Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    That is a photshopped car.

S60 has always been pitted against the C-class 3 Series etc.

S40 is a class below.
    Well, in about a year you will be able to get an S80 3.0 T6
    AWD.
    That is an S80 w/ the new 285hp 3.0l I6 Turbo.

The current 5cyl will go away when the current S60 does.
    The new S60 will be powered by the 3.2L I6 and the 3.0L T6 and maybe a more powerful turbo 6 as well.
    IIRC City mpg for that car is 18-19 mpg.
    So, if you are doing mostly city driving, that is exactly what you should get.
    You may do a little better on the 91 octane fuel, but it mostly boils down to how and where you drive.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    Doesn't the I5 and T5 engines also see use in the Volvo S40/v50? I doubt Volvo will cancel those engines. If anything, I was hoping for the s60 to get fords 3.5lv6 with 265hp.

-Cj :)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,663
    I was hoping for the s60 to get fords 3.5lv6 with 265hp

NO THANKS!

If you want a FWD 3.5 duratec, why not just go buy any of the Milan/Fusion/MKZ triplets?

I, for one, hope Volvo stays Volvo. I'll take the 300hp 2.5 turbo any day of the week!

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

You are 1 quarter right.

The 3.5l V6 is a Cyclone.

ITs only in the Edge, MKZ, MKX, CX-9

Any I wouldn't buy 1 because they're not Volvo or as safe as volvo.

;)

But on a serious note, I think the S60 should get the 3.5 instead of the 3.2. Why Volvo doesn't use the 3.5l v6 in the XC-90 is beyond me anyways.

If given a turbo, I hope its the 2.4 and 2.5. If volvo gives all the fun Turbos to the S60, what reason will anyone have to buy the s60 if the s40 is nearly the same but at a cheaper price? The s60 is bigger outside but the s40 is bigger inside.

-Cj
    Cyclone is the codename. It is a duratec.

But you are right, it doesn't appear to be as widely used in Ford products as I thought, although I'm not sure why. My guess is that will change very soon.

You may also ask why Land Rover chose the 3.2 I6 from volvo. There is something to be said for an inline configuration. Just ask BMW.

• confused7confused7 Posts: 25
    How do you figure that the S60 is bigger outside, but smaller inside, than the S40? Please explain!
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,032
    http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimCompare.jsp?acodes=USB70VOC171A0,USB70VOC121A- 0

Compare the specs - especially interior passenger volume. The S60 has only 2 more cubic feet of interior volume than the S40 and it's exterior dimensions aren't much bigger. Both are classified as compacts.
    The I5 used in the S40 has a different block and dimensions.

Volvo won't use V6 engines in their cars. the I6 is smoother and more space efficent.
    The new 3.0L T6 engine develops 285hp.
    I noticed. I haven't seen much about the new T6 engine. I do know that the 3.2l I6 volvo has in the XC90 and S80 makes 235hp.

I think volvos case is similar to acura's 3 simarly sized sedans that in some way compete with each other. I think volvo can go back in time and make the s60 RWD (not that theres anything wrong with FWD/AWD) for more sportiness and to have something unique about it. A reason to have the s60. The s60 should only have the 236 hp I6 or the 2.4l I5 and the 300+hp R.

Can you tell me more about the T6 engine? Is it the old Twin Turbo once used in the XC90?

-Cj
    New engine. Uses the new SI6 block.
    Single turbo.
    Volvo is committed to FWD/AWD so don't expect a RWD sedan from them.
    The S40 and S60 really are different cars.
    Most people really only like one or the other.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    When is production of the current-generation S60/V70 slated to end? Is there still time for me to order a car if I wished?
    The 2008 MY will be the last for the current S60.

However, we are close to the end of this model year for ordering an 07.
    Also consider going CPO. The S60 has been on sale since 2001 and you could easily find a 2005 T5 for $22k. Just a money saving tip ;) !

BTW, i think that if you wait until the GENEVA show, you may get a sneak peak at the next s60. Then you could choose if you wanted to wait for the new model or not. By then, theres the Model year end savings and a huge drop in the resale of the 2006model and older. Then again, thats what I would do. ;)

-Cj :)
    And 2007 would be the last year for the S60R or any other R that we thought was coming. This may be a bad move with lexus' new High performance lineup on the way. Then again, The R-line doesn't even make as much power as the stock 335i, g35/7, or is350... :sick:

-Cj
    Then again, The R-line doesn't even make as much power as the stock 335i, g35/7, or is350... :sick:

actually, it makes the same hp as the 335 and only 5 lb-ft less torque.

and it only makes 6 hp less than the G, yet has 27 more lb-ft.

and only 6 hp less than the IS350, but 19 lb-ft more. but the IS only comes with an automatic, so its a secretaries car anyway. :b

AND, according to carsdirect, I can get an S60R for $33,426. Ain't no way I'm getting a 335i for that price.

I was quite sad to read about the demise of the R. We were pondering a next-gen V70R. :(
    Now what the heck do we do?

Hey dont be too sad about the R-Line demise. As the Saying goes: "When one door closes, Another door opens" so maybe volvo has something bigger and better planned.

The 2008 s40/V50 look GREAT, like mini s80's. The s60s current position in the lineup is so overlapped IMO. The s40 outshines the s60 and the s80 is a better overall car than the s60 IMO.

I guess RWD is something to make it stand out again but who knows what Volvo may do. I hope the s60 gets something unique to make it standout. More rear room wouldn't hurt also...

What platform is the s60 on? Should it be moved to the one ford uses with the Fusion/Mazda 6? A volvo version of the edge would be cool as it may be able to handle the XC90's v8. It would make a Great XC70 instead of some Higher wagon.

-Cj
    The new S60 is going to be a much more intersteing car.

Volvo had its own platforms, no need for Mazda's.
    Mazda uses a watered down Volvo platform for the Mazda 3 anyway.

The new XC60 is coming in about a year, don't expect the V8 though.
  • jjordan2jjordan2 Posts: 5
    I'm thinking of getting a 2001 S60 2.4T and I wanted to ask you a few questions. Are S60s of this year reliable, considering they were the first model year? What are some of the common issues with the S60 that I should look out for? I know that Volvo parts can be very expensive so before I buy it what should I be looking at? I'm in college so I want to make sure I don't get into a car that's gonna be a huge drain. The mileage isn't too bad @ 98000 and it looks to be in really good condition but of course I'll have someone take a look at it just to be sure. Thanks! :)
    The S60's were quite reliable.
    However, a 98,000 mile car will doubtless need some maintenance, which can be expensive.
    CV boots, Motor mounts, water pump, Timing Belt, suspension bushings, these are all things that will need replacing eventually.
    Make sure that you have a mechanic who is familiar w/ Volvo's look the car over before you buy.
  • izzmo7998izzmo7998 Posts: 17
    2006 S60 Demo with Climate, Premium, Bi- Xenon and Wood Steering Wheel. 10K miles. Price is 23,400. 12k off MSRP. Also is it safe to buy Demos. I heard they get abuse and abuse. Please provide any input, thanks again.

Or should I get a brand new one for 27,300 - 2007 S60 with Climate & Premium?

Also can someone tell me if the maintence cost high on the S60? Like compare to the Accord? I don't want something to break down and cost me a fortune. Please advise, maybe Volvomax?
    10k miles is a little steep for a demo.
    Most don't go over 5-6k.

Don't worry about abuse, the cars are always gone over prior to sale.
    Plus, its an investment, and dealers don't abuse their own cars.
    Maintenance runs to about $180 avg every 7500 miles.
    Big service $600 or so every 60k.
    Repairs aren't cheap,so maybe an extended warranty is in order if you plan on keeping it over 50k.
    BIG BIG money to be had on a lease. So a brand new T5 would be almost $12k off MSRP anyway. So, no, I wouldn't touch one with 10k miles for that price.

But do you think 23,400 is a good price, or should I get a brand new one?
    Also what do you think a fair price for a Extended Warranty would be?
    Well,buying a new one,as opposed to leasing would run you $28-30,000 depending on the equipment.
    So the purchase price isn't bad.
    Its not great,but it isn't bad.
  • confused7confused7 Posts: 25
    Hi Izzmo

For what it's worth, here is my experience. (You can search and find my queries here re the car I bought - it might be helpful.) I bought a 2006 S60 T5 in April 06. It was a dealer car, had been put on the road in Dec 05. It had 7700 miles on it. It has a sports package, i.e., the fancy tires, but regular steering wheel (not wood).

I ended up buying it outright for $25,000 and that included a 6-yr 100k mile warranty. That's after having walked out the door, and driven away - the dealer called me 15 mins later and said ok to that price. However, given the numbers you're quoting, maybe I still paid too much? Have the prices gone down, or was I duped? Volvomax? Please explain.

Anyway I would negotiate harder than you think you can and definitely be prepared to walk out - it's just a car (and the gas mileage in the city is 18 mpg average) - though it has great seats and headrests.

Good luck.