Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• mochanipsmochanips Posts: 1
    WTB rear seat belts for my 04' S60 R. Can't find any on ebay. Any ideas anyone?
  • alltorquealltorque Posts: 535
    This is going to seem a mite obvious - put it down to my age - but have you tried a Volvo dealer ? If you're extremely lucky you may find one in a scrap yard; but I'd go the dealer route. What happened to the original rear seat belts, (presuming they were fitted - can't imagine they weren't) ?

Last of the S60's is now in the showrooms here in Europe. Build of current version has ceased and new model is on the way. If it's like the concept it will be excellent. Very sharp design and has sliding/suicide doors on the rear. Article in the UK Owners mag made it look and sound up there with the very best, (of course).
  • goddess_1goddess_1 Posts: 19
    autobody16, thanks for posting the link!

From what little is shown, I'm liking the new body style, but will be sticking with my '06 S60 until it poops out . . . Volvo will probably be onto yet another new body style by then.

The 2010 S60 looks a million times better than the latest Acura TL -- what where they thinking with that awful rear design??? :confuse:
    A year later and you finally get a response . . .

The headrest was designed to be ergonomic/keep you safe in the event of an accident, so either you have a goofy one or your neck is out of alignment (and should see a chiropractor). I find the immobile headrest comfortable most of the time . . . being female, it definitely causes neck tension if I wear my hair up. This would be one of my few gripes with the S60.
    The sliding shade for my 2006 S60 sunroof has the distracting habit of making squeak noises when I slide it to a fully open position due to road vibrations. It's still under warranty and I have had the dealer investigate 3 times - the previous 2 times, they said they fixed it (first, broken tabs, second, off alignment.) Today, they say can't find the problem - I'm pretty sure it's the Phoenix 110-dgree heat temporarily "melting" the squeak into submission.

Anyway, this has been a relatively non-stop issue that drives me nuts. My remedy has been to pull the shade back out about 2 inches upon which it quiets down. But, I always have to get it "just right."

Anyone else deal with this issue - and get it resolved?
  • They are head restraints and are a safety feature to help you from getting whiplash.
    If an automaker can make head restraints comfortable so folks can use them as "headrests," more power to them.
    Nothing personal, but basing a car buying decision on that makes as much sense as the number of cup holders a car has... :confuse:
  • I have a 2004 S60R with an auto transmission and I would like to replace it with a manual one. Has anyone attempted this or is this an impossible feat?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Not impossible, but not cheap. In addition to all the hardware you will need a new ECU. The auto trans car is detuned from manual trans spec. Merely changing the tranny won't change that. You will need to change the engine programming.
  • Thanks. After reading up on the auto tranny, I have been bound and determined to replace it for the more durable manual. I just wasn't sure if it could be done or if the cost would be more than I want to invest for the pleasure.
  • I have the same problem. I have spent alot of money trying to get it fixed by Volvo with no luck. They told me it wasn't anything serious, but the popping drives me crazy. I love my Volvo but I want the popping to stop. Did you ever find out what caused it.
  • vwdawgvwdawg Posts: 162
    Hello Volvophiles: I own an Audi A4 and have owned several V-Dubs, including a 2002 1.8T Passat which at 66K miles has already soured me on the VW brand. So, I usually stalk the VW forums. A few months back, I purchased a mint 2001 S60 (Arizona car) with 71K. So far, love it except for one item. At 75K, I started hearing an ANNOYING rattle from the front suspension. Seems to have gotten worse, and now, when going over any bumps or potholes, I hear a nasty pounding, clunking sound. I have trouble believing that the struts could be going bad at 75K. I could accept that "old age" might be a factor, but gee, this rig has lived in salt-free, sunny AZ most of it's life. Can anyone provide a good guess at what's going on? Are S60s prone to early strut failure or other suspension issues? Thanks, vwdawg/audiphile1
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,673
    It is most likely the swaybar endlinks. They are very weak and usually need replacing every 30k. UNLESS you buy the heavy duty replacements from ipd. Very easy to change yourself, if so inclined.

Now, it COULD be the upper spring mounts, as those also commonly fail, but those are usually more of a heavy clunk when doing extreme maneuvers or potholes at higher speeds. A rattling sound over small bumps at low speeds is typically the endlinks.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• alltorquealltorque Posts: 535
    Endlinks sounds most likely but I can recommend you search the following UK forum - or simply re-post your query there. Good bunch of enthusiasts and techies and I'd be enormously surprised if you didn't receive a fairly definitive answer in a trice.

Volvo Owners Club
    Hello, gbrozen: Wow, I was just going to post a THANK YOU followup to my question from this afternoon. I had already checked older postings and was very pleased to see a previous post from YOU addressing this very issue! I do most of my own repairs, so I'll inspect the swaybar endlinks first. Also wondering if these worn links can also cause the clunking/pounding noises when I hit potholes or bumps. If not, I would like to inspect those upper spring mounts...would I just jack up the vehicle to remove the spring tension, and check for play or loose parts? Finally...one other question: I believe I have just reached around 7500 miles since the prior owner serviced the vehicle, and I'm getting a "Service Needed" message. How do I shut this off after the oil change service is completed? Thanks again...glad to see that you are still a forum advisor! vwdawg
    No problem.

The upper mounts are a little tricky if they are just starting to go. What happens is the rubber around where the strut nut is cracks. Sometimes it is obvious, sometimes not. At 75k miles on an '01 it is a distinct possibility. I recently bought an '01 V70 with 82k and they were in very bad shape.

Personally, what I would do is check the endlinks and replace if bad. Then see where you are at. If some clunking still persists, then do the upper mounts. A bit more labor instensive, but still not that bad if you have a spring compressor.

As for the service light... ah, now you are testing me. I can never remember the exact process. So here it is.

edited April 2010
    What? I'm not good enough?

Seriously, though, a definitive answer is impossible without inspecting the vehicle. Heck, something could be broken, for all we really know. All we can do is give the most likely answer or a starting point.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend a UK forum. While it could be helpful, there are some differences in the cars (such as diesel engines, for example).

Thanks :) to gbrozen and alltorque....MUCH appreciated. I did remove the front wheels a couple of weeks ago and took a peek. My first Volvo, so I didn't have a clue as to what I was looking for. I'll inspect again and report back with findings. Also appreciate the reference to the SRI reset site. Great weekend to both of ya. vwdawg
  • mfeltsmfelts Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 s60r and I am getting a popping noise from the front of the car when first excelerating, turning and hitting bumps. The front r cv axle locked up and was replaced and the popping still continues. Any ideas? Im afraid it might be the spider gears in the axle housing, or could it be the sway bar ends like mentioned in the other posts. Please help. Also does anyone know how to take out the front gear housing?
    Also would the popping noise still occur on initial acceleration if it is the sway bar ends going bad?
    mfelts: I have a 2001 S60, and I'm quite sure my sway bar links are bad. Not sure what you mean by "popping noise", but I would describe my front end noise as scraping and knocking, particularly bad when going over road bumps, and it's continual whether I'm accelerating or not. It's now gotten worse, with a new "squealing" noise, so I just purchased new parts to install asap. You don't indicate the mileage on your S60, but at five years old, it would seem strange that your would have gearbox problems unless it's been driven VERY hard. Did you have the CV joint work done by a shop? If yes, I find it unacceptable that they didn't bother to check the sway bar linkage, so I would take it back there immediately and get them inspected. I would assume that the cost of sway bar link replacement is nothing compared to poking around in your gearbox. Good luck...vwdawg
    Hello, my name is mike and we might be selling our 04 s60r it only has 63000 miles on it. still a great car! the bummer with buying new is that you cant get the r models anymore, but the plus side is that you do get the dealer warranty when something goes out.
    thanks for the help, my s60r has 60000 and I did replace the cv myself. I will replace the swaybar links and see it that corrects the problem. thanks for the help.
    thanks for the help, my s60r has 60000 and I did replace the cv myself. I will replace the swaybar links and see it that corrects the problem. thanks for the help.
    Hi mfelts: Just curious whether the sway bar link replacement did the trick. Just for the record, my links WERE worn out, but that ended up being just part of the story. I also discovered that the strut mounts AND the spring seats were worn, and they were the main cause of all the rattling and bumping noises from the front end. This repair is a bit trickier, as you must remove the entire strut assembly, and use a spring compressor to remove those parts. Compressed springs can be dangerous, so make sure you have a GOOD spring compressor, a good Edmunds or other repair manual, and ideally, help from someone who is familiar with this procedure. Good luck...vwdawg
    Hey vwdawg, So after getting into the project further I replaced the sway bar links with upgraded ones from Ipd, made with polyurethane bushings they are suppose to last longer than the factory parts. The car handled amazing but still had the popping noise. I finally found that the top motor mount bushing was cracked. This is the 5th one that we have replaced on the s60r. I replaced it with upgraded bushings also from ipd and replaced the lower transmission mount with the same bushing. (just a heads up if you replace the transmission bushings you cannot buy the smaller bushing on the transmission side of the mount. So better to purchase the whole assembly.) Got everything replaced and the popping stopped. I also replaced the mounts that mount the bar above the motor that the motor mount connects to with solid ones from ipd also so that it restricts the movement of the motor. My wife says that there is another popping noise but I am afraid that it is the same problem that you have with the strut mounts. I would recommend these upgrades, made the car faster, shifts smoother and handles like a dream. The only downfall is that there is just a little bit of motor vibration that you can feel but not bad at all. hope that helped......mf
    mfelts: Thanks for the followup. Don't know if the S60s are prone to motor mount issues, but certainly good to know. My understanding is that strut mounts and spring seats tend to wear out prematurely, so keep an eye on yours if you hear other strange noises. Good luck. vwdawg
    yes, the upper motor mount (the one you can see on top of the engine when you open the hood, fails periodically. Very easy to replace yourself, should you have that problem.

• mikey38mikey38 Posts: 141
    Had an invitation a couple of weeks ago to check out the 2011 S60 at the local dearler. Very nice looking car. It carries over a lot of the interior cues from the XC60 and the updated exterior looked pretty hot to me. Couldn't drive one but I told them I'd like to get behind the wheel when they hit the showroom.
    I got a chance to sit in one at the NY autoshow this past winter. I was VERY disappointed in the rear seat legroom. Additionally, although I don't know how reliable the info, the attendant at the booth told me it would ONLY be available as a T6 AWD automatic model.