Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• I bought a 7/100 extended warranty (from Warranty Direct) not because I was so worried that there would be a problem in year 5 or 6 but I anticipate selling the car in the seventh year - I reckon a buyer would pay up for a car that had some remaining coverage. The worry for any buyer of a used car is that the seller is offloading a car which has something wrong with it. The fact that there is even a few months warrranty coverage remaining alieviates that concern (hopefully).
    BTW in your case it would seem that the 7 year with the $100 deductible would be the way to go ($500 discount for the seventh year coverage).
  • Hey folks--a week ago I purchased an '02 S60 2.4T AWD--with premium, weather (I was a total geek and would only buy with heated seats). I'm in the SF Bay Area, and this car was hard to find. Added bonus was that it was a one person owner right here in Cali and in cherry condition (and no worries about salt eroding hoses, and from the looks of it, no major issues other than routine stuff). I've been wanting a s60 since early 2001, so it's a real treat to finally get one. I love the car so far--of course, it is a VCPO with the warranty expiring in September 2008, and I bought an additional year's warranty after that, so I feel better about my purchase. :)

But, the real reason I'm writing is because, believe it or not, I've seriously read all 254 pages of this forum this past week (finished about 100 pages today, lounging around my house after slaving away in the kitchen all day yesterday)! I'm a glutton for punishment or severely lonely or something, but I have learned so much--the good, the bad, and the ugly--about my car from these forums, and I wanted to give a special thank you to the following folks who were just warriors in responding to posts: grantchster, volvomax, qbrozen, volvodan, guyf, dmarcus48, lexusguy, lev_berkovich, cmnott, avolvofan...you guys rock!

Now off to find the hidden equalizer on my crappy radio. ;)
  • guyfguyf Posts: 456
    Congrat's on your purchase. It's a good car, you won't regret it.

Guy ;)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,702
    aw shucks. Thanks.
    ;)

enjoy your car!

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

absolutely go to the dealer. I'm sure they will take care of you. If not, then you can always call volvo direct.

• Going to look at a new S60 front wheel drive. Is there any negotiating on these extended waranty's. Any pro and cons?
    don
  • I am days away from leasing a new S60 2.5T AWD. The car has metallic paint, premium package, and climate control. I have been quoted at 1777 down and 406 a month for 12000 miles over 36 months down in New Jersey. I recently went to a dealer in CT who quoted me 2270 down and 475 a month. The dealer in Jersey was supposed to be giving me the best price. He said that the costco price and incentives come out to less then the x plan price. Does this sound like a good deal in New Jersey or what?

Thanks
  • i'd check a dealer in red bank. i got my 03 s80 for 1100 down and 393 per month for 39 month 12m per year. this was 3 years ago. that sounds a little high. of course it depends on incentives available. check them out.
    dmarcus is right, it depends on incentives at the time.

Is this for an '06 or '05? '06s don't seem to have incentives right now. Seeing as how Volvo has typically put heavy incentives on the S60 the last couple of years, I don't think I would buy right now since the car could very well be significantly cheaper down the road a bit.

I don't have too much experience with Red Bank Volvo, but have had very good experiences with Volvo of Princeton and BAD experiences with Garden State Volvo (although they did offer me a great deal on a demo car once ... it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time).

• a further note on dealers, i don't service my car at red bank its just too far from home, i just bought the car there. i service the car at edison volvo, which is the same owner as bridgewater and princeton volvo. edison service dept. is great, they weren't open when i got my car. we'll see what happens in july when my lease is up.
  • We almost bought a new Honda Civi ex (2006 model) but I was uncomfortable with the idea of paying MSRP($21K+ out the door) for a civic, even the really nice new one. I then realized I could get the car of our dreams for LESS! I did some research and we just picked up a 2003 S60 with leather, moonroof, climate package, in really excellent shape (at least I hope so!!) with 31K miles for $15,850 :D . I think that was a great price, yes? Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts or experience with triple A's extended warranty plans? :confuse:
    good to know.

how far from Freehold are you? Personally, I stopped going to the dealer altogether when my warranty was up. I found a private shop that specializes in volvos by the name of Pro Vovo (yes, without the L) in Freehold that does great work for MUCH less than the dealer.

It was easy when I used to live in Freehold. Now I live a half hour away, but still take my car there. They are very popular, so, if you want a Saturday appt, call no later than the Monday prior.

• You might want to try Warranty Direct as its the same company that provides the service for the Volvo Warranty! And you can buy Warranty Direct for a used car.
  • I regrettably now cannot garage my car so its outside at night in winter. Is there a way of preventing ice formation on windshields? I would guess that maybe a simple tarp would work but are there any sprays that would alleviate the problem?
    interesting concept. I've never heard of such a thing, maybe you should get to work on it and make a fortune. :)

I'd certainly buy it.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,043
    Rain X always seemed to make frost easier to remove - I could remove it with a squeegee instead of a scraper.

I doubt there is anything that will prevent ice formation.

I've seen people use tarps and cardboard but the results always seem to be that the tarp or cardboard would freeze on the window.
  • I found this:

Rain-X asserts that this product will de-ice your windshield at temperatures down to -25F. It will remove 'frost, light snow & ice'. It will repel rain, sleet, snow and ice. Of course it will also perform the rudimentary function of cleaning your windshield.
    Directions

Open hood, locate windshield washer reservoir and fill with Rain-X De-Icer Windshield Washer Fluid. Close hood. Clean windshield as needed.
    Unfortunately, i won't remove anything when ice and snow are covering your washer jets.

If it actually prevents ice from forming on the windshield, then great.

I only have one past experience with rain-x and it wasn't really a good one. It was many many years ago when it was still fairly new, but i found it left a residue that, under certain conditions, would actually affect visibility. I never heard that complaint from anybody else, so maybe its just me.

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Not just you - I've seen several similar complaints around these parts through the years. :)

In fairness, I've also see a posts from folks who are happy with it, but you are definitely not the only one to experience what you report.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,043
    Rain-X asserts that this product will de-ice your windshield at temperatures down to -25F. It will remove 'frost, light snow & ice'. It will repel rain, sleet, snow and ice. Of course it will also perform the rudimentary function of cleaning your windshield.

I used that crud last winter - the orange color stained the paint on the hood. I had to clay it out.
  • This is as basic a question as it gets - but I have misplaced my owners manual - but the dipstick has no markings! There is a little twist area and my oil level is halfway between the end of the dipstick and this little twist/wriggle spot. Is this an OK reading?
  • New to the forum, joined today. Wondering if anyone fellow S60 owners have experienced problems with the 17 inch Tethys wheels, which I chose for my '02 S60 T5. I have had to replace two of them already (one was definitely my fault, the other was discovered when replacing the tires...), very disappointed with their quality considering my S60 only has 36000 miles and is barely 3 years. My wife has complained to Volvo regarding the quality of the wheels. Other than that I love our T5, we also own an '05 Chrysler Crossfire Limited, but the T5 is more fun to drive...
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The only way a wheel gets bent is if you hit something with it.
    You can't expect to hit a pothole or curb and not do damage to an aluminium wheel.
    Since you admit one was your fault, the other must have been as well.
    Compalining to a motor co because you damaged the wheels isn't fair.
  • I am looking at getting and '02 S60AWD with 28k for $22,000. I have never owned a Volvo before. The price includes an extended warrenty to 100,000 miles. I am really having a hard time with the price. The only other luxury car I have owned was an Audi A4 1.8T. The repairs were outragious. I am not looking forward to the same with the Volvo.

I am hearing a lot of problems with the accelleration after being in traffic. Is this really common for the 2002's or are those isolated insodents?

Also what is the deal with the stereo? I am a huge music fan and if the 12 speaker system is not great is there problems doing aftermarket upgrades to it?

I am on a time crunch I have to deside in the next 24 hrs if I am getting the care.
  • I bought an '02 s60 awd a month ago, and I've had no acceleration problems after being in traffic (and I've driven in in freeway traffic as well as stop and go). Maybe I don't know what these problems are supposed to be though? What is supposed to be happening?

The warranty: find out how long (timeframe) you have on the warranty. Mine was a CPO, so the warranty runs until Sept. 2008 (or 100,000, but I won't expire on miles) and then I got a another year's warranty. The repairs on this car are expensive, just like the Audi, so be aware--I'd be loathe to run this car w/o some type of warranty.

Radio: I'm not in love the radio. I do have better sound now that I adjusted with the "hidden equalizer" but I would have preferred the 8xx series HU than the 6xx one that is stock with the car. It's not bad enough for me to do any aftermarket upgrades though (except to add the IPod adapter to it).

I love the car though--it has a lot of power, seats are great and I think the handling is very sure footed.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The car is a 197 hp turbo 5, acceleration should not be a problem.
    The price is not outrageous for a low mile CPO car.
    Doing stereo upgrades is not easy at all. The Prem sound system is a pretty good one.
  • Thank you guys. I am getting the extended warranty though. I am also glad to here that there is no problem with the acceleration. I am off to the dealership. :D
  • Some one said they had been driving in stop and go traffic. When they got to the side streets to get home the to car would not move. This was probably their fault. I did read later that they were very low on gas and the saddle tank fuel pump was not working.

Thank you for the great advice ;)
  • I guess no one on here even checks their oil.............
    only in America.......