Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• My indy says that he purchased a software package on the aftermarket and doesnt need to subscribe on a monthly basis....
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    really?
    AFAIK there are no "aftermarket" software solutions for Volvo proprietary software.
    We have a few independents that bring us the cars for downloads.
  • Hi all, we just yesterday bought an 02 5T with 24k miles and are on a loving-it learning curve. Is anyone familiar with the radio interface? :confuse: Our 803 radio does not have the 10 CD changer, and I see lots of other modes on the display; has anyone been able to use the changer audio input for the changer for XM or Sirius? Looks like there might be a slight programming hack involved, but that would make a direct connection from a Sat receiver sound great. :shades: Any other thoughts on the radio would be appreciated as well. Thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,432
    you might want to check with crutchfield.com. They have alot of adapters to change a stock CD-changer input into an Ipod or satellite radio input. You'll most likely need to call them and speak with someone to find the right adapter for your car.

By the way ... I'd say you've either mixed up your numbers/letters or someone broke the badge on your trunk. ;)
    Its either 2.5T or T5.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

Volvo does offer Sirius radio for the S60.
    Any direct connection to the radio would require software.
    I don't know if Crutchfield or anyone has an aftermarket solution to the software issue.
    what exactly does the software do?

would you need to update the software if you added a volvo CD changer?

i'm just curious, because the adapter would only play through the stereo like the stock cd changer. so you are essentially fooling (for lack of a better word) the stereo into thinking you've plugged in the cd changer, that's all.

Granted, however, if the sirius upgrade from the volvo dealer allows you to change stations on the satellite using the stock stereo controls, then that might be a bit more convenient than using the satellite unit's controls.

think of a Volvo as a big pc.
    Anytime you add hardware to a pc you need the software to run it.
    In the case of the radio, adding a changer alone won't work. The car's systems need to know the changer is there and this requires software.
    that really makes me second guess ever buying another volvo, i'm sad to say.

We are not alone in this.
    Any new luxury car has a similar system.
    Pretty soon, even run of the mill cars will operate this way.
    we'll see.

I know my '03 Lincoln doesn't have this problem, and neither does my wife's '05 Pacifica (of course, its arguable whether that is in the same luxo-category as volvo).

If it does get to the point where the answer to every new car problem (worse than that is for every mod you want to make) is "take it to the dealer," I'll find myself buying nothing but used cars.

• If you read the questions I have posted about servicing you will see that new autos like the S60 (and most makes these days) are very sophisticated and operated by a whole series of computers and modules ( = mini computers). If something goes wrong you need the correct software to diagnose the problem or you are cooked - unless you can find an independent shop that actually has the software.... and my guess is that most wont tell you they dont have it........
  • rambo5rambo5 Posts: 37
    I would appreaciate any audiophile input regarding the sound quality of the base radio. $1200 for an upgraded "dynaudio" radio that does not include Sirius in my book is a little too steep. This may be a moot point given that you can't find the car equiped with this option on the dealer lot and I am unwilling to special order. Frankly, a 30K car should come standard with decent sound.

Also,any comments regarding dealer installed Satellite radio? Has anyone taken the plunge? I would be interested to hear whether the factory radio with Sirius displays the channel, artist, and song.
  • I consider myself as an audiophile, I play violin and can actually hear the difference in the sound quality between the different sound systems.
    The stock Volvo audio systems, IMHO, are among the best in industry. The only brand I know that have better stock audio is Lexus with their Mark Levinson. line.

I own S80 and XC90 with the stock audio and find S80's one very good and XC90's decent.
    I drive S60 occasionally, as a loaner (at scheduled maintenance) and believe that S60's one is on a par with XC90, i.e. quite decent.
    Compared to other base systems, our can hold its own.
    In fact it is better than most.
    The Premium sound system is very good, plus it coems w/ a cd changer.
    Again, compare the price of our system to the upgrade systems on Bimmers, Benzes and Lexus.

The Volvo Sirius radio will display artist, song, etc.
    I think that all depends on the issue. If something goes wrong with the computers themselves, yes. But, with the standard OBD2 interface still in use, issues involving the emissions and sensors should be diagnosable by most shops.

i'm sure that will change, but, as of now, most cars, AFAIK, still have OBD2 ports.

Where it does get hairy, even with my '98 volvo, is the special systems like ABS and climate control. While these things CAN be read through the OBD2, you do need the correct software to read the codes. As far as my code reader is concerned, nothing exists on my volvo beyond the engine. ABS and climate control errors don't appear at all in my reader's interface.

• rparkrpark Posts: 14
    Obviously, sound quality is in the ear of the beholder; everyone has slightly different tastes, so there is no right or wrong here; you need to listen to the base and optional systems and make up your own mind as to which is best. Me? I have an '04 S60AWD and it has the standard radio, not the upgrade. I find it to be merely average. I once had a '98 Maxima GLE w/ the Bose system, and I thought it was great. Our other car is a Lexus RX300 with the standard radio in it, and I find it far better than the Volvo, almost as good as the Bose in the Maxima. My 2000 BMW 528 had the standard radio; the sound quality was so bad BMW should be ashamed of themselves; and you really couldn't upgrade without spending a fortune, so I usually just kept it off. Just goes to show there is a wide variation offered by the manufacturers, so always try the radio when you test drive.
  • Any problem with your 2004 S60 2.5t...my stalled on me, completely shut down. Also getting message "bulb failure, position" and traction triangle warning lights comes on. Is this a constant problem with this volvo model? should trade-in for VW...I love my S60, hope it does not come to this. H...E...L...P...ME
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    If I'm correct Volvo will introduce all the 2007 models in the middle of this calendar year and start their production early, just like they've done the last two model years right?
    Well,

the holdover models will arrive in August.
    The 07 C70 may not arrive until Sept.
    The new S80 won't be out until Nov-Dec.
  • I just had my 20002 S60 through a 60,000 service which I thought was a major one (it cost me >$500) - and now I read that the BIG one is in fact 70,000...If the service interval is every 7,500 how does this compute with 70,000 miles exactly (ie shouldn't that be 75,000?). And is this when the Timing Belt and Water Pump need changing (and whats the cost of that?).
    The BIG service is the 60k
    Timing belt is done @ 100,000 mi.
  • Isn't it 105K for the timing belt? (14 x 7.5)
  • I reckon it must be 105K...........but the indy who just serviced my car said it needed to be done at 70K......which didnt seem right not least as 70K doesnt compute with 7500 service intervals. I am glad I asked the question as thats an expensive item to do uneccessarily. I dont intend to still have the car at 105K as I aim to sell it a few K before the 100K extended warranty expires.
  • I took my chances and keep S80. 115K and going REALLY strong.
    70 k is early.
    Sometimes they are done a service early if they look worn or frayed.
  • Hi, few months ago, i bought a 04 s60,it came with the body kit installed and it had 15" wheels, i was having problems with the front extended bumper touching in lot of places, like driving to my driveway, so i decided to buy 18" wheels, it did lift the car by 1 inche and tires on them are 245-40-18,though my problems are gone, but have new ones, the ride has gotten very bumpy, if the tires are changed to 225-50-18 will it help to smooth the ride - please help with advice ? Instead of going back of smaller wheels, there must be a solution - I hope ?
    ANY 18" wheel-tire combo is going to provide a bumpier ride than a 15" setup.
    You have alot less sidewall on the 18"s.
    You may experience a slight difference going to the 225's.
  • With the new 80 series coming out later this year, when is the 60 series going to be updated? Sorry if this is a repeat question. Thanks.
    Approx 2 more years for the next S60.
  • The S60 is evocative of the S80......so will the new S80 give us a clue about the shape of the new S60 coming down the pike?

And out of interest would it be better to sell a used S60 before the new model is introduced or does it make no difference to valuation? My thought would be that one could get a better price on a car which hasnt been superceded by a newer version....just a thought. (Of course in the situation like the BMW 7 Series the newer version was hated and the older shape sold at a premium!).