Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Optima 2006 and earlier

Comments

• capt4capt4 Posts: 32
    Please tell me what post this was first seen in ?
    And is it a CEL Optima? US car, what part of country you live in?

What is the problem with the gas tank? If this is under warranty
    or has it had many other owners experienced this problem?
    I am unaware of the issue. I suggest you check with other shops
    as to parts and labor
    Same here 04 EX Optima

Lights stay on no bell noise to remind you, like when the key is in ignition.

However mine shut off, when the lightswitch is in the auto mode
    In the winter this does not cut it. :surprise:

I do not think they will shut off in any other mode for any model
    What is strange is no bell to remind you .
    Just replaced battery

Now the airbag light stays on
    Only a Kia dealer can turn this off?

Anyone know?
  • redptcredptc Posts: 78
    I have a 07 Amanti & a 04 Optima EX, both cars have the auto lights. I usally leave the parking lights on while i am driving. The lights will shut off after i take the key out and open the drivers door. The same with the headlights,but they will shut off after you turn the key off.You must have something wrong with the system. Check your owners manuel about the bell that you don`t hear. I beleve the dealer can reset your air bag light.-------GOOD LUCK--------( I think the EX model is the only one that does it.) :shades:
    We can all help one another, by posting the experience's of Service & Sales
    on Edmonds. Whether they are dealerships or local shops in our cities and
    towns.

http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/Virginia/Fredericksburg/FredericksburgKia/ser- vice.1.newOld.html
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    That's a great idea, capt4, right on!! Here's the link that will allow everyone to choose their own locations and go from there: Dealer Ratings & Reviews.

Thanks for the suggestion!!
    Thanks Pat, I also think we should ask our friends to review some good local services ( shops ) the link is on the right side of Forums, TAB

In that way we can all get the benefit of this Forum.

Your welcome
    Capt4 :)
    I am confused one post says you can change the filter
    next to the rear tire, another is that it is in the fuel tank ?

Can we get some clearance where the fuel filter is ?

Thanks
    We should ask Kia for the badge like Volvo...

http://www.volvohelp.com/volvo_high_mileage_club.htm

get a badge for every 100,000 miles ?
    Anyone want to write Kia on this ?

from the UK

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/
  • I have a 2004 kia optima and my vehicle does the same thing. No one seems to know anything but now my cruise control is also messing up it wont come on and sometimes it wont respond.
  • lhylhy Posts: 48
    I am thinking about buying a used 2004 Optima LX with V-6 engine.

What are your opinions about the reliability of this car, especially the transmission and engine?

Are the general maintenance and repair costs expensive?

Is there an issue with the timing belt wearing out prematurely?

What kind of gas mileage do you get?
    TO be honest if there is no service records on any car whether dealer or
    small garage. serviced do not buy the car.

The reliability is good if serviced. Service is no more or less than other cars
    in its class.
    Timing belts must be replaced by 70K you can also have the car checked
    by a reputable shop for around $50 and let them go over it
  • lhylhy Posts: 48
    Are there any problems with non-dealer mechanics working on the car? Or can most generic repair shops handle a KIA?

How about the issue with the front sub-frame recall?
  • My 2004 Kia Optima has it in the tank. Open trunk door, fold back seats of car. You will see a oval cover, remove (does not have screws), you will see a round cover with about6 screws, this is your fuel pump.
    I have not done the filter replacement yet, but according some postings it is part of the pump. Just be careful since you are dealing with a very flammable area.
  • I have over 123,000 miles on the car. I get an average of 20 MPG in Las Vegas city driving. I haven't gotten any services done to the car. I need to replace the timing belt and water pump, along with other maintenance. Very well-built car in my opinion, totally changed my view of the brand.
    Thanks

I understand that you need a special tool to take the fuel filter off
    the fuel pump which is attached to it

The dealer stated that had to take out the back seat to remove the
    fuel filter, it was laborious.and costly somewhere around $ 200+ $$$$

Any idea of what the cost is to replace a simple fuel filter and
    why the heck did they put it in such a place? :confuse: :confuse:
  • skalskal Posts: 5
    Did you ever find out what was wrong with you gas tank.I am having problems filling my gas tank. I have a 2003 Optima. Would like to find out the problem if possible.

Thanks
  • skalskal Posts: 5
    I would like to hear from anyone that has a solution to fixing a problem with filling the gas tank. I have 2003 Optima and when I try to fill the gas tank the pump cuts off about every 2 seconds like the tank is full. It takes 15 minutes to put gas in the car.
  • I have searched the web and cannot find this data. Specifications seem to be limited to basics about the engine but not this far.

If you know or can refer me to the proper source I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
  • my Optima over the past 2-3 weeks has been having problems firing or starting in the morning. It trys to "roll over" then when i try a second time it usually fires and starts. It has gotten harder to start day by day. After it runs for about a minute or less you can turn it off and then it starts up fine. My mechanic hooked up gauges to the fuel pump and fuel filter, but everything comes up as normal on the computer. He is gonna try to replace the spark plugs and see if that helps or fixes the problem. He also wanted to replace the spark plug wiring (total bill was close to $500) I don't have the money for that kind of fix.

Any help would be appreciated!