Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• lweisslweiss Posts: 342
    I have a 1998 Volvo S-70 (non Turbo), it has been a great car, but when it does need maintenance, it is expensive even though I have used a very good and reputable independent shop since the warranty expired (cars has almost 97K). And I use almost exclusively premium fuel- for my driving (now about 15K-18K per year), the extra 20 cents a gallon is a small cost to get the better performance and peace of mind that the recommended fuel gives me (about $200/year- big deal!).

But I am thinking of getting a new car now, and I am a little concerned about the future of Volvo. They have been laying off workers in Sweden and other places, and since Ford owns Volvo and are having their own bigtime problems these days, I fear that in a few years, Volvo may go away or just be a badge changed Ford- think my fears are justified? Same thing going on with Saab which is owned by GM. I am thinking that maybe an Acura TL or Honda Accord EX might be a better choice. What do you think? I like to keep my cars about 7 years. The Volvo S-60 looks like a good car, the engine is not that changed from my S-70 2.4L, and I have no need for the turbo (I get enough speeding tickets without a turbo!)
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Have no fear about Volvo's future.

ALL of the new product that is coming is 100% Volvo designed and built.

In any company
    you can find 1500 people that aren't essential to an operation. AFAIK none of the actual bolt turners are being cut.

BTW, the non turbo S60 has been discontinued.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,673
    besides what volvomax said, why would their future even concern you when it comes to buying a car now? Heck, in my mind, that just means you SHOULD buy now because it may not be there for you to buy in the future.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

No, I would not like to buy a brand that is going away. I would think that (and I have no proof, just a perception), that the resale value of something going away would drop and it would be hard to sell after the 5-7 years that I normally keep a car. Also, wouldn't it be harder to get parts for brands that are no longer being made?

I have a friend that was in a collision with his Olds Intrigue- the car was in the shop almost 6 weeks awaiting parts. Maybe that's why I want to buy a car that is very popular.

But my Volvo S-70 has been a great car- love the engineering, the seat comfort, the handling- would hate to see Volvo fade, but it sounds like it really will not.
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Posts: 139
    I don't believe that Volvo would be going away. It been increasing sales every year and its one of the few Ford companies that's actually making money.
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,026
    Am confused. :confuse: How did your fill up with premium cost an extra $20? Maybe it was a typo and you meant $2.00. Here in Houston, and I believe most elsewhere, there's a 10 cent spread between grades. Therefore, going from midgrade to premium, assuming a 20 gallon fillup, would cost $2.00 more. From regular to premium would be about $4.00. These figures are on the high side since one usually fills up before the tank is really empty.
  • No confusion, you're right. Typo. Overall maybe 2-4 bucks more. Sorry about that. Thank goodness for the grammar police.
  • kahs60kahs60 Posts: 6
    I'd like to know how you like your Volvo!? I just purchsed one through the military program and it is being delivered in Dec. I'd like to know how you like your stereo also. I did buy the HU-850 just because I listen to music all the time however, I did like the 650 too.
  • BTW, the non turbo S60 has been discontinued.

Does that mean my used S60 (2001) will be worth more or less when I come to sell it? :confuse:

PS. The reason why I bought the non turbo was that when it came to re-sale there would be one less thing for anyone to worry about!
    well, as much as I love my volvo, resale is horrible, so i don't think not selling them here anymore will change that very much.

As far as parts ... are you talking about them folding completely or just not selling here in the states anymore? If just the states, then parts will obviously still be available.

Heck, Alfa hasn't been here in the states for over a decade, but I'm still able to get parts from resalers. Same thing back when I had my AMC-made Jeep. AMC was bought out by Chrysler and the CJ7 was long dead and buried, but resalers and aftermarket manufacturers kept me swimming in all the parts I needed.

I can understand your concern on something obscure, like, say, a Merkur, but something with as big of a following as Volvo I just don't see having a problem (and, of course, that is IF they were to fold, which, again, I don't see happening).

Well, Urban legends aside, the turbo isn't a maintenance issue.

The S60 turbos simply sell better than the non turbos do.
    I guess that Volvo wants to position the S-60 as a reasonable cut above the S-40, is that why it's Turbo only now? Not that I have anything against a turbo equipped car, it's just that 99% of my driving is either in city traffic where it's not needed or highway cruising, where's it's also not needed. And my non-turbo 1998 S-70 is rated at 0-60 in just about 9.0 seconds- not bad. I bought a Volvo for it's safety, features, and quality of build- not for incredible acceleration. Maybe I was in the minority or not their targeted market. Plus I also have the attitude that a turbo adds a measure of complexity to an engine that I don't need. Maybe I should consider the S-40 as my next Volvo? But somehow I don't like the styling as much as the S-60 and it seems a little small.
  • I have'nt purchased as yet....I am stuck between an Acura TL and the S60. I thought the S60 would win based on safety features however the TL has all the same features.

So I face a difficult decision in the next 24hrs as I want to purchase in the next few days.
    Between the TL and 2.5T? As much as I like volvo, I gotta go with the TL in that comparison. Resale alone makes the decision easy for me. HOWEVER, if it were between the TL and S60R.... that's a whole different story. Resale be damned, 300 hp AWD and adjustable suspension wins the day for me. :)

What is complex about a spinning impeller?
    There is a world of difference in city driving between a non turbo S60 and a turbo one.
    Alot more passing power w/ the turbo. The 2.4T was designed w/ low speed power in mind. Full boost occurs @ 1800 rpm.
  • A friend of mine just bought a 2001 S60. This vehicle has a few minor problems,strut pads, motor mount, etc. I'd like to save her some money by doing the repairs myself. What I'm looking for is a volvo tech discussion forum for tips and any tricks for a shadetree mechanic. Any sites or businesses with good deals on parts would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your responses and time. :)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We have a lot of knowledgeable folks hanging out in lots of helpful discussions on our Maintenance & Repair board - you should check it out!
  • I looked at the Acura and frankly it doesnt compare with an S60. Do you really think Ross Perot or Bill Gates would drive an Acura? :) :)
  • Some one on this thread wrote" I bought a Volvo for it's safety, features, and quality of build- not for incredible acceleration. Maybe I was in the minority or not their targeted market. Plus I also have the attitude that a turbo adds a measure of complexity to an engine that I don't need. "

Thats why I think there will always be buyers for my S60 (non-T), especially with the extended warranty I have! And there appears to be little difference in resale prices when you get to a 6 or 7 year old Volvo.
  • Thank you very much. This is just what Iwas looking for.
  • Hi,

Volvo claims that the AWD S60 gives 20/28 MPG for city/hwy....can anyone vouch for that? what has been your experience? Does the AWD have any problems?
    I drive an S60R AWD. No problems at all.

I average @23mpg combined.
  • xmf314xmf314 Posts: 154
    I looked at the Acura and frankly it doesnt compare with an S60. Do you really think Ross Perot or Bill Gates would drive an Acura?

When Ross Perot was campaigning for President, he drove an old Oldsmobile 98. Ross wasn't interested in cars.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    If I am correct this model year will be the last for the current S60 generation right?

When would you expect the new generation here in America?
    The current S60 will continue for the 2007 model year.
    The S60R will be dropped after the 2006 model year.
    The new S60 won't be here until the 2008 model year.
  • dfc3dfc3 Posts: 87
    I'd take a Volvo over an Acura any day - but if we're going for prestige - neither holds a candle to MB or BMW.
  • The point about Bill Gates and his Volvo is that it isnt about prestige, its about practicality and safety.
  • I am having the same issue with stalling and hesitation when I slow down. The dealer did the same BS attempt to download new software and then attempted to get me to commit to cleaning my fuel injectors. My father was a mechanic for most of my life so I know something about cars. I asked if they had checked the fuel line, fuel filter and other parts of the fuel system and they stated that I needed to bring the vehicle back in for those items. I have no faith that they know how to proceed or that they are trying to hose me for more money. Its my wife's car and she has lost faith in Volvo. This is the third that we have owned. Did you get your issue resolved with the hesitation? If so, what caused it? Thank you.
  • Hi everyone! First post here, so I hope you can help me out. I am in need of a vehicle, mine is about ready to kick it (94 Dodge Spirit with 185k miles on it).

I will be driving around 35000 miles per year and am looking for something that gets good gas mileage and will not require maintenance work over and above the regularly recommended stuff and will last long enough to get my money's worth out of it or else hold it's value well enough that I can sell it after a good deal of miles and still have something to show. I absolutely love the S60, drove the 2.4 (non-T) version for a week as a rental and got 27 mpg mixed. I would say the back seat room is lacking for adults, but that is not a huge concern for me as I don't have kids yet.

I am looking for advice from others who drive as many miles as I will and what they have done for vehicles in the past. I am thinking of buying used, something at around the 40-50000 mile mark, maybe off lease or rentals. New price is just too much $$$ and I feel I would lose too much in depreciation from new. I like the
    Volvo for it's looks and how it holds it's value in higher mileage. The Accord for its high mileage potential and fuel economy but not for it's looks. Jetta TDI is a thought but there are alot of conflicting posts on high maintenance costs and reliability issues with the diesel so I think I will stay away for now. BMW would be sweet, but too pricey for me starting out. From what I can see the Accord will go 200k+ miles, but I like the look of the S60 so much better, and I have been told that the Volvo will stay the course along with the Accord. That line from tip to tail is just heavenly!

Cruiser27: How is your T5 working out for you after a few more months ? I am also in SE Michigan.

Any advice you or others can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also if there are other areas in other forums where I can find info please help me find them.

Thanks! :)
  • How long can I reasonable expect to keep driving an S60 ? Providing I keep up the regular mainenance the sales girl said it would make 500,000 km (300,000 miles) easy! I find this really hard to beleive and am looking for some real world experience from actual owners.