (b) why the incentives seem to be so good? Is there a redesign coming or some other reason why the dealer seems to want the 05s gone before the 06s come along? Any input and advice would be welcome... Thanks much! Scott
    You already have your incentive info on the appropriate thread.

In terms of changes you will finf prior posts where the concensus is that 2008 is the earliest that a change could be made.
    If the independent is willing to pay for a Vadis system(or its new replacement) then they will be able to fix the electronics.
    The Volvo dealer will still be a better bet due to better training and the latest equipment.
    yes, thank you, grantchstr... i didn't see that other forum before I posted...sorry for the duplicate... what I'm still wondering about is the WHY for these incentives... the numbers seem better than I would expect for a normal model year change. Do you or others have any thoughts on this?

Also, I'm very curious to know what Volvo Finance has for residuals and MF rates for the 2005 S60 and S60R for 12K / 36 mos or 39 mos... Do I get that info from the leasing forum or here in the volvo forum? Any advice appreciated. I'm very interested in the S60R and may just jump since the price I'm looking at seems quite reasonable...

Thanks again and sorry for the messed up post.
    S
    I like the service from the Calabasas Volvo, however, the labor rate is soo expensive. The 90K maintenance was quoted (with the discount coupon) at $510 (no repairs), while I've got it from that friend of mine for $260 with the front wheel alignment.
    So, for as long as I have an extended warranty, I will use the dealer - after that I will take a chance with the independent shop.
    Greetings all - just wanted to share that I bought the S60R -- climate and premium package, magic blue with sand interior...

it won, hands down for me, over the Audi A4, new BMW 3, and MB C240... I'm absolutely thrilled and can't wait 'til my Saturday morning delivery...

Thanks to grantchstr and all the others on this and other forums for support and help!
    S
    Congrats!!
    Enjoy the car.
  • cruiser27cruiser27 Posts: 9
    I'm purchasing a new vehicle in July, and I'm leaning towards the S60-T5, but the Infiniti G35x AWD is still in the running. Since I drive 33,000 miles per year (and will keep the vehicle for 4 years), gas mileage is another aspect I'm looking into.
    I've heard the G's get lower gas mileage than the 17-24mpg it's rated at.

What kind of real world gas mileage are people getting with the T5?
    Are you using 93 octane, or 1/2 89 and 1/2 93 to average out at 91?
  • cruiser27cruiser27 Posts: 9
    What type of Interest rates is Volvo offering on 48 and 60mo. purchases?
    Infiniti is at 2.9% for 60mo purchase. They also have good lease rates, and only charge 10 cents per mile when miles are purchased up front...
  • tucsonbobtucsonbob Posts: 14
    Hello group:
    I recently purchased a brand new manual 05 Black S60R. The car listed for over 45k and I got it for 37K. I come from Audi and test drove the S4, A4, 06 BMW three, G35 Coupe and Subaru Legacy. By far the S60R is the most bang for the buck of any of these cars. I know some of the car publications have been negative regarding this automobile, however, I find the fit and finish superb and equal to anything German. The car is extremely stealthy and few even know what it is. It is fun to drive. At the hand car wash today, the cleaner said " You know I have been cleaning cars for over 10 years and this is the only Volvo I have ever liked." With the body kit, I agree.
    Without this group, I never would have found this car. Thanks.
    Hey TucsonBob -- Same story for me. I had been convinced that I was going to want the Audi, but when I drove the 2.0, I just wasn't as exciting. Plus, I didn't find the interior to be quite what I had anticipated. I loved the interior of the MB C240, but it was way at the top of my price range (well, okay, a little above it)... The BMW 325 was great, but once I put the "x" on it, it would be too much (plus, that would have meant waiting for fall...ugh)...

Fell in love with the S60R -- esp. the interior, which I find extremely comfortable -- and was able to get a deal very similar to yours and haven't looked back (well, except in the rear view mirror to see everybody fading into the distance...) Only thing that's kinda odd is the HUGE turning radius... It'll take me a little while to adjust, but once I know the new dimensions, no big deal... And yes, reading the info on this list was very helpful (thanks too to volvomax -- i forgot to mention him in my last post)...

I have never had a car before that I wanted to "baby" -- my wife hasn't stopped laughing at me for parking way out in the parking lot and looking out the window just to check on it... Geek heaven!

;-)
    Scott
  • tucsonbobtucsonbob Posts: 14
    Say Jsyaruss:
    I believe the S60R was designed to compete with the S4 and M3. Of course,Top Gear slams the Volvo and says the Germans are better. Having driven all of them, I would say the Volvo is definitely different. The M3 is a flat out race car and not comfortable. The S4 is a better daily driver and the feeling of the large eight and all wheel drive makes the S4 a special car. As you know, with the three buttons on the S60R, we can change the car into different modes depending on our driving style AT THAT MOMENT. Pretty cool, eh? Anyway, maybe this car is not as good as the S4 or the M3 but when you get down to under 40k pricing levels, it blows away any A4 and BMW three series. The Volvo's Haldex transmission is the same as my TT and Getrag transmission (I think) is the same as Audi and most BMWs. Do you know Volvomax?
    Anyway, yes the turning radius is HUGE. When I first drove a S60R, I thought I was in a large car. I was shocked to learn the car is only two inches longer and two inches wider than the S4. Of course, when you are driving it you cannot even tell. It is only in parking malls/shopping centers, etc. you have to change your driving habits. I do not understand why the turning radius is so large but it must be the geometry of the car and the way Volvo configured it. Despite the one negative, the car is a hoot to drive, I love the blue dials and interior and did I mention the seats....to die for.
    Have fun.
    Hi TucsonBob - you know, you're right -- when I was looking at Audis etc., I never even considered the S4/M3 because they were out of my pricerange... Heck, even the A4 2.0 ended up at a higher monthly lease than my R -- it wasn't 'til I was at the Volvo dealer and I saw the R before I considered that class of car -- and of course it does indeed blow away the A4/325 that I had been looking at... Way cool ;-)

No, I don't know Volvomax...I just enjoyed reading his posts to this list. I've learned a lot from the whole Inside Line ...

Only problem I've had so far since I got my new car is that I haven't had enough opportunities to drive... ;-)

S
    Thanks for the links! Fun stuff...

And, have a great drive!
    The AWD system is sourced from Haldex. They also provide the TT's AWD unit.
    The S4 uses Audi's Quattro sytem.
    The R tranny is made by Aisin Warner, not Getrag.

Turing radius is due to small wheel wells and wide tires. Volvo should have flared the fenders to accomodate the tires, but that would have raised costs on the car.